Sylvan Learning Center Employee Reviews

Great opportunity for a flexible part-time workplace
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Fair Lawn, NJJune 6, 2017
Great part-time job, easy place for a teacher to pick up extra hours. No requirement to prep materials and good hourly rate. Balancing multiple students can be challenging at first and the schedule can fluctuate on short notice.
Pros
Flexible hours, very friendly
Cons
limited opportunities for advancement, inconsistent schedule
Enjoyable experience working with students and teachers
Student Aide (Former Employee) –  Highlands Ranch, COJune 1, 2017
I enjoyed working here. I was an aide so my duties were answering phones and helping teachers. I recommend it. It's a great place to gain teaching experience and to work with students.
Pros
Student and teacher interaction
Cons
Not consistent hours
acheiments for students limited
Tracked all inmateSales & Test Administrator (Former Employee) –  Centennial, COMay 31, 2017
I did sales and test management for Sylvan Learning Center. Always pressured to meet and exceed goals. Convincing parents that this was their right choice of action to help their student. The results varied and felt more could have been done for supplies and earnings and compensation for employees and teachers.
Pros
results seen in students
Cons
hard selling to parents with little omney to expend for their child
Sylvan Learning Center is perfect for educators looking for part time employment.
Teacher (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOMay 30, 2017
Sylvan Learning Center engages students through data prescribed,technology based interactive focus skill lessons as well as other learning tools within a 60 minute session. No lesson planning is required, however session prep is necessary. The curriculum provides explicit direct instruction covering prescribed focus skills. Best learning practices are embedded in the student lessons and online employee training. However, the training platform is not always fully functional from a remote location. Center management also follows best business practices, however, it seems corporate communication sometimes lacks continuity. The most rewarding part of this job is watching students achieve skill mastery without compromise.
Pros
small group instruction, students master skills, no lesson planning
Cons
Online training platform for employees.
Enjoyed working one-on-one with students
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Melbourne, FLMay 30, 2017
I enjoyed being able to work one-on-one or in small groups with students. Each student had their own curriculum based on their strengths and weaknesses.
Pros
one-on-one or small group work with students
Cons
evening and weekend hours
Great Experience
Inclusion Tutor (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXMay 30, 2017
Working at Sylvan is a great out of college job and a great way to get your foot into a teaching career. Decent pay, solid vision and leadership. Overall it was a great experience.
Fun Learning Place For all ages
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Florissant, MOMay 28, 2017
the hardest part of the job is trying to keep students engaged especially during the summer
the most enjoyable part is watching these students grow academically
Pros
high starting pay
Cons
few hours, and set hours that may conflict with schedule if not aware
Life-Work Balance
Director Sales and Marketing (Current Employee) –  Chesapeake, VAMay 27, 2017
Due to extended evening and weekend hours Life/Work balance can be difficult. The most enjoyable part of the job is seeing the children's academic growth..the program does work if parents stick with it. The hardest part of my job is that Sylvan is expensive and many hard working parent cant afford it.
Teacher/tutor at Sylvan
Tutor/Teacher (Former Employee) –  Wales, WIMay 23, 2017
This was a good job for a teacher. I taught beginning reading, math, reading, writing, and study skills. Students would work on lessons while I helped them develop educational concepts. This job was enjoyable and helped me earn a little extra money.
Pros
Using my teaching skills in a productive way
Cons
can't think of any
Great Work Environment
TUTOR (Former Employee) –  Cary, NCMay 21, 2017
Great work environment and the flow of work is comfortable. Students are generally friendly and receptive to help. Management is kind and skilled. The teaching staff is friendly and competent.
Very professional and helpful organization
Instructor/Tutor (Current Employee) –  Northridge, CAMay 17, 2017
• Provide administrative support including accurate data entry and file management.
• Explain problem-solving strategies in easy to follow steps to build critical thinking skills.
• Provide instruction and support, resulting in better understanding.
• Manage program information, record, and enter data.
I worked there for fours years
CERTIFIED READING AND WRITING TEACHER (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVMay 15, 2017
Greeting parents and children. Language Arts , Writing and Physical Education. I learned that it should always be about the student and not me. I recently managed 18 pre k students , full time for 8 months. I did enjoy the private school setting and the religion offered . The experience was full and I miss those students.
Must be an but kisser
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Kingsport, TNMay 14, 2017
must kiss butt to get anywhere in company and all about whom your friends are there and how well you get along with them. got passed up twice for a position that i was qualified for
Pros
the kid to teacher ratio
Cons
management and staff
sylvan
Instructor (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALMay 11, 2017
I worked at Sylvan for several years. I taught math from the kindergarten level to the collegiate level. I worked few hours here because it was a second job.
a great place to work
Administrative Assistant to Manager / Tutor (Former Employee) –  Davenport, IAMay 10, 2017
Sylvan Learning was a great place to work. The director of education was very helpful and supportive. The lessons were excellent and easy to teach. The students were interested in learning and were well-behaved. I enjoyed working there.
Focused, high energy, innovator, self started open to new learning.
Twin Cities, Director of Community Partnerships (Current Employee) –  Metro area of Minneapolis - St. Paul MNMay 3, 2017
This position was timely and excellent for my skill set. I was able to use my expertise and energy to launch new arenas of sales for Sylan.
I value their continued efforts to train their employees in new sales and marketing techniques. Whie working in the metro area of Minneapolis-St. Paul MN I encounter a professional sales force and clients in the worlds of business and education.
Really the hardest part of the job was driving in winter.
I enjoyed learning new technology and expanding my knowledge of marrying education and business.
Pros
Perfect for my work and professional needs at the time.
Cons
Job security was in question due to
Fun Workplace
Educational Sales Consultant, Elkridge, MD (Former Employee) –  MarylandMay 1, 2017
A great environment to work in. The job taught you patience and understanding of educational difficulties with children and adults; also the assessment skills to make accurate determination to assist their educational needs.
Pros
Bonus'
Cons
short lunch breaks
Sylvan Learning Center (Guam)
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Maimai, GUMay 1, 2017
If your child is falling behind in school or needs an extra dose of practice in any core subject ... Sylvan is the place for them. Check out Sylvan with their certified teachers and friendly staff to get your educational needs met.
Exciting and fulfilling
Lead Teacher (Current Employee) –  Papillion, NEApril 27, 2017
In this area you are given a chance to work with students with different styles and help make a difference in their educational lives. You are paid hourly with few options for raise in pay. Management and other staff are friendly and make working enjoyable. No benefits or compensation.
Pros
Work experience
Cons
Short breaks, no benefits
Rewarding Job but limited on career opportunities
Director (Current Employee) –  TexasApril 27, 2017
-Typical work day varies at all location, 8am-6pm or 11-9 some weekends
-Management needs improvement
-Friendly work environment
-Demanding job that gives little time for life outside of Sylvan
-Hard to move up with company, not many career opportunities given.
-bonus structures need improvement, either 100% or nothing
Pros
Friendly work environment
Cons
Salary low

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sylvan Learning Center. Our community is ready to answer.