Sylvan Learning Center Employee Reviews

Relaxed, friendly and normally paced
Educator (Former Employee) –  Lawrence, KSJune 26, 2017
Sylvan was a tutoring job for kids that needed remedial education in math. We diagnosed their weaknesses and focused on remedial work based on that assessment using Sylvan proprietary methods.
The students were good kids and the staff was friendly and easy going.
Pros
Good kids
Great Program
Center Tutor/Director (Former Employee) –  Brighton, MIJune 22, 2017
I was a tutor then a Center Director. It was a good place to work. Iiked working with local school districts and the diagnostic assessment, I think, made the program very successful.
Fun place to work!
Sylvan Teacher (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 19, 2017
Great part time job for teachers! Easy schedule to work around and student are great. Learning plan are customized for students and upper management is always helpful.
Very nice place to work.
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Delaware, OHJune 16, 2017
Management staff was very friendly. Materials were always available. Lesson plans were clearly laid out. Expectations were clearly stated. Students were there to learn. Parents were involved.
Easy, fun second job
Tutor (Current Employee) –  Brookline, MAJune 15, 2017
I work as a tutor on weekends as a second job. I enjoy tutoring, but time have the time with my full time job to do the lesson prep/planning to freelance tutor. Sylvan is great in that the lessons are already prepped and ready to go - just show up and teach. The is low, not much more than minimum wage and must be ready and willing to teach various subjects and ages at the same time.
Glad Im not there anymore
Associate Director of Education (Former Employee) –  Brighton, MIJune 14, 2017
Not my style. Teacher hours are limited. Directors not well trained. Loved the kids and staff. Loved working with kids through the court system. Too much paperwork for my liking.
Pros
Diversity
Cons
Poor training
Working at Syvlan has given me a great opportunity. The job allows for a flexible schedule, decent compensation, and a great management team.
Director of Education (Current Employee) –  Danville, VAJune 13, 2017
A typical day as Director of Education at Sylvan includes answering the phone, taking inquiry calls, communicating effectively with the parents of our students, and reviewing and editing student learning plans to ensure the educational quality of our product.
Pros
Great work schedule and environment.
Cons
Commute
Great opportunity for a flexible part-time workplace
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Fair Lawn, NJJune 6, 2017
Great part-time job, easy place for a teacher to pick up extra hours. No requirement to prep materials and good hourly rate. Balancing multiple students can be challenging at first and the schedule can fluctuate on short notice.
Pros
Flexible hours, very friendly
Cons
limited opportunities for advancement, inconsistent schedule
Enjoyable experience working with students and teachers
Student Aide (Former Employee) –  Highlands Ranch, COJune 1, 2017
I enjoyed working here. I was an aide so my duties were answering phones and helping teachers. I recommend it. It's a great place to gain teaching experience and to work with students.
Pros
Student and teacher interaction
Cons
Not consistent hours
acheiments for students limited
Tracked all inmateSales & Test Administrator (Former Employee) –  Centennial, COMay 31, 2017
I did sales and test management for Sylvan Learning Center. Always pressured to meet and exceed goals. Convincing parents that this was their right choice of action to help their student. The results varied and felt more could have been done for supplies and earnings and compensation for employees and teachers.
Pros
results seen in students
Cons
hard selling to parents with little omney to expend for their child
Sylvan Learning Center is perfect for educators looking for part time employment.
Teacher (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOMay 30, 2017
Sylvan Learning Center engages students through data prescribed,technology based interactive focus skill lessons as well as other learning tools within a 60 minute session. No lesson planning is required, however session prep is necessary. The curriculum provides explicit direct instruction covering prescribed focus skills. Best learning practices are embedded in the student lessons and online employee training. However, the training platform is not always fully functional from a remote location. Center management also follows best business practices, however, it seems corporate communication sometimes lacks continuity. The most rewarding part of this job is watching students achieve skill mastery without compromise.
Pros
small group instruction, students master skills, no lesson planning
Cons
Online training platform for employees.
Enjoyed working one-on-one with students
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Melbourne, FLMay 30, 2017
I enjoyed being able to work one-on-one or in small groups with students. Each student had their own curriculum based on their strengths and weaknesses.
Pros
one-on-one or small group work with students
Cons
evening and weekend hours
Great Experience
Inclusion Tutor (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXMay 30, 2017
Working at Sylvan is a great out of college job and a great way to get your foot into a teaching career. Decent pay, solid vision and leadership. Overall it was a great experience.
Fun Learning Place For all ages
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Florissant, MOMay 28, 2017
the hardest part of the job is trying to keep students engaged especially during the summer
the most enjoyable part is watching these students grow academically
Pros
high starting pay
Cons
few hours, and set hours that may conflict with schedule if not aware
Life-Work Balance
Director Sales and Marketing (Current Employee) –  Chesapeake, VAMay 27, 2017
Due to extended evening and weekend hours Life/Work balance can be difficult. The most enjoyable part of the job is seeing the children's academic growth..the program does work if parents stick with it. The hardest part of my job is that Sylvan is expensive and many hard working parent cant afford it.
Teacher/tutor at Sylvan
Tutor/Teacher (Former Employee) –  Wales, WIMay 23, 2017
This was a good job for a teacher. I taught beginning reading, math, reading, writing, and study skills. Students would work on lessons while I helped them develop educational concepts. This job was enjoyable and helped me earn a little extra money.
Pros
Using my teaching skills in a productive way
Cons
can't think of any
Great Work Environment
TUTOR (Former Employee) –  Cary, NCMay 21, 2017
Great work environment and the flow of work is comfortable. Students are generally friendly and receptive to help. Management is kind and skilled. The teaching staff is friendly and competent.
Very professional and helpful organization
Instructor/Tutor (Current Employee) –  Northridge, CAMay 17, 2017
• Provide administrative support including accurate data entry and file management.
• Explain problem-solving strategies in easy to follow steps to build critical thinking skills.
• Provide instruction and support, resulting in better understanding.
• Manage program information, record, and enter data.
I worked there for fours years
CERTIFIED READING AND WRITING TEACHER (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVMay 15, 2017
Greeting parents and children. Language Arts , Writing and Physical Education. I learned that it should always be about the student and not me. I recently managed 18 pre k students , full time for 8 months. I did enjoy the private school setting and the religion offered . The experience was full and I miss those students.
Must be an but kisser
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Kingsport, TNMay 14, 2017
must kiss butt to get anywhere in company and all about whom your friends are there and how well you get along with them. got passed up twice for a position that i was qualified for
Pros
the kid to teacher ratio
Cons
management and staff

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sylvan Learning Center. Our community is ready to answer.