Swift Transportation

Swift Transportation Employer Reviews

A great place to learn to drive a truck
Company driver (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZMarch 26, 2015
Pros: instructors are very ernest in teaching you how to drive a truck.
Cons: short home time
Swift taught me well but you get tired of always being away from home. You are away from your family and friends for very long periods of time. You can make good money ,but you never home long enough to enjoy it.
Have the right attitude
OTR O/O Driver (Current Employee), Lancaster, TXMarch 24, 2015
Trucking is not a great job...it's a decent job that many grow to love. It's not easy in the beginning and like most places no one takes you seriously (read competent) until you've been around at least a year or more with no accidents or service failures.

In every business you will have people difficult to work with, the good news with Swift is that you can change dispatchers, terminals, and other issues pretty much whenever you feel the need. Keep in mind however, that this is not a job where you get paid to just show up. It's hard work in the sense that it is a different lifestyle for most people.
General Information
Safety Lane Tech (Former Employee), Lancaster, TXMarch 24, 2015
>Depending on the time of the year it was a good day depending on the weather that i had to work in.
>Any shortcuts to repairing wires & lights.
>Management was tolerable.
>They were good to work with.
>Trying to find enough time to do the jobs allotted in the day.
>Being appreciated for my work.
Productive Fast Pace Work environment
Driver Leader(Driver Manager) (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZMarch 24, 2015
Managing a fleet of 50+ drivers daily, from load scheduling, routing, milage, hours of service, hometime, driver reviews, and payroll issues.
not what you would expect from a transportation giant
CDL Truck Driver (Current Employee), Phoenix, AZMarch 16, 2015
Pros: help with obtaining Class A CDL
Cons: too many to list
not one promise made during hiring process is true
unexplained deductions on paychecks
constant excuses from dispatch and driver managers regarding changes
great place to work.
Commercial Driver (Former Employee), Lathrop, CAMarch 12, 2015
Pros: friendly management and co-workers
Great company, good working conditions, clean working environment, great staff and great co-workers.Unhooking one load to a new load planning trip driving load to destination,logs there were no hard parts to this job and the most enjoyable part was the driving.
Pleased that I was able to train and have a job after training
Over The Road Truck Driver (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZMarch 10, 2015
Pros: was able to see different states
Cons: no refrigerator on truck had to buy my own fridge to put food in.
I drove over the road on a flatbed and Van. Secured loads with straps, winches, chains, and binders. Transported Van Loads. Transported steel, sheet rock, lumber, landscaping materials and other materials. Scanned delivery paperwork.
Swift Trucking
Driver (Former Employee), Decatur GeorgiaMarch 10, 2015
Pros: miss guiding
Cons: training only takes 4 weeks then another 4 weeks out with a mentor
They sell you dreams until you actually get there and everything they said or promised is the complete opposite. It was an okay job, my recruiter just mislead me had me thinking this and that but once he got me the bus ticket he could care less about me lol! It all was an learner experience without them I wouldn't know none of what I know today, so I am grateful. Then I didn't know after completing the training it was additional training being out with a mentor for an additional month. That kind of ticked me off but I did what I had to do to better myself and start on my career. I worked for swift for four months but, giving y family situation I cant afford to be over the road therefore im looking for something local.
Training company
Professional Driver (Former Employee), Troutdale, ORMarch 7, 2015
Pros: decent pay get to see the u.s.
Cons: home every three weeks for a few days.
Good place to start for new drivers or those who are looking into getting their commercial license. They have their own academy and you are placed with a mentor fairly quickly after getting your license.
Enjoyed traveling
TRUCK DRIVER (Former Employee), Decatur, GAMarch 7, 2015
Pros: traveling
Cons: time
Working for Swift has been a tough experience, but a good experience as well. I was able to get the proper training and experience for job placement after completing the swift driving academy. However I was seeking financial stability and was not able to get that with little experience.
You have to start somewhere, but you can do a lot better than Swift.
OTR Company Driver (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZMarch 3, 2015
Over the year I was employed by Swift I spent more time waiting for a load than I did actually driving. They never got me home on time, or even tried so far as I could tell. I went through 4 trucks due to the condition they were in prior to my being assigned them (one truck made it 3 miles from the terminal before it violently died, minutes after picking up a load that was then late due to the truck I'd just been issued). The dispatchers are drama queens (the 2 I experienced both were) and when they utterly fail you as a driver, as they both did, if you say anything about it to anyone, the loads you get after will be garbage. There's a lot of trucking companies out there, don't sell yourself short.
Every day is an adveture.
OTR Driver (Former Employee), Sparks, NVMarch 2, 2015
Pros: travel, freedom, no dress code (except no open toe shoes)
Cons: away from home weeks at a time, truck break down = no pay, can't always get home when needed, restroom facilities not always available right when you need them.
A typical day of OTR driving with Swift consists of daily vehicle inspections, route planning, Navigating, vehicle fueling, communication with driver manager and hauling product via tractor trailer cross country.

I learned how to do trip planning, drive in seasonal conditions, navigate, drive commercial vehicle in large cities and how to live in a compact area.

Management and co-workers were rarely seen unless we were at a Swift terminal. I mostly communicated with my driver manager with questions pertaining load that was being hauled. You respect them, they respect you.

The hardest part of the job was being away from home for usually over a month at a time, not being able to use restroom facilities right away, shower daily, maintain a healthy diet and lack of exercise

The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing the country, meeting new people, seeing different cultures and just learning something new every day.
Driving in all types of weather conditions I've experienced it...
Owner Op - OTR (Former Employee), Decatur, GAMarch 2, 2015
I've Learned that Black Ice OTR is alot dangerous than you think..Its an overall good company they just need to find new people to work as the Driver Managers because the swift terminal in Decatur, Ga does not know how to run a successful business.
Bad place to work
Driver (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZFebruary 28, 2015
Will let you sit in the truck stops for a few days. you have forced dispatches. will try not to get you home when you want to go. wont give you the miles they promised.
A good place to start a driving carrer
Tractor Trailer Driver (Former Employee), Syracuse, NYFebruary 25, 2015
Pros: good enviroment to work
Cons: low pay back those times
my first experience as a truck driver and i still love drive today,they have a tractor trucks terminals bases almost in every state which i love it.The only thing its back that time iwas begining my driving carrer and dicide to change and stay driving local with other company.
Great company that treat their drivers bad
CDL Class A Driver (Current Employee), South FloridaFebruary 25, 2015
Pros: pay, benefits, take him a truck
Cons: limited days home, forced dispatched, petty games
Pros: They help you get a cdl. As a solo new driver .33 cent per mile.

Cons:The academy sUcks. No one on one time you have to be able to use youtube and google properly and inplement it. Its no free food or bonuses no matter what the recruitment tell you. They treat the drivers horrible. Im a new driver and they have spiteful times they would have me wait 5 days out on the road in the winter for a 300 mile empty then a T-call. Smh. I don't understand how such a big company with so many "loads" can have driver siting like ducks. Same with an owner op. Had him siting for 3 weeks. They kept playing the dispatch game where they "dispatched" him to no loads so he couldn't get any. Smh it's crazy the games the DM's play.
Not What You Expect
Tractor Trailer Operator (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZFebruary 24, 2015
Cons: away from home, pay is horrible
Truck driving at its worst. You are told one thing and given numerous explanations as to why it was not true in the first place.
satisfactory
OTR Driver (Current Employee), augusta, gaFebruary 23, 2015
I enjoy driving over the road although i am not at home much, management could be better but my current overall experience is ok.
Very routine & cultured diverse environment.
Fleet Manager (Former Employee), Chicago Ridge, ILFebruary 19, 2015
Pros: good benefits, vacation
Cons: at time upper management is confusing. when you expect them to have your back, knowing all the pressure your on, they turn their heads and leave you to the fire.
Typical workday for managers starts anywhere from 5 am to 7am. As on onsite manager I worked from 5-3. These hours however were dependent on if you accomplished certain tasks. Otherwise you were in earlier the next day. Management was their. I had a boss who always was their for me until the very end. Co-workers were great, It was more of a team environment. Hardest part of the job would be attempting to accomplish all the tasks to satisfy your drivers an boss's. The most enjoyable part of the job was you made alot of long lasting relationships with the drivers.
great people to work with
Truck Driver Class (Former Employee), Lancaster, TXFebruary 16, 2015
worked here for about 7years one year as company driver and the rest was owner operator had a great time traing and also had did a target account

1 2 3 4 5

About Swift Transportation

Swift Corporation is a truckload carrier that operates a fleet of truckload carrier equipment.

Swift Transportation Photos