Swift Transportation Employee Reviews

Found 1,176 reviews matching the search
Wonderful people, vicious Corporate culture
Driver/Operator (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNOctober 9, 2016
After over 3 years with Swift as Company driver & O/Op.. as Owner Operator.. You are not an Owner/Operator.,But Lease Purchase Option. This should be understood clearly. You are not Owner/Operator. You just lose all Worker Benefits. Swift will teach you the basics of the trucking industry. But will drop you like yesterdays garbage when they no longer need or like you. There are many great people at Swift.. But the Corporate Culture is Rotten. Swift is a Public Traded Company on the Stock Market. They do not care about the drivers or employees.. Their only concern is with the Stock Price. The Owners buy up smaller Company's,, a shell game. Stay Away from this Company.. They are rotten to the core. Find a smaller viable and honest Company if you want to work in Trucking. I believe Swift started as an honest Company, but has fallen into disgrace.
Pros
large co. great people. wonderful organizational management
Cons
Public Company, No cares for the drivers or employees. Avoid them like the Plague
Good place to learn about the trucking industry
OTR Truck Driver & Driver Trainer (Current Employee) –  Ocala, FLNovember 10, 2016
I have been with Swift for 3 years now and I have had some minor issues with them. But talking to management was able to resolve them. I'm currently a mentor to new students and that has been a financial plus. I also have a good relationship with my driver manager and that does make a world of difference. I get home when I need to be that has never been an issue of mine.
Pros
The miles are there. And good benefits and plenty of equipment.
Cons
No set hours of work time. And does take some adjusting to get use to. Long time away from home.
Big company - expendable drivers
Commercial Truck Driver - Trainer (Former Employee) –  Sparks, NVAugust 3, 2016
You will walk on egg shells working for swift - you will be promised alot of money earned by driving alot of miles that they also promise you but fail in because they have so many drivers and not near enough freight.

Benefits will cost you alot of money per month - to the point where you're paying over 1000 a month for you and a child.

Communication with upper management to your boss and then to you leaves alot to be worked upon.

Company wont allow power inverters to be installed into their tractors, so you are very limits to meals in the tractor - not much to eat hot unless you spend money eating out alot while on the road.

I left because I was not making money - I lost money.
Pros
NONE
Cons
HEALTHCARE, WAITING ON FREIGHT
lot of opportunities if your willing to move around or work at corporate offices
Terminal Safety Consultant (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZSeptember 24, 2016
Pay is well below average for all departments. Opportunities to grow within safety are minimal, however in operations or customer service its open ended. New regulations from department of Labor have opened up the job/life balance. Who you know gets you further than what you know. "Good Ole Boy" attitude. A lot of nepotism which seems to protect C players. Hardest part of the job is changing behavior with 2000 drivers without support and accountability of the upper management. Focus on retention a lot of times outweighs focus on safe drivers. Hiring is open to a lot of drivers that have no business having a CDL. Orientation has minimal focus on safety and more on pushing the process through to get a dispatch. Mentoring program although appears to have a lot of accountability, there is minimal follow through when concerns are raised.

Most enjoyable part of the job; interaction and coaching with the Drivers that are there to learn and become the best safe and productive driver they can be. Helping drivers and office staff see the big picture on responding and reacting to hazards for the safest outcome. Working with our team and training drivers on being safer for them, their families and ours on the road next to them.
Pros
Working Hours if you do not have direct reports
Cons
Pay, opportunities to grow in Safety, support, low accountability.
High stress unrealistic expectations
CUSTOMER SERVICE REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee) –  Denver, COJune 20, 2016
High stress with unrealistic expectations daily
A lot about details for transportation needs and service
Management was more a micromanagement environment that made the job difficult to do efficiently
Most of my co-workers were hard working and a great support
The hardest part of the job was to meet management expectations because they were ever increasing but with no additional time to meet those expectations
The most enjoyable part were my peers and some of the customers
Pros
great benefits
Cons
Demands were unrealistic and w/o added time to meet expectations
Swift is a start up company
Driver (Former Employee) –  Denver, CO and Pueblo, CoSeptember 7, 2016
I trained for 45 days and then I was on my own. I was over the road for 2 yrs. then I transferred to Target dedicated so I was home every night. I paid $127 a week for insurance and I only made a $144 dollars a day and in 2 yrs. I never got a raise. I asked several times and never got one so it was time to move on.
Pros
Getting experience
Cons
They don't take care of their drivers
Recruit Lead
Recruiting Lead (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNDecember 6, 2016
Recruit Leads are responsible for the drivers that their group hire. I still hire drivers, but I am over a team that covers different regions. Each driver that is contacted, I have to make sure their paper work is in order, their legal status are cleared, their back ground checks are correct, and that their training is taken care of.

I've been with company for 10 years, I've seen the many changes, witness many variables that effect the companies; law suits, closing offices, holiday seasons, etc... but I've manage to stay ahead of the curve

Again being with the company for 10 years, I've had no choice to grow very close with my coworkers and their families over the years

hardest part of my job is the slow seasons, there's only so much we can do after we have exhausted all resources to meet our quota

most enjoyable part of my job is the flexibility
Pros
great work culture
Cons
pay structure has declined over the years.
Fast Paced Stressful place to work
Driver Leader II (Former Employee) –  Denver, COApril 26, 2016
Hardest part of job knowing your exact expectations as they changed on a day to day basis. ]
Management states that they are a "driver" oriented company when in reality they are not. They are more about bottom line numbers.
Most enjoyable part of job working with drivers, day to day interaction with your team.
Management in the Denver Terminal showed extreme favoritism, rewarding some employees with bad behaviors with different positions. Different rules for different people that they changed day to day in order to discipline those that they were trying to push out of the office.
If you were not friends with management or a member of someones family you were treated differently and many times unfairly.
Pros
Good Benefits
Cons
Management in Denver Terminal
A great company to work for
OTR-Driver-CDLA (Former Employee) –  Syracuse, NYNovember 4, 2016
Swift is a great company that employees good people who are very knowledgeable and helpful. Their driver managers are good people, and the benefits are also a great asset.
Pros
Benefits, great management
Cons
I have nothing bad to say about Swift.
Not just a career
Professional Driver (Current Employee) –  San Bernardino, CAAugust 29, 2016
Driving trucks is more of a lifestyle choice than a career. It may suit some people who want to drive around and live for free, but not for those who enjoy the company of others.
Pros
Decent money and full benefits
Cons
Always away from home and very little social interaction
A Roller Coaster Ride
Company Driver (Former Employee) –  Manteno, ILAugust 18, 2016
A typical work is very simple. First, check your truck before you get on the road to make sure it's safe to operate. Secondly, what I've learned at Swift was how to really be responsible. Management was fairly okay with me I never had any problems and they handle everything very professional. But, it depends on who your driver leader is because they might try to work you too hard and not tell you what's gonna happen in advance. I always see different drivers over the road and for the most part we looked out for each other. The hardest part of the job is when you have a breakdown with your truck, accident, and traffic if you're in a big city at a certain time of the day. The most enjoyable part of the job is that you get to enjoy traveling all over the United States from city to city meeting new people and also the scenery.
Pros
Traveling
Cons
Pay
Its what you make of it.
OTR Driver (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMay 5, 2016
Swift really is a great company to start with, and to stay with. When they restructured the pay scale, it made them very competitive. newer equipment, and the company will not allow an unsafe vehicle on the road if the driver communicates any issues. The only downside is management. They seem to be out of touch with the drivers that are making the company money. Always some kind of meeting or sending multiple cliché safety messages daily. If you are decently smart, you can fix most issues on your own. But if you have to call in, be prepared to wait a while, and be transferred all over.
I usually ran the shop and help drivers with there need to see what was wrong with there semi..
Diesel Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Columbus ohioNovember 13, 2016
I love it just never got a raise the whole 12 years when guys getting hired came in with Lil to none experience and making more then me...
very stressfull company wasnt willing to have you work hard
COMMERCIAL DRIVER (Former Employee) –  Fontana, CASeptember 23, 2016
to many employees to count and not enough loads to go out so sat a lot in terminals and getting paid by the mile doesn't help your pay check when you don't have those wheels moving and manage ment wouldn't work with you and wouldn't honor the Soldier Sailor ACT when I came back from active duty so was worthless to pursue the career with Swift transportation
Pros
easy job to get they take anyone with a CDL at the time i was employed
Cons
Very demanding, lack of carring for their staff, and about helping their military folks and wouldnt honor the Soldier Salior ACT.
Very low pay job
Tractor Trailor Driver (Former Employee) –  Decatur, GAMay 11, 2016
I would do my pre trip wait to get dispatch for my pick up and go
I didn't learn much except how to use qualcomm I never met management just the dispatchers I didn't know any of the co workers accept my trainer. The hardest part of this job was being away from home for 28 days out of the month and when you get home they give 34 hrs with your family or you FIRED
Pros
They teel working for Swift is great and rewarding
Cons
but you can forget your family and live in the truck with very little pay
Independent working conditions.
Over the Road Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Greer, SCNovember 6, 2016
Constantly on the road. Learned different areas where I traveled. Learned a lot about trucks and maintenance of them. Management wasn't as helpful when it came to personal issues. Co-workers kept to themselves for the most part. Hardest part of the job is making sure I had enough rest for the missions ahead. Most enjoyable was privacy of living out of a big cab truck. The freedom to travel different places across the country.
Pros
Basically your own boss.
Cons
Truck breakdowns that held up business.
Good starter company
Truck Driver (OTR) (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJuly 27, 2016
They were true to everything they said they would do. Driver managers were very helpful. If I had been able to get more miles I would have stayed. But I only averaged 1400 miles a week. Would get 600 mile runs with appointment deliveries 3 days out or other time wasters. Owner Ops do well, Teams do better. Hard for solo drivers. Health Insurance is expensive, no compensation for low mileage runs. No inverters or APU. Trucks generally newer model and in good condition. If company driver expect to drive automatic. Manuals tend to be the oldest trucks in the fleet because they are not being replaced, just phased out.
Pros
Good starter company
Cons
hard to get good mileage if solo company driver
Student Company
former employee (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJuly 26, 2016
This is the inspector gadget company. Indoor cameras monitor every move. If you left your underwear on the the bunk. All of corporate office will see your Sponge Bob drawers. They will fire you for going 65 down hill in the rain. Even though you risk jackknifeing going slower. And you cant have pets. I saw a guy with a poodle and Pomeranian (little lions) he can have them but I can't. Because he is part blind. I didn't know blind people could drive before that. Not a good career. Most companies give a watch if you have no accidents. Not Swift. If you're late one time you lose your watch. Even 30 years accident free.
Pros
Good for students
Cons
Not designed for retired pension insurance
Good company to start out driving with.
Semi Driver (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHJuly 30, 2016
Good management and mentor. Good company to start out driving with. I love driving but this company did not give me enough miles.
I sat a lot on weekends waiting for a load.
Pros
great co workers, good benefits.
Cons
not enough drive time
Thankless and Stressful. Upper management rules by fear
Fleet Leader (Current Employee) –  Jurupa Valley, CAJuly 16, 2016
Swift is a large company with a lot of different divisions. I work for the Refrigerated division and since buying Central Refrigerated (my previous company) I have yet to see a positive change. Swift has a lot of good values and the CEO has his finger on the pulse of everything, but what they fail to realize is that you can't operate the refrigerated division the same way as the dry division. They put a guy in charge of the refrigerated line of business that has 20 years experience in trucking and with swift but zero experience in refrigerated and he has all but ran it into the ground.
Pros
a decent paycheck
Cons
management, hours, stress

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Swift Transportation. Our community is ready to answer.

2.7