Swinerton Builders

Swinerton Builders Employer Reviews

Overall wonderful place to work. Open communication.
Management (Current Employee), TexasJune 20, 2014
Pros: employee owned business
Cons: client
Swinerton is a great place to work . Good people and experienced management.
Professional Development Focused
Project Engineer (Former Employee), San Francisco, CAMarch 10, 2014
Swinerton is 125 years strong. One's career path is presented and discussed upon being hired. There are several career development opportunities provided thought each year. Swinerton focuses on the employee.
nice place to work
BIM/VDC/IPD Specialist (Former Employee), Sacramento, CAFebruary 23, 2014
Proactive and Assisted in studies and job related training.

A typical day would be to model the architectural / structural for complex structures; Hospitals/ Hotels/ MOB/ Solar fields/ etc..
good people, reliable, low salary
Assistant Project Manager (Former Employee), Los Angeles, CANovember 21, 2013
Pros: job security, trainings
Cons: low salary, benefits
My experience with Swinerton changed from project team. Some project teams were fun and enjoyable to work , some were difficult.
Within years companies management improved.
However salaries and benefits little below industry standarts
Many hats and multifunctioning
Projects Assistant / Projects Coordinator (Current Employee), San Francisco, CAOctober 30, 2013
Working at Swinerton you obtain a wealth of knowledge, they give you the opportunity to wear several hats by choice or not. Everyone is really friendly and you have the best learning tools because everyone is an expert in their field.
Good company with opporotunities for advancement
Sr Project Engineer (Former Employee), Honolulu, HISeptember 18, 2013
Pros: benefits package, other employees, employment oporotunities
Cons: work load, inconsistencies in work, upper management support
The typical day started around 7:00am and usually began with a team review of the most critical items for the day and review of progress from the day before. My duties were different on each job I was on with my duties ranging from field support for the superintendents due to my strong knowledge of the construction process, to strictly focusing on procurement – more... by dealing with the owner, architects, subcontractors, and suppliers. I was able to help in many aspects, such as compiling change orders to submit to the owner, estimating for our own scopes of work, and preparing and negotiating contracts, purchase agreements, rental agreements, and limited service agreements.
While at Swinerton Builders, I learned a great deal about commercial construction, such as adapting to the fast pace of the work and dealing with problems, as well as preparing contracts, overall job budgets, and understanding many of the legal aspects of working on commercial construction projects.
The management with Swinerton Builders could have been a little more involved with the projects in my opinion and listened to the concerns of the project teams better. Staffing on many of the projects was difficult at times, often leaving projects shorthanded on staff and often putting people on the projects for limited time and not letting 1 staff get used to workiing on the project, often causing the project to suffer.
My experience with my coworkers was a good one in my eyes. I enjoyed working with everyone that I had the chance to work with and enjoyed becoming part of each team I was on. Everyone in my opinion was a valuable part and each person offered something different to the project. I learned much from the people I worked with and tried to help each person I worked with by sharing my construction knowledge and experience. I was also asked to start helping to mentor other engineers with less hands on experience as I have performed many of the scopes of work on the projects myself in past years.
The hardest part of the job for me was adapting to the different ways each project manager would run their project, often differing from the last. I found that this became benificial eventually because I gave me the experience of working a project from different perspectives and helped with my overall knowledge of the construction industry.
It is difficult for me to pick one favorite part of the job as I enjoy construction as a whole and look to remain in this industry for my working life. If I had to pick one, it would probably be working with the feild and superintendents since I have such a well rounded backround in self perform work. – less
Large company with valuable assets
Intern Project Engineer (Former Employee), Jackson, CANovember 28, 2012
Pros: provided training through swinnet.
Cons: valued clients more than employees.
Swinerton was a very enjoyable company to work for. There was some bureaucratic jockeying taking place, but that is the case with most large corporations.
Nice relaxed environment to work in
Accounting Manager (Current Employee), San Antonio, TXAugust 14, 2012
Pros: support personal and work life balance
Good people to work with. Expected individual confidence and performance. Leadership opportunities.
Overall a great place to work
Project Accountant (Current Employee), San Antonio, TXAugust 8, 2012
Pros: flexibility with schedule
Cons: no salary increase in over 4 years
A typical day for me was getting started on invoices and processing, organizing and filing, replying to emails and returning phone calls as needed.
My co-workers were great couldn't have asked for a better bunch of people to have work with. My managers were very flexible and accomodating to my needs as a single mother. The hardest part of my job would – more... have to be learning how to juggle all 3 of our divisions and the special needs of each department. I did end up achieving this goal. The most enjoyable part of my job is interacting and working closely with all the project teams and department people. Knowing that I could help them out to the best of my ability with their needs. – less
Performance Review
Field Project Administrator (Current Employee), Los Angeles, CAJuly 24, 2012
 Coordinated, scheduled and planned meetings; maintain and update evaluation database, reported documentation; monitor, maintain, and order office supplies for production and department.
 Prepared routine correspondence compose and/or edit letters, memos, reports and procedures related to the work of the department; prepare, edit, and finalize documents – more... (RFI’s Submittals. Change Orders). Prepared transmit and maintained RFI and Submittals and Logs
 Created PowerPoint Proposals, birthday and anniversary slideshows
 Provided administrative support including travel arrangements and conference room reservations, Answering/Screen phone calls and direct call as appropriate.
 Maintained incoming/outgoing mail, and file management; process invoices; maintain office area.
 Maintained confidential and sensitive files
 Interview candidates/provide input on hiring decisions
 Assist in compiling billing, lien releases and certified payrolls and expense Report – less
Hard work earns rewards
Sr. Project Engineer (Current Employee), San Francisco, CAJune 25, 2012
Its a classic story of hard work and the rewards that come with it. If you've worked in construction, then you know the drill. The things that seperate Swinerton from the rest of the pack would be the people, and thier dedicaiton to one another. Its a supportive family that isn't afraid to tell you you've done wrong. It works for me, but everyone is – more... different. – less
worst company
Project Manager (Former Employee), HoustonMay 2, 2012
Cons: everything
Texas division worst in company. Company has no value. nothing else needs to n]be said....
great place to work!
Project Coordinator (Former Employee), Redlands, caMarch 12, 2012
Pros: onsite positions, good pay, great management
Cons: i was laid off due to lack of work, ( along with several others)
I worked for Swinerton for 2 years, and I went to work everyday with a smile...I loved it!
I was the onsite project coordinator for several jobs in redlands ie: Kaiser redlands mob.
They offered competitive pay & benefits as well as training.
I would work for Swinerton again in a heartbeat!
WORK PLACE CHANGES TO MUCH