Sylvan Learning Center Employee Reviews

Great franchise owners
Teacher (Former Employee) –  McKinney, TXMarch 9, 2016
Sylvan was an amazing job for teachers in between locations and just in general to help out. I enjoyed everything about this job and was very rewarding.
I loved Sylvan!!!
Center Assistant (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLMarch 7, 2016
I absolutely love children, to be able to work with them and watch them thrive in an environment like sylvan was a pleasure! The environment was relaxed, professional and kind. There was never any drama or even the slightest bit of tension among any of the employees. I'm really sorry that the school district cut funding for that particular program. I loved being there.
Pros
amazing overall
Cons
minimum wage
Focused on Helping Kids and Families
Marketing Director (Current Employee) –  Sioux Falls, SDMarch 6, 2016
Sylvan Learning's employees are passionate about helping children achieve their fullest academic potential with independence and confidence.
A place where you are always improving
Math tutor (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAFebruary 25, 2016
This place has a way of correcting your mistakes each and every session. You always know where you stand and what you can do better. The staff knows their material and tries to communicate that to the children who enter the facility.
Difficult, but fun and rewarding
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXFebruary 18, 2016
There's an upper level to the amount of organization you can get, since every school has different rules about what they want from tutors. You should also expect to work primarily with high-risk students. However, a lot of them are very earnest and hardworking - they just struggle due to either difficult home situations or learning English.

My coworkers were always fun and energetic, as were both my manager and the owner. Everyone was more than willing to pitch in to help with difficult students or overpopulated classes. The only difficulties were with the contacts in the schools themselves. The contacts often did not have a good idea of what they wanted us to do, or would constantly reorganize the classes unnecessarily.
Pros
Helping students, good coworkers and management, school holidays
Cons
Early start times, seasonal with school year, difficult clients
Very gratifying work with children that want to learn.
Regional Director of Sales and Community Outreach (Former Employee) –  GeorgiaFebruary 18, 2016
Every day was different in that I traveled store to store so the geography and personnel was always changing. The mornings were typical of most sales organizations. Early work is for prospecting and organization for enrollment meetings and testing of children. The afternoons are mostly meetings and meet the parents at pick up/dropoff. Overall, I loved the job and was fulfilled emotionally. Pay was not great and owner was always raising sales goals to keep from having to pay bonus $$.
Pros
Rewarding to see it in action
Cons
Bait and switch owner
Technology-based learning
Tutor (Current Employee) –  Twinsburg, OHFebruary 16, 2016
Great way to assist students with building confidence in certain subject matters. I like that students are taught skills to empower his/her learning. The hour instruction is set up to assist students with organization, reflecting on what they have learned as well as actively participate in the learning environment.
Pros
1:3 ratio; lessons provided; iPads
Cons
only part-time
Great working with all grade levels
Instructor (Former Employee) –  Port Saint Lucie, FLFebruary 7, 2016
Great working with all different grade levels...Even though I was there for a short time, I enjoyed working with staff and administration. They were all for the students' success. No complaints....
Wonderful learning environment.
Teaching Assistant/Tutor (Former Employee) –  Corona, CAJanuary 31, 2016
Students come in and sit down for an hour and can either do homework or lessons. Environment is quiet, but the kids do get a five minute break to relax. I loved helping with AP Calculus because most of the teachers were unfamiliar with the new material.
Pros
Relaxing and school-like environment.
Cons
not enough work
Enjoyable work environment
Tutor (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJanuary 22, 2016
Each class is set up for about 8-9 kids. They are placed into groups depending on their skill level. There is a scripted curriculum each teacher is given to ensure all students are being taught the same material. Co workers are very friendly and helpful. The hardest part of the job is maintaining focus of the children. They are coming from school, so it is difficult to keep their attention when they want to be playing. The most enjoyable part is seeing the children learn and enjoy what is being taught.
Pros
free snacks
Cons
small amount of hours
Caring employees
center director (Current Employee) –  Westmont, ILJanuary 14, 2016
The centers in the Chicago and west suburban areas are great. The teachers are well trained and present a caring, challenging atmosphere. The co-workers are dedicated and organized. The most enjoyable part of the job is witnessing the positive reaction of the students.
Pros
Professionalism
Not public information
Center Director (Current Employee) –  Killeen, TXJanuary 5, 2016
I do not wish to disclose anything. They are a great and fabulous place. They truly love children and want to help everyone.
I love working with the students and the bosses are wonderful!
Instructor, (Current Employee) –  Lincoln, NEJanuary 2, 2016
This has been my first job since I moved to Lincoln, NE 6 years ago. After not working in years, this job was like coming home.
Pros
.Everything I loved about teaching, but NO planning! Fantastic!
Cons
Now the minimum wage is 9 dollars an an hour, and I make 9 dollars an hour, hmm...not so sure about that.
Excellent place to obtain experience teaching.
Math and English Teacher for K-12 (Current Employee) –  Diamond Bar, CADecember 28, 2015
The supervisor is extremely friendly and approachable.
Love working with people who care about the students and co-workers are very friendly.
Sylvan
Director of Education (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MoDecember 14, 2015
you work almost 60 hours weekly and have to be available 24/7 because parents and teachers have questions constantly. You manage all employees and oversee all the children's learning plans. The most enjoyable part is working with the children and really seeing their improvement.
Did not fit with my career goals!
Math Tutor (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXDecember 6, 2015
Training is poor and not complete! The company does not take the time to train their employees in what they want them to do. the students are all different ages and need to be supervised by just one teacher. If the students were all the same ages and working on the same assignments, it would have been easier for everyone.
Fun place to work!!
Administrative Assistant/Teacher's Aide (Former Employee) –  Corona, CADecember 3, 2015
I enjoyed working here. I loved the staff and working with the teachers and children. It was very rewarding helping, talking with and making the kids smile.
Pros
Afternoon hours
Excellent Management
Office Manager/Diagnostician (Former Employee) –  District Heights, MDDecember 2, 2015
A typical day here consisted of planning assignments for afterschool tutoring. Processing student tests, test assessments, helping parents pick out a learning plan geared towards their child's specific needs.
Pros
Wonderful working enviornment
Cons
It closed.
Laid back but professional work environment
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Glendora, CANovember 23, 2015
A place where you come in and work for a few hours and then leave. Almost no interactions with other co-workers or bosses. Schedule is tight when it comes to working with the students. Not a hard job to do, but can get repetitive over time. Fun job to have on the side, not something to look for long term.
Pros
No pressure from superiors
Cons
no breaks, pay isn't that much
Great teaching experience
Reading literacy tutor (Current Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNNovember 13, 2015
This is a great place to get teaching experience. If you are flirting with the idea of possibly becoming an educator this is a great place for you to get some experience and see if it is a good match for you. Co-workers are friendly and are always there to help if you have questions and are open to learning from you as well. The hardest part of the job would be that the technology that is used has some bugs and the lesson plans are not the best. The best part of the job would be that you get to work with such a diverse group of kids and get to help them grow.
Pros
great opportunity, nice co-workers
Cons
new management

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sylvan Learning Center. Our community is ready to answer.

Sylvan Learning Center Reviews by Location