Sylvan Learning Center Employee Reviews

lovely staff and employer
ASSISTANT DIRECTOR (Former Employee) –  Layton, UTJuly 28, 2017
Work at sylvan in Layton Utah, they always felt like family. Had a great support system, always felt comfortable to talk openly. Some kids really needed help and worked with patient, dedicated teachers that made me enjoy teaching even more.
Pros
great co workers and director, gr3at well maintaned facility
Cons
cinsidered part-part time job, not many work hours available.
all about the money
Director of Education (Former Employee) –  Waldorf, MDJuly 28, 2017
This particular center, in which I worked for ten months 25 years ago, was based solely on its overheard costs and not the individual student's success. As a director, I was not given the freedom I needed to allow for higher success levels although the tutors were very passionate and qualified.

The most enjoyable part was the students who, despite having put in a full school day before arriving at the center, were upbeat and positive.
Pros
the positive students and hardworking tutors
Cons
the manager
Part-time to Full-time
Lead teacher (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MOJuly 27, 2017
I was hired as a part-time teacher/tutor, but quickly promoted to Lead Teacher which is a full-time position with management responsibilities. I scheduled parent-meetings,
Pros
Great people!
Cons
Fun and learning hand in hand
STEM Teacher (Former Employee) –  Newport News, VAJuly 23, 2017
Sylvan Learning Center teaches students from grade 2 to high school about various STEM techniques. From basic game design, engineering, math, LEGO robotics, and SAT prep, Sylvan's goal is to provide students with any kind of learning style lessons that will help them succeed while having fun in the process. Some students are harder to work with than others though it is rewarding to help students grow.
Pros
Helping students grow, fun lessons, simple work load
Cons
Difficult students, classes can be cancelled without enough students
Great, dedicated teachers
Teacher/Tutor (Current Employee) –  Lake Zurich, ILJuly 21, 2017
I really enjoy the teachers I work with here. They are all professional, friendly, and work hard to provide a relaxed atmosphere in which the students can work. They are very knowledgeable and sincerely want to help students succeed.
Created curriculum for students from Pre-K-12
Director of Education (Former Employee) –  Cary, NCJuly 19, 2017
Had to create curriculum based on each individual's needs. I had to create fun ways of learning while constantly giving assessments to assess skills. The job was enjoyable because I was able to work with several different people in a diversified setting.
Pros
Working with different individuals
Cons
The demand on making sales
Dynamic Work Environment with Flexible Scheduling
Certified Math Instructor (Current Employee) –  Lafayette, INJuly 17, 2017
Sylvan provides individuals, who are interested in education, an opportunity to become a certified reading or math instructor in an interactive and personalized learning environment. While working at Sylvan, I have learned how to effectively communicate with both fellow co-workers and students. The most difficult aspect of working at Sylvan is multi-tasking, which is a necessary skill to simultaneously instruct up to three students at a time.
Pros
Friendly instructors and management
Cons
Minimal breaks
Fun part time job
Tutor (Current Employee) –  Corpus Christi, TXJuly 11, 2017
Must love kids! Tutoring for Sylvan is nice because there is no lesson planning or take-home grading. Behavioral problems are minimal. Sylvan shows appreciation to tutors in lots of little ways, but pay is not one of them.
Pros
schedule and kids
Cons
no real advancement or raises.
Focused and productive place to work
Director of Instruction (Former Employee) –  West Bend, WIJuly 5, 2017
Sylvan is an organized place for anyone to work. The goals set by the company are geared toward the typical day of any business: initiate new business contacts, provide satisfactory services to its present clients, and change company goals as needed.
teaching assistant
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Boardman, OHJuly 2, 2017
sylvan is a great place to make a couple extra bucks tutoring. they hire teachers or people with core subject degrees. I worked there in college as a teaching assistant.
Sylvan
Instructor (Former Employee) –  Tupelo, MSJune 28, 2017
This is a great place to make some extra money while helping tutor children of all ages. Very rewarding seeing the students progression through the program
Relaxed, friendly and normally paced
Educator (Former Employee) –  Lawrence, KSJune 26, 2017
Sylvan was a tutoring job for kids that needed remedial education in math. We diagnosed their weaknesses and focused on remedial work based on that assessment using Sylvan proprietary methods.
The students were good kids and the staff was friendly and easy going.
Pros
Good kids
Great Program
Center Tutor/Director (Former Employee) –  Brighton, MIJune 22, 2017
I was a tutor then a Center Director. It was a good place to work. Iiked working with local school districts and the diagnostic assessment, I think, made the program very successful.
Fun place to work!
Sylvan Teacher (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 19, 2017
Great part time job for teachers! Easy schedule to work around and student are great. Learning plan are customized for students and upper management is always helpful.
Very nice place to work.
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Delaware, OHJune 16, 2017
Management staff was very friendly. Materials were always available. Lesson plans were clearly laid out. Expectations were clearly stated. Students were there to learn. Parents were involved.
Easy, fun second job
Tutor (Current Employee) –  Brookline, MAJune 15, 2017
I work as a tutor on weekends as a second job. I enjoy tutoring, but time have the time with my full time job to do the lesson prep/planning to freelance tutor. Sylvan is great in that the lessons are already prepped and ready to go - just show up and teach. The is low, not much more than minimum wage and must be ready and willing to teach various subjects and ages at the same time.
Glad Im not there anymore
Associate Director of Education (Former Employee) –  Brighton, MIJune 14, 2017
Not my style. Teacher hours are limited. Directors not well trained. Loved the kids and staff. Loved working with kids through the court system. Too much paperwork for my liking.
Pros
Diversity
Cons
Poor training
Working at Syvlan has given me a great opportunity. The job allows for a flexible schedule, decent compensation, and a great management team.
Director of Education (Current Employee) –  Danville, VAJune 13, 2017
A typical day as Director of Education at Sylvan includes answering the phone, taking inquiry calls, communicating effectively with the parents of our students, and reviewing and editing student learning plans to ensure the educational quality of our product.
Pros
Great work schedule and environment.
Cons
Commute
Great opportunity for a flexible part-time workplace
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Fair Lawn, NJJune 6, 2017
Great part-time job, easy place for a teacher to pick up extra hours. No requirement to prep materials and good hourly rate. Balancing multiple students can be challenging at first and the schedule can fluctuate on short notice.
Pros
Flexible hours, very friendly
Cons
limited opportunities for advancement, inconsistent schedule
Enjoyable experience working with students and teachers
Student Aide (Former Employee) –  Highlands Ranch, COJune 1, 2017
I enjoyed working here. I was an aide so my duties were answering phones and helping teachers. I recommend it. It's a great place to gain teaching experience and to work with students.
Pros
Student and teacher interaction
Cons
Not consistent hours

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sylvan Learning Center. Our community is ready to answer.