Sylvan Learning Center

Sylvan Learning Center Employer Reviews

not my type of work
Team Member (Former Employee), Warsaw, INMay 8, 2014
not my type of work enviornment, boring, tutors were interactive though with students
Wonderful program, training, and experience.
Sylvan Learning Center (Former Employee), Springfield, MOMay 4, 2014
I tutored 3 students at a time per hour; each had an individualized plan therefore, I could be tutoring 3 different subjects at the same time.
A company that offers a top notch service to families and students
Manager (Former Employee), Los Angeles, CAMay 4, 2014
Pros: sylvan is the best in the industry for supplemental education services
Cons: long work hours, unreasonable time commitment expectations
The services Sylvan provides are second to none. The senior management, leaders etc.however are more money focused and expect so much of their employees.
Supplemental education tutoring company
Center Director (Current Employee), Twinsburg, OHMay 2, 2014
Challenges one to be the best they can be and still be able to serve young studnets. On a typical day, I work on customer service, billing, payroll, staff, and training. I am the sole full time position in the center.
Like Director, but owners keep far away. Very low pay for work put out
Teacher (Current Employee), Flower Mound, TexasApril 28, 2014
Pros: teaching students; easy for me with 13 yrs. experience teaching
Cons: very low pay, not given opportunity with my potential, can be disorganized at times
I am working there now and I love the flexibility & the students. Promises to move up were not kept. Turnover medium to high due to low pay. I am a huge asset with my Dyslexia certification, ESL certification, 13 years teaching experience, BBA, & MBA with 10 years experience in Office Mgmt./Accounting. I have been overlooked, and it makes me very sad – more... because they DON'T see my potential. I wanted.to have my own Center & I know I would have done a great job. I'm still teaching there, but will have to move on at some point. – less
Teacher
Lead Instructor (Former Employee), Exton, PAApril 22, 2014
My frist experience out of college. I taught first grade for two years.
Short Job Stints
Site Coordinator (Former Employee), Fairfield, CAApril 18, 2014
Sylvan offers short contracts for positions that may last only a few months. So they are not who you go to for full time, permanent work. The staff were all great, the environment is clean and supportive. I would have loved to be there longer!
Director of Education (Former Employee), Victorville, CAApril 16, 2014
Pros: 3 day weekends
Cons: franchise, family
I was a director of education for only a month and was let go because they wanted to close down the center. I don't recommend working with a franchise owner. I loved the job and students.
Great place for students to learn
Tutor/Teacher (Current Employee), Canandaigua and Geneva NYApril 14, 2014
Sylvan is an excellent center for additional help outside of the classroom.
Low pay lots of work
Instructor (Former Employee), Greenville, NCApril 8, 2014
management was poor and the compensation was extremely poor
Job as a Director at Sylvan
Director of Education (Former Employee), Fort Worth, TXApril 8, 2014
Pros: sylvan program, students, teachers, and parents
Cons: hours, low pay, bonus structure is a joke
The Sylvan program works great for the students. I loved what I did there but getting the help needed from Center Director or being allowed to have an assistant was non existent which led to being overworked and burnt out. Can't run a business on a shoe string budget and expect it to prosper. No room for advancement.
Love working in the education field, good experience working in the management area of this field.
Director of Education (Former Employee), Spencer, IAApril 5, 2014
Pros: working with children and other teachers, management experience, supervision experience.
Cons: i was fired as the new management switched to ipad teaching, i was told it was because they were going in a new direction, but i helped them get there.
My typical day at work would begin at 8:00 am by checking phone calls and setting appointments. With Sylan's method of student analysis, the child was tested to assess math, reading, and comprehension skills. As director of the education department, I would schedule and administer these tests during the mornings.

The afternoons consisted of preparing – more... the center for classes to start following school time, I was responsible for organizing all teaching tables with books and necessary materials daily.

I would also be responsible to make sure that we had enough teachers, without having too many present, for each session.

Lastly, my responsibilities included making sure all teachers were properly trained and updated on training as needed. – less
Very fun place to work.
Teacher Assistant (Former Employee), Greenville , NCMarch 30, 2014
I was a teachers assistant at a after school program at a elementary school in the Greenville area. I would help them step up for there class and I would help the teacher with things that needed to be done.
Get ready to learn
Tutor (Former Employee), Denville, NJMarch 25, 2014
this is a nice place with very friendly students who aren't stuck up and are willing to learn. the employees there are also nice and if you don't understand something and you need help they are there for you.
Good tutoring services
Teacher's Assistant (Former Employee), Maplewood, MNMarch 21, 2014
I enjoyed working as a teacher's assistant for Sylvan Learning Center because I felt I was having a positive impact in education, even when my work was mostly in support of the instructors. This to me was the most enjoyable part.

I learned how to manage an office, and it was the first place I learned multitasking in a job.

The hardest part was simply – more... being there some slower days on my own watching the center, and working on filing, but this was more slow then hard work. – less
Scottsdale parents are a challenge to work with.
Office Manager (Current Employee), Scottsdale, AZMarch 12, 2014
Pros: ideal employer/boss
Cons: work hours are too late
The owner of the center is very considerate and a good friend. She is well liked and well known in the community for her business of 31 years. The center is a word of mouth business and consistently ranks among the highest earning learning centers nationwide. The downside is the work hours not so much because of its 56 hours work week but because of – more... its 9:30 am to 9:00 pm schedule. Their is hardly any time left for a personal life with this schedule. – less
Nice place to work
Teacher (Former Employee), Wyomissing PAMarch 12, 2014
Small groups
Helped students with their reading and math skills
Students were well behaved and had a desire to get better
Excellent organization, planning, implementing, and support.
Elementary Teacher (Current Employee), Rochester, NYMarch 12, 2014
Pros: part time - monday to thursday after school.
Cons: no benefits
The students are the most enjoyable part of my job and Sylvan provides me the opportunity to be the best teacher I can be. I am teaching math and reading enrichment in an after school program run by Sylvan at Kodak Park School in Rochester for 1st and 2nd grade students. All the teachers and staff that I have interacted with are supportive and dedicated – more... to helping the children succeed. – less
Typical clerical work
Part-time Teachers Assistant/Clerical (Former Employee), Lancaster, CAMarch 5, 2014
Typical clerical work, slow paced4. Got to work on my own and loved it
Okay place to work.I enjoy the kids and my coworkers.
Tutor (Former Employee), St. Louis, MOFebruary 28, 2014
Planned and implemented a new after school tutoring program. Established and conducted group individualized training designed to enhance the knowledge and ability of students to complete coursework.

About Sylvan Learning Center

For Educate, the name says it all. Its portfolio of companies¬†features Sylvan Learning Center, which¬†offers tutoring to students – Read more

Sylvan Learning Center Photos