Sylvan Learning Center

Sylvan Learning Center Employee Reviews

Wonderful
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYAugust 17, 2016
My time here should that I could teach and gave me a love for teaching. The look on those kids eye once they learned the skill was forever wonderful.
Very gratifying work with children that want to learn.
Regional Director of Sales and Community Outreach (Former Employee) –  GeorgiaFebruary 18, 2016
Every day was different in that I traveled store to store so the geography and personnel was always changing. The mornings were typical of most sales organizations. Early work is for prospecting and organization for enrollment meetings and testing of children. The afternoons are mostly meetings and meet the parents at pick up/dropoff. Overall, I loved the job and was fulfilled emotionally. Pay was not great and owner was always raising sales goals to keep from having to pay bonus $$.
Pros
Rewarding to see it in action
Cons
Bait and switch owner
Tutor
Director of Education (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMay 19, 2016
I started as a tutor then moved my way up to Director of Education. I still work with the student and now I also work with the parents. I also over see 10+ teachers.
Pros
being able to work with students and parents
Technology-based learning
Tutor (Current Employee) –  Twinsburg, OHFebruary 16, 2016
Great way to assist students with building confidence in certain subject matters. I like that students are taught skills to empower his/her learning. The hour instruction is set up to assist students with organization, reflecting on what they have learned as well as actively participate in the learning environment.
Pros
1:3 ratio; lessons provided; iPads
Cons
only part-time
Awesome Culture
School Teaching Assistant - USA (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAMay 20, 2016
Good working environment. All colleagues are friendly and helpful.
Transparent management. Overall one of the best educational institutions in California.
Difficult, but fun and rewarding
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXFebruary 18, 2016
There's an upper level to the amount of organization you can get, since every school has different rules about what they want from tutors. You should also expect to work primarily with high-risk students. However, a lot of them are very earnest and hardworking - they just struggle due to either difficult home situations or learning English.

My coworkers were always fun and energetic, as were both my manager and the owner. Everyone was more than willing to pitch in to help with difficult students or overpopulated classes. The only difficulties were with the contacts in the schools themselves. The contacts often did not have a good idea of what they wanted us to do, or would constantly reorganize the classes unnecessarily.
Pros
Helping students, good coworkers and management, school holidays
Cons
Early start times, seasonal with school year, difficult clients
Enjoyable work environment
Tutor (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJanuary 22, 2016
Each class is set up for about 8-9 kids. They are placed into groups depending on their skill level. There is a scripted curriculum each teacher is given to ensure all students are being taught the same material. Co workers are very friendly and helpful. The hardest part of the job is maintaining focus of the children. They are coming from school, so it is difficult to keep their attention when they want to be playing. The most enjoyable part is seeing the children learn and enjoy what is being taught.
Pros
free snacks
Cons
small amount of hours
only 2 hours a week
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Lillington, NCMay 5, 2016
only 2 hours a week, who can live on 2 hours a week. glad this place shut done within a year of me quitting. kids were horrible and ran the place.
Pros
no place for advacment
Cons
10 dollars per hour
Wonderful learning environment.
Teaching Assistant/Tutor (Former Employee) –  Corona, CAJanuary 31, 2016
Students come in and sit down for an hour and can either do homework or lessons. Environment is quiet, but the kids do get a five minute break to relax. I loved helping with AP Calculus because most of the teachers were unfamiliar with the new material.
Pros
Relaxing and school-like environment.
Cons
not enough work
Flexible with students.
Teacher (Current Employee) –  McAllen, TXApril 16, 2016
Fun job. I really got to learn a lot as teacher. Very fun environment if you like to teach technology based material. I love the fact that they are trying to push engineering in the area I live in.
After school tutoring program
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Hoover, ALMay 18, 2016
The program at Sylvan is beneficial to students looking for extra help. The teachers truly care about the students they are working with.
fun productive work enviornment
Director of Education (Former Employee) –  Huntsville, ALApril 14, 2016
I enjoyed working at Sylvan. The work environment was very fun but also productive.The employees main priority was the academic advancement of this students.
A place where you are always improving
Math tutor (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAFebruary 25, 2016
This place has a way of correcting your mistakes each and every session. You always know where you stand and what you can do better. The staff knows their material and tries to communicate that to the children who enter the facility.
Fun
Language Arts and Math Tutor (Current Employee) –  Lafayette, INMay 8, 2016
Great place!
Easy to get along with other co-tutors.
Descent pay.
Fun place to have kids learn.
Easy to facilitate students that are on the iPads.
Great boss and environment
Director of Education (Former Employee) –  Eagan, MNMarch 20, 2016
Owner was student-focused and believed that the bottom line would be met if families were treated right. Environment was supportive, positive, and high energy.
Pros
environment
Cons
pay
Great Company
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Greenville, NCMay 4, 2016
Great staff. They really care about the student they serve and are dedicated to their learning. The management is awesome and the morale is great.
Professional environment and a great team.
Center Instructor (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAMarch 22, 2016
Typically they would allow you to pick your suitable time slots and on weekly bases they would update you on what times you have students to teach. When you come in to teach they provide you with all the teaching supplies that you need including sometimes an iPad with there main Syslvan sync app for teaching your students, the maximum number of students you would teach goes up to three students at a time, for 45 minutes and 15 minutes of transition time during that you are also responsible for updating your students education log/notes and there earned tokens for use in the Sylvan store till the end of transition time.

We also have monthly meeting going over general concerns of the education system and highlights of our student's progresses, we also do recognize our outstand students and instructors during that time.

it is very flexible job but very high concentration demanding to keep your students in check. I would recommend this job for anyone who like to work with kids as long as you can hand them.
Pros
Flexible
I love working with the students and the bosses are wonderful!
Instructor, (Current Employee) –  Lincoln, NEJanuary 2, 2016
This has been my first job since I moved to Lincoln, NE 6 years ago. After not working in years, this job was like coming home.
Pros
.Everything I loved about teaching, but NO planning! Fantastic!
Cons
Now the minimum wage is 9 dollars an an hour, and I make 9 dollars an hour, hmm...not so sure about that.
Caring employees
center director (Current Employee) –  Westmont, ILJanuary 14, 2016
The centers in the Chicago and west suburban areas are great. The teachers are well trained and present a caring, challenging atmosphere. The co-workers are dedicated and organized. The most enjoyable part of the job is witnessing the positive reaction of the students.
Pros
Professionalism
Great teaching experience
Reading literacy tutor (Current Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNNovember 13, 2015
This is a great place to get teaching experience. If you are flirting with the idea of possibly becoming an educator this is a great place for you to get some experience and see if it is a good match for you. Co-workers are friendly and are always there to help if you have questions and are open to learning from you as well. The hardest part of the job would be that the technology that is used has some bugs and the lesson plans are not the best. The best part of the job would be that you get to work with such a diverse group of kids and get to help them grow.
Pros
great opportunity, nice co-workers
Cons
new management

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sylvan Learning Center. Our community is ready to answer.