Sylvan Learning Center Employee Reviews

This is what teaching should be.
Teacher (Current Employee) –  TexasJuly 26, 2016
The work environment is relaxed and very good for part-time employment. Working one on one with student is the best part of this job. This is the ideal job for a TEACHER!!! You are really teaching! Your time is spent with the student, offering support and learning.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Salary
Rewarding Work but low pay and long hours
Unspecified (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAMay 7, 2016
The business model is designed for the Franchisee to run the business unfortunately if the franchisee hires you to run the business there is not enough left in the business plan to pay both of you what you need so the employee gets a low wage. The only way I would work at a Sylvan again would be as the owner/operator.
Pros
Working with the teachers, the kids and the families
Cons
low pay, long hours
Great teaching experience
Reading literacy tutor (Current Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNNovember 13, 2015
This is a great place to get teaching experience. If you are flirting with the idea of possibly becoming an educator this is a great place for you to get some experience and see if it is a good match for you. Co-workers are friendly and are always there to help if you have questions and are open to learning from you as well. The hardest part of the job would be that the technology that is used has some bugs and the lesson plans are not the best. The best part of the job would be that you get to work with such a diverse group of kids and get to help them grow.
Pros
great opportunity, nice co-workers
Cons
new management
good place
Materials Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Redlands, CAAugust 7, 2016
This was a great first job, I mean it taught me responsibility and taught me how to manage my time at such a young age. I worked there for a few years before leaving there to pursue a job that made me more money and allowed me to work in the field I was pursuing.
Well, It's a job.
Teacher and Tutor (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 23, 2016
Sylvan wasn't the worst place to work for.
However they can perhaps hiring people who have a passion for teaching. A lot of the people I worked with were eager for the contract to end to run away from the company.
Pros
Good Money
Cons
Not Enough hours, Unorganized
Very gratifying work with children that want to learn.
Regional Director of Sales and Community Outreach (Former Employee) –  GeorgiaFebruary 18, 2016
Every day was different in that I traveled store to store so the geography and personnel was always changing. The mornings were typical of most sales organizations. Early work is for prospecting and organization for enrollment meetings and testing of children. The afternoons are mostly meetings and meet the parents at pick up/dropoff. Overall, I loved the job and was fulfilled emotionally. Pay was not great and owner was always raising sales goals to keep from having to pay bonus $$.
Pros
Rewarding to see it in action
Cons
Bait and switch owner
Great Place to Work with Positive Atmosphere
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Farmington, NMJuly 27, 2016
Great Place to Work with Positive Atmosphere and strong desire to help active learners and show progress daily. We had fun and engaging professional development sessions and even watched an education based movie.
Flexible and fun
TUTOR (Current Employee) –  Trussville, ALAugust 19, 2016
Sylvan is a great place to work if you are looking for a part-time job. However, there is almost no opportunity for full-time or benefits. The job is wonderful but in many centers there almost aren't enough hours to make it worth going in.
A pleasant surprise!
Tutor (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXJuly 20, 2016
I began working at Sylvan as a temporary summer job, however, I have fallen in love! I very much enjoy implementing the curriculum, the length of time I have to work with the students and the flexibility of my schedule.
great place to work evening hours
Lead Teacher/ Tutor (Current Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAJune 25, 2016
the job is enjoyable, not enough hours, looking for daytime hours, tired of working evening hours, great staff, must be certified as teacher, then Sylvan certified
Pros
great management
Cons
evening hours, no room to advance
Phenomenal product
OWNER/DIRECTOR (Former Employee) –  Westlake Village, CAJune 26, 2016
Sylvan results with customers are nothing less than amazing. Methods yielded permanent change in education of client. Most rewarding work of my life.
Pros
Educated students where all other methods had failed
Cons
Expensive services
I learned some teaching techniques
Tutor (Current Employee) –  Bronx, NYJuly 19, 2016
the pay is way too small. the amount of work does not equal the pay you get. they can do better. the other teachers are nice. The kids are on their best behavior.
Pros
learn to be a better teacher
Cons
pay too small
Rewarding
Director (Current Employee) –  IllinoisMay 31, 2016
Overall pretty good. Great to see kids succeed, and build relationships with families. Hours are different and not great if you have kids of your own. Depending on the owner, you might have a better experiences that another location
Pros
Rewarding
Cons
Inconvenient Hours
Good opportunities for advancement
Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Rego Park, NYJuly 13, 2016
This location rewards hard working employees. Scheduling is flexible. All employees should be willing to sell to anyone you speak with.
Very small work environment; friendly people
Certified Tutor (Former Employee) –  Jackson, MSMay 18, 2016
I enjoyed my time at Sylvan. The staff is so loving, and friendly. They are very much willing to work with you and your schedule. You pretty much set your own schedule. The pay could have been more for certified teachers, though.
Wonderful
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYAugust 17, 2016
My time here should that I could teach and gave me a love for teaching. The look on those kids eye once they learned the skill was forever wonderful.
Fun and Enjoyable
Instructor/Tutor (Current Employee) –  Maple Grove, MNJune 3, 2015
My typical day at Sylvan is very busy, it is very fun and really nice to be in a job that is so fast paced, because the hours just melt away.

I've learned how to manage my time a lot more and a lot better. I'm able to work on three things at once, and still get them all done very well.

The management are all student oriented and they work hard to make sure that the students and the teachers know how much their hard work is appreciated.

The other teachers and the TAs are really great. They are hard working people who want to earn a little extra money helping kids boost their skills and their passion shows when they teach.

The hardest part of this job is when students are getting rowdy or rambunctious. It is a pretty easy fix with a ten minute break, though, which is also really great.

The most enjoyable part of the day is when you suddenly see a kid's lightbulb go on and you know that they know and understand what they've been working so hard to understand. That is really great.
Pros
great coworkers, awesome students
Cons
short breaks
I loved Sylvan!!!
Center Assistant (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLMarch 7, 2016
I absolutely love children, to be able to work with them and watch them thrive in an environment like sylvan was a pleasure! The environment was relaxed, professional and kind. There was never any drama or even the slightest bit of tension among any of the employees. I'm really sorry that the school district cut funding for that particular program. I loved being there.
Pros
amazing overall
Cons
minimum wage
Tutor
Director of Education (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMay 19, 2016
I started as a tutor then moved my way up to Director of Education. I still work with the student and now I also work with the parents. I also over see 10+ teachers.
Pros
being able to work with students and parents
Enjoyable work environment
Tutor (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJanuary 22, 2016
Each class is set up for about 8-9 kids. They are placed into groups depending on their skill level. There is a scripted curriculum each teacher is given to ensure all students are being taught the same material. Co workers are very friendly and helpful. The hardest part of the job is maintaining focus of the children. They are coming from school, so it is difficult to keep their attention when they want to be playing. The most enjoyable part is seeing the children learn and enjoy what is being taught.
Pros
free snacks
Cons
small amount of hours

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sylvan Learning Center. Our community is ready to answer.

Sylvan Learning Center Reviews by Location