Swiss Re Employee Reviews

Sr. Business Analyst................
Sr business analyst (Current Employee) –  Armonk, NYSeptember 1, 2016
Company offers a variety of products and services, including life insurance, property and casualty insurance, mutual funds, annuities, pension and retirement services, real estate brokerage franchises, and through real relocation services. Institutions in addition to programs offered directly to consumers to manage accounts. The online service including obtaining mortgage loan information quotes, making loan payments, managing personal and amortization schedules, obtaining documents, forms, payoff statements, and manage automatic account drafting.
Great job but no advancement.
Logistics Security Access (Current Employee) –  Armonk, NYJune 5, 2016
Work in a great environment also get to meet wonderful people but no room for growth. very busy in certain times of the year. lot of different companies in one building.
Pros
coffee, people and environment
Cons
hours, no room for growth and bad benefits.
Overall a highly recommended company
Employee (Current Employee) –  Armonk, NYMarch 26, 2014
In one part of the company extremely high performance was not rewarded with promotion or raises. Extreme turnover because of bad management left me to run a department and train new people myself with no reward.

Transferred to another department outside of IT and in the business and it was night and day. Experienced the best management, care for people and development opportunities i have ever seen at any firm.
Pros
Outstanding benefits, Excellent work life balance program, Ability to own the way you work and work where and when is convenient to you.
Cons
Your experience depends on your department and manager
Strong reputation, great compensation/benefits and a talented workforce
Assistant Vice President (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 13, 2014
Overall, Swiss Re is a great place to work. The compensation and benefits are far ahead of peers in the (re)insurance industry and the company has a best-in-class reputation. However, while there are ample opportunities to make lateral moves internally, upward advancement can be limited depending on functional area. There's also a fair amount of bureaucracy, which is typical of a Swiss company.
Pros
Above market compensation, great benefits, good work/life balance, ability to make lateral job moves
Cons
Limited job advancement depending on function, bureaucratic environment
Claims Professional
Claims Expert (Current Employee) –  Overland Park, KSJanuary 7, 2016
A typical day at work involves investigation, evaluation, and resolution of claims.

In handling E&S commercial claims, I have learned how many businesses operate. This ranges from theater chains to product manufacturers.
Pros
Very good benefits
Cons
No raises in three years
Great working experience!
J2EE Developer (Former Employee) –  Kansas, US / IndiaAugust 8, 2016
Great working experience and learning.
Learnt lots of new J2EE technologies.
Great start as a beginner. People were so nice to work with.
A typical day entails working on General Ledger related items.
SENIOR ACCOUNTANT - CONTROLLERS GROUP (Current Employee) –  Overland Park, KSNovember 10, 2015
Swiss Re is an excellent place to work, however it is difficult to move to different departments. Positions are currently being outsourced to India.
Pros
The benefits are excellent
Cons
It is hard to move around in the company.
Excellent company to work for and launch your career with!
Vice President, Human Resources (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 9, 2015
Providing a full range of HR services to several business units within a large reinsurance company with off shore locations had its challenges but provided a great learning foundation.

There was never a typical day and that's what made this position exciting. My day always started with a plan or a "to do list" but was quickly altered with the first call of day. I was responsible for recruiting, training, performance management, employee relation issues and policy interpretation.

My co-workers were great and we pitched in whenever help was needed. As for my Management team, they challenged me daily and never accepted anything but the best, educated me on their lines of business and helped shape me into the best HR person I could be.

HR is all about relationship building. I learned this early on and worked hard to nurture the relationships I had and quick built new ones. Working together, as a team, allows you to accomplish your goals, appreciate your successes and learn from your loses.
Pros
People, environment, growth opportunities
Good Place to Work
Mail Clerk (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 21, 2015
A typical day consisted of sorted, and distributed all incoming/outgoing shipments and mail, according to policy and procedure, performing clerical responsibilities, such as copying, filing, and faxing documentation. Welcomed new challenges, worked well with my team as well as other co-workers. Management was easy to get along with.

I learned more about being in the corporate world and how to enhance my skills.
Pros
Gained more experience
Great work life balance
Assistant Vice President (Current Employee) –  Armonk, NYDecember 9, 2014
Great work life balance. They encourage employees to work from home at least 1 day a week, if not more. Company takes pride in the environment and what they can do to help. Leading reinsurance company.

Not much room for advancement internally.
very busy and productive
Cash Manager Treasury Analyst (Current Employee) –  New York, NYApril 22, 2013
 Analyzing and optimizing cash sources and usage by identifying the potential impact of cash and currency balances on short-term operational liquidity positions
 Managing the liquidity of Swiss Re by forecasting the funding requirements of numerous (thousands) Swiss Re accounts
 Reporting, monitoring and managing the Group's daily cash balances within credit limits established by risk management using Quantum
 Improving Global cash management process efficiency by working on various projects
 Evaluating investment options and risk factors before investing surplus funds
 Following standard procedures to improve efficiency in cash collections, funds transfers, cash disbursements, month-end account closing activities, and inter-departmental reporting
 Liaising with banks to address account issues and queries and resolving any issues related to foreign currency exchange
Employees were pleasant & focused on the company goals.
Service Center Associate (Former Employee) –  mail, copy area & customer serviceJanuary 8, 2013
The work flow was unpredicable but I was given the lead to handle the duties as necessary.
I learned how to juggle responsibilities smoothly and efficiently.
Management rules and personalities must be adhered to.
Respect and compliments support good working situations.
The hardest part of the job was to recognize problems and work with management to improve the situation.
Completing the daily online work was satisfying and enjoyable for me.
Pros
having gotten the respect to multi-task as necessary.
Cons
not getting acknowledgement for the all the multi-tasking.l
Swiss Re culture
AVP - FP&A (Current Employee) –  New York, NYApril 6, 2014
Swiss Re provides a good work-life balance, flexible hours and development opportunities. Swiss Re promotes career growth within the firm and provides an in-house career mentoring program which was been quite successful.
Great colleagues
Big Data & Smart Analytics Lead Americas (Current Employee) –  Armonk, NYOctober 26, 2015
A Swiss boys club, no growth opportunities outside the Zurich headquarter. The major challenge for this firm are internal politics and nonsense bureoucracy.
Progressive, innovative company with good work/life balance
Vice President (Current Employee) –  Armonk, NYMarch 22, 2016
Creative company with expertise in a number of diverse areas including emerging risks, behavioral economics, and the impact of technological change on the insurance industry.
Deployment Manager (Former Employee) –  Armonk, New YorkSeptember 5, 2012
I started as a Supervisor of Computer Operations, advanced to Data Center Manager. When computer operations requirements was relocated to Zurich, I accepted the position as Deployment Manager. Through out my years at SwissRe - I was a Hands On Manager: I worked printers, tapes, console operations, batch scheduling, batch recovery, backup and recovery: Mainframe and Client Servers(intel & unix), change control, change management, disaster recovery, Facility management, etc..
Pros
it was a great place to learn..
Cons
except for my 160 mile round trip commute - nothing to complain about
Na
Risk Management Actuarial Intern (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXOctober 9, 2013
great company and benefits. supportive environment. Great career advancement path.
Good Place to work
Java Technical Lead and Onsite Co-ordinator (Current Employee) –  Armonk, NYFebruary 18, 2016
Performing Onsite Lead position with good team.Learned new technologies in order to improve the application usage and provide good application to customer.
Good
UI developer (Former Employee) –  Overland Park, KSSeptember 14, 2015
excellent to work in this place... fun working and great culture and happy to work their. Good feedback from managers supportive environment
Great company culture
Actuary (Current Employee) –  Armonk, NYJanuary 25, 2015
Swiss Re is a great place to work and also has very nice people. There is a lot of room for advancement and also opportunities to rotate into different departments. They really encourage you to get more exposure to different business units, not just the one you are in. Great company overall!

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Swiss Re. Our community is ready to answer.