Swiss Re Employee Reviews

A typical day entails working on General Ledger related items.
SENIOR ACCOUNTANT - CONTROLLERS GROUP (Current Employee) –  Overland Park, KSNovember 10, 2015
Swiss Re is an excellent place to work, however it is difficult to move to different departments. Positions are currently being outsourced to India.
Pros
The benefits are excellent
Cons
It is hard to move around in the company.
Great colleagues
Big Data & Smart Analytics Lead Americas (Current Employee) –  Armonk, NYOctober 26, 2015
A Swiss boys club, no growth opportunities outside the Zurich headquarter. The major challenge for this firm are internal politics and nonsense bureoucracy.
Good Place to Work
Mail Clerk (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 21, 2015
A typical day consisted of sorted, and distributed all incoming/outgoing shipments and mail, according to policy and procedure, performing clerical responsibilities, such as copying, filing, and faxing documentation. Welcomed new challenges, worked well with my team as well as other co-workers. Management was easy to get along with.

I learned more about being in the corporate world and how to enhance my skills.
Pros
Gained more experience
Good
UI developer (Former Employee) –  Overland Park, KSSeptember 14, 2015
excellent to work in this place... fun working and great culture and happy to work their. Good feedback from managers supportive environment
Excellent company to work for and launch your career with!
Vice President, Human Resources (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 9, 2015
Providing a full range of HR services to several business units within a large reinsurance company with off shore locations had its challenges but provided a great learning foundation.

There was never a typical day and that's what made this position exciting. My day always started with a plan or a "to do list" but was quickly altered with the first call of day. I was responsible for recruiting, training, performance management, employee relation issues and policy interpretation.

My co-workers were great and we pitched in whenever help was needed. As for my Management team, they challenged me daily and never accepted anything but the best, educated me on their lines of business and helped shape me into the best HR person I could be.

HR is all about relationship building. I learned this early on and worked hard to nurture the relationships I had and quick built new ones. Working together, as a team, allows you to accomplish your goals, appreciate your successes and learn from your loses.
Pros
People, environment, growth opportunities
Great company culture
Actuary (Current Employee) –  Armonk, NYJanuary 25, 2015
Swiss Re is a great place to work and also has very nice people. There is a lot of room for advancement and also opportunities to rotate into different departments. They really encourage you to get more exposure to different business units, not just the one you are in. Great company overall!
Great work life balance
Assistant Vice President (Current Employee) –  Armonk, NYDecember 9, 2014
Great work life balance. They encourage employees to work from home at least 1 day a week, if not more. Company takes pride in the environment and what they can do to help. Leading reinsurance company.

Not much room for advancement internally.
Swiss Re culture
AVP - FP&A (Current Employee) –  New York, NYApril 6, 2014
Swiss Re provides a good work-life balance, flexible hours and development opportunities. Swiss Re promotes career growth within the firm and provides an in-house career mentoring program which was been quite successful.
Overall a highly recommended company
Employee (Current Employee) –  Armonk, NYMarch 26, 2014
In one part of the company extremely high performance was not rewarded with promotion or raises. Extreme turnover because of bad management left me to run a department and train new people myself with no reward.

Transferred to another department outside of IT and in the business and it was night and day. Experienced the best management, care for people and development opportunities i have ever seen at any firm.
Pros
outstanding benefits, excellent work life balance program, ability to own the way you work and work where and when is convenient to you.
Cons
your experience depends on your department and manager
Strong reputation, great compensation/benefits and a talented workforce
Assistant Vice President (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 13, 2014
Overall, Swiss Re is a great place to work. The compensation and benefits are far ahead of peers in the (re)insurance industry and the company has a best-in-class reputation. However, while there are ample opportunities to make lateral moves internally, upward advancement can be limited depending on functional area. There's also a fair amount of bureaucracy, which is typical of a Swiss company.
Pros
above market compensation, great benefits, good work/life balance, ability to make lateral job moves
Cons
limited job advancement depending on function, bureaucratic environment

Want to know more about Swiss Re?

Ask a question
nice place to work and great company to work for
Records Coordinator (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 3, 2014
nice place to work and great company to work for. people were very nice.
Na
Risk Management Actuarial Intern (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXOctober 9, 2013
great company and benefits. supportive environment. Great career advancement path.
very busy and productive
Cash Manager Treasury Analyst (Current Employee) –  New York, NYApril 22, 2013
 Analyzing and optimizing cash sources and usage by identifying the potential impact of cash and currency balances on short-term operational liquidity positions
 Managing the liquidity of Swiss Re by forecasting the funding requirements of numerous (thousands) Swiss Re accounts
 Reporting, monitoring and managing the Group's daily cash balances within credit limits established by risk management using Quantum
 Improving Global cash management process efficiency by working on various projects
 Evaluating investment options and risk factors before investing surplus funds
 Following standard procedures to improve efficiency in cash collections, funds transfers, cash disbursements, month-end account closing activities, and inter-departmental reporting
 Liaising with banks to address account issues and queries and resolving any issues related to foreign currency exchange
Best client i have ever worked for
Systems Analyst/Consultant (Former Employee) –  KansasMarch 3, 2013
Amazing work environment. Lots of opportunities. Higher Management is very Transparent and helpful.
Employees were pleasant & focused on the company goals.
Service Center Associate (Former Employee) –  mail, copy area & customer serviceJanuary 8, 2013
The work flow was unpredicable but I was given the lead to handle the duties as necessary.
I learned how to juggle responsibilities smoothly and efficiently.
Management rules and personalities must be adhered to.
Respect and compliments support good working situations.
The hardest part of the job was to recognize problems and work with management to improve the situation.
Completing the daily online work was satisfying and enjoyable for me.
Pros
having gotten the respect to multi-task as necessary.
Cons
not getting acknowledgement for the all the multi-tasking.l
Very Nice Company, Management and Staff
Technical Specialist / Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Armonk, NYOctober 25, 2012
I was a contractor at Swiss Re and enjoyed the time I've worked there. My manager, within months recongnized my skilsl for detail and promoted me as his Lead Person. The coworkers wer're all nice to work with and the it was very busy as well. The commute was the only downsize for me. Swiss Re was in White Plains, NY, and the fare became very expensive but I didn't mind. The people I worked for made up for all that it was worth coming to work everyday. I enojoyed my job there a great deal.
Pros
great company, great managers, great staff and good pay
Cons
too long of a commute, very expensive in carefare.
Deployment Manager (Former Employee) –  Armonk, New YorkSeptember 5, 2012
I started as a Supervisor of Computer Operations, advanced to Data Center Manager. When computer operations requirements was relocated to Zurich, I accepted the position as Deployment Manager. Through out my years at SwissRe - I was a Hands On Manager: I worked printers, tapes, console operations, batch scheduling, batch recovery, backup and recovery: Mainframe and Client Servers(intel & unix), change control, change management, disaster recovery, Facility management, etc..
Pros
it was a great place to learn..
Cons
except for my 160 mile round trip commute - nothing to complain about
always balancing daily, reconciliation and collection.
Accounting Analysis III (Former Employee) –  Overland Park, KSJune 29, 2012
Cash applied daily, receives cash everyday, post journal entry, meet claim team, take problem, collect cash, when cash posting not balance, new assessments are complete.
Pros
assessments are complete, we got small party in group.
Productive and fun work place.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Calabasas, CAMay 8, 2012
This is a reinsurance company and I learned a lot about claims and how it is being processed and approved. Management is well organized. Overall, my employment with Swiss Re is one of the best experience I ever had.
Pros
1 hour lunch break