Sweetser Employee Reviews

Child Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Saco, MEFebruary 4, 2016
Everyone treats you well and works well together. Very friendly. Pay and hours are decent. Since I worked in the field they provided me with a laptop and phone which was appreciated.
Pros
coworkers and management
Cons
no major cons
Great place to work with children and families of Maine.
Residential Services Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Hampden, MEJanuary 17, 2016
A day at Sweetser was never the same and it provided daily opportunities to make a difference in life of children and their families. The hardest part of my job was finding a balance between work, life, and school.
Pros
Opportunity for growth, teamwork.
Cons
Balance between work, life, and school.
Productive work place and great clients and providers
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lewiston, MESeptember 2, 2015
A typical day at work consisted of me checking the providers schedules. I would answer phones and check clients in and out for appointments and schedule their next appointment.
I learned more about team work and how to handle clients that were upset. I learned more about organization and how to work with the clients schedule. I also learned about handling highly stressful situations.
My co-workers and I had to work very close with one another and keep the communication going.
The hardest part of my job was when a client would come in 5 minuets late or more and they would have to reschedule because the provider would not see them. The clients would be very upset with this situation. Even though this could be very stressful I was almost always able to handle the situation on my own. If not this was when working as a team would come in.
The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing the clients come in daily and working as a team with my co-workers. We had some good times.
Pros
Good times
Cons
Stressful at times
The worst work experience I ever endured
Case Manager/Community Integration Worker (Former Employee) –  Lewiston, MEJune 19, 2015
Here is a quick summary of this poorly operated company:
Unrealistic expectations of staffs workload
Punitive and shaming treatment of staff
Unqualified management (only get the job because of who they know)
Questionable ethics?
Poor clinical decisions
Lack of consistent communication regarding changes in policies and procedures

I have NOTHING positive to say about this company. If you value your own mental health, you will not work there.
Pros
benefits were ok
Cons
see above description
Unstable place of employment
Behavioral Health Professional (Former Employee) –  Sanford, MEJune 16, 2015
I thoroughly enjoyed the work I did while with the clients, but as far as the administration aspect of the organization, there was little left to be desired. There is no room for growth and the organization places a greater emphasis on the monetary aspect, rather than quality of care for their clients.
Good Place to work, Room for advancement
Youth and Family Counselor (Current Employee) –  Saco, MEMarch 25, 2015
Good place to work if your looking to be in the Social services field.
Room for advancement. High turnover though. Pay scale is on the lower side. Benefit packages are awful, and very expensive.
Pros
Room for internal andvancement
Cons
Pay is low, benefits are expensive
Milieu management, fast paced,assisting LSCW
YOUTH AND FAMILY CRISIS COUNSELOR (Former Employee) –  Saco, MEMarch 10, 2015
My typical day at work involved overnight follow-up, assisting youths in daily routines, working with 3-4 other staff, aiding youth with communication problems, computer work, organizing activities, and coordinating staff with clients, caregivers, and clinicians. I learned communication skills, teamwork, office work, and patience. The management was inconsistent. My co-workers were smart and helpful. The hardest part of the job was the tolerance of management towards the mistreatment of the clients. The most enjoyable part of the job was making a difference in the lives of families for the better.
Pros
working with children and families, free meals
Cons
inconsistencies within the agency
Professional and pleasant place to work.
Affiliate Billing Specialist (Extern) (Former Employee) –  Saco, MEDecember 8, 2014
I was able to grasp a fairly complete knowledge of the billing process in the short time I was there. The employees were very helpful.
Good people, solid mission, excellent supervisor
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Saco, MEJuly 16, 2014
I have worked in many places. Sweetser has a strong commitment to its mission and to the well-being of its staff. I feel appreciated and supported in my work.
Working at Sweetser
Administrative Support Supervisor (Former Employee) –  SacoMay 27, 2014
Sweetser is a great place to work! I was employed in the HIM department as a supervisor of client records, intake specialist, and admin support staff. Working all over various locations there was definitely no typical day for me. I traveled from Saco to Bangor and several locations in between. All locations I supervised were set up differently and according to the needs of the community.
I really enjoyed the fact that I was trusted to do my job and was never having the burden of my supervisor breathing down my back and always asking what I was doing.
The hardest part of my job was being so far away from my kids if something were to happen or if I got a call that they were sick and needed to be picked up. It was stressful. On the flip side if I had stay home and work due to sick kids I was able to do that with no questions. Management is very easy to get along with and there are no issues as far as I am concerned.
Pros
time off needed was always approved
Cons
not a great deal of room for advancement, locations all over the state and it's impossible to be in 2 places at once
Third Shift
Youth and Family Counselor (Former Employee) –  Saco, MEMay 15, 2014
It was pretty easy, the kids are all really sweet. The hours sucked but I was relief so I wasn't always guaranteed hours.
Top heavy organization
Residential (Former Employee) –  MaineMay 8, 2014
Direct support people are fresh meat. They restructure often and lay people off. Human Resources lies.
Pros
helping kids
Cons
arrogant managers
Sweetser's cause and intentions are good and honorable
Youth and Family (Former Employee) –  Saco, MEDecember 28, 2013
I value working with the population within Sweetser and that I was able to be a value to the people; both children and adults.
WAS a good company but now it's all about friends and family
YFC (Former Employee) –  Saco, MEApril 17, 2013
If you know someone or are related to someone at Sweetser this will be an easy place to get into and a great place for advancement. Most of your co-workers are great people. Management is no help in a crisis. It doesn't matter how good you are at your job you won't advance if you don't have a friend or you are the only one to apply for the position. Sweetser often hires people that are not qualified for the position they are hired for.
Pros
good people to work with
Cons
no chance for advancement, raises few and far between again doesn't matter how well you do your job.
family politics with no opportunity for advancement
Ed Tech (Former Employee) –  Saco, MEJanuary 2, 2013
Little to no support from management. Family run business with plenty of advancement opportunities IF you are related in one way or another to management/leadership. If you are looking for career advancement this is not the place for you. Job security is great as there is not much that will get you fired- many have actively tried to no avail.
Pros
great hours, holidays off, job security
Cons
family politics, terrible management, little support
A good opportunity to learn about yourself and others
Youth & Family Counselor I (Former Employee) –  Saco, MEAugust 5, 2012
This was a great job that allowed me to learn about myself as a person as well as how I related to others in terms of working with them.
Pros
fun staff, fun kids
Cons
no breaks, worked holidays
Youth and familys councler
Youth and Families Counselor (Former Employee) –  Saco, MEMarch 30, 2012
helping kids learn how to handle to real world. Helping state funded kids to learn how to live on there own.