Sylvan Learning Center

Sylvan Learning Center Employer Reviews

Scottsdale parents are a challenge to work with.
Office Manager (Current Employee), Scottsdale, AZMarch 12, 2014
Pros: ideal employer/boss
Cons: work hours are too late
The owner of the center is very considerate and a good friend. She is well liked and well known in the community for her business of 31 years. The center is a word of mouth business and consistently ranks among the highest earning learning centers nationwide. The downside is the work hours not so much because of its 56 hours work week but because of its 9:30 am to 9:00 pm schedule. Their is hardly any time left for a personal life with this schedule.
Nice place to work
Teacher (Former Employee), Wyomissing PAMarch 12, 2014
Small groups
Helped students with their reading and math skills
Students were well behaved and had a desire to get better
Excellent organization, planning, implementing, and support.
Elementary Teacher (Current Employee), Rochester, NYMarch 12, 2014
Pros: part time - monday to thursday after school.
Cons: no benefits
The students are the most enjoyable part of my job and Sylvan provides me the opportunity to be the best teacher I can be. I am teaching math and reading enrichment in an after school program run by Sylvan at Kodak Park School in Rochester for 1st and 2nd grade students. All the teachers and staff that I have interacted with are supportive and dedicated to helping the children succeed.
Typical clerical work
Part-time Teachers Assistant/Clerical (Former Employee), Lancaster, CAMarch 5, 2014
Typical clerical work, slow paced4. Got to work on my own and loved it
Okay place to work.I enjoy the kids and my coworkers.
Tutor (Former Employee), St. Louis, MOFebruary 28, 2014
Planned and implemented a new after school tutoring program. Established and conducted group individualized training designed to enhance the knowledge and ability of students to complete coursework.
Ehh...
Teachers' Aide (Former Employee), South Plainfield, NJFebruary 14, 2014
I worked as a teacher's aide for about a year I was about 14 years old. Basically I had to get prepare the student's binders, and get additional book for the teachers. Most of the teachers were friendly and some I stayed very faraway from. The management is horrible. They don't care about the students at all. They would treat the students nice in front of their parents, but once they were gone they weren't exactly the nicest. I wouldn't recommend working there if you are under 17.
Fun workplace
Full - Time Tutor (Current Employee), Austin, TXFebruary 13, 2014
Interesting individuals, easy to get along with. Students can be a handful.
great place
Teacher's Assistant (Former Employee), Oak Park, ILFebruary 7, 2014
i use to go for act prep and then they gave me a job because i did so well loved it
Fun and productive environment
Tutor (Current Employee), Macon, GAFebruary 6, 2014
Short hours but good work environment. Good staff members also. Best feeling is knowing that you are helping the students.
Sylvan
Center Instructor (Current Employee), Goodyear, AZJanuary 24, 2014
Pros: extra pay
Cons: only part-time
Sylvan is an amazing place for teachers to work part-time to supplement income. Working with such a small group of kids is very rewarding and it helps me remember why I became a teacher in the first place.
Great Place To Work
Assistant Director of Education (Former Employee), Effingham, ILJanuary 22, 2014
Tutoring students on a daily basis in a fast paced environment.
Great learning experience.
Contracted Site Coordinator (Current Employee), Decatur, ILJanuary 21, 2014
Pros: flexibility
Cons: lack of organization at times.
I supervised for a site which provided a grant funded after school program for high school students.
Director of Education at Sylvan Learning center
Director of Education (Former Employee), Sandusky, OHJanuary 20, 2014
Great job overall! I trained the teachers to follow the Sylvan University methods to teach the children in a 3 to 1 setting.
Productive and enjoyable workplace where teachers/students feel valued by management. Encouragement to succeed!
Teacher (Current Employee), Abilene, TXJanuary 16, 2014
Pros: occasional bonuses for a job well-done
Cons: no benefits since this is not really part time, less than 20 hour week
A starting teacher can expect to be scheduled two to three hours per night and two to three nights per week and possibly Saturday morning. Teachers and students do not attend on Fridays at all, unless special arrangements have been made by directors/parents. This is a nice job for supplemental pay that fits well with some full time jobs, such as in the teaching field. Management is very supportive and interested in your success as an employee, as well as fellow co-workers, we are all in this together to help each other and the students be their best. The hardest part of the job is juggling various assignments with two to three students simultaneously with possible interruptions (either electronically or physical involving materials and/or people) at any time. The most enjoyable part of the job is when a student reaches the "aha" moment in their success story. It is also enjoyable that all data is tracked on iPads by students and teachers throughout the lesson, which means less paperwork for the teachers and students, as well as the directors and parents.
Wonderful Students and Staff.
Director of Education (Current Employee), Evergreen Park, ILJanuary 11, 2014
I have been working for Sylvan for the past several years in various roles. I have learned a lot about myself in working with students, parents and other staff members.
Flexible
Teacher (Former Employee), Glen Burnie, MDJanuary 11, 2014
Flexible hours and days available for teachers to earn extra income.
Not just teaching
Mathematics Group Tutor (Former Employee), Bronx, NYJanuary 10, 2014
Pros: the occassional student eager to learn.
Cons: the usual students not wanting to be there.
Suitable for the classroom teacher, able to juggle babysitting with teaching. Must be somewhat of a disciplinarian in order to handle the attitudes of immature youth.
Fun and productive place to work at
Marketer / Teacher Assistant (Former Employee), Baltimore, MDDecember 29, 2013
Pros: helping kids
Cons: it wasnt none
I enjoyed helping the student learn . I also enjoyed handing out the information for people to know about the free tutoring that was going on .
Fun environment with flexible hours for a student
Teacher's Assistant (Former Employee), Waco, TXDecember 27, 2013
Pros: flexible work schedule, fun evironment
Cons: no scheduled lunch, little variety in work responsibilites
At the Sylvan in Waco, the Teacher's assistant wears many different hats. Your day could consist of proctoring and monitoring test takers, digitally fingerprinting people looking to get their CHL, medical license, nursing license, etc..., or preparing the tutoring area for the students who coming in the afternoon. The site director I worked for was amazing and is possibly the best manager for whom I have ever worked. The hardest part of the job depended on which area I worked in that day. In the testing center, the hardest part was the monotony of staring at test takers for hours at a time. Working in the fingerprint area, the hardest part was the schedule. Appointments were every ten minutes without a break scheduled. If there was something wrong with the equipment or the schedule, there was nothing the tech could do except call the parent company which could put you behind schedule upwards of an hour.
Awesome people, Fun environment
Teacher AIde (Former Employee), Chicago, ILDecember 26, 2013
Pros: boss was awesome
Cons: not enough need for my position
everything about this job was good other than the hours only reason i couldnt stay was due too not enough work time great experience to work here though

About Sylvan Learning Center

For Educate, the name says it all. Its portfolio of companies features Sylvan Learning Center, which offers tutoring to students – Read more

Sylvan Learning Center Photos