Swift Transportation Employee Reviews in United States

Found 1,038 reviews matching the search
I cannot think of a single pro comment regarding employment at Swift transportation
Class A CDL Driver (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMarch 3, 2016
Class A CDL Driving for Swift Transportation is long hours for low pay while complying with Dept. of Tran. time regulations. It is very hard to comment on co-workers as you are with one another very little time. Management normally was a message on the company communication system or a phone call. Hardest part of the job was meeting schedule on-time safely. Most enjoyable part of the job was home-time with family.
Pros
Great job for a loner
Cons
Terrible job for anyone who is not a loner
Just a bad company
OTR Driver (Former Employee) –  Troutdale, ORFebruary 14, 2016
Terrible communication, bad equipment, management is terrible and not supportive and the pay is not competitive. the benefits are not good.
Pros
Cons
pretty much everything
Great place for experience
CDL Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Harrisonville, MODecember 5, 2015
I learned a great deal about customer service, planning and the shipping industry. At Swift they will work you as much as you are willing to work. You have the potential to earn a nice income with them and can travel. It is difficult to work with them and raise a family, especially if you have small kids. They will work around your schedule, however if you set your time out too far you may not get as many miles as you would like since the loads that have some distance on them leave out early so as to get to their delivery point on time.
Pros
perfect opportunity to advance
Cons
pay is based on mileage as the crow flies
Good place to start
CDL A DRIVER (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKJanuary 16, 2016
If you're lookin to start a new career in trucking, SWIFT ain't too bad. I first started out with USA TRUCK, what a horrible experience!!!. Swift has good-excellent equipment and that matters alot as a rookie.. Their rules are strict and the pay is low, but hey, you're still a rookie and u gotta start somewhere right. Try Swift for a year and move on.. Trucking is a game, learn to play it..
Pros
Good equipment/ benefits
Cons
Slow trucks
Great place to start your career as a truck driver.
Truck Driver Class A CDL (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMarch 7, 2016
Swift hired me right out of truck driving school and my experience with them was nothing but pleasant. I learned a lot about this industry and was able to advance quickly as a mentee, mentor and then an owner operator. I had a great experience as an OTR driver and I learned a lot about how to run my own business. The hardest part of my experience was being away from my family for extended periods of time but otherwise it was rewarding for me because of how much I learned which is why I am the confident and professional driver I am today.
Pros
Plenty of advancement and learning opportunities
Cons
Long periods of being away from home.
Extremely Stressful
On-site Tranportaion Leader (Current Employee) –  Salem, NCNovember 19, 2015
I have been with Swift for 8.5 years.

The only time that there was a work/life balance was before I moved into a management role. At that time, life went out the window and it became all work...even on my days off.

In my current role, there are only 2 of us that work an account. One of us, my supervisor handles a DC in Carlisle, PA and I have the NC DC, however with all of the extra projects that are thrust upon him, I tend to know more about what is going on in the building he sits in that he does. Neither of us are ever truly off work, even when we take vacation.
Good starter company
OTR Driver (Former Employee) –  Lancaster, TXFebruary 23, 2016
I drove for Swift for 6 months and had a good time there. I was lucky enough to be assigned to a nicer dm who would try her best to meet her drivers needs, whether it was to put in missing pay, getting us home, finding loads, etc. Swift has a strict policy with idle time and fuel consumption for obvious reasons and will not hesitate to tell you what you are doing wrong. Like any large company, there is not a lot of camaraderie and special treatment. Pay could be better.
Pros
Not a lot of micro management unless doing something wrong, driver appreciation week (free food), decent amount of freight
Cons
driver pay, just a number, issues with pay (always double check with your records)
Clean enviroment
Dedicated Truck Driver (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMarch 21, 2016
Driving state to state ,I learned to be patience with the customers.Helping others drivers when they are in need.Waiting on the loads at the dock
Pros
raises
benefits
Reliable work, company system wastes all your time.
OTR Team Driver (Former Employee) –  Jurupa Valley, CAMarch 8, 2016
Get a bad nights sleep, wake up at a truck stop or rest area, take 10 minutes to brush your teeth and take over a 12 hour shift for your co-driver. Our direct driver manager was great, upper management...not good. For the driver. probably good for company bottom line! Hardest part of the job was constant sleep deprivation and just life on the road in general. Most enjoyable part was you get to see the country, and no lack of work
Pros
Any breakdown problems are quickly fixed
Cons
Sketchy pay system, company inefficencies slow everything down
ok place to work but can better myself
TRUCK AN TRAILER MECHANIC (Current Employee) –  syarcuse nyFebruary 18, 2016
to much corporate paperwork, they would rather spend money on stupid stuff then paying the employees that work there hardest to save them money a raise, an its impossible to get a raise

Want to know more about Swift Transportation?

Ask a question
Hard to be away from home for so long
Truck Driver (Current Employee) –  ArizonaFebruary 18, 2016
A typical day at work was to go somewhere and pick up a load and deliver it from 1-6 days later. I had to time manage to ensure on time pick up and delivery with respect to weather conditions, traffic conditions and meet the needs of customers. Their management staff was excellent to work with. The hardest part of my job is being away from my family for long periods of time. The most enjoyable part of my job is meeting lots of new people and getting to come home to see my family.
good money,bad working on the road
OTR Driver/Trainer (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJanuary 27, 2016
I didnt like being away from home all the time.other than that it was good money with ok management and excellent advancement opportunities.
Good place to get experience but not a career
Owner/Operator (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZFebruary 7, 2016
Swift is to big of a company to have a career in. But if you need the experience, just starting out in this industry Swift would be good for you. Overall Swift is a company that will think about themselves before thinking about the drivers. The pay is good but your not getting your full pay. Swift pay by the Rand McNally Home Movers Guide, which only pays from zip code to zip code. You will lose on average about 50 to 100 unpaid miles.
Pros
Good For Experience
Cons
everything
About the bottom line.
Office (Former Employee) –  United StatesJanuary 7, 2016
The culture there is a culture of blame. In working in the office I saw blame placing taking priority to everything. The safety department puts out rules that are unsafe. Telling drivers to drive half the posted speed in every corner. Telling them not to idle in 100 plus degree weather. Then operations complains that the drivers make poor time. Drivers complain of poor miles and too much down time.The student drivers are not well trained and consequently have accidents fresh off the mentors truck. As part of operations I constantly explained to drivers how to legally log. Some students reported they didn't know what all the gauges on their dash meant because their mentors never explained it and they were encouraged to just drive. Not all drivers are gems, but the lack of training hurts those with potential. Management has no problem throwing others under the bus for failures of the company in general. For the most part the people employed are great people. But the policies from upper management are poor, impractical, and sometimes actually lose money for the company. Full disclosure I was fired by the home office due to an audit by their customers where they found stop times were changed to reflect on time deliveries. At the terminal I worked at this was common practice and I was part of it. I was specifically taught by multiple people how to do it during my time there. I am told this no longer happens to the credit of swift. I never arrived late, went home early, or missed a day, and was a loyal employee to the company. Getting fired was the BEST THING THAT EVER HAPPENED TO  more... ME AND I AM GLAD TO BE GONE.  less
Pros
Good pay, lots of over time, chances to move up due to turn over.
Cons
Weak upper management, safety department totally disconnected from the road
Reliable and Trustworthy and Honest in my Positions
Truck Driver (Current Employee) –  Los Lunas, NMJuly 1, 2016
1) arrive at shop to get location and where to go for run and get semi and hook up truck and check truck lights, etc and drive to location from 3 to 4 stops and return empty to DC and inspects tractor and return keys to office

2) delivery for stores you get to know how long they can unload you and how fast on your time there is

3) most of them were drivers and the ones that never drove doesn't have the knowledge that a driver would so the communication with them is difficult

4) get along with all drivers

5) not knowing when your day off is or not knowing till late evening when your time off is

6) local if great because I greatly desire that and the miles are great for my paychecks
Pros
rate of pay and the amount of miles and communication with dispatcher
Cons
Don't have days off to schedule life responsibilities or spend time with family
Otr team
OTR Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Ocala, FLJune 1, 2016
I really enjoyed it but I'm one of those that were ment for otr and swift does not like to get you home which was fine by me. .. I started with cr england and moved to swift a month after and enjoyed every minute I was out. .. my trainer for the first month was very helpful and took his job seriously as he was and still is an owner op... He taught me so much more than I learned at england and did it in a helpful way and I can't thank him enough but then after 4 months of being with my team driver I had to go home because of family issues and they would not put me in a local because of lack of experience. .. They wanted a yr of experience for me to drive the rds I drove my entire driving life and 17 yrs with a class b but they were more than willing to send me across the country unsupervised with only the training month from them and the month with england. .. I just don't get it.
Pros
Lots of freight for teams and decent equipment with spare everything and Good pay
Cons
Home time (I didn't mind) weekend dispatch was slow
Fast Paced Stressful place to work
Driver Leader II (Former Employee) –  Denver, COApril 26, 2016
Hardest part of job knowing your exact expectations as they changed on a day to day basis. ]
Management states that they are a "driver" oriented company when in reality they are not. They are more about bottom line numbers.
Most enjoyable part of job working with drivers, day to day interaction with your team.
Management in the Denver Terminal showed extreme favoritism, rewarding some employees with bad behaviors with different positions. Different rules for different people that they changed day to day in order to discipline those that they were trying to push out of the office.
If you were not friends with management or a member of someones family you were treated differently and many times unfairly.
Pros
Good Benefits
Cons
Management in Denver Terminal
Thankless and Stressful. Upper management rules by fear
Fleet Leader (Current Employee) –  Jurupa Valley, CAJuly 16, 2016
Swift is a large company with a lot of different divisions. I work for the Refrigerated division and since buying Central Refrigerated (my previous company) I have yet to see a positive change. Swift has a lot of good values and the CEO has his finger on the pulse of everything, but what they fail to realize is that you can't operate the refrigerated division the same way as the dry division. They put a guy in charge of the refrigerated line of business that has 20 years experience in trucking and with swift but zero experience in refrigerated and he has all but ran it into the ground.
Pros
a decent paycheck
Cons
management, hours, stress
my experience
Delivery Driver (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNMay 11, 2016
overall experience has been gained through this they don't prepare you for the things your going to encounter on the road like lack of sleep, shippers needs wants and desires and putting a 53 footer in a 48 footers spot. over all i am grateful for the time i have spent with swift however i just cannot make any money with them as I'm driving to kill myself over 3000 a week and only pulling in max has been 220.00.

my experience may differ from yours but i just want you all to know if you go with this company don't take the insurance its 440.00 a week and it will cause you to be locked in for a year with out making any money like i did.
Pros
good experience
Cons
never home and paid less than a 100.00 a week to run 3000 miles or more
Untrustworthy to their employees.
Transportation Specialist/Truck Driver (Current Employee) –  Fontana, CANovember 18, 2015
Swift Transportation company advertises and markets a safe, helpful, always available demeanor for their employees. I have experienced nothing but unresponsiveness, unprofessional attitudes, unsafe work environments, as well as risky & unreliable promises to properly maintain the mechanical parts of the truck their employees drive. They do not provide compensation and reimbursement if THEIR TRUCKS break down. They expect you to go unpaid for that time being, as if the break down of the truck is your fault. They make promises in which they have absolutely no intention of keeping. Swift also reels in employees with the promise of having compensation and added benefits, none of which are provided. All you receive is just unprofessional negligence towards their employees.

2.7