Sylvan Learning Center

Sylvan Learning Center United States Employee Reviews

Love to teach, that's your reward.
Teacher/ Tutor (Current Employee), Charleston, SCApril 17, 2015
You work and work hard here, but the students' success makes it worth the time, the deterioration to your car as you drive from one center to the other, and juggling at least 3 different topics at a time.
Productive and fun workplace
Tutor (Current Employee), Rancho Cucamonga, CAApril 16, 2015
A typical day at Sylvan begins with preparing for each instructional session; gather and prepare materials as appropriate. Greeting students and initiate instruction to personally engage each student. Instruct students according to the design of the Sylvan program criteria. Manage students, tasks and time to create a balanced and robust instructional session.The environment is very relaxed and is intended to help our students achieve their educational goals while having fun in order for them to succeed.
Productive and Supportive Envirorment
Marketing & Program Specialist (Current Employee), McAllen, TXApril 11, 2015
Pros: Team work atmosphere
Working for Sylvan Learning has been a positive experience thus far. Sylvan is committed to helping students of all ages advance academically whether it be through enrichment programs or academic camps. The Sylvan team in the Rio Grande Valley have created a work environment where they truly help one another thrive which in the end helps Sylvan thrive. I have enjoyed working with students and helping them enjoy our programs that we offer. I enjoy helping others realize their potential and helping them enjoy learning.
Great place to work as a part time job
Writing and Study Skills Teacher/Tutor (Current Employee), Langhorne, PAApril 8, 2015
Pros: flexible hours
Cons: None
I enjoy the children and staff I work with on a daily basis. Supervisor is sensitive to needs of the employees. The staff is very supportive when there are questions to be answered.
excellent part-time work for educators
Instructor (Former Employee), Fayetteville, GAMarch 27, 2015
Sylvan has a well structured environment for educators to work part-time tutoring students after regular school hours.
Productive workplace with a variety of educational needs
Tutor (Former Employee), Towson, MDMarch 23, 2015
Pros: working with children
Cons: infrequent hours
It was very rewarding tutoring and helping children and adults get stronger in the areas that they needs help in. Everyday was a new experience because it was always unknown with student I would be assisting that day.
Fun workplace, great management
Instructional Teacher (Former Employee), Missouri city, TXMarch 23, 2015
Pros: wonderful coworkers and management
Cons: low pay
Was great to see kids learn and develop, you really feel like you're making a difference.

Great place to work as a college student, or part time.
Great part time position
Mathematics Instructor (Former Employee), Harvey, LAMarch 23, 2015
Pros: fun with the children
Cons: non stable schedule
About 3-4 hours of teaching per day.
Most students are middle school students.
Great environment for teaching. Hours not guaranteed.
Exciting loving caring environment
Supervisor (Former Employee), Jersey City, NJMarch 19, 2015
The hardest part of the job is seeing the children leave each day. The most exciting thing is the energy within the program.I've enjoyed working with these school aged children as well as their parents. I've learned that some view working with children as a job but for me it's a passion.
Very Rewarding Experience
Center Director (Former Employee), Bourbonnais, ILMarch 16, 2015
I enjoyed my 15 years working at Sylvan! The families were all amazing and it was rewarding to watch their children grow academically.
Great Part Time Job
Mathematics Instructor (Current Employee), Carbondale, ILMarch 16, 2015
This job was a great way to gain valuable teaching experience while I was in school working on my master's degree. The environment was very friendly and I was exposed to students with different backgrounds. Management is friendly and are always looking to better the facilities for teachers and students.
A fun, educational atmosphere that is dedicated to improving student grades and increasing understanding in the diverse clientele
Tutor (Current Employee), Trussville, ALMarch 4, 2015
Working at Sylvan Learning Center showed me how passionate I was about tutoring. As a Mechanical Engineer by training, I tutored during college as a way to study, and then later as a way to give back to the community. Sylvan Learning Center caters to the children's needs, not just their grades. On a usual day, I would come in after school hours and tutor anywhere from one child to as many as 12 in an entire shift (MAX 3 students at a time/per hour). This proved to be the hardest and most rewarding part of the job. Tutoring more than one child at once, in more than one subject can be daunting. But that training allowed me to develop my multi-tasking skills, as well as improve my own content area understandings. My supervisor, Davis Wooley, is a joy to work for and a model teacher. I thoroughly enjoy working for Sylvan Learning Center.
busy work job
Management Intern (Former Employee), Fort Worth, TXMarch 3, 2015
Pros: great company to get experience in multiple areas of management
Cons: no breaks
• Direct the sales process of new and/or current enrollments, including handling initial inquiries as well as maintaining continuous communication with caregivers through progress conferences
• Provide management reporting periodically which includes current client status as well as to give insight to potential products and learning structures to enable mutual success with the least amount of resources
• Provide and manage scheduling conflicts between company and client to strategically align efficiencies
Work First
Center Director/Program Manager (Former Employee), New Bern, NCMarch 2, 2015
Sylvan is a great place to work if you do not have a family oriented life. The job is one of the most rewarding experiences you will ever have however the benefits are not great and there is no work/life balance.
Great learning experience
Admissions Coordinator and Consultant (Former Employee), Santa Maria, CAFebruary 27, 2015
Pros: great schedule
Cons: limited hours
Depending on the Group of people who work there,it will be a great place to work. Great management leaders with plenty of knowledge.
Fun Workplace
Tutor (Current Employee), Kingwood, TXFebruary 17, 2015
Pros: great pay, great location
Cons: not enough hours and it's part time.
I have only been working here a couple of months, but I love it. Helping kids to learn and excel in school is one of the best perks of the jobs. The other tutors are nice and inclusive and my boss is amazing and very hands on.
Wonderful Services
Receptionist/Data Entry (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZFebruary 16, 2015
This is a great establishment, good courses to help children in school. Flexible hours and friendly staff. A little unorganized company-wise. They never gave me a set schedule.
Director of Education was a very rewarding experience
Director of Education (Former Employee), Laguna Niguel, CAFebruary 9, 2015
Pros: each day is different, great environment to work in, awesome staff
Cons: occasional long work days and late hours
I thoroughly enjoyed my experience working as the Director of Education of Sylvan Learning Center. Every day was quite different, though there were some daily routines as well. I regularly got to work with the students and meet with their parents for regular conferences. I was also in charge of maintaining each student's individualized learning plan. I got along fine with all of my coworkers, though there were some complications as the first Center Director I worked with left and she got replaced.
While things could get challenging from time to time, I would have loved to continue working at that position for a longer period of time. However, due to an oversight with my teaching credential, I was unable to continue as Director of Education until I received a clear credential.
Exciting place to work
Certified mathematics teacher (Current Employee), Ellicott City, MDFebruary 9, 2015
Great place to be an employee. I feel the balance between educational goals and the approach to accomplish them is very well made.
Productive and Fun workplace
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee), Bronxville, NYFebruary 8, 2015
A typical day at work would be me organizing books for the students lessons. Then after the lessons, I would set up mini games.
I learned how to operate a computer for student attendance, I learned how to multi-task, and I learned how to be independent. I was cool with my co-workers. I enjoyed the job.

1 2 3 4 5

About Sylvan Learning Center

For Educate, the name says it all. Its portfolio of companies features Sylvan Learning Center, which offers tutoring to students – Read more

Sylvan Learning Center Salaries

$40,706 per year
Part-time Associate
$13.33 per hour

Sylvan Learning Center Photos

Sylvan is there for your school's after-school programming.