Swift Transportation

Swift Transportation Employee Reviews

starter
Driver (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZFebruary 9, 2016
swift transportation company located in phoenix arizona is a good starter company for new drivers. i have nothing bad to say about my time with this company
productive
truck driver (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZFebruary 8, 2016
A typical day at work pre-trip to make sure your equipment is in working order also cleaning out the trailer for Your next load. With a good driver manager you can be productive and make good money. Hardest part of the job is the weather, lack of information, locations sometimes are not really truck accessible.
Pros
You get to see the country and different life styles
Cons
Drivers are dangerous around big trucks
Good place to get experience but not a career
Owner/Operator (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZFebruary 7, 2016
Swift is to big of a company to have a career in. But if you need the experience, just starting out in this industry Swift would be good for you. Overall Swift is a company that will think about themselves before thinking about the drivers. The pay is good but your not getting your full pay. Swift pay by the Rand McNally Home Movers Guide, which only pays from zip code to zip code. You will lose on average about 50 to 100 unpaid miles.
Pros
Good For Experience
Cons
everything
Great experience working here
Over the Road Truck driver (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZFebruary 3, 2016
Working here has helped me getting experience in working on cars. The pay is not very good. Lousy pay for long hours. The best part of this job is that you get to work on cars and get to meet new people that love cars too.
one of the best jobs ever
Driver/Operator (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTFebruary 3, 2016
Start off your day by inspecting the truck. I learn to drive and cooperate with other on a whole new level. The management was great and had also co-workers. The hardest part of the job is probably to use the com-cast and the best part is traveling the world.
Pros
great food and weather.
Cons
training and classes werent long enough.
Truck driver
Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZFebruary 2, 2016
Pickup and deliver products to customer in safe manner. Travel in USA and Canada to deliver products. Driving requires driving in all weather and conditions.
Pros
travel the country
Cons
never home
compnay driver
Truck driver (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJanuary 28, 2016
ok job, but some of the driver leaders and managers are very unconcerned with any thing that does not pertain to making the company money.
running a transportation dock
Foreman/Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Lancaster, TXJanuary 28, 2016
working at different shifts managing the dock and the personal and the equipment. the company was a good place to learn different job positions to hone my people skills
good money,bad working on the road
OTR Driver/Trainer (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJanuary 27, 2016
I didnt like being away from home all the time.other than that it was good money with ok management and excellent advancement opportunities.
Fun being on the road
Commercial Driver (Former Employee) –  Jurupa Valley, CAJanuary 26, 2016
Long hours and no days off, this isn't a job for everyone.
The plus is that you work alone with minimal oversight.
The minus is dangerous conditions due to weather, highway conditions and other drivers.
Pros
Being your own boss
Cons
No time off
Would not get you home for your home time
Driver (Former Employee) –  Greer, SCJanuary 24, 2016
Swift will keep you out even though you have requested home time,
they don't pay you what they agree to for layover, breakdown.
I stayed broke down more than rolling
Pros
dispatcher
Cons
Too many breakdowns, pay never right.
Receptionist/Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJanuary 20, 2016
A very busy front lobby, many vendors and customers thru the day. Very happy employees many have been here many years. Co-workers are very pleasant. Hardest part of my job is saying no to a room reservation someone requested and is not available.
Pool tables, showers ,Sitting area for
Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJanuary 19, 2016
Driving truck to and from customer with the capacities of 3 tons or more. Checking with the Security officer at the gate to determine which door I will be loading or unloading at. Maintaining records of the bills from the companies.
Pros
Awesome company to work for Good benefits package.
Cons
Hard to change to other divisions in the company .
traveling and meeting new people is something i love to do
Licensed CDL Truck Operator (Former Employee) –  Decatur, GAJanuary 18, 2016
A typical day would consist of an inspection of the truck and proceeding to the destination im assigned to. The best part about the road is sight seeing and meeting new people. Worst part about driving would be weather conditions but most times the weather would be ok.
Pros
control of your own schedule
Cons
less sleep
I truly love this job.
Logistics Specialist (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNJanuary 16, 2016
I truly consider this job a home away from home. I was able to maintain a high standard of being totally involved in my job while meeting DOT standard and laws.
Great Place to start, Horrible place to stay
Truck Driver Class A (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLJanuary 16, 2016
Orientation was a joke and once you start working for them they will say you get $150 for orientation. This only applies if you live 50 miles or more from their distribution center. Problem is you cant work for them on this account if you live more then 30 miles from them so don't expect to see that money. They will also tell you that you will make $450 a week while doing 5 weeks of training. This was a lie based on my experience and only saw $100 - $150 a week. After my first week after training i got one good check then was making a weekly income of about $350. I stayed because i was loyal and didn't believe in cutting and running. I asked for all the long hauls they had that no one wanted.

This all went downhill once they told me i was on safety hold because their computers had stated my license was suspended which it was not. I went and got documents from the DMV showing I was current and they said, "Ok we'll handle it". I sat around for a week and a half no phone calls from them or any contact. I called and they said i was still on safety hold. They had made it seemed like they fired me so i looked for another company to work for and was immediately hired.

The next day I received a call from the terminal manager who was angry and said, "I've been calling you everyday but i see you left to go work for (Company)" My reply was "yes i have a mortgage and you haven't allowed me to work for the last week and a half, i received no phone calls or voice mails from you and had assumed i was fired." He replies, "You don't have to lie to me, but good luck working for (curse)
  more... (Company), I'll process your termination now." And in the same day my new company calls me to tell me SWIFT wrote a very nasty review about me to them and had lied saying i had not driven the respective amount of months i was supposed to have which made the new company place me in a refresher course. I'm a loyal person and never did I want to leave a company on a bad note. Lesson of the story is, If you plan to work for SWIFT be ready to play games and deal with a management team that act's like a bunch of kids and not adults for little or no pay.

Note: (And their trucks and equipment are outdated beat up and abused.)
Pros
Cant think of any....
Cons
Little pay, Beat up and abused trucks, incompetent management
Good place to start
CDL A DRIVER (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKJanuary 16, 2016
If you're lookin to start a new career in trucking, SWIFT ain't too bad. I first started out with USA TRUCK, what a horrible experience!!!. Swift has good-excellent equipment and that matters alot as a rookie.. Their rules are strict and the pay is low, but hey, you're still a rookie and u gotta start somewhere right. Try Swift for a year and move on.. Trucking is a game, learn to play it..
Pros
Good equipment/ benefits
Cons
Slow trucks
just a basic trucking job
Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Edwardsville, KSJanuary 15, 2016
benefits are to expensive, recruters lie to get you in, there are miles if you are willing to cut corners and not your full job, and some dispatchers and fleet managers are not the easiest to work with.
Not a Good Training for Women
student (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNJanuary 14, 2016
I went to the school in Memphis The On range recruiters are very arrogant and Say smart remarks which is very discouraging while your trying to learn. The show you 1 time how to do something and expect you to know it then test you later that day. If you dont pass you go home!. Its a teach yourself program basically
Pros
They give you 1 free lunch the first day
Traveling was great
Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJanuary 13, 2016
I would travel about 500 miles per day. I learned to be more aware of my surroundings for the safety of myself and others. Management advise me of toll booths that I would have to travel through and pay out of my own pocket. The hardest part of my job would be when I didn't get paid and had to have my family western union me money to my current positon in the U.S.
Pros
Travel
Cons
Not being paid on time