Sylvan Learning Center

Fast paced SDLC
Telecommuting options
Tutor
Tutor (Former Employee), Chicago, ILOctober 16, 2014
Pros: educating children
Cons: not enough time
Great company the work for, they treated me very well. I learned how to be very patient with children. My manager did not pull any punches, she was direct and straight to the point. My co-workers were very professional. The hardest part of the job was trying to complete the lesson in one session. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with the children.
Great place to grow
On-Site Manager/ Assistant Director / Clerk (Current Employee), McAllen, TxOctober 11, 2014
Pros: lots of room to move up, great people to work with, fun
Cons: unreliable hours
Working here did not have a typical day, no routine. Everyday was different and interesting. I learned many things that is needed for an office position.
Gifted teachers are dedicated to building confidence in students.
Teacher (Former Employee), Tucson, AZOctober 4, 2014
Pros: helpful co-workers and supervisors, motivated students
Cons: part-time work with no benefits
I usually worked with three students at a table, frequently at different grade levels. I was usually assigned different subjects to teach during a lesson hour. Some students taking writing, study skills and SATprep were given assignments from books, while most reading and math students were working on i-Pads. My supervisors were very supportive and they always appreciated suggestions for improving instruction. My co-workers were a delight. We helped each other out throughout the day. We really functioned as a team and we frequently socialized outside of work. The hardest part of the job for me was table management. It was often challenging to teach guided practice to one student while making sure that the other two students working independently were always on-task. The greatest pleasure I got was watching the confidence levels of students increase and to see how proud they were when their grades in school steadily improved. I can honestly say that the teachers at our learning center really got positive results for our efforts and we performed an important service for the community.
Field position with home office and 95% travel
Operations, Sales & Quality Assurance Consultant (Current Employee), Southlake, Arlington, and Burleson, TXOctober 1, 2014
Results/goal oriented
Capable of handling many tasks and roles
Innovative and efficient worker
Driven to be the best
Tutoring
Administrative Assistant/Teacher Aid (Former Employee), Long Beach, CASeptember 9, 2014
I assisted teachers in providing them with materials. As I grew in the company, I became an administrative asst. I also tested kids to see where they were at in different subjects.
Enjoyed the work, low pay
Professional Tutor (Former Employee), Raleigh, NCSeptember 6, 2014
Sylvan charges a lot of money per hour per student. You teach 3 kids at a time and get paid very little. Hours are minimal.
it was a great place to work
Assistant (Former Employee), Fort Worth, TXSeptember 4, 2014
I enjoyed working there. I worked there for 7 years with increasing responsibility. The owner sold the center and the new owner closed the location that I was working. It will open up next year at a new location.
Instructional Assistant
Instructional Assistant (Current Employee), Rancho Cucamonga, CASeptember 3, 2014
Pros: fulfilling work
Cons: short hours
Great Place To Work For. The center is great. Everyone is friendly. Office environment. Not very difficult.
Acct executive- challenging but fun job
Center Director (Current Employee), Downey, CAAugust 30, 2014
Pros: great training, great management, great benefits, great pay and great everything
Cons: cmpany transferred to texas
Loved this job, but business transferred out of state. I did not want to transfer so I did not move with the company.
I loved this job
Book Keeper (Former Employee), Jackson, MIJuly 31, 2014
I worked here after Hurricane Katrina when I moved to Mississippi after I lost everything. Great learning experience
Great!
Teacher (Former Employee), Austin, TXJuly 25, 2014
Sylvan is a great place to work. Their tutoring program is the best I have ever seen.
The kids were great, the company..not so much
Tutor (Current Employee), Algonquin, ILJuly 22, 2014
It was fun to interact with children but the lesson plans are very scripted and repetitive. The company itself is very unorganized and unhelpful.
Fun place to work, great management
Instructor (Former Employee), Peru, ILJuly 15, 2014
Loved coming to work every day, management was helpful and supportive, resources were always readily available
Helping others succeed
Teacher's Assitant (Former Employee), Lumberton, NCJuly 15, 2014
Tutor and help children gain understanding in reading and math
Loved what the company stood for
Center Director (Former Employee), Louisville, KYJuly 15, 2014
Sylvan is a Great tool for students who need to catch up and those that want to get ahead. I believe strongly in the product but the management at my center was terrible. The cost keeps many students from being able to attend but it is worth the money
fun and rewarding
English tutor (Former Employee), Johnston, IAJuly 14, 2014
Pros: bonus money for not needing a sub
Cons: job ends when summer vacation starts
I loved to sit with the kids and teach them new things. I loved seeing the looks on their faces when they finally understood the lesson. And I love the bonds that you develop with the students.
Great Place to work
Math Tutor (Current Employee), Hamilton, NJJuly 2, 2014
Excellent place to work. Staff is very friendly. You have the opportunity to work individually with students and help them succeed. It is very rewarding to watch the students grow.
Tedious, good environment
Teacher Assistant (Former Employee), Katy, TXJune 25, 2014
Pros: the kids are a blast
Cons: no advancement possibilities
not much to say just helped the teachers who were dedicated to helping children
Server (Current Employee), Tampa, FLJune 24, 2014
I enjoyed my experience at Sylvan and working with the wonderful students. I worked here while i was completing my Masters, they were flexible with my schedule, assisted me with school work, and provided effective studying tips! I couldn't have been blessed with a better place to work.

About Sylvan Learning Center

For Educate, the name says it all. Its portfolio of companies¬†features Sylvan Learning Center, which¬†offers tutoring to students – Read more

Sylvan Learning Center Salaries

$35,368 per year
Part-time Associate
$13.33 per hour

Sylvan Learning Center Photos

Sylvan is there for your school's after-school programming.