Sylvan Learning Center Employee Reviews in United States

A place to help students achieve
Instructor (Current Employee) –  Burnsville, MNJuly 11, 2016
I work with students who need help with a variety of subjects, focusing on literacy and composition. I have taught the Advanced Reading Skills course for a year and a half, and students always show strong improvement with wpm and comprehension.

I also teach the English/Reading sections of the ACT prep course. Most students begin the class dissatisfied with their test scores and after the course they frequently improve their scores.
Would not recommend working here.
Center Director (Former Employee) –  MarylandJuly 26, 2016
You will work 50 - 60 salaried weeks. Non stop billing, teacher and patient issues. Slow student growth do to high pricing. No company training for staff and teachers. Can not ever get a clear answer to questions from management. All communication is done though emailing. Management does not help train even when asked for help. Had to answer phone calls and take appointments on my third day of work. Management does not make good business decisions for the staff or the company to grow. Center left with terrible customer service issues from previous center directors. High staff turn around do to firing. Would not recommend Sylvan to work at or have a student addend tutoring.
Pros
Cons
No training or management support. Long work hours.
Very fun educating the leaders of tomorrow.
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLMay 24, 2016
A typical day at work includes assisting students with homework support. I've learned new teaching methods to adjust to the new school system. Management is very off hands but they're there when necessary. My colleagues are very helpful. The most difficult part of the job is juggling between three different students while working on three different subjects within one hour. The most enjoyable part of the job is seeing the students' happiness when they comprehend the material.
Great job but not enough hours
Tutor/Teacher (Current Employee) –  Trussville, ALJuly 18, 2016
I teach/tutor up to 3 students at a time. Often we work on ipads using Sylvan's programs to teach skills that are lacking. Sometimes I help students with homework or study skills, including studying for the ACT. I would absolutely love this job if it provided more hours. It's a great supplemental job but I would really like to do this full-time.
Pros
Flexible
Cons
Not enough hours
Rewarding Work but low pay and long hours
Unspecified (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAMay 7, 2016
The business model is designed for the Franchisee to run the business unfortunately if the franchisee hires you to run the business there is not enough left in the business plan to pay both of you what you need so the employee gets a low wage. The only way I would work at a Sylvan again would be as the owner/operator.
Pros
Working with the teachers, the kids and the families
Cons
low pay, long hours
It is challenging to teach three students simultaneously at all levels.
Reading Teacher (Current Employee) –  Topeka, KSJune 24, 2016
I enjoy Sylvan because, although I have been teaching 25 years, I always learn something new every day. The amount of respect the teachers receive is substantial to the pay, however it is a joy to be teaching different children with different abilities at the same time and be successful.
Pros
Winter party
Sylvan Learning Center
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Fayetteville, NCJune 21, 2016
Great place to work as a part time job and help students who need additional support. The environment was not only friendly for tutors and students. The center itself was clean and very organized.
Pros
Very welcoming and understanding for any situation with tutors and students.
Cons
Actual work spaces were small for the building itself, they need a bigger building.
Great place to work and be creative
Math and Reading Teacher (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKApril 6, 2016
I enjoy working at Sylvan and helping students to learn and unlock potential. In the nearly 5 years I have worked at Sylvan, I have seen the center transform and progress with the learning styles of children. We now use ipads for nearly all instruction and the curriculum is a touch away for the students. It monitors their progress and provides assessment while also allowing the teacher to select lessons according to the students' needs. We also provide homework support and ACT prep. I love working at Sylvan because I feel we are addressing important skills that students need.
Pros
one-on-one instruction
Cons
only part-time
Fun and not demanding but awful pay
Teacher Assistant/Secretary (Former Employee) –  Wake Forest, NCJuly 17, 2016
Teachers/tutors typically make $10-$13/hour but its only 2-3 hours a day max. Good for those already employed in a school and who want to make a couple more bucks before the day ends. Most teachers/tutors are going to get 2-8 hours a week and you are tutoring 2-4 kids at ONCE. Yes at once. Parents pay around $40-$60/hour per kid. So the center is making roughly $150 per table per hour and you get $10-$13 of it....

All lessons are planned for you but you only get like 15 minutes to review things before "class" begins. You might have a kindergartner, a third grader, and an SAT student all at the same table. You hardly ever get a pay raise. Granted, a lot of it depends on who owns the center. Sometimes our checks would bounce, the lady who ran the center was very financially unwise.

Center Directors make around $30k though so that's a good option
Pros
fun, can advance, after school hours
Cons
few hours, low pay
I loved Sylvan!!!
Center Assistant (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLMarch 7, 2016
I absolutely love children, to be able to work with them and watch them thrive in an environment like sylvan was a pleasure! The environment was relaxed, professional and kind. There was never any drama or even the slightest bit of tension among any of the employees. I'm really sorry that the school district cut funding for that particular program. I loved being there.
Pros
amazing overall
Cons
minimum wage
Pressure, hyper controlled lessons, sneaky deceptive treatment of workers
Tutor students (Former Employee) –  Henderson, NvApril 13, 2016
I worked for Sylvan for almost 10 years.
By all accounts, I was one of their best instructors.
We had to regularly pass confusing computer classes- constantly jumping through hoops to keep our miserable part-time jobs.
Our pay was mediocre, our benefits didn't exist, and our hours weren't much.
I was fired for refusing to teach Common Core lessons.
Nichole-the asst. Director_ reported me to Corporate for something she heard
me say to a fellow employee. Treacherous, sneaky, and awful lady.
It broke my heart to !eave Sylvan. I tried so hard to do my best, and the parents, students, and staff loved me.
I just didn't kiss the ring of the administration, and that's why they let me go. Awful place. Demeaning .
Pros
Computerized lessons, well organized and good materials
Cons
Pay, hours, stress and negative atmosphere if you are not absolutely compliant
Very gratifying work with children that want to learn.
Regional Director of Sales and Community Outreach (Former Employee) –  GeorgiaFebruary 18, 2016
Every day was different in that I traveled store to store so the geography and personnel was always changing. The mornings were typical of most sales organizations. Early work is for prospecting and organization for enrollment meetings and testing of children. The afternoons are mostly meetings and meet the parents at pick up/dropoff. Overall, I loved the job and was fulfilled emotionally. Pay was not great and owner was always raising sales goals to keep from having to pay bonus $$.
Pros
Rewarding to see it in action
Cons
Bait and switch owner
Technology-based learning
Tutor (Current Employee) –  Twinsburg, OHFebruary 16, 2016
Great way to assist students with building confidence in certain subject matters. I like that students are taught skills to empower his/her learning. The hour instruction is set up to assist students with organization, reflecting on what they have learned as well as actively participate in the learning environment.
Pros
1:3 ratio; lessons provided; iPads
Cons
only part-time
Well, It's a job.
Teacher and Tutor (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 23, 2016
Sylvan wasn't the worst place to work for.
However they can perhaps hiring people who have a passion for teaching. A lot of the people I worked with were eager for the contract to end to run away from the company.
Pros
Good Money
Cons
Not Enough hours, Unorganized
Rewarding
Director (Current Employee) –  IllinoisMay 31, 2016
Overall pretty good. Great to see kids succeed, and build relationships with families. Hours are different and not great if you have kids of your own. Depending on the owner, you might have a better experiences that another location
Pros
Rewarding
Cons
Inconvenient Hours
Very small work environment; friendly people
Certified Tutor (Former Employee) –  Jackson, MSMay 18, 2016
I enjoyed my time at Sylvan. The staff is so loving, and friendly. They are very much willing to work with you and your schedule. You pretty much set your own schedule. The pay could have been more for certified teachers, though.
Enjoyable work environment
Tutor (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJanuary 22, 2016
Each class is set up for about 8-9 kids. They are placed into groups depending on their skill level. There is a scripted curriculum each teacher is given to ensure all students are being taught the same material. Co workers are very friendly and helpful. The hardest part of the job is maintaining focus of the children. They are coming from school, so it is difficult to keep their attention when they want to be playing. The most enjoyable part is seeing the children learn and enjoy what is being taught.
Pros
free snacks
Cons
small amount of hours
Difficult, but fun and rewarding
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXFebruary 18, 2016
There's an upper level to the amount of organization you can get, since every school has different rules about what they want from tutors. You should also expect to work primarily with high-risk students. However, a lot of them are very earnest and hardworking - they just struggle due to either difficult home situations or learning English.

My coworkers were always fun and energetic, as were both my manager and the owner. Everyone was more than willing to pitch in to help with difficult students or overpopulated classes. The only difficulties were with the contacts in the schools themselves. The contacts often did not have a good idea of what they wanted us to do, or would constantly reorganize the classes unnecessarily.
Pros
Helping students, good coworkers and management, school holidays
Cons
Early start times, seasonal with school year, difficult clients
great place to work evening hours
Lead Teacher/ Tutor (Current Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAJune 25, 2016
the job is enjoyable, not enough hours, looking for daytime hours, tired of working evening hours, great staff, must be certified as teacher, then Sylvan certified
Pros
great management
Cons
evening hours, no room to advance
Phenomenal product
OWNER/DIRECTOR (Former Employee) –  Westlake Village, CAJune 26, 2016
Sylvan results with customers are nothing less than amazing. Methods yielded permanent change in education of client. Most rewarding work of my life.
Pros
Educated students where all other methods had failed
Cons
Expensive services

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sylvan Learning Center. Our community is ready to answer.

Sylvan Learning Center Reviews by Location