Swift Transportation Employee Reviews in United States

Found 1,045 reviews matching the search
Fast Paced Stressful place to work
Driver Leader II (Former Employee) –  Denver, COApril 26, 2016
Hardest part of job knowing your exact expectations as they changed on a day to day basis. ]
Management states that they are a "driver" oriented company when in reality they are not. They are more about bottom line numbers.
Most enjoyable part of job working with drivers, day to day interaction with your team.
Management in the Denver Terminal showed extreme favoritism, rewarding some employees with bad behaviors with different positions. Different rules for different people that they changed day to day in order to discipline those that they were trying to push out of the office.
If you were not friends with management or a member of someones family you were treated differently and many times unfairly.
Pros
Good Benefits
Cons
Management in Denver Terminal
my experience
Delivery Driver (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNMay 11, 2016
overall experience has been gained through this they don't prepare you for the things your going to encounter on the road like lack of sleep, shippers needs wants and desires and putting a 53 footer in a 48 footers spot. over all i am grateful for the time i have spent with swift however i just cannot make any money with them as I'm driving to kill myself over 3000 a week and only pulling in max has been 220.00.

my experience may differ from yours but i just want you all to know if you go with this company don't take the insurance its 440.00 a week and it will cause you to be locked in for a year with out making any money like i did.
Pros
good experience
Cons
never home and paid less than a 100.00 a week to run 3000 miles or more
Reliable work, company system wastes all your time.
OTR Team Driver (Former Employee) –  Jurupa Valley, CAMarch 8, 2016
Get a bad nights sleep, wake up at a truck stop or rest area, take 10 minutes to brush your teeth and take over a 12 hour shift for your co-driver. Our direct driver manager was great, upper management...not good. For the driver. probably good for company bottom line! Hardest part of the job was constant sleep deprivation and just life on the road in general. Most enjoyable part was you get to see the country, and no lack of work
Pros
Any breakdown problems are quickly fixed
Cons
Sketchy pay system, company inefficencies slow everything down
swift sux
OTR-over the road-truck driver (Former Employee) –  Troutdale, ORJuly 6, 2016
they suckle! i worked only for 5 months but in that time 58k safe on time accident free miles for what? to be told i turned in my resignation in a "TEXT MSG"? Bull Shot!!!! I never resigned but the "WOMAN" who work as my dispatch manager said i did and from day one i diddnt like her and her not me. So im out of a job . Also in that 5 months I was promised I'ld only be over the road for 7 days then home for three ... ha ha again bull shot 5 months out and only home 3 nights the entire time. kinda hard for me ... im married as well as own a hobby farm. lotta work to just throw out on your spouse cause dispatch holds a grudge on ya.
Pros
new truck
Cons
manegment
High stress unrealistic expectations
CUSTOMER SERVICE REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee) –  Denver, COJune 20, 2016
High stress with unrealistic expectations daily
A lot about details for transportation needs and service
Management was more a micromanagement environment that made the job difficult to do efficiently
Most of my co-workers were hard working and a great support
The hardest part of the job was to meet management expectations because they were ever increasing but with no additional time to meet those expectations
The most enjoyable part were my peers and some of the customers
Pros
great benefits
Cons
Demands were unrealistic and w/o added time to meet expectations
Hmmm
Private Contract Driver (Former Employee) –  Troutdale, ORMay 9, 2016
Was good pay .39 cents per mile. But I was supposed to be driving team. In 3 weeks of driving solo they still could'nt get me a team driver. Instead they just kept me running up and down California. Wore me out. They did'nt want to give me home time, cause I got stuck for 3 days in Reno, claimed that used up my home time, like that was my fault. The truck was in terrrible shape. I took it straight to the shop when I got it. Batteries were dead, so I asked them to fix things like the air horn, the mechanic told me, "It's not a necessary repair" My qualcom kept failing, luckily I use my rand mcnally 730 or I would have had a really bad time in LA, CA
Cons
Could'nt find me a team driver to drive with
A very fast paced enviroment
Onsite Leader (Current Employee) –  College Park , GAJune 28, 2015
I learned a great deal at Swift and will always think of it in high
regard with the people that I meet while I was there.
The management is very driven and seek to meet all there goals
while trying to meet the demands of the industry .
My coworkers are for the most part up to the challenge but some are not as willing to go that extra mile when you are up against deadlines.
The most enjoyable part of the job was learning new techniques to improve work functions .
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
lack of indepth training programs for office employess
It had to be better.
Truck Driver (OTR) (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVAugust 10, 2015
Nothing the company promised was true. I felt I received a lot of ill will and eventually quit. The company had all these benefits in place. However no help with actually doing them. After sometime I picked up on other things of course. Which lead to me realizing they were not trying to help me be the Driver I wanted to be. Maybe going through their school program is different and you receive more help and information.
Pros
Driving
Cons
no help
Extremely Stressful
On-site Tranportaion Leader (Current Employee) –  Salem, NCNovember 19, 2015
I have been with Swift for 8.5 years.

The only time that there was a work/life balance was before I moved into a management role. At that time, life went out the window and it became all work...even on my days off.

In my current role, there are only 2 of us that work an account. One of us, my supervisor handles a DC in Carlisle, PA and I have the NC DC, however with all of the extra projects that are thrust upon him, I tend to know more about what is going on in the building he sits in that he does. Neither of us are ever truly off work, even when we take vacation.
Good place to get experience but not a career
Owner/Operator (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZFebruary 7, 2016
Swift is to big of a company to have a career in. But if you need the experience, just starting out in this industry Swift would be good for you. Overall Swift is a company that will think about themselves before thinking about the drivers. The pay is good but your not getting your full pay. Swift pay by the Rand McNally Home Movers Guide, which only pays from zip code to zip code. You will lose on average about 50 to 100 unpaid miles.
Pros
Good For Experience
Cons
everything
Mostly a positive experiance
OTR/CDL-A Driver (Former Employee) –  Denver,COJuly 13, 2015
Although I generally enjoyed my time at Swift, picking up and delivering 53ft trailers anywhere in the country, they had the bad habit of shaving miles off my pay and constantly lying about delivery times. While I do understand the" corporate needs" this does cause undo stress on the individual driver. Other than that, I found the people and the work enjoyable and I look forward to working in the trucking industry again.
Pros
travel, working on my own schedule, reasonable pay
Cons
expensive benefits, dishonest dispatchers
Its what you make of it.
OTR Driver (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMay 5, 2016
Swift really is a great company to start with, and to stay with. When they restructured the pay scale, it made them very competitive. newer equipment, and the company will not allow an unsafe vehicle on the road if the driver communicates any issues. The only downside is management. They seem to be out of touch with the drivers that are making the company money. Always some kind of meeting or sending multiple cliché safety messages daily. If you are decently smart, you can fix most issues on your own. But if you have to call in, be prepared to wait a while, and be transferred all over.
These was my school and I am grateful for that.
Truck Driver CDL (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMarch 17, 2016
Swift is the trucking company that welcomes new driver and give them the first experience in dealing with the road, the trucking business is a very hard and demanding one and if you don't learn the right way is very possible you will have an accident or hurt some one on the road, you meet people from all over the U.S and some times they become family and friend on the road, the hardest part in these job is to find out that a driver that is part of the road family never get back to he's or her's own family and the most enjoyable part of these job is that they do have pin pong tables.
Pros
The chance to learn the necessary things to survive the road.
Cons
I can't find any.
productive, fast paced, DOT inspections and electrical troubleshooting
Safety Lane Technician (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMay 16, 2016
10 hour shifts were fast paced and inspection precision. during my time here as a safety lane tech (while attending college full time) I grew in my troubleshooting and diagnosis abilities as well as documentation and mechanical experience. The hardest and yet most enjoyable part of the job was the independence and trust bestowed upon me and my skills to analyze, diagnosis, troubleshoot and repair
Pros
exposure to a broad range of electro-machanical repairs
Cons
Compensation- Low Wage
Not the greatest work enviorment
OTR Truck Driver (Current Employee) –  Rancho Cucamonga, CAMarch 8, 2016
Everything seemed to be ok the first few weeks when
I got on my own truck. I was over the road for 3 months before I decided to ask for home time, they kept pushing me further east when I live in the west coast. I was only able to be home for 2 days before they threatened to take my truck away for being home for to long. Asked to be home for thanksgiving, was not able to make it to my home state until Dec 28. After being away from home for so long, I decided to become a local driver, was denied on the spot, went back to talk to a manager, i was told there was nothing they could do for me, my position was over the road and that was that. Will never work for this place again, did not feel like an appreciated employee.
Pros
Reliable Trucks
Cons
Personal is very rude, and non helpful
Traveling was great
Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJanuary 13, 2016
I would travel about 500 miles per day. I learned to be more aware of my surroundings for the safety of myself and others. Management advise me of toll booths that I would have to travel through and pay out of my own pocket. The hardest part of my job would be when I didn't get paid and had to have my family western union me money to my current positon in the U.S.
Pros
Travel
Cons
Not being paid on time
Hard to be away from home for so long
Truck Driver (Current Employee) –  ArizonaFebruary 18, 2016
A typical day at work was to go somewhere and pick up a load and deliver it from 1-6 days later. I had to time manage to ensure on time pick up and delivery with respect to weather conditions, traffic conditions and meet the needs of customers. Their management staff was excellent to work with. The hardest part of my job is being away from my family for long periods of time. The most enjoyable part of my job is meeting lots of new people and getting to come home to see my family.
Swift Transport is providing a very new and unique job experience
OTR Tractor Trailer Driver (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJune 21, 2015
For me, coming from a 30 year career in a very structured and precise environment with very a detailed job scope, into the trucking industry has been a fairly easy transition. However gaining the confidence in the new skill set and feeling that i am as successful at it as I was in the environmental sciences has been a challenge. I learn something new everyday, for example i should not get into a spot that I cannot easily back out of or pull out of, and that is okay to ask fellow drivers for help backing into a tight spot. I enjoy the long haul drives, the scenery and meeting new people all over the country. The hardest part is the bad equipment which often is in need of repairs and the wait time on that can be very long and cost me loss of "on duty driving hours", which mean I am losing money. Rules and regulations are strictly enforced by the Department of Transportation, which is a good thing over all. Each trucking company has many policies and restrictions in place as well and learning all those details can be daunting.
Pros
Immediately hired after training, when relocated after 30 years in south Texas
Cons
Low compensation rated and benefits lacking in diversity
Very low pay job
Tractor Trailor Driver (Former Employee) –  Decatur, GAMay 11, 2016
I would do my pre trip wait to get dispatch for my pick up and go
I didn't learn much except how to use qualcomm I never met management just the dispatchers I didn't know any of the co workers accept my trainer. The hardest part of this job was being away from home for 28 days out of the month and when you get home they give 34 hrs with your family or you FIRED
Pros
They teel working for Swift is great and rewarding
Cons
but you can forget your family and live in the truck with very little pay
Great place to work for
CDL A Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  North Syracuse, NYApril 1, 2016
Company is flexible with your personal needs. Good home time. Management team is pretty good at what they do. Good pay as well.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Swift Transportation. Our community is ready to answer.

2.7