Sylvan Learning Center Employee Reviews

Sylvan is a excellent place for teachers to stretch their abilities and work in small groups with various age students
Teacher - Kindergarten through Adult (Current Employee) –  Bossier City, LAApril 2, 2017
Sylvan has opportunities for teachers to see immediate results working with small groups at a time. The program allows for teachers to learn content areas outside of individual concentrations.
Pros
flexible hours, unique teaching opportunities
Cons
Low pay, no real benefits for part time workers
Fun workplace, only for people wanting a little extra money
Instructional Assistant (Current Employee) –  Danville, VAApril 2, 2017
I love working at Sylvan. I have the best job there. I get to interact with the kids and help them with any additional concerns they have. I get to decorate for each holiday, play games with the students, make copies, put away files, answer phone calls, and watch over the teachers to help them when needed. This job is definitely not for someone that is looking for any benefits or a lot of hours. A usual day is two and a half hours, except on Saturdays where it's 3. There are no benefits and you get paid under $10 an hour depending on what you do.
Pros
Short hours
Cons
No benefits, paid at the end of each month
Excellent
Director of Education (Current Employee) –  Highlands Ranch, COMarch 31, 2017
I loved this place. It is great to see the students improve when they haven't before. There is nothing better than having a parent meeting and they begin crying in your office because they are so proud of their student.
Great Company to work for.
Marketing and Sales (Former Employee) –  Mission Viejo, CAMarch 26, 2017
Management and ownership of this franchise is top notch. Very friendly work environment and great to work with all the kids. It is really a purposeful job.
Pros
Great work environment
Cons
nothing
Great Experience, Relaxed Environment
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Harlingen, TXMarch 23, 2017
I like working with Sylvan. The students are great, and it's so much easier and more effective to teach in small groups; you won't get anymore than three students per session. The teachers there are semi-retired, recent graduates, taking time off from their regular school jobs, or just couldn't go on working in a traditional school setting. Whatever the reasons, they all seem to enjoy working with Sylvan.

Although the schedule is flexible and you get to pick your hours, there aren't any benefits for tutors, there's no guarantee of the amount of hours you will get, and there's no vacation or sick days. So I would only recommend Sylvan as a means of supplementing your income or gaining experience.

During the school year, Sylvan is open as a an after-school program plus Saturday school, but their hours extend during the summer so it makes a good summer job too.
Pros
great experience, relaxed envirnoment, support
Cons
no benefits
Was able to start a career in tutoring.
Director of Math (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, WAMarch 23, 2017
I tutored students in Math, SAT and Study Skills. Despite the mismanagement I did enjoy working with the students, primarily middle and high school level.
The only thing that I found challenging was when I had to tutor 3 students at once and they were working on 3 different things.
Not enough time was allowed to really help each student in the time period allotted.
I loved this place
Teacher's Aide (Former Employee) –  Antioch, TNMarch 22, 2017
I use to attend Sylvan for tutoring and they asked me if I wanted to be a teacher's aide. I took the position and I love it because I got to help the teachers as well as get paid, too. I was 15 when I first got this job.
Pros
I got offered this position.
Cons
nothing
Tutor
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Rocky Mount, NCMarch 21, 2017
This was a part-time while I was in between jobs. Not something to make a lot of money due to lack of hours. I enjoyed it while I was there. Love helping the children succeed.
Pros
Helping children.
Cons
Little hours.
Good Company and great mission
Instructor (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDMarch 19, 2017
Hands down the best part of the job is the children and the families that you get to interact with everyday. If you work hard their is a good opportunity to move up in the company.
Depends on Franchise
Director of Community Partnerships (Former Employee) –  Johnston, IAMarch 8, 2017
As a whole, I'm sure this company is not all bad. However, if you have a heart for kids and education and are organized, your individual franchise may not meet your expectations. There is a lot of corporate compliance issues, questionable business practices, and very little concern for the advancement of students and more concern for the dollars collected from tutoring of children.
Pros
Working with kids and great teachers
Cons
Healthcare, Structure, Organization
Comfortable work environment.
Tutor in Math and Reading (Current Employee) –  Wichita Falls, TXFebruary 24, 2017
Comfortable working environment. Both management and staff are very friendly and are a joy to work with.

The job is self satisfying, in that, you are able to see students growth.
Very fast paced
Assistant Director & Teacher (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZFebruary 19, 2017
Diagnostic testing is good, but may not necessarily help with what student needs for school right now. You have to be ready to move fast!
Tutor
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOFebruary 19, 2017
I loved working at Sylvan learning center. The only reason why I left was because my commute was too long with my main job. They are VERY flexible with schedules and pleasant to work with and for.
Pros
No lesson planning, always small groups
Cons
tutors can only work part time
An okay job; no benefits; heavy sales push
Center Director (Former Employee) –  Coon Rapids, MNFebruary 6, 2017
There was a heavy sales push but the non-standard hours were nice. there weren't benefits so that made it difficult.
I learned that management only really cared about how many loans were being pushed through. the culture was a little hostile if you did not hit your sales goal. The regular staff was very nice to work with
Personalized Learning Programs for Each student
Center Director/Academic Tutor (Current Employee) –  Loves Park, ILFebruary 5, 2017
Sylvan keeps students the focus when it comes to the design of their lessons. Teachers are trained professionals and are dedicated to student growth.
Great expiriense
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  2720 calloway Drive 93312January 31, 2017
Sylvan learning center helps children improve their reading skills and help raise their grades.The management system works perfect communication is not an issue everyone there is a team player.
Pros
Working as a team
Productive and fun
Site-Coordinator (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAJanuary 20, 2017
It was a small group of employees that were great in providing motivation to one another. Everyone is available to help each other in order to excel in their assignments. I was able to learn management of a large group of students in allowing me to place each student in the proper program to help them excel in their studies, such as math and English.
Pros
a diverse group of employees
Cons
short staffed
Great supportive work environment
Reading Tutor (Current Employee) –  Fairfield, CAJanuary 20, 2017
I love working with these people, and working together to advance the education of children who would otherwise be left behind.
Pros
supportive management
helps alot of people, but is a stressful place to work
Administrator/ Director/ Teacher (Former Employee) –  AK, AZ, MA, OKJanuary 17, 2017
High stress place to work, a lot of turnover, hard to schedule your day when test are scheduled without your knowledge of their day/time until the morning of, which can make it difficult if you are the only person there and you are already scheduled to do parent conferences......that being said, what this program can do for students is amazing, but sometimes heartbreaking when doing the initial testing when you see how much they've fallen behind.
Pros
what they can do for the students
Cons
scheduling
Supplemental Income with a flexible Schedule
Supervisor/Tutor at Sylvan Mission Sattellite (Current Employee) –  McAllen, TXJanuary 16, 2017
Sylvan Learning Centers are a large tutoring outfit in the United States with offices in various States across the country. As a tutor you can expect to have a very flexible schedule that meets the demands of your other work places, however, your schedule is subject to change so expect no more than 3 to 4 hours tops per day. Work days are Monday through Saturday. It may be hard for you to find enough hours to meet your demands if you do not have any teaching experience. Most sylvan instructors are preferred with teacher certification, but a 4 year degree will suffice. They give preference to their certified teachers, but if you show you are capable, willing and hardworking they will give you preference. Still be advised that tutoring is mostly in the afternoons due to school hours and thus your schedule may still be limited.

A typical day at work consist of greeting students and teaching them for periods of 1 hour or more using the Sylvan Sync software on the iPads. A period consists of exactly one hour comprised of 50 minutes of instruction and a Short 10 minute break to log students work and prepare for the next hour.

Skills I learned included and improved included reading, math and sciences tutoring. Student management, and parental interactions, and how to assist students with learning disabilities.

The management is strong and reliable with a friendly disposition.
Co-workers are friendly and committed to their work.

The hardest part of this job will be managing students who might possibly have some form of learning disability. Sylvan Learning does not
  more... directly test for learning disabilities. As such, you must have a calm and collected personality, and be able to cope with the stress of managing kids who may provide significant challenge.

The best part of this job is watching the grin on the faces and the glint in the eyes of the kids when they finally get what you are trying to explain to them. It's satisfying, believe me.
Pros
flexible schedule, part time, can be combined with another job with minimal inconvenience.
Cons
lower than average pay rate for tutors that are Teacher Certified

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sylvan Learning Center. Our community is ready to answer.

CEO Approval