Swift Transportation Employee Reviews

Professional Driver
Professional Driver (Current Employee) –  Inver Grove Heights, MNJanuary 13, 2018
A typical day of work is filled with lots of driving.

What i learned from working at swift is that most of the time, independence is an important role in most work environments.

The hardest part of the job is when you never get the right dispatchers/managers.

Independence is the most enjoyable thing in working with this company.
swift
OTR Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNJanuary 12, 2018
otr starter company. all other companies has swift. trucks slow. had to fight with my drive manager about them messing up paycheck almost every well. was not fun at all
Pros
travel
Cons
no family time
Love the people I work with not so much the company
Shop Foreman (Current Employee) –  Robert, LAJanuary 12, 2018
The company is more worried about the driver than the whole company with all these employees there is more to the company than just drivers and the not knowing of what will happen with contract disputes
Loved driving ..but not living in truck.
Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Manteno, ILJanuary 11, 2018
A typical day included driving average miles then sitting with no retention pay. I learned how to use the Qualcom E-log system which helped me prepare for my trips. My driver manager was very helpful with any questions I had involving my trip to dedicated locations. The hardest part of the job was adapting to the constant change of schedule. The most enjoyable part is ....... I love driving.
Company Cookouts, raises and overtime
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAJanuary 11, 2018
I really enjoyed working for Swift Transportation. They are a company that you can learn and grow if you wanted to be in the trucking business. I really wanted to retire from swift.
Pros
A good company to work for
Cons
They will beleive a lie and let you go before they do a good investiagation.
Extremely stressful
Then promoted to Shop Foreman (Former Employee) –  Troutdale, ORJanuary 11, 2018
The company does not pay very well, The people are treated poorly, Advancing is very difficult as it stands now. When I first started working for the company , it was not so difficult.
The work pace is extremely stressful and fast paced.
Upper management is always asking for more from the employees and do not seem to give much as far as reward.
Time off or vacation is nearly impossible to get, and when you do get it they try to make a person feel badly for taking time
Pros
Cons
Many
poor trainning
Truck Driver Class A (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJanuary 11, 2018
i received very poor training. i was not shown how to operate the truck computer nor was i shown most of the basic trucking industry procedures. in short swift sends you out with a trainer that uses you to uptain more pay for him or her shelf.
Not Great But It Didnt Suck
Long Haul Truck Driver/Driver Mentor (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJanuary 11, 2018
Pays well when miles are there. Terminals all over the country. You can go weeks without having to talk to your DM if you want. You can Call and Speak Directly to the load planners and the CSR's.
Pros
Mobile Apps, pays well when miles are there, will comunicate if there is a load change or safty hazard on your route.
Cons
lack of miles
Great Company
Independent Owner Operator (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJanuary 10, 2018
Swift is a very competitive company. Drivers must be independent because no one is monitoring them every minute. Drivers must stay compliant and willing to run hard.
Pros
Freedome
Cons
Hard work
good place to work.
Over the Road Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Lathrop, CAJanuary 9, 2018
drove 11 western states pretty much got to go where i wanted to go,went out 3 weeks and got 3 days off.got along with other drivers and with driver managers.
Hired OTR drivers
Safety Compliance - Orientation Facilitator (Former Employee) –  New Boston, MIJanuary 8, 2018
Worked on drivers MVR and DAC's to see if they qualified as a driver. Went to driver's physical to see if they passed their DOT exam. Once that was completed went through their orientation with them and if all was great I send all there paperwork to world headquarters down in Phoenix, AZ to get the approval to hire them and get them set up with a team to start there career.
Pros
Getting to meet a variety of different people was a blessing. Opened my ability to talk to anyone.
Cons
I wished I could've hired everyone.
Productive work environment
Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Eden, NCJanuary 8, 2018
Love the dedicated job opportunities for raise,very safe work environment, acknowledge their employees safety as a driver, by awarding with certificate,medals, driver appreciation cookout/dinner ...etc..
RUN! don't walk away!
Class A driver (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJanuary 8, 2018
After disregarding all the negative reviews - even after all the bad publicity on the CEO - J.M.. (who, if the news is to be believed, should be taken out of his company in hand cuffs) I thought I'd give Swift a go.
It turns out that all the graffiti on the bathroom walls at truckstops is right; This place sucks.
No decent miles, liars, no communication, favoritism - a regular ship of fools!
Pros
puleeeazze!
Cons
Pick a card, any card.
Poor training
OTR Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Rochelle, ILJanuary 8, 2018
Had a trainer who was angry all the time, I was there to learn. One example how to back up into a dock, only time we practiced was at night. In the dark, in a hurry with poor lighting driver spent alot of watching tv.
Pros
Could've been a great career
Cons
Time away from home
Advancement
Rapid Response Service Associate (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJanuary 7, 2018
Plenty of opportunities to learn and succeed, I have been working for Swift both as a driver and office personnel and there is always plenty of room to grow
Great company to gain experience
Class A CDL Driver (Current Employee) –  Jurupa, CAJanuary 7, 2018
I am very grateful to Swift for giving me the opportunity to begin my driving career and to have given me three years of solid experience.. I did two years over the road and I was able to travel and see the entire country which is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. I then moved on to a dedicated local route out of Fontana and Lathrop, Ca .. but after 3 years it's time for me to move on. I would say Swift give me a lot and I recommend it to anybody beginning their career.
Pros
Valuable experience, travel
Cons
Time away from home, pay
OTR/Dedicated great learning experience, Mentor with you OTR 1st 200/hours driving
OTR/Local Dedicated Driver (Former Employee) –  Lathrop, CAJanuary 7, 2018
OTR days were no more than 12 hour work days, started with mentor on the road for first 200 hours driving for the company. Easy going management & easy/flexible to work with +shower, laundry, food, & tv at terminals. Enjoyed long hauls especially at night through the country learned lots of ways to handle tight parking & how to maneuver through tight areas with my 49ft-53ft trailer like in cities including the traffic & how to avoid city traffic.
It was mainly hard to work or switch trucks considering it is your second home, then to find out your engine brake would cut out when coming to a complete stop or shifting down to first 5 gears. Every truck has its differences and not every one of them was perfect but you can still manage without certain functions.
Dedicated account was great to be home every weekend, backed into very tight areas to unload 30k pound trailers by hand with rollers in one day which would leave me working past the 14 hour work day limit which was not fun, the dedicated account management seemed to care more about the loads than the drivers when OTR had the drivers come first.
Overall Swift Transportation is a great company to work with and would refer any new driver to them for the gain of experience in a fast pace environment based off the pay while staying safe on the road.
Pros
Comdata Card for fuel which gave me credits for showers, Swift Academy 3 week training to obtain license
Cons
Some mechanical failures and working over 14 hour work day limit
endless oppertunity
Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Johnstown, NYJanuary 5, 2018
good place to work great leaders and driver coaches lots of miles flexible schedule great equipment to operate well maintained by good mechanics friendly environment
Poor management
Driver/manager (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJanuary 5, 2018
Poor management treats drivers as numbers bounce drivers around from manager to manager hard for drivers to get ahold of managers to address problems good for new drivers
Nice place to work, open communication with manager.
Truck Driver Class (Former Employee) –  Inver Grove Heights, MNJanuary 5, 2018
Swift had a nice work atmosphere, job security and great management. I enjoyed driving for them except there weren't enough miles on my route. I would work for them again only having more miles.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Swift Transportation. Our community is ready to answer.