Swissport Employee Reviews in United States

Very fast paced work environment with heavy machinery.
Ramp Agent (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJuly 1, 2016
The team and I would load luggage onto the assigned planes when they arrive, and get them set up before taking off. We would have to make sure the luggage for the passengers were the correct one for the flight it was being loaded on to. We would then make sure all the equipment was running the way it's supposed to. I really loved working with the team (although it was majority men) because everyone was always very helpful and we would always learn from each other. Everyone had different responsibilities but it was always exciting to see and learn what everyone else had to do.
Pros
Down time in between flights.
Cons
the pay and hours.
This company was very unorganized and ran a very sloppy opperation.
Ramp Agent (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAJune 23, 2016
I would start at 1pm and work till 7pm. I learned everything about the airport because i was the interlines guy for my company. I was promoted to manger 4 months after working there for my great work but i was never compensated. I loved all of my co workers and we stay in touch outside of work. The hardest part of a job was working in bad weather conditions. There was no enjoyable part at this job just tolerable moments.
Pros
i got paid every week
Cons
never paid me correct
Fun workplace
Customer Service Agent (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLMay 19, 2016
we do had every day, meeting with our Duty Manager before to attend the customer. Her office always was open to help us with personal and work problems.
My coworkers were an interactive group where each learned their customs and cultures.
The Duty Manager was a great multitasking she taught that everyone has capacity to do it.
When the passenger came with overweight luggage over 70 pounds and one had to lift them to put them on the belt transportation.
When the plane door closed and everything is completed before schedule.
Pros
when the flight was delayed for due to technical faults, we do had to stay longer hours, The Company gave us free lunches ticket.
Swissport was an amazing position, just lowest paying company at Sky Harbor
Aircraft detailer/Gate agent (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMay 12, 2016
A typical day at work was coming in at 2PM, working my schedules flights and making sure all people and bags were on the plane. Most of the time, there was a 2 hour break in between flights so I'd have to go home and come back before my next flight hit the ground. I learned mostly about time management and patients because management was really short. My coworkers felt the same, we didn't get paid enough for the labor we were doing. The hardest part of the job was working in the heat, all the uniforms were thick and dark colored. The best part of the job was being up close and personal with all different kinds of air craft.
It was fun working on board international aircraft
Cleaning Agent (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAApril 30, 2016
Daily work started 8AM until 2:30PM gathered in the AM for a briefing, then assigned duties for that day would be, gathered equipment drove out to the aircraft came back to our post cleaned around our post then clocked out. I enjoyed that our supervisor worked along side of us. hardest part of the job was cleaning the pilot area.
Pros
management & co-workers
Cons
no benefits
Fun workplace
Passenger Service Lead (Former Employee) –  East Boston, MAApril 13, 2016
Customer Service Representative contribute to the efficient day-to-day operations of the department. Participate in interviewing and training of new hires~ Checking time cards~ Preparing administrative work on day to day basis~ Participating in daily operations including but not limited to reservations, basic ticketing, baggage processing, terminal/gate check-in, jet way operation, greeting arriving passengers, handling of VIPs, provide special passenger assistance, handle customer complaints and other duties as assigned.
Multi cultural, fast paced and extensive standing
Customer Service Agent (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVApril 9, 2016
Must be able to stand long periods of time, fast paced, variety of situations at all times. Complications of job includes excellent customer service of customers anger and attitudes. Must be a team player, as you all lean on each other for support. Must be able to accept managements decisions, should they get involved in a situation with the customer, even if it's against rules and policies. Most enjoyable is to meet people of different cultures and ethnic backgrounds.
Pros
FLEXIBILITY OF MANAGEMENT UPON PERSONAL OR PROFESSIONAL NEEDS.
Cons
HARD KEEPING GOOD PEOPLE WORKING.
Very enjoyable and simple job
Cargo Office Agent (Former Employee) –  Newark, NJMay 4, 2016
Typical day was very easy. I learned more office skills and management was nice and very helpful when needed. Some of my coworkers were very easygoing and others were not! the hardest part was learning to work with others who do not like to work. The most enjoyable part of my day was getting the job done on time because we are on a schedule with flights going out.
There is never the same day at the airport
Passenger Service Agent (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 18, 2016
Checked in around 300 passengers a day. Learned how to use the Emirates computer systems which was very difficult the first few days. Also learned how to deal with angry passengers. The most enjoyable part of the job was experiencing something new everyday. I was able to learn something new all of the time and that was always exciting.
Swissport USA offers good benefits, and has lots of room for growth and development.
Human Resource Manager (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAApril 8, 2016
The Company works within airports and is very affected by travel and the economy. There are many roles and job duties with in the company and they offer great training and employee development.
Pros
There is room for growth and development with in the company.
Cons
The job and work life balance may not be for everyone.
Fun job however, company isn't managed properly
Passenger Service Agent (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 14, 2016
Their staff isn't their priority. a typical day at work is a normal day which includes getting flights in and out in time.

I learned that you wont be told all the fine print details at the interview and training. Training is paid at the minimum wage and when you start officially then you received the pay rate you were offered. EVERY POSITION starts at part time.

Management is very poor and the running of the company overall is poor. You have to be on their backs to get whatever it is that you need.

Excellent co-workers.

There are no benefits (flights), unless you airline approves it. You only receive health benefits if you are FULL TIME.

not everything that glitter is gold!! :)
Pros
break times
A Company that is fast-paced and efficient.
Aircraft Refueler (Current Employee) –  Queens, NYApril 15, 2016
A typical day on the job starts with safety checks on the assigned fuel trucks and driving onto the airport safe parking spots. Aircraft to be refuel are then assigned.Trucks need to navigate between parked and moving aircrafts to get to their assingment.Once the designated aircraft is reached and safety checks completed, connection is made to the aircraft and and loading starts.Management is very strict on safety and time to ensure on-time departure.All Fuelers look out for each other and assist as needed.Full cooperation is required on the ramp to avoid accidents.The most difficult part is to align the fuel truck and hook up to the aircraft since there is so much activity around a departing flight.If you love to drive then a fuel truck is a pleasure.
Pros
Different shifts are available.
Cons
No seniority.
great company
Passenger Service Agent (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLJuly 21, 2016
Nothing but nice things to say about the people and the company i worked for. I absolutely loved that job.
I learned how to read diagnostic plane schedules and dealing with high volumes of passengers.
Probable the hardest part of the job was the randomness f the schedules and they day to day operations
I would say no
Passenger Service Agent (Former Employee) –  Newyork, JFKMarch 10, 2016
Worked for them for three years. Everything was OK at the beginning. Problem started after they moved me from checking counter to ramp. Since this was my first job in USA I had no prior knowledge about ramp, the environment and what are the pros and cons. All I can sayy ramp experience was a mess. For three years I could not take a single vacation because there was no one cover me!!!!!!!. Every time I applied for vacation I was give an answer sorry there is no one to cover you so you can't take vacation. Horrible top management.y supervisor was an excellent guy. Also the company are being manipulated by airline people. Even they try to control schedule too. In one word in JFK there is no life of Swissport people.
Pros
Comperatively easy schedule.
Cons
Everything.
Do not work here if u want to be valued, respected and treated like,a human being!!!!
Duty Manager (Former Employee) –  Newark, NJJuly 21, 2016
First. The advertised pay was 13.00\Hr, we get there and we're told "9.00 Take it or leave it". They will hire anyone with a name. Management is very disorganized, incompetent, disrespectful, and incapable of running an operation efficiently! United is on the verge of dropping them as a contract company because of the endless screw ups due to lack of management skills. They will promote all of the wrong people (whether they qualify or not, whether it was deserved or not, whether they show up to work or not) cold as the north pole in the winter, hot as a desert in summer. They don't care if you pass out in the summer or freeze to death in the winter. Everything about this company is unprofessional and underachievement. Do yourself a favor and dont consider ewr!!!!!!
Pros
Overtime, Hours
Cons
Poor Organization, Incompetent / Uneducated Management, Low pay for lots of work
Good job with no advancement
Fueler (Former Employee) –  DFW Airport, TXFebruary 29, 2016
A typical day at work would be fueling airplanes and an occasional defuel. I came from the competition fueling service to Swissport because they have a higher starting pay; My station in particular had a supervisor who liked to run the whole operation but did not help you if you had too many loads. Management was okay, but they treated you like you were a body. Co-workers were very immature. Little to no room for advancement. 3% annual raise was a joke, most senior guy had 10 yrs and was only making $2 more per hour than starting pay.
Pros
Fueling airplanes, fun job
Cons
Management, raises are low.
They take advantage of your work
Customer Service Passenger Agent (Former Employee) –  Cerritos, CAJune 2, 2016
The management to start off takes all your hours and sells. Since it is family own, they do what they want with you. They do not care for their employees and they expect you to do customer service, sales, and stock room for minimum.
Pros
good discount
Cons
no breaks sometimes
No chiefs. The indians are running the reservation.
Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  SFOMarch 10, 2016
This companies managers were not given good training and are not held accountable when they don't do their jobs. Everyone is working except their managers. Their structure to aggressively promote from within is hurting them. Good working supervisors do not make good managers. Very disappointing.
Pros
Medical benefits
Cons
Absent managers
It was a fun place to work
Cargo Agent/ Mail Handler (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAFebruary 17, 2016
I worked nightshift, at the SFO airport. This also was a great place to work. the commute was very much challenging. I learned a lot about customer service and how to work with each customer accordingly.
I begin the job pretty good within 6 months I was awarded the trust from my supervisor to run the entire warehouse single handedly. I felt very responsible at this job.
Pros
Able to work without supervision
Cons
No compaints, other than a challenging commute10/1
average place to work
Ramp Agent (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZApril 7, 2016
in the last 2yrs, this work place can do a lot better...im not getting the proper help, need to hire more bodies, management needs to be improved and not making enough...the good thing is that bun get paid weekly, but u have to work extra extra hard for it..some of the co-workers are ok
Pros
paid weekly
Cons
not getting the proper help