Sylvan Learning Center Employee Reviews

Life-Work Balance
Director Sales and Marketing (Current Employee) –  Chesapeake, VAMay 27, 2017
Due to extended evening and weekend hours Life/Work balance can be difficult. The most enjoyable part of the job is seeing the children's academic growth..the program does work if parents stick with it. The hardest part of my job is that Sylvan is expensive and many hard working parent cant afford it.
Teacher/tutor at Sylvan
Tutor/Teacher (Former Employee) –  Wales, WIMay 23, 2017
This was a good job for a teacher. I taught beginning reading, math, reading, writing, and study skills. Students would work on lessons while I helped them develop educational concepts. This job was enjoyable and helped me earn a little extra money.
Pros
Using my teaching skills in a productive way
Cons
can't think of any
Great Work Environment
TUTOR (Former Employee) –  Cary, NCMay 21, 2017
Great work environment and the flow of work is comfortable. Students are generally friendly and receptive to help. Management is kind and skilled. The teaching staff is friendly and competent.
Very professional and helpful organization
Instructor/Tutor (Current Employee) –  Northridge, CAMay 17, 2017
• Provide administrative support including accurate data entry and file management.
• Explain problem-solving strategies in easy to follow steps to build critical thinking skills.
• Provide instruction and support, resulting in better understanding.
• Manage program information, record, and enter data.
I worked there for fours years
CERTIFIED READING AND WRITING TEACHER (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVMay 15, 2017
Greeting parents and children. Language Arts , Writing and Physical Education. I learned that it should always be about the student and not me. I recently managed 18 pre k students , full time for 8 months. I did enjoy the private school setting and the religion offered . The experience was full and I miss those students.
Must be an but kisser
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Kingsport, TNMay 14, 2017
must kiss butt to get anywhere in company and all about whom your friends are there and how well you get along with them. got passed up twice for a position that i was qualified for
Pros
the kid to teacher ratio
Cons
management and staff
sylvan
Instructor (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALMay 11, 2017
I worked at Sylvan for several years. I taught math from the kindergarten level to the collegiate level. I worked few hours here because it was a second job.
a great place to work
Administrative Assistant to Manager / Tutor (Former Employee) –  Davenport, IAMay 10, 2017
Sylvan Learning was a great place to work. The director of education was very helpful and supportive. The lessons were excellent and easy to teach. The students were interested in learning and were well-behaved. I enjoyed working there.
Focused, high energy, innovator, self started open to new learning.
Twin Cities, Director of Community Partnerships (Current Employee) –  Metro area of Minneapolis - St. Paul MNMay 3, 2017
This position was timely and excellent for my skill set. I was able to use my expertise and energy to launch new arenas of sales for Sylan.
I value their continued efforts to train their employees in new sales and marketing techniques. Whie working in the metro area of Minneapolis-St. Paul MN I encounter a professional sales force and clients in the worlds of business and education.
Really the hardest part of the job was driving in winter.
I enjoyed learning new technology and expanding my knowledge of marrying education and business.
Pros
Perfect for my work and professional needs at the time.
Cons
Job security was in question due to
Fun Workplace
Educational Sales Consultant, Elkridge, MD (Former Employee) –  MarylandMay 1, 2017
A great environment to work in. The job taught you patience and understanding of educational difficulties with children and adults; also the assessment skills to make accurate determination to assist their educational needs.
Pros
Bonus'
Cons
short lunch breaks

Want to know more about Sylvan Learning Center?

Ask a question
Sylvan Learning Center (Guam)
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Maimai, GUMay 1, 2017
If your child is falling behind in school or needs an extra dose of practice in any core subject ... Sylvan is the place for them. Check out Sylvan with their certified teachers and friendly staff to get your educational needs met.
Exciting and fulfilling
Lead Teacher (Current Employee) –  Papillion, NEApril 27, 2017
In this area you are given a chance to work with students with different styles and help make a difference in their educational lives. You are paid hourly with few options for raise in pay. Management and other staff are friendly and make working enjoyable. No benefits or compensation.
Pros
Work experience
Cons
Short breaks, no benefits
Rewarding Job but limited on career opportunities
Director (Current Employee) –  TexasApril 27, 2017
-Typical work day varies at all location, 8am-6pm or 11-9 some weekends
-Management needs improvement
-Friendly work environment
-Demanding job that gives little time for life outside of Sylvan
-Hard to move up with company, not many career opportunities given.
-bonus structures need improvement, either 100% or nothing
Pros
Friendly work environment
Cons
Salary low
Professional, productive and casual workplace
Executive Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDApril 25, 2017
Due to my current severance agreement, I cannot provide a descriptive review on this company. However, anyone how would apply would not be disappointed as long as the company does not downsize.
Short Term Employment
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Alton, ILApril 23, 2017
Between completing my degree in Elementary Education and landing my first job as a classroom teacher, I worked at Sylvan. Positive environment with a very supportive team. This provided a great opportunity to work with students and prepare for a classroom teaching position.
Great Experience
Certified Mathematics Instructor (Former Employee) –  The Woodlands, TXApril 20, 2017
As a former student who attended Sylvan, it was a great experience to grow up, excel through college, and ultimately have the chance to help other students work through their classroom struggles.
Stressful job
Teachers Assistant (Former Employee) –  Rancho Cucamonga, CAApril 19, 2017
I didn't enjoy my time here. Communication between employees and management was poor. I was harshly reprimanded for mistakes in front of fellow employees and students alike. Management was also poor and there was always schedule conflicts and under-staffing. The kids were fun to work with though.
Pros
Tries to work with schedule
Cons
No breaks, little training.
Short shifts and low stress
Math Tutor (Former Employee) –  Mattoon, ILApril 18, 2017
Sylvan provided me with a great way to make some money on the wide while I was student teaching. It was a great resume-builder while I tried to find a full time teaching position and the work was all pre-made, making for little preparation and low stress.
Fun
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Port Richey, FLApril 14, 2017
They give great care to kids that need extra help learning. I was added on because of the free tutoring hours they gave that year to under privileged kids through the No Child Left Behind program.
Good for college students
Administrative Assistant, Temporary (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MDApril 14, 2017
This is the ideal job for college students or anyone looking to earn some supplemental income. Patience is a must as you are dealing with students and their parents.
Pros
Relaxed Environment

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sylvan Learning Center. Our community is ready to answer.

CEO Approval