Swift Transportation Employee Reviews

Found 1,615 reviews matching the search
Not enough home time with family was the downfall for me.
Driver (Current Employee) –  Durham, NCSeptember 19, 2017
The job was not bad at all. I just needed something local with more home time. The owner/operator I trained under was great and very hands on during the training.
Gateway to a dream career
Professionals Driver (Current Employee) –  Greer, SCSeptember 19, 2017
Swift gave me a change and I took advantage of the opportunity. As a starter company Swift allowed me to figure out how to be productive and earn an honest living while fulfilling my dream.
Pros
Excellent pay
Cons
Being OTR is hard when you have a family at home.
Stayed really busy
Intermodal Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Inver Grove Heights, MNSeptember 19, 2017
I worked hard at this company. if you had time to take a break you could every time you stopped at a customer to be loaded or unloaded. other wise kept really busy. I learned how to my job very well. I think the hardest part of the job was waiting around to be loaded or unloaded. I did not like waiting around. We would go to train yards and sometimes have to wait on trains for quite a while!
Pros
I liked the people i worked with.
Cons
getting a hold of a driver manager was difficalt sometimes
good job back then
Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZSeptember 18, 2017
For a truck company if you are starting is a good company to work for. Go over the road if you want to make money. Hard to do this job when you have and love your family.
Over worked, underpaid
Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Jurupa Valley, CASeptember 18, 2017
Over worked, underpaid and not managed well. Just about sums it all up.

If you hear or see one of their ads, they tell you how well you will be treated. That's not even close. I would treat a cat better and I do not like cats.
Pros
I can't think of one
Cons
Working for Swift
Strength lies within
Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Decatur, GASeptember 18, 2017
I learned a lot at Swift. Don't let a few bad apples keep you from standing your ground. If you want a different dispatch let them know.
Decent place to work even though the drivers lounge needs a serious makeover.
Pros
48 states, salary, healthcare
Cons
sitting and waiting for dispatch to find loads with no money to live
na
CDL-A Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  New Boston, MISeptember 18, 2017
Good company to work for when you are just starting out as driver. Good equipment and trailers. Always treated well. Would recommend them to others. Good company.
This company is a good training ground for new truck drivers.
OTR Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Fontana, CASeptember 18, 2017
swift Transportation prepares you for what you don't want to put up with in trucking. But if you could just be able to stay there for six months you will be prepared for a better company. You will get the miles, you will drive in some area that I think new drivers should not be. The pay is ok this company takes a lot of hidden fees.
Pros
you do get driving experienced
Cons
watch your check
Poor Work Environment
Professional Driver (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZSeptember 17, 2017
Living in a cab driving 3300-4000 miles/week No home time, greedy dispatchers, Decent managers, but no time off and rarely home. All in all, it was the dregs of the industry.
Pros
Cons
Never home
Good
Diesel Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZSeptember 16, 2017
Swift trandpostation was a god company but i wasn't getting the experience i need to better my career as a diesel mechanic at the fuel island and it was hard to transfer to shop
Good
Needs Improvement
Commercial Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZSeptember 14, 2017
Days are long or nights if thats what you get. Management is hit or miss. You can get a manager that works with and for you, or one that is there to get a check. The hardest part about the job is waiting for a load.
n/a
Driver/Operator (Former Employee) –  Jurupa, CASeptember 14, 2017
it was ok to start there i would not go back ever they treated me very poorly and i could not wait to get another opportunity to go to work for another company
Relaxed environment
Shuttle Truck Driver Class A (Former Employee) –  Laredo, TXSeptember 14, 2017
A typical day at work was relaxed and enjoyable. Great equipment, new trucks and trailers. Management involved caring for employees.The hardest part of the job for me was the PM shift, not sleeping. The most enjoyable part of the job was coming home everyday to my loved ones.I loved my job, but due to health issues I had to quit.
Pros
overall great company
Cons
had to work the PM shift
Fun
Truck Driver (OTR) (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZSeptember 14, 2017
Easy to work with dispatchers and always had loads to keep me running! Very flexible and helpful with home time and even better with sick time. I never wanted to leave!
started out fine except trucks were junk
Truck driver cdl otr (Former Employee) –  Gary, INSeptember 13, 2017
Started out being a good job with good management then all went downhill when trucks "yes trucks" began to break down. Went through 7 trucks in 2 weeks by then we was losing miles, and never got to hardly go home because couldnt afford it with low miles. We found a manager/facility that we loved and tried to get moved to it then afterwards the original terminal and managment started taking oir miles away and would change oir run every time we got one with descent miles. We got fed up with sitting on side of interstates in Texas during rush hour because our truck was broke down. Mechanics at 4 terminals from gary, indiana to california didnt know how to do anything but check oil and change wiperblades.
Pros
edwatdsville kansas terminal
Cons
gary, indiana terminal
i feel they were a great company to work for
Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTSeptember 13, 2017
they are a great starter company for those just starting out in the truck driving job force. the hardest part is manageing your time to match loading an delevering there loads
They taught me to drive truck
Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Neenah, WISeptember 13, 2017
They taught me to drive truck .Trucking is not for everyone . It was not for me . The instruction and teachers where good. But I just couldn't get use to that truck.
fun workplace
Parts Specialist (Former Employee) –  mira lomaSeptember 13, 2017
fun workplace very relax great schedule, managemnt is cool, just show up do your work and go home, nothing crazy great for expeience and learning, pay is okay
Very competitive and demanding
Driver Manager (Former Employee) –  Decatur, GASeptember 13, 2017
I initially started with company in training mode for over the road driver which I did for 6 months but company saw my resume and felt better suited for Driver Manager role. Most rewarding to keep drivers moving by seeking out freight in locations throughout the USA
Pros
Independent
Cons
sometime too demanding
Less time for family
Truck Driver Class A (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZSeptember 12, 2017
The training is good the only thing i didnt like was that u get about 2 days for family and work about 15 days then another break for home. And the pay was not that good.
Cons
Limited time for the family

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Swift Transportation. Our community is ready to answer.

2.7