Sylvan Learning Center

Sylvan Learning Center Employer Reviews

good part time job for educators...not much compensation or benefits
Part-time tutor (Current Employee), Tacoma, WADecember 16, 2013
Pros: close to my residence and easy cummute
Cons: all work tends to be evening hours
I live close to a sylvan and I am retired educator, so I enjoy it. Each teacher tutors three students for one hour sessions. I like working with the teachers and the students. There is some frustration, as management want you to teach sylvan material.
A Great Place to Work
Tutor (Current Employee), Bakersfield, CADecember 6, 2013
Pros: afternoon hours work well with teachers and subs
Cons: part-time mainly
Sylvan has a good program in place. Its easy to follow and easy to present to the students. Just show up and follow the script. The management tools (tokens) are easy to use also. The Bakersfield management is great and very supportive.
This is a place to grow your soul.
Tutor of Beginning Reading (Current Employee), Gardena, CADecember 5, 2013
Pros: job satisfaction/feeling of doing something for the world
A wonderful place to work because they teach you how to teach according to their time-tested methodology. In my nearly eight years with the firm, I have continuously seen students of all ages - from four years old to sixty-four years old, benefit from the Sylvan program. It is designed to enhance reading, writing, and mathematics skills. There is also – more... a psychological component that works on instilling confidence, particularly in those who have been lacking it for a long time. Many times, when students have not been successful in academics, there can be much backlash from teachers and even from those whom they know in their personal lives. Coming to Sylvan offers a chance to be buillt up in order to feel better about the self, and as this occurs, so does confidence, which then empowers skill. – less
Fun work place
Teacher (Former Employee), PANovember 24, 2013
-Unfortunately they are closed now.
-Later nights during school year
-Great kids
-Hours varied
-PRN
-low pay
A productive and fun workplace
Tutor students (Current Employee), Huntington BeachNovember 16, 2013
I would tutor kids from grades Kindergarten thru 10th grade. I would tutor kids primarily in math and reading.
Good experience
Instructor (Former Employee), Round Rock, TXNovember 16, 2013
Pros: good support from management and working with students
Cons: pay, lack of hours to work, lack of opportunity
I was able to grow in my teaching with students in this position. I learned additional skills like running records, maintaining interaction with my students, and building a relationship with staff and students alike.
Sylvan Learning Center
Teacher (Former Employee), San Jose, CAOctober 23, 2013
Pros: i meet hundreds of great students.
Cons: very short time with the students.
I started work at the end of a schoold day.
I learned about the educational needs of hundreds of students.
I appreciated the organization and scheduling of the management.
All of my co-workers were very talented people.
The hardest part of the work is the limited time teaching.
The most enjoyable part of the job was the "teaching moments".
Fun place to work
Tutor (Former Employee), Ladson, SCOctober 18, 2013
Getting to work with children is the best part of this job. Also, there is a great satisfaction when students understand and do good at school.
Great people
Consultant (Former Employee), BaltimoreOctober 15, 2013
Pros: baseball games, chili cookoff, summer hours, casual dress
Cons: not much promotion from within, good ole boys gang at times
I was with the company for 11 years. Met my closest friends from Sylvan. The people have big hearts and are passionate about what they are doing..helping student become successful in school and in life. Executive team needs to stop letting go of the good ones. The hardest part of my job was the travel. Because I am single, I was all over North America – more... and I feel I was taken advantage of. Other than that, I loved being part of this organization. – less
Rewarding work improving the lives of student and parents.
Instructor (Current Employee), Bel Air, MDOctober 12, 2013
Pros: i get to work with great people!
Cons: very few hours and benefits.
This job is good for anyone who does not need financial security. It is definitely part-time, with little room for advancement. However, it is great for someone who is retired, has a spouse with full time work and benefits, or otherwise financially secure.
Productive.
Tutor (Current Employee), Dorset Street,South Burlington, VTOctober 9, 2013
Pros: great work environment.
Cons: it's only part time.
I enjoy working with students who are at Sylvan to learn. This makes my job easy it's more enjoyable for the students.
Great work environment
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee), Albuquerque, NMOctober 8, 2013
Pros: great environment
Cons: low pay and hours
This was my favorite job. The teachers are great, helping kids was fun, putting their books together was mentally challenging so it made the day go by fast. It was just a great place to work.
A great place to work
Instructor/ Evening (Former Employee), St. Louis, MOSeptember 30, 2013
Pros: productive and organized work environment
A very professional and rewarding place to work. I enjoyed the employees and the mangers
tutor
Math Tutor (Former Employee), Savannah, GASeptember 9, 2013
Pros: the children
Cons: little room for advancement at this location
Get the list of students and the time slots they will be present.
Gather materials for each lesson.
supposed to be no more than 3 students at a time but I did have more than that.
Co-workers are generally friendly
No raises after a couple of years and no chance at advancement
Nothing but good
Receptionist (Former Employee), Kent, WASeptember 5, 2013
Pros: fun, new experience
I was working this job after school and it got hard to do juggling both things. I had fun watching the teachers help those kids, making me wish i had one when i was there age. I got to give the kids toy's for completing they're goals. it was a fun job.
A wonderful place to work with a great staff.
Education /Operations Director (Current Employee), Lillington, NCAugust 27, 2013
Pros: flexible hours, great staff, and wonderful parents and students.
Cons: low pay.
Sylvan provides a great service to parents and their children. It was very rewarding to be part of the staff that helped with academic success and built confidence in students. I enjoyed being a tutor, giving assessments as well as being part of management. I regularly met with parents to discuss the progress of their child. The hardest part of the – more... job was after testing, and determining the length of instruction, parents could not afford it. – less
Teacher
Academic Writing Instructor (Current Employee), CalgaryAugust 14, 2013
Excellent place to work and gain experience, love my job

typical day at work
•what you learned
•management
•your co-workers
•the hardest part of the job
•the most enjoyable part
Great place to work.
Bookkeeper (Former Employee), Wakefield, RIAugust 12, 2013
This is a great company. I really love the fact the make a difference in the lives of young people and point them in the right direction.
Sylvan
Program Director (Former Employee), Roanoke Rapids, NCAugust 10, 2013
Sylvan is a wonderful company geared to offering their students the very highest quality instruction. Students succeed with Sylvan - bottom line.
I was very proud to work with and be associated with Sylvan. It is important to keep in mind that every Sylvan is individually owned and operated. Therefore, an employees experiences with Sylvan will depend – more... greatly on that specific owner and their management style. I personally worked under 2 different owners during my years at Sylvan. I was ultimately happy with both.
My specific job was brought to an end when federal and state laws were changed in 2012 and that was beyond anyone's control. Other than that, I absolutely had job security. Regarding Advancement, I was offered and ownership opportunity by both owners so I could have advanced if I had chosen to. Compensation was generous, as profits allowed, but because they are franchised, they are owned and run by everyday people and benefits are very difficult for small businesses.
I would highly recommend Sylvan to anyone with a heart for true education and for serving the families in their community. – less
Great experice you learn so much
PT Teacher Reading Comprehension (Former Employee), Brooklyn, NYAugust 8, 2013
Pros: relaxed atmosphere
I loved working with the kids and parents, I knew from working here that I was able to maintain an office and handle major issues independently. I learned so much!

About Sylvan Learning Center

For Educate, the name says it all. Its portfolio of companies features Sylvan Learning Center, which offers tutoring to students – Read more

Sylvan Learning Center Photos