Sylvan Learning Center Employee Reviews

sylvan
Instructor (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALMay 11, 2017
I worked at Sylvan for several years. I taught math from the kindergarten level to the collegiate level. I worked few hours here because it was a second job.
a great place to work
Administrative Assistant to Manager / Tutor (Former Employee) –  Davenport, IAMay 10, 2017
Sylvan Learning was a great place to work. The director of education was very helpful and supportive. The lessons were excellent and easy to teach. The students were interested in learning and were well-behaved. I enjoyed working there.
Focused, high energy, innovator, self started open to new learning.
Twin Cities, Director of Community Partnerships (Current Employee) –  Metro area of Minneapolis - St. Paul MNMay 3, 2017
This position was timely and excellent for my skill set. I was able to use my expertise and energy to launch new arenas of sales for Sylan.
I value their continued efforts to train their employees in new sales and marketing techniques. Whie working in the metro area of Minneapolis-St. Paul MN I encounter a professional sales force and clients in the worlds of business and education.
Really the hardest part of the job was driving in winter.
I enjoyed learning new technology and expanding my knowledge of marrying education and business.
Pros
Perfect for my work and professional needs at the time.
Cons
Job security was in question due to
Fun Workplace
Educational Sales Consultant, Elkridge, MD (Former Employee) –  MarylandMay 1, 2017
A great environment to work in. The job taught you patience and understanding of educational difficulties with children and adults; also the assessment skills to make accurate determination to assist their educational needs.
Pros
Bonus'
Cons
short lunch breaks
Sylvan Learning Center (Guam)
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Maimai, GUMay 1, 2017
If your child is falling behind in school or needs an extra dose of practice in any core subject ... Sylvan is the place for them. Check out Sylvan with their certified teachers and friendly staff to get your educational needs met.
Exciting and fulfilling
Lead Teacher (Current Employee) –  Papillion, NEApril 27, 2017
In this area you are given a chance to work with students with different styles and help make a difference in their educational lives. You are paid hourly with few options for raise in pay. Management and other staff are friendly and make working enjoyable. No benefits or compensation.
Pros
Work experience
Cons
Short breaks, no benefits
Rewarding Job but limited on career opportunities
Director (Current Employee) –  TexasApril 27, 2017
-Typical work day varies at all location, 8am-6pm or 11-9 some weekends
-Management needs improvement
-Friendly work environment
-Demanding job that gives little time for life outside of Sylvan
-Hard to move up with company, not many career opportunities given.
-bonus structures need improvement, either 100% or nothing
Pros
Friendly work environment
Cons
Salary low
Professional, productive and casual workplace
Executive Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDApril 25, 2017
Due to my current severance agreement, I cannot provide a descriptive review on this company. However, anyone how would apply would not be disappointed as long as the company does not downsize.
Short Term Employment
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Alton, ILApril 23, 2017
Between completing my degree in Elementary Education and landing my first job as a classroom teacher, I worked at Sylvan. Positive environment with a very supportive team. This provided a great opportunity to work with students and prepare for a classroom teaching position.
Great Experience
Certified Mathematics Instructor (Former Employee) –  The Woodlands, TXApril 20, 2017
As a former student who attended Sylvan, it was a great experience to grow up, excel through college, and ultimately have the chance to help other students work through their classroom struggles.
Stressful job
Teachers Assistant (Former Employee) –  Rancho Cucamonga, CAApril 19, 2017
I didn't enjoy my time here. Communication between employees and management was poor. I was harshly reprimanded for mistakes in front of fellow employees and students alike. Management was also poor and there was always schedule conflicts and under-staffing. The kids were fun to work with though.
Pros
Tries to work with schedule
Cons
No breaks, little training.
Short shifts and low stress
Math Tutor (Former Employee) –  Mattoon, ILApril 18, 2017
Sylvan provided me with a great way to make some money on the wide while I was student teaching. It was a great resume-builder while I tried to find a full time teaching position and the work was all pre-made, making for little preparation and low stress.
Fun
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Port Richey, FLApril 14, 2017
They give great care to kids that need extra help learning. I was added on because of the free tutoring hours they gave that year to under privileged kids through the No Child Left Behind program.
Good for college students
Administrative Assistant, Temporary (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MDApril 14, 2017
This is the ideal job for college students or anyone looking to earn some supplemental income. Patience is a must as you are dealing with students and their parents.
Pros
Relaxed Environment
Engaging tutoring positions; great temp. job
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXApril 12, 2017
Work is engaging and interactive with students, and management is friendly. I worked as a push-in tutor in the public school system, so most of my work day was spent as an inclusion tutor in the classroom. Compensation is relatively low for a tutoring position but this is mostly made up by the ability to easily get to near full-time hours. Great for a temporary or seasonal job and for gaining experience in education. I would definitely recommend this job for future teachers in the process of getting certified. The only things I disliked about this job were the short lunch break (30 min) and the hassle of keeping up with documentation, although the latter has improved since I started working here.
Pros
Friendly Culture and Management, Interaction with Students
Cons
Short breaks, Administrative Policy
tutored students
Tutor students (Former Employee) –  CaliforniaApril 12, 2017
The center was well maintained, we had access to all the materials needed to tutor. Everything was individualized according to students academic levels.
Pros
gret materials
Cons
not enough hours of work
excellent place to work
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, MDApril 11, 2017
Excellent work environment. Sylvan allowed me to use my teaching skills to tutor students after school and into the evenings for 3-4 hours 3-4 days a week. Students were evaluated according to ability and places with a tutor. Tutors worked with 2-3 students an hour on a predesignated curriculum to strengthen with individual weaknesses. I enjoyed the variety of the instruction.
Pros
flexible work hours
Cons
part-time
I enjoyed working with the students
Instructor (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKApril 10, 2017
Again, I enjoyed working with the students. There was little growth within the company. The director was very helpful and kind. The hours were great to supplement my other job as a teacher.
Pros
students
Cons
new management
Love this Company
Educational Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDApril 6, 2017
Sylvan Learning is a wonderful Company to work for. A typical day for me was to take inbound calls from parents ready to sign their children up for the skills assessment test to assist them with their learning curves.
Fun Enviorment
Professional Tutor (Former Employee) –  Lyndhurst, OHApril 6, 2017
I was able to come in and directly deal with students. I was able to work with students ages 6 to 16 years old. I would go over there lesson plan with them. I would ask them what they wanted to work on. Teach them what there lesson plan requires. Grading there work. Training them in catching their mistakes. Marking there process down. Entering the information in the computer. Doing computer testing.
Pros
Functional, Great Hours
Cons
Irregular Hours

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sylvan Learning Center. Our community is ready to answer.

CEO Approval