Sylvan Learning Center

Sylvan Learning Center Employee Reviews in United States

only 2 hours a week
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Lillington, NCMay 5, 2016
only 2 hours a week, who can live on 2 hours a week. glad this place shut done within a year of me quitting. kids were horrible and ran the place.
Pros
no place for advacment
Cons
10 dollars per hour
Great Company
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Greenville, NCMay 4, 2016
Great staff. They really care about the student they serve and are dedicated to their learning. The management is awesome and the morale is great.
Flexible with students.
Teacher (Current Employee) –  McAllen, TXApril 16, 2016
Fun job. I really got to learn a lot as teacher. Very fun environment if you like to teach technology based material. I love the fact that they are trying to push engineering in the area I live in.
fun productive work enviornment
Director of Education (Former Employee) –  Huntsville, ALApril 14, 2016
I enjoyed working at Sylvan. The work environment was very fun but also productive.The employees main priority was the academic advancement of this students.
Pressure, hyper controlled lessons, sneaky deceptive treatment of workers
Tutor students (Former Employee) –  Henderson, NvApril 13, 2016
I worked for Sylvan for almost 10 years.
By all accounts, I was one of their best instructors.
We had to regularly pass confusing computer classes- constantly jumping through hoops to keep our miserable part-time jobs.
Our pay was mediocre, our benefits didn't exist, and our hours weren't much.
I was fired for refusing to teach Common Core lessons.
Nichole-the asst. Director_ reported me to Corporate for something she heard
me say to a fellow employee. Treacherous, sneaky, and awful lady.
It broke my heart to !eave Sylvan. I tried so hard to do my best, and the parents, students, and staff loved me.
I just didn't kiss the ring of the administration, and that's why they let me go. Awful place. Demeaning .
Pros
Computerized lessons, well organized and good materials
Cons
Pay, hours, stress and negative atmosphere if you are not absolutely compliant
Great place to work and be creative
Math and Reading Teacher (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKApril 6, 2016
I enjoy working at Sylvan and helping students to learn and unlock potential. In the nearly 5 years I have worked at Sylvan, I have seen the center transform and progress with the learning styles of children. We now use ipads for nearly all instruction and the curriculum is a touch away for the students. It monitors their progress and provides assessment while also allowing the teacher to select lessons according to the students' needs. We also provide homework support and ACT prep. I love working at Sylvan because I feel we are addressing important skills that students need.
Pros
one-on-one instruction
Cons
only part-time
Professional environment and a great team.
Center Instructor (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAMarch 22, 2016
Typically they would allow you to pick your suitable time slots and on weekly bases they would update you on what times you have students to teach. When you come in to teach they provide you with all the teaching supplies that you need including sometimes an iPad with there main Syslvan sync app for teaching your students, the maximum number of students you would teach goes up to three students at a time, for 45 minutes and 15 minutes of transition time during that you are also responsible for updating your students education log/notes and there earned tokens for use in the Sylvan store till the end of transition time.

We also have monthly meeting going over general concerns of the education system and highlights of our student's progresses, we also do recognize our outstand students and instructors during that time.

it is very flexible job but very high concentration demanding to keep your students in check. I would recommend this job for anyone who like to work with kids as long as you can hand them.
Pros
Flexible
Great boss and environment
Director of Education (Former Employee) –  Eagan, MNMarch 20, 2016
Owner was student-focused and believed that the bottom line would be met if families were treated right. Environment was supportive, positive, and high energy.
Pros
environment
Cons
pay
Great franchise owners
Teacher (Former Employee) –  McKinney, TXMarch 9, 2016
Sylvan was an amazing job for teachers in between locations and just in general to help out. I enjoyed everything about this job and was very rewarding.
I loved Sylvan!!!
Center Assistant (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLMarch 7, 2016
I absolutely love children, to be able to work with them and watch them thrive in an environment like sylvan was a pleasure! The environment was relaxed, professional and kind. There was never any drama or even the slightest bit of tension among any of the employees. I'm really sorry that the school district cut funding for that particular program. I loved being there.
Pros
amazing overall
Cons
minimum wage
Focused on Helping Kids and Families
Marketing Director (Current Employee) –  Sioux Falls, SDMarch 6, 2016
Sylvan Learning's employees are passionate about helping children achieve their fullest academic potential with independence and confidence.
A place where you are always improving
Math tutor (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAFebruary 25, 2016
This place has a way of correcting your mistakes each and every session. You always know where you stand and what you can do better. The staff knows their material and tries to communicate that to the children who enter the facility.
Difficult, but fun and rewarding
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXFebruary 18, 2016
There's an upper level to the amount of organization you can get, since every school has different rules about what they want from tutors. You should also expect to work primarily with high-risk students. However, a lot of them are very earnest and hardworking - they just struggle due to either difficult home situations or learning English.

My coworkers were always fun and energetic, as were both my manager and the owner. Everyone was more than willing to pitch in to help with difficult students or overpopulated classes. The only difficulties were with the contacts in the schools themselves. The contacts often did not have a good idea of what they wanted us to do, or would constantly reorganize the classes unnecessarily.
Pros
Helping students, good coworkers and management, school holidays
Cons
Early start times, seasonal with school year, difficult clients
Very gratifying work with children that want to learn.
Regional Director of Sales and Community Outreach (Former Employee) –  GeorgiaFebruary 18, 2016
Every day was different in that I traveled store to store so the geography and personnel was always changing. The mornings were typical of most sales organizations. Early work is for prospecting and organization for enrollment meetings and testing of children. The afternoons are mostly meetings and meet the parents at pick up/dropoff. Overall, I loved the job and was fulfilled emotionally. Pay was not great and owner was always raising sales goals to keep from having to pay bonus $$.
Pros
Rewarding to see it in action
Cons
Bait and switch owner
Technology-based learning
Tutor (Current Employee) –  Twinsburg, OHFebruary 16, 2016
Great way to assist students with building confidence in certain subject matters. I like that students are taught skills to empower his/her learning. The hour instruction is set up to assist students with organization, reflecting on what they have learned as well as actively participate in the learning environment.
Pros
1:3 ratio; lessons provided; iPads
Cons
only part-time
Great working with all grade levels
Instructor (Former Employee) –  Port Saint Lucie, FLFebruary 7, 2016
Great working with all different grade levels...Even though I was there for a short time, I enjoyed working with staff and administration. They were all for the students' success. No complaints....
Wonderful learning environment.
Teaching Assistant/Tutor (Former Employee) –  Corona, CAJanuary 31, 2016
Students come in and sit down for an hour and can either do homework or lessons. Environment is quiet, but the kids do get a five minute break to relax. I loved helping with AP Calculus because most of the teachers were unfamiliar with the new material.
Pros
Relaxing and school-like environment.
Cons
not enough work
Enjoyable work environment
Tutor (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJanuary 22, 2016
Each class is set up for about 8-9 kids. They are placed into groups depending on their skill level. There is a scripted curriculum each teacher is given to ensure all students are being taught the same material. Co workers are very friendly and helpful. The hardest part of the job is maintaining focus of the children. They are coming from school, so it is difficult to keep their attention when they want to be playing. The most enjoyable part is seeing the children learn and enjoy what is being taught.
Pros
free snacks
Cons
small amount of hours
Caring employees
center director (Current Employee) –  Westmont, ILJanuary 14, 2016
The centers in the Chicago and west suburban areas are great. The teachers are well trained and present a caring, challenging atmosphere. The co-workers are dedicated and organized. The most enjoyable part of the job is witnessing the positive reaction of the students.
Pros
Professionalism
Not public information
Center Director (Current Employee) –  Killeen, TXJanuary 5, 2016
I do not wish to disclose anything. They are a great and fabulous place. They truly love children and want to help everyone.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sylvan Learning Center. Our community is ready to answer.

Sylvan Learning Center Reviews by Location