Sylvan Learning Center Employee Reviews

great place to work evening hours
Lead Teacher/ Tutor (Current Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAJune 25, 2016
the job is enjoyable, not enough hours, looking for daytime hours, tired of working evening hours, great staff, must be certified as teacher, then Sylvan certified
Pros
great management
Cons
evening hours, no room to advance
It is challenging to teach three students simultaneously at all levels.
Reading Teacher (Current Employee) –  Topeka, KSJune 24, 2016
I enjoy Sylvan because, although I have been teaching 25 years, I always learn something new every day. The amount of respect the teachers receive is substantial to the pay, however it is a joy to be teaching different children with different abilities at the same time and be successful.
Pros
Winter party
Sylvan Learning Center
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Fayetteville, NCJune 21, 2016
Great place to work as a part time job and help students who need additional support. The environment was not only friendly for tutors and students. The center itself was clean and very organized.
Pros
Very welcoming and understanding for any situation with tutors and students.
Cons
Actual work spaces were small for the building itself, they need a bigger building.
Rewarding
Director (Current Employee) –  IllinoisMay 31, 2016
Overall pretty good. Great to see kids succeed, and build relationships with families. Hours are different and not great if you have kids of your own. Depending on the owner, you might have a better experiences that another location
Pros
Rewarding
Cons
Inconvenient Hours
Very fun educating the leaders of tomorrow.
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLMay 24, 2016
A typical day at work includes assisting students with homework support. I've learned new teaching methods to adjust to the new school system. Management is very off hands but they're there when necessary. My colleagues are very helpful. The most difficult part of the job is juggling between three different students while working on three different subjects within one hour. The most enjoyable part of the job is seeing the students' happiness when they comprehend the material.
Awesome Culture
School Teaching Assistant - USA (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAMay 20, 2016
Good working environment. All colleagues are friendly and helpful.
Transparent management. Overall one of the best educational institutions in California.
Tutor
Director of Education (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMay 19, 2016
I started as a tutor then moved my way up to Director of Education. I still work with the student and now I also work with the parents. I also over see 10+ teachers.
Pros
being able to work with students and parents
After school tutoring program
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Hoover, ALMay 18, 2016
The program at Sylvan is beneficial to students looking for extra help. The teachers truly care about the students they are working with.
Very small work environment; friendly people
Certified Tutor (Former Employee) –  Jackson, MSMay 18, 2016
I enjoyed my time at Sylvan. The staff is so loving, and friendly. They are very much willing to work with you and your schedule. You pretty much set your own schedule. The pay could have been more for certified teachers, though.
A roller coaster of boredom and liveliness
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNMay 11, 2016
Now a typical day at this particular job is typically prepping resources and student folders that are needed for the day and pulling more resources if the quantity and scheduled time allowed. Most times I'm usually on standby until a teacher calls me to pull a specific book or other resource for the student if they notice that the student has already completed the material. Now on the last fifteen minutes is when things get rather interesting, because during this time I would get a chance to become more interactive with the students before the period ends.
During this experience, I've learned multiple time management skills and even some documenting skills as well.
The management was a complete pain in the neck sometimes, but other times they've been tolerable.
My co-workers are not usually available after my first week on the job, so I would have to rely on my interaction with my superiors. My superiors were sometimes strict in the type of material, and some got offended when I accidentally messed up their names. However they were rather fun to work with during the typical shift.
The hardest part of that job was pulling the needed resources and returning them back to their original location. I would get confused when performing these tasks sometimes.
The most enjoyable part was when I played games with the students before the hour was over. We would tend to play games like "Blurt" in order to pass the time before the shift was over.
That's my experience with this job in a nutshell.
Pros
Computer Access, Interactions with students and teachers
Cons
Lack of Benefits such as dental insurance and medical insurance as well as low pay
Fun
Language Arts and Math Tutor (Current Employee) –  Lafayette, INMay 8, 2016
Great place!
Easy to get along with other co-tutors.
Descent pay.
Fun place to have kids learn.
Easy to facilitate students that are on the iPads.
Rewarding Work but low pay and long hours
Unspecified (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAMay 7, 2016
The business model is designed for the Franchisee to run the business unfortunately if the franchisee hires you to run the business there is not enough left in the business plan to pay both of you what you need so the employee gets a low wage. The only way I would work at a Sylvan again would be as the owner/operator.
Pros
Working with the teachers, the kids and the families
Cons
low pay, long hours
only 2 hours a week
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Lillington, NCMay 5, 2016
only 2 hours a week, who can live on 2 hours a week. glad this place shut done within a year of me quitting. kids were horrible and ran the place.
Pros
no place for advacment
Cons
10 dollars per hour
Great Company
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Greenville, NCMay 4, 2016
Great staff. They really care about the student they serve and are dedicated to their learning. The management is awesome and the morale is great.
Flexible with students.
Teacher (Current Employee) –  McAllen, TXApril 16, 2016
Fun job. I really got to learn a lot as teacher. Very fun environment if you like to teach technology based material. I love the fact that they are trying to push engineering in the area I live in.
fun productive work enviornment
Director of Education (Former Employee) –  Huntsville, ALApril 14, 2016
I enjoyed working at Sylvan. The work environment was very fun but also productive.The employees main priority was the academic advancement of this students.
Pressure, hyper controlled lessons, sneaky deceptive treatment of workers
Tutor students (Former Employee) –  Henderson, NvApril 13, 2016
I worked for Sylvan for almost 10 years.
By all accounts, I was one of their best instructors.
We had to regularly pass confusing computer classes- constantly jumping through hoops to keep our miserable part-time jobs.
Our pay was mediocre, our benefits didn't exist, and our hours weren't much.
I was fired for refusing to teach Common Core lessons.
Nichole-the asst. Director_ reported me to Corporate for something she heard
me say to a fellow employee. Treacherous, sneaky, and awful lady.
It broke my heart to !eave Sylvan. I tried so hard to do my best, and the parents, students, and staff loved me.
I just didn't kiss the ring of the administration, and that's why they let me go. Awful place. Demeaning .
Pros
Computerized lessons, well organized and good materials
Cons
Pay, hours, stress and negative atmosphere if you are not absolutely compliant
Great place to work and be creative
Math and Reading Teacher (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKApril 6, 2016
I enjoy working at Sylvan and helping students to learn and unlock potential. In the nearly 5 years I have worked at Sylvan, I have seen the center transform and progress with the learning styles of children. We now use ipads for nearly all instruction and the curriculum is a touch away for the students. It monitors their progress and provides assessment while also allowing the teacher to select lessons according to the students' needs. We also provide homework support and ACT prep. I love working at Sylvan because I feel we are addressing important skills that students need.
Pros
one-on-one instruction
Cons
only part-time
Professional environment and a great team.
Center Instructor (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAMarch 22, 2016
Typically they would allow you to pick your suitable time slots and on weekly bases they would update you on what times you have students to teach. When you come in to teach they provide you with all the teaching supplies that you need including sometimes an iPad with there main Syslvan sync app for teaching your students, the maximum number of students you would teach goes up to three students at a time, for 45 minutes and 15 minutes of transition time during that you are also responsible for updating your students education log/notes and there earned tokens for use in the Sylvan store till the end of transition time.

We also have monthly meeting going over general concerns of the education system and highlights of our student's progresses, we also do recognize our outstand students and instructors during that time.

it is very flexible job but very high concentration demanding to keep your students in check. I would recommend this job for anyone who like to work with kids as long as you can hand them.
Pros
Flexible
Great boss and environment
Director of Education (Former Employee) –  Eagan, MNMarch 20, 2016
Owner was student-focused and believed that the bottom line would be met if families were treated right. Environment was supportive, positive, and high energy.
Pros
environment
Cons
pay

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sylvan Learning Center. Our community is ready to answer.