Swift Transportation Employee Reviews

Found 1,414 reviews matching the search
Drivers were good
Driver (Former Employee) –  Fontana, CAMay 23, 2017
Learned many things, the travel was fun, dispatch was not friendly. Dot rules and regulations are tough and one must know them, the drivers I was assigned to were knowledgeable
No home tine
CDL Class A Driver (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMay 23, 2017
Barely any home time and not good money. Only way to make good money is to stay gone months at a time Never get to see family short loads managers are awful
great communications
Driver (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKMay 23, 2017
good company to work for they take care of you they are kind and caring individuals that work hard for their employees
anytime I called with a question they was very helpful and always had an answer for me
Great work environment
Diesel Technician (Former Employee) –  West Valley City, UTMay 23, 2017
I definitely enjoyed my time while I was employed at Swift Transportation. Great work environment. Management dedicates themselves to working with the employees and creating that enjoyable work environment. It was great getting to know some of the drivers that are employed there and learning some helpful tips and also teaching them what they can do to make every trip a safe one. The co-workers are friendly and knowledgeable and assist you with acquiring the skills and knowledge you need to perform routine tasks required for the company. All around great place to work. If I had the chance to go back I would. I would definitely recommend this establishment to anyone who asks.
Swift
Parts coordinator (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 23, 2017
Swift is an ok company to work for if you are a driver - they do not care anything about there regular employees- they dont do raises and the people that has been here a long time like to micro manage you . My location sucks - nasty dirty and no women bathroom at all.
Underpaid & underminded
Professional Driver (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMay 22, 2017
Horrible just horrible. I'm starving out here. Can't get home time, can't get a raise, can't get paid right. I have to call payroll almost weekly and go over my check. I don't receive detention pay almost ever! My driver leader is amazing & helps in any way he can. Thats the only plus!
All depends if you're otr or local
Driver (Former Employee) –  Rialto, CAMay 21, 2017
I did dedicated WalMart in FL and Target in CA. Walmart in FL was badly paid and had no set schedule. Target in CA was very well paid for a few years but changed to hourly with no OT, also not a set schedule.
Pros
Somewhat easy to transfer
Cons
no set schedule
Good first CDL job
Commercial Vehicle Driver (Current Employee) –  West Valley City, UTMay 21, 2017
If you like driving and don't mind being gone all the time this is the job for you. As an over the road driver I saw a big chunk of the country. My driver manager was great and always tried to keep me running loads.
Use to be good
Director (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAMay 20, 2017
This company stopped caring about its employees 10 years ago, too much political stuff and not enough family oriented! Not a good place to work 10 years behind in compensation also.
Pros
Locations
Cons
Everything else
Fun work place
OTR Driver (Current Employee) –  Lancaster, TXMay 19, 2017
I like driving for swift so far it's not easy but I enjoy the work.the people here try their best to make you a good driver. I am having a hard but good time driving so far .
Pros
Good environment
Cons
Long days
Good people, varied pace of work.
Driver Services Safety Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Sumner, WAMay 18, 2017
Worked there for 13 years and still would be if job had not been eliminated. Still in contact with many of my fellow workers and plan on maintaining those contacts.
Cons
40 mile commute each day, each way
Unorganized and confusing environment to work
Truck Driver (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNMay 17, 2017
Qualcomm messages are confusing, and the directions are not accurate. Half the loads they send are a waste of time. Driver leaders have problems helping new drivers find solutions to problems.
Not bad
Driver (Former Employee) –  Monroe, GAMay 17, 2017
Not bad company they will work before your 10 hours are most of the time you will stay in your truck over night but the pay is good if you run hard thanks
Do your job, and learn how to play "the game." Then you shall get your just reward.
CDL A Truck Driver (Current Employee) –  Syracuse, NYMay 16, 2017
I've been with Swift for about 8 years. I was lucky to get a mentor who lived only 8 miles from me. I was home every weekend during my training, but I believe that I was the exception to the rule. If you're a family man/woman, it's tough being away from them at first. What I mean by that, is I hated being away from home/family, but I bided my time, and I looked for a local driving job while on 10 hour break. There isn't much out there until you get at least 6 months experience, but more like a year's worth. I did regional and got a dedicated run after about a year and a half. I did that run for about a year and a half, and then Swift lost the account. Back on regional for a short time, and I'm currently on my 4th year on a dedicated, local run. I'm home every night with my wife and kids, not missing any little league or high school sporting events. I'm making a pretty good salary now too. My advice is don't be a whine bag, do the things (runs) you don't really want to, and hopefully get lucky as I have with a great Driver Leader (Manager. I've had the same one for all but my first 2 months). The pay is low to start, but if you can prove yourself, and stick it out, you should be able to make some money. DO NOT GO "owner" operator. You won't own anything except a marriage to a truck you can't divorce. I love my current position, my dispatcher, and the Extended Coverage Team @ my terminal. This took some time, and I stuck it out. I might not have if I didn't have so many people relying on me. 1 more thing. I saw some people list independence as a "Pro" for driving for Swift. It  more... used to be. They know what you, and your truck are doing at all times. Qualcomm's keep track of all the truck data, and the Drive Cam's (Camera analyzing your driving) keep track of any, and all driving mistakes you make.  less
Pros
Home Time*, Salary, Time off
Cons
No longer freedom on the road, starting pay, Expensive Health Ins., Benefits are a liabilty.
Clean tractors
Driver (Former Employee) –  Lathrop, CAMay 16, 2017
Overall seift is not a bad company to drive for. My experiance was pretty awful. The planners always gave me loads that i couldnt deliver on their time scale, every now and again i got a decent load. Lots of sitting around. I was employed before swift and knight merged.
fast paced work enviremnet
Trailer Technician (Former Employee) –  El Paso, TXMay 15, 2017
repair incoming trailers along with helping the drivers maintain or repair the trailers they are moving. ensure proper Dot inspections are done in a timely manner
Pros
carrer growth advancement fun work envirment
Cons
N/a
Wld love 2 go back if i decide 2 go back OTR
O/O Driver (Former Employee) –  Greer, SCMay 15, 2017
GREAT COMPANY. I would love to be able to go back to Swift in the event that I one day decide to go back over the road. My driving team was excellent and always kept me moving.
Pros
Great miles
Cons
2 Many miles
productive and busy
Advisor (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMay 14, 2017
typical work day is busy but i learn new things hourly, i work from home so workplace culture is calm. its hard delivering bad news to vendors. most enjoyable part is saving on gas working from home.
Pros
work from home
Cons
short breaks (rwo ten min breaks)
Company Driver Only
CDL Driver (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMay 13, 2017
As long as you stay a company driver you will and can succeed with Swift. I was a company driver for 1.5 yrs and made a decent pay check, when I became Owner Operator my pay checks doubled but you have to stay out on the road to continue to make that kinds of wage.
Pros
Always freight coming and going
Cons
Home times and Owner Operator Division is lacking what it takes to keep drivers
Okay
Professional Driver (Current Employee) –  MichiganMay 12, 2017
When I was a company driver times were good. They don't pay the o/o enough to survive. The driver leaders don't get in the way and it is actually a "no force load" company. They don't even try to pressure you. Like all the other trucking companies they try to get you home on time but don't do the best job with finding the freight you need to get there.
Pros
Get to see the country
Cons
Very long periods away from home

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Swift Transportation. Our community is ready to answer.

2.7