Sylvan Learning Center Employee Reviews

Very small work environment; friendly people
Certified Tutor (Former Employee) –  Jackson, MSMay 18, 2016
I enjoyed my time at Sylvan. The staff is so loving, and friendly. They are very much willing to work with you and your schedule. You pretty much set your own schedule. The pay could have been more for certified teachers, though.
Rewarding
Director (Current Employee) –  IllinoisMay 31, 2016
Overall pretty good. Great to see kids succeed, and build relationships with families. Hours are different and not great if you have kids of your own. Depending on the owner, you might have a better experiences that another location
Pros
Rewarding
Cons
Inconvenient Hours
Very gratifying work with children that want to learn.
Regional Director of Sales and Community Outreach (Former Employee) –  GeorgiaFebruary 18, 2016
Every day was different in that I traveled store to store so the geography and personnel was always changing. The mornings were typical of most sales organizations. Early work is for prospecting and organization for enrollment meetings and testing of children. The afternoons are mostly meetings and meet the parents at pick up/dropoff. Overall, I loved the job and was fulfilled emotionally. Pay was not great and owner was always raising sales goals to keep from having to pay bonus $$.
Pros
Rewarding to see it in action
Cons
Bait and switch owner
Nice place to work
Part-Time Teacher Assistant/ Secretary (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHApril 13, 2013
A typical day at work consisted of getting materials ready for the teachers and students such as books, pencils, and other materials. I would answer the phone and take down messages if managers weren't able to take them; filed paper work, prepared weekend tests for new students, prepared bills to be mailed off to parents and or guardians, and cleaned the center. I learned that working together with co-workers is very effective and we as a group got things done. Co-workers were a joy to be around but the management wasn't always the best. The most enjoyable part of the job was to see the kids and help them succeed in their academic careers.
Pros
flexible work schedule
Cons
constant management changes
Never a dull moment at Sylvan
Center Director (Current Employee) –  Langhorne, PAMarch 8, 2013
Sylvan is an incredible place to work. As a Center Director, I can say that I wear many hats throughout the day; I act as the General Business Manager, Director of Admissions, Financial Consultant, Accountant, Teacher, Mentor and Staffing Agent. I have been graced with the ability to work with hundreds of students from all walks of life achieve their academic potential. My training, as well as Sylvan’s expectations, have been great and incredibly diverse. This has made me an expert in the field of education as well as business as I confidently run a thriving center while delivering services that have won the praise of my clients and the acclaim of many local organizations.
While certain circumstances have prevented me from still working there, Sylvan Learning Center is a very positive environment for students!
Program Manager & Director of Education (Former Employee) –  Lumberton & Fayetteville, NCSeptember 12, 2011
I enjoyed working at Sylvan Learning Center. I like the fact that they have an assessment that will lead to the individualized instruction for each student. The atmosphere is positive as well! Teachers continually hand out praise and tokens! For the students' hard work, they get to keep a checkbook and spend their tokens at a school store. Not only do they increase their school skills and become more confident, but they also gain life skills! All in all, it is a very enjoyable atmosphere in which to work! :)
Pros
positive environment
Challenging and stressful but somewhat rewarding
Director of Education (Former Employee) –  Fullerton, CAOctober 2, 2012
A typical day at work would be to prepare parent conferences, schedule teachers to work each week and each day, promote the center through answering phone calls, and teaching students as needed. I learned that I enjoyed helping students in small groups and one-on-one. I also learned that it was still a business and ultimately needed to make money to help myself earn bonuses each month. That was the hardest part of the job for me--selling the business. I was more comfortable teaching and handling the educational side. That was the most enjoyable part of the job--watching students improve and get to grade level work and sometimes above grade level. My co-workers also made my job enjoyable. They were friendly and caring. Management visited occasionally and helped at times,when we needed them. But the managers and the long hours also caused us undue stress when they pushed earning more money for the center and competing against other centers.
Tutor
Director of Education (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMay 19, 2016
I started as a tutor then moved my way up to Director of Education. I still work with the student and now I also work with the parents. I also over see 10+ teachers.
Pros
being able to work with students and parents
Perfect Part time Job!
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Grayslake, ILJune 17, 2013
With only a few hours a week, working at Sylvan is similar to having a second family. The staff is very friendly and everyone enjoys one another's company. Teaching at the tables is very structured yet individualized for each student. Training is online and informative. The hardest part of the job is maintaining organization and seamlessness when teaching three students three different programs (called table management) but the lead teachers are available to assist when needed. The easy going atmosphere and family-esque environment is definitely the best part of the job.
Pros
Free pop, water, snacks
Cons
Part time, no benefits
Great people
Consultant (Former Employee) –  BaltimoreOctober 15, 2013
I was with the company for 11 years. Met my closest friends from Sylvan. The people have big hearts and are passionate about what they are doing..helping student become successful in school and in life. Executive team needs to stop letting go of the good ones. The hardest part of my job was the travel. Because I am single, I was all over North America and I feel I was taken advantage of. Other than that, I loved being part of this organization.
Pros
Baseball games, chili cookoff, Summer hours, casual dress
Cons
Not much promotion from within, good ole boys gang at times
Love working in the education field, good experience working in the management area of this field.
Director of Education (Former Employee) –  Spencer, IAApril 5, 2014
My typical day at work would begin at 8:00 am by checking phone calls and setting appointments. With Sylan's method of student analysis, the child was tested to assess math, reading, and comprehension skills. As director of the education department, I would schedule and administer these tests during the mornings.

The afternoons consisted of preparing the center for classes to start following school time, I was responsible for organizing all teaching tables with books and necessary materials daily.

I would also be responsible to make sure that we had enough teachers, without having too many present, for each session.

Lastly, my responsibilities included making sure all teachers were properly trained and updated on training as needed.
Pros
Working with children and other teachers, management experience, supervision experience.
Cons
I was fired as the new management switched to IPad teaching, I was told it was because they were going in a new direction, but I helped them get there.
only 2 hours a week
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Lillington, NCMay 5, 2016
only 2 hours a week, who can live on 2 hours a week. glad this place shut done within a year of me quitting. kids were horrible and ran the place.
Pros
no place for advacment
Cons
10 dollars per hour
After school tutoring program
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Hoover, ALMay 18, 2016
The program at Sylvan is beneficial to students looking for extra help. The teachers truly care about the students they are working with.
Honesty and Training
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Kirby, TXAugust 1, 2015
A typical day at work was okay. We as teachers spoke to each other prior to scheduled assignments. We prepare for the students we are teaching and tutoring.

I learned that you must cover yourself and document your day, everyday. Depending on the Management, you may not be able to trust their words or any documents they supply about you.

Co-workers were great. Easy to work with, and helpful to assist you which benefited the student's and the employer.

The hardest part of the job is not obtaining the necessary training or feedback to best improve your skills.

The most enjoyable part of working are the kids. Watching you make a connection with them and watching thyem feel great when they accomplish something new.
Pros
Helping Children with Academics
Fun place to work.
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Valencia, CAFebruary 18, 2013
A typical day at work involved tutoring two to three students at a time. i learned how to teach in this environment. Management did not consist of educators, so management had a limited understanding of the education end of the business. There was little interaction with my co-workers, due to the learning arrangement. The hardest part of the job was irregular, short hours, so compnesation could not be relied upon. The most enjoyable part of the job was the relaxed learning environment.
Pros
relaxed learning environment.
Cons
short hours, insufficient compensation
Owners who Don't care about kids.
Director (Former Employee) –  Springfield, ILDecember 16, 2013
The turn over is ridiculous. There is absolutely ZERO job security. They lay off/fire people every few months because all they care about are sales and money. They don't care about the families who invest thousands of dollars, or the kids who are struggling and go to Sylvan to get better in reading/math etc. The pay is sad. Especially, for professional teachers, most of whom have master degrees. There are no benefits either.
Pros
Kids and parents are great
Cons
low pay, lack of benefits, no home life, expected to work every weekend, unprofessional, owners.
Very intense workplace
Reading Teacher (Former Employee) –  Newport News, VAAugust 14, 2012
This employer completes the pre and post intervention assessments and all instructional planning. The teacher serves 3 - 5 at one time in separate educational programs. The teaching activities can be ver intense, but the scope of responsibilities is limited.

Assessment results are not always accurate in terms of student need. Very expensive option for parents. This is simply tutoring - not magic!
Pros
limited responsibilities outside of lesson delivery
Cons
limited opportunity for advancement, low compensation, no benefits available
I loved Sylvan!!!
Center Assistant (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLMarch 7, 2016
I absolutely love children, to be able to work with them and watch them thrive in an environment like sylvan was a pleasure! The environment was relaxed, professional and kind. There was never any drama or even the slightest bit of tension among any of the employees. I'm really sorry that the school district cut funding for that particular program. I loved being there.
Pros
amazing overall
Cons
minimum wage
Fun
Language Arts and Math Tutor (Current Employee) –  Lafayette, INMay 8, 2016
Great place!
Easy to get along with other co-tutors.
Descent pay.
Fun place to have kids learn.
Easy to facilitate students that are on the iPads.
Enjoyable work environment
Tutor (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJanuary 22, 2016
Each class is set up for about 8-9 kids. They are placed into groups depending on their skill level. There is a scripted curriculum each teacher is given to ensure all students are being taught the same material. Co workers are very friendly and helpful. The hardest part of the job is maintaining focus of the children. They are coming from school, so it is difficult to keep their attention when they want to be playing. The most enjoyable part is seeing the children learn and enjoy what is being taught.
Pros
free snacks
Cons
small amount of hours

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sylvan Learning Center. Our community is ready to answer.