Swift Transportation Employee Reviews in United States

Found 1,078 reviews matching the search
Great place for experience
CDL Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Harrisonville, MODecember 5, 2015
I learned a great deal about customer service, planning and the shipping industry. At Swift they will work you as much as you are willing to work. You have the potential to earn a nice income with them and can travel. It is difficult to work with them and raise a family, especially if you have small kids. They will work around your schedule, however if you set your time out too far you may not get as many miles as you would like since the loads that have some distance on them leave out early so as to get to their delivery point on time.
Pros
perfect opportunity to advance
Cons
pay is based on mileage as the crow flies
Good place to start
CDL A DRIVER (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKJanuary 16, 2016
If you're lookin to start a new career in trucking, SWIFT ain't too bad. I first started out with USA TRUCK, what a horrible experience!!!. Swift has good-excellent equipment and that matters alot as a rookie.. Their rules are strict and the pay is low, but hey, you're still a rookie and u gotta start somewhere right. Try Swift for a year and move on.. Trucking is a game, learn to play it..
Pros
Good equipment/ benefits
Cons
Slow trucks
Clean enviroment
Dedicated Truck Driver (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMarch 21, 2016
Driving state to state ,I learned to be patience with the customers.Helping others drivers when they are in need.Waiting on the loads at the dock
Pros
raises
benefits
Untrustworthy to their employees.
Transportation Specialist/Truck Driver (Current Employee) –  Fontana, CANovember 18, 2015
Swift Transportation company advertises and markets a safe, helpful, always available demeanor for their employees. I have experienced nothing but unresponsiveness, unprofessional attitudes, unsafe work environments, as well as risky & unreliable promises to properly maintain the mechanical parts of the truck their employees drive. They do not provide compensation and reimbursement if THEIR TRUCKS break down. They expect you to go unpaid for that time being, as if the break down of the truck is your fault. They make promises in which they have absolutely no intention of keeping. Swift also reels in employees with the promise of having compensation and added benefits, none of which are provided. All you receive is just unprofessional negligence towards their employees.
ok place to work but can better myself
TRUCK AN TRAILER MECHANIC (Current Employee) –  syarcuse nyFebruary 18, 2016
to much corporate paperwork, they would rather spend money on stupid stuff then paying the employees that work there hardest to save them money a raise, an its impossible to get a raise
Just a bad company
OTR Driver (Former Employee) –  Troutdale, ORFebruary 14, 2016
Terrible communication, bad equipment, management is terrible and not supportive and the pay is not competitive. the benefits are not good.
Pros
Cons
pretty much everything
Pool tables, showers ,Sitting area for
Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJanuary 19, 2016
Driving truck to and from customer with the capacities of 3 tons or more. Checking with the Security officer at the gate to determine which door I will be loading or unloading at. Maintaining records of the bills from the companies.
Pros
Awesome company to work for Good benefits package.
Cons
Hard to change to other divisions in the company .
I cannot think of a single pro comment regarding employment at Swift transportation
Class A CDL Driver (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMarch 3, 2016
Class A CDL Driving for Swift Transportation is long hours for low pay while complying with Dept. of Tran. time regulations. It is very hard to comment on co-workers as you are with one another very little time. Management normally was a message on the company communication system or a phone call. Hardest part of the job was meeting schedule on-time safely. Most enjoyable part of the job was home-time with family.
Pros
Great job for a loner
Cons
Terrible job for anyone who is not a loner
just a basic trucking job
Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Edwardsville, KSJanuary 15, 2016
benefits are to expensive, recruters lie to get you in, there are miles if you are willing to cut corners and not your full job, and some dispatchers and fleet managers are not the easiest to work with.
cheap frightliners truck dont run 62mph and spycam on you all day long and no miles
OTR Company Driver (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNAugust 4, 2016
you will get good miles one week a month 3 week you'll be lucky to get 1600 to 1800 miles a week. trucks don't run at 62mph the realy run 59 to 60 mph if you work out of Laredo tx you will never get management on the phone there always in a meeting. if your d.m. is out that day your on your on, even if he is there your still on your on, they do not have fright for the drivers they have and they are still bringing in new drivers. planers don't plan anything there's realy no planning it's just load throwing! all there trucks have a spy cam in the truck and it on all the time. they realy don't care about there drivers there trucks are cheap frightliners , there trailer are ok,
Pros
There trailer are ok
Cons
cheap frightliners, spycam, low low miles, safety is a joke, bad management slow trucks
A Roller Coaster Ride
Company Driver (Former Employee) –  Manteno, ILAugust 18, 2016
A typical work is very simple. First, check your truck before you get on the road to make sure it's safe to operate. Secondly, what I've learned at Swift was how to really be responsible. Management was fairly okay with me I never had any problems and they handle everything very professional. But, it depends on who your driver leader is because they might try to work you too hard and not tell you what's gonna happen in advance. I always see different drivers over the road and for the most part we looked out for each other. The hardest part of the job is when you have a breakdown with your truck, accident, and traffic if you're in a big city at a certain time of the day. The most enjoyable part of the job is that you get to enjoy traveling all over the United States from city to city meeting new people and also the scenery.
Pros
Traveling
Cons
Pay
horrible place to work
OTR Tractor Trailer Driver (Former Employee) –  Lathrop, CAAugust 20, 2016
Dispatch has no training or experience in trucking so they have no idea what the job really is. the company constantly tries to jip you on your pay. there is no chance to move up, they constantly lie to you. they do not honor any of their promises that they make to their drivers. they have no respect for their employees, they are constantly blaming their drivers for dispatches mistakes and they only pay zip code to zip code. after working and then resigning to work for a better company they promised that they wouldgive me a good recommendation for another job and refused when i found a job i wanted. My best advice; NEVER work for this deceiving company.
Pros
you will gain valuable experiance
Cons
you lose more money than you gain no matter what you do
Reliable and Trustworthy and Honest in my Positions
Truck Driver (Current Employee) –  Los Lunas, NMJuly 1, 2016
1) arrive at shop to get location and where to go for run and get semi and hook up truck and check truck lights, etc and drive to location from 3 to 4 stops and return empty to DC and inspects tractor and return keys to office

2) delivery for stores you get to know how long they can unload you and how fast on your time there is

3) most of them were drivers and the ones that never drove doesn't have the knowledge that a driver would so the communication with them is difficult

4) get along with all drivers

5) not knowing when your day off is or not knowing till late evening when your time off is

6) local if great because I greatly desire that and the miles are great for my paychecks
Pros
rate of pay and the amount of miles and communication with dispatcher
Cons
Don't have days off to schedule life responsibilities or spend time with family
Love it
Data entry clerk (Former Employee) –  Lancaster, TXDecember 1, 2015
Swift Transportation is an excellent place to work they have great benefits and provide a great working environment. I loved working at Swift. If my father had not fallen ill I would have worked there forever if they would have let me.
Big company - expendable drivers
Commercial Truck Driver - Trainer (Former Employee) –  Sparks, NVAugust 3, 2016
You will walk on egg shells working for swift - you will be promised alot of money earned by driving alot of miles that they also promise you but fail in because they have so many drivers and not near enough freight.

Benefits will cost you alot of money per month - to the point where you're paying over 1000 a month for you and a child.

Communication with upper management to your boss and then to you leaves alot to be worked upon.

Company wont allow power inverters to be installed into their tractors, so you are very limits to meals in the tractor - not much to eat hot unless you spend money eating out alot while on the road.

I left because I was not making money - I lost money.
Pros
NONE
Cons
HEALTHCARE, WAITING ON FREIGHT
Good starter company
Truck Driver (OTR) (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJuly 27, 2016
They were true to everything they said they would do. Driver managers were very helpful. If I had been able to get more miles I would have stayed. But I only averaged 1400 miles a week. Would get 600 mile runs with appointment deliveries 3 days out or other time wasters. Owner Ops do well, Teams do better. Hard for solo drivers. Health Insurance is expensive, no compensation for low mileage runs. No inverters or APU. Trucks generally newer model and in good condition. If company driver expect to drive automatic. Manuals tend to be the oldest trucks in the fleet because they are not being replaced, just phased out.
Pros
Good starter company
Cons
hard to get good mileage if solo company driver
Student Company
former employee (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJuly 26, 2016
This is the inspector gadget company. Indoor cameras monitor every move. If you left your underwear on the the bunk. All of corporate office will see your Sponge Bob drawers. They will fire you for going 65 down hill in the rain. Even though you risk jackknifeing going slower. And you cant have pets. I saw a guy with a poodle and Pomeranian (little lions) he can have them but I can't. Because he is part blind. I didn't know blind people could drive before that. Not a good career. Most companies give a watch if you have no accidents. Not Swift. If you're late one time you lose your watch. Even 30 years accident free.
Pros
Good for students
Cons
Not designed for retired pension insurance
Thankless and Stressful. Upper management rules by fear
Fleet Leader (Current Employee) –  Jurupa Valley, CAJuly 16, 2016
Swift is a large company with a lot of different divisions. I work for the Refrigerated division and since buying Central Refrigerated (my previous company) I have yet to see a positive change. Swift has a lot of good values and the CEO has his finger on the pulse of everything, but what they fail to realize is that you can't operate the refrigerated division the same way as the dry division. They put a guy in charge of the refrigerated line of business that has 20 years experience in trucking and with swift but zero experience in refrigerated and he has all but ran it into the ground.
Pros
a decent paycheck
Cons
management, hours, stress
Great place to start your career as a truck driver.
Truck Driver Class A CDL (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMarch 7, 2016
Swift hired me right out of truck driving school and my experience with them was nothing but pleasant. I learned a lot about this industry and was able to advance quickly as a mentee, mentor and then an owner operator. I had a great experience as an OTR driver and I learned a lot about how to run my own business. The hardest part of my experience was being away from my family for extended periods of time but otherwise it was rewarding for me because of how much I learned which is why I am the confident and professional driver I am today.
Pros
Plenty of advancement and learning opportunities
Cons
Long periods of being away from home.
Otr team
OTR Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Ocala, FLJune 1, 2016
I really enjoyed it but I'm one of those that were ment for otr and swift does not like to get you home which was fine by me. .. I started with cr england and moved to swift a month after and enjoyed every minute I was out. .. my trainer for the first month was very helpful and took his job seriously as he was and still is an owner op... He taught me so much more than I learned at england and did it in a helpful way and I can't thank him enough but then after 4 months of being with my team driver I had to go home because of family issues and they would not put me in a local because of lack of experience. .. They wanted a yr of experience for me to drive the rds I drove my entire driving life and 17 yrs with a class b but they were more than willing to send me across the country unsupervised with only the training month from them and the month with england. .. I just don't get it.
Pros
Lots of freight for teams and decent equipment with spare everything and Good pay
Cons
Home time (I didn't mind) weekend dispatch was slow

2.7