Swift Transportation Employee Reviews

Found 1,320 reviews matching the search
Trucks are poorly maintained and unsafe to drive.
Commercial Driver (Current Employee) –  MacClenny, FlFebruary 10, 2017
The tires are defective and have inherent flaws that cannot be detected in a pre-trip. Do not be surprised if a steer tire explodes while driving.

When calling into dispatch in an emergency, the phone is not answered. It takes repeated phone calls, then, when someone does answer, usually after calling for a half hour or more, they will tell you 'tuff luck', then hang up.

Faulty tires, faulty suspension and poor braking power are just a few examples of the problem.
Pros
The safety concern supercedes the Pros at this time.
Cons
Too hazardous and too much risk to Drivers and Motorist Community.
Low pay
Company Driver (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTFebruary 10, 2017
I am currently experiencing low pay with refrigerated loads. Spend more time on one load when u should be on to the next one hardly any drop and hook on this side. No sign on bonus for new drivers. I have a good DM but the pay is terrible.
Pros
Get u home on time
Cons
Very low weekly pay
OTR Team Driver
Professional Driver (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZFebruary 8, 2017
Great starter company, been with them for a short period of time and I don't really have anything bad to say they have great office workers around the terminal in Phoenix, AZ but pay is low and slow trucks but hey everyone has to get started somewhere and swift helped me better then crst ever did.
Pros
Loads all the time, great driver managers, they work good with you for home time.
Cons
Slow truck 60/62, pay is low.
over the road truck driver
Over the Road Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Lancaster, TXFebruary 6, 2017
to answer dispatch and accept a load for delivery or pick up, so much of your time is living in a truck at local truck stops, and wait for next dispatch
Pros
good benefits
Cons
live in a truck paycheck consistency
Swift is a company to learn at nothing more.
Tractor Trailer Driver (Former Employee) –  EverywhereFebruary 4, 2017
Swift is a good company to use to get your CDL and train with some on road experience, providing you get the right trainer. Other than that get in get out. Don't stay more than a year. I worked for them for a year as a brand new driver and they sent me to some of the tightest places to put a semi in this country. I mean when I showed up there were veterans that had 20+ years of experience saying how did we get in here. Swift doesn't care about their drivers. You are all numbers on a spreadsheet somewhere whose payroll is a deduction in company profits. The sooner you realize that the better. The recruiters will tell you that they will run you across the country that you'll get 3000+ miles a week and will be making $800-1000 a week take home pay. That is not true. You might make like $600-700 a week in the summer and $500-600 a week in the winter. They like to let drivers sit and they play favorites a lot. Don't get me wrong, I had 4 weeks in my year of working there that I grossed over $1200-1400 dollars but I only took home between $700-800 out of that. My average week was about $650 take home. Swift will start new driver pay at about $0.36 per mile. Not great but it could be worse I suppose. In any case, if you have no experience driving trucks, want to get your Class A CDL, and make a little money while you get to know and understand the ins and outs of the business, Swift is a good company. But as soon as you pay off your student loan and are free to switch companies, get out and move along.
Pros
You can be your own boss, get paid to see the whole country.
Cons
Low pay, sit a lot, too many drivers, not enough freight.
Owner op
Owner/Operator (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAFebruary 4, 2017
Owner op division needs improvments, to many fees like Qualcomm Rental,bobtail, no toll reimbursement, 100% fuel cost with no discounts and a balloon payment 30% more then what the truck is worth. You working to make the lease payment! You only can haul swift loads that's the loop hole" where you can't make money with the truck you leasing" that makes you a employee without the benefits. The government need to change some laws, or maybe swift owner op should join together with a protest on demands. Good luck you guys and girls be safe out thier.
Pros
Able to go home when im ready
Cons
It is a CON
Driver
Driver (Former Employee) –  West Valley City, UTFebruary 3, 2017
You drive all over united states. 2,500 miles a week, Your payed by the mile, you are your own boss on the road, your home 8 days of the month. If you like driving this is the job for you.
Productive and Exciting place to work
Truck Driver Class A (Former Employee) –  Virginia,North Carolina,South CarolinaFebruary 3, 2017
get out of it,what you put in.Can be hard work, but manageable.
Learned how to drive and with account,Learned how to back in tight
situations.
Great company
Driver/Operator (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMFebruary 2, 2017
Swift is a great company to work for get a lot of miles and see a lot of places. Being a company driver is the way to start out for the first year after that would consider being a Ower/opt
Pros
See a lot of places and meet new people
Cons
Being away from your family a lot.
good company
Company Driver (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZFebruary 2, 2017
Taught me a lot about life an family an safety an patience. An road hazardous. the most enjoyment i have just being on the road with my team-mate. seeing new state.
Cons
dont get home enough
exciting job with new challenges every day
Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZFebruary 2, 2017
great pay, nice time management, work on your schedule. on the other hand, not too much home time and long diving hours. this is all i can say
Pros
money
Cons
gone too long
Great
Tractor Trailer Driver (Former Employee) –  Pottsville, PAFebruary 2, 2017
Work here for about a year on the walmart acct out of pottsville dc and it was a great learning experience and the planners were always willing to worl with me on home time and decent loads I was able to make decent money as long as I was willing to work and also always had good reliable equipment
It's a great starter company
Professional Driver (Former Employee) –  Fontana, CAFebruary 2, 2017
its a great company to start off with, management is not so friendly, Not home when you want to be, They give you are hard time to run when you feel its unsafe.
Pros
Good pay Great starter Company
Cons
Management Not so Great
Great experience
Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZFebruary 2, 2017
I had a very good driver leader and enjoyed driving for swift. If it werent for personal circumstances that arose, I would still be driving for them..
Awesome workplace
CDL Driver Class A (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNJanuary 30, 2017
Swift is one of the biggest trucking industry.. I love working at swift because they train you to train others.. Swift had the best people in the business.. The management team is the best.. They also have the news truck.. Swift have you home when you want to be there.. The pay is awesome..
paid to see the country
Long Haul Driver (Former Employee) –  Gary, INJanuary 29, 2017
making a run to another state looking at the beautiful country, learning that it's more to driving a 18 wheeler than meets the eye. You learn how to manage your time because now you are on a schedule you are obligated to get this load to its destination on time and intact. hardest part of job sometime backing truck into dock. most enjoyable part seeing this wonderful country and meeting different people
Pros
no boss looking over your shoulder
Cons
the endless scheduling and constant rubber and road
Polite, respectful, and professional treatment
Proffesional driver (Current Employee) –  Ocala, FLJanuary 29, 2017
On a typical day i like to start early and finish at a reasonable time.
I've learned to be a professional driver, from trip planning to thinking on my feet. I am treated respectfully but company seniority doesn't seem to be appreciated. There is a professional and friendly workplace culture.The hardest part of the job is that you're given a title but not rewarded in miles and pay
Pros
Performance bonus, and able to work my own daily schedule
Cons
Lack of miles for time spent out
Being an independent contractor is not what was advertised.
Independent Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJanuary 27, 2017
In my opinion, there are better companies out there than Swift. The only thing that they do well is give a new driver a job. After getting 1-3 years experience, move on. Also, unless you can devote 100% of your time driving, do not lease.
classic truck driving
Professional Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJanuary 24, 2017
Work week long not paid hourly. How to safely drive a truck.Some management on the up and up. Last fleet leader a real piece of work more of a boss than a leader.Driving a truck in different states and seeing new areas you may not go to regularly.Long hours and time off. The customers you visit are the enjoyable part of the job..
Pros
New trucks
Cons
Poor Leadership choices
Environment
Student Driver (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJanuary 23, 2017
Dishonest work ethics about routes and being on the road for training. I was not pleased with the amount of time I spent away from home for training. Company wants you to be on the road for 6 months before getting a local route near home.
Pros
Driving training time
Cons
Training

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Swift Transportation. Our community is ready to answer.

2.7