Sylvan Learning Center

Sylvan Learning Center Employer Reviews

A productive and fun workplace
Tutor students (Current Employee), Huntington BeachNovember 16, 2013
I would tutor kids from grades Kindergarten thru 10th grade. I would tutor kids primarily in math and reading.
Good experience
Instructor (Former Employee), Round Rock, TXNovember 16, 2013
Pros: good support from management and working with students
Cons: pay, lack of hours to work, lack of opportunity
I was able to grow in my teaching with students in this position. I learned additional skills like running records, maintaining interaction with my students, and building a relationship with staff and students alike.
Sylvan Learning Center
Teacher (Former Employee), San Jose, CAOctober 23, 2013
Pros: i meet hundreds of great students.
Cons: very short time with the students.
I started work at the end of a schoold day.
I learned about the educational needs of hundreds of students.
I appreciated the organization and scheduling of the management.
All of my co-workers were very talented people.
The hardest part of the work is the limited time teaching.
The most enjoyable part of the job was the "teaching moments".
Fun place to work
Tutor (Former Employee), Ladson, SCOctober 18, 2013
Getting to work with children is the best part of this job. Also, there is a great satisfaction when students understand and do good at school.
Great people
Consultant (Former Employee), BaltimoreOctober 15, 2013
Pros: baseball games, chili cookoff, summer hours, casual dress
Cons: not much promotion from within, good ole boys gang at times
I was with the company for 11 years. Met my closest friends from Sylvan. The people have big hearts and are passionate about what they are doing..helping student become successful in school and in life. Executive team needs to stop letting go of the good ones. The hardest part of my job was the travel. Because I am single, I was all over North America – more... and I feel I was taken advantage of. Other than that, I loved being part of this organization. – less
Rewarding work improving the lives of student and parents.
Instructor (Current Employee), Bel Air, MDOctober 12, 2013
Pros: i get to work with great people!
Cons: very few hours and benefits.
This job is good for anyone who does not need financial security. It is definitely part-time, with little room for advancement. However, it is great for someone who is retired, has a spouse with full time work and benefits, or otherwise financially secure.
Productive.
Tutor (Current Employee), Dorset Street,South Burlington, VTOctober 9, 2013
Pros: great work environment.
Cons: it's only part time.
I enjoy working with students who are at Sylvan to learn. This makes my job easy it's more enjoyable for the students.
Great work environment
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee), Albuquerque, NMOctober 8, 2013
Pros: great environment
Cons: low pay and hours
This was my favorite job. The teachers are great, helping kids was fun, putting their books together was mentally challenging so it made the day go by fast. It was just a great place to work.
A great place to work
Instructor/ Evening (Former Employee), St. Louis, MOSeptember 30, 2013
Pros: productive and organized work environment
A very professional and rewarding place to work. I enjoyed the employees and the mangers
tutor
Math Tutor (Former Employee), Savannah, GASeptember 9, 2013
Pros: the children
Cons: little room for advancement at this location
Get the list of students and the time slots they will be present.
Gather materials for each lesson.
supposed to be no more than 3 students at a time but I did have more than that.
Co-workers are generally friendly
No raises after a couple of years and no chance at advancement
Nothing but good
Receptionist (Former Employee), Kent, WASeptember 5, 2013
Pros: fun, new experience
I was working this job after school and it got hard to do juggling both things. I had fun watching the teachers help those kids, making me wish i had one when i was there age. I got to give the kids toy's for completing they're goals. it was a fun job.
A wonderful place to work with a great staff.
Education /Operations Director (Current Employee), Lillington, NCAugust 27, 2013
Pros: flexible hours, great staff, and wonderful parents and students.
Cons: low pay.
Sylvan provides a great service to parents and their children. It was very rewarding to be part of the staff that helped with academic success and built confidence in students. I enjoyed being a tutor, giving assessments as well as being part of management. I regularly met with parents to discuss the progress of their child. The hardest part of the – more... job was after testing, and determining the length of instruction, parents could not afford it. – less
Great place to work.
Bookkeeper (Former Employee), Wakefield, RIAugust 12, 2013
This is a great company. I really love the fact the make a difference in the lives of young people and point them in the right direction.
Sylvan
Program Director (Former Employee), Roanoke Rapids, NCAugust 10, 2013
Sylvan is a wonderful company geared to offering their students the very highest quality instruction. Students succeed with Sylvan - bottom line.
I was very proud to work with and be associated with Sylvan. It is important to keep in mind that every Sylvan is individually owned and operated. Therefore, an employees experiences with Sylvan will depend – more... greatly on that specific owner and their management style. I personally worked under 2 different owners during my years at Sylvan. I was ultimately happy with both.
My specific job was brought to an end when federal and state laws were changed in 2012 and that was beyond anyone's control. Other than that, I absolutely had job security. Regarding Advancement, I was offered and ownership opportunity by both owners so I could have advanced if I had chosen to. Compensation was generous, as profits allowed, but because they are franchised, they are owned and run by everyday people and benefits are very difficult for small businesses.
I would highly recommend Sylvan to anyone with a heart for true education and for serving the families in their community. – less
Great experice you learn so much
PT Teacher Reading Comprehension (Former Employee), Brooklyn, NYAugust 8, 2013
Pros: relaxed atmosphere
I loved working with the kids and parents, I knew from working here that I was able to maintain an office and handle major issues independently. I learned so much!
Love working with teachers and students
Teacher Assistant (Former Employee), Chicago, ILJuly 31, 2013
Pros: n/a
Cons: n/a
Getting to work getting the attendance together for snacks. I learned patience by working with the kids. I also took care of disciplinary actions.
Tutoring students
Tutor (Former Employee), Springfield, ILJuly 30, 2013
Pros: working with kids.
Cons: not sure the resources helped the kids very much.
Helping students in schools where NCLB stats were not met.
Students would stay after school two evenings a week and I would lead classes intended to help improve reading comprehension.
Need organization
Bilingual Receptionist (Former Employee), Gurnee, ILJuly 30, 2013
Pros: make own lunch schedule
Cons: not enought work
Needed organization in the office. Needed to give proper schedule as well as work for workers to do.
Flexible and Pleasent Environment
Instructor (Current Employee), Cupertino, CAJuly 26, 2013
The students and staff are a pleasure to work with. They strive for high standards and are always supportive to help staff meet those standards.
Good Experience
Admin/Teacher Assistant/Receptionist (Current Employee), Bronx, NYJuly 24, 2013
Pros: good enviroment
Cons: no benfits
Sylvan learning Center has increased my ability to speak with people and manage time. It also helped me get a better understanding of how the education system helps children in school.

About Sylvan Learning Center

For Educate, the name says it all. Its portfolio of companies¬†features Sylvan Learning Center, which¬†offers tutoring to students – Read more

Sylvan Learning Center Photos