Sylvan Learning Center

Sylvan Learning Center Employee Reviews

Honesty and Training
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Kirby, TXAugust 1, 2015
A typical day at work was okay. We as teachers spoke to each other prior to scheduled assignments. We prepare for the students we are teaching and tutoring.

I learned that you must cover yourself and document your day, everyday. Depending on the Management, you may not be able to trust their words or any documents they supply about you.

Co-workers were great. Easy to work with, and helpful to assist you which benefited the student's and the employer.

The hardest part of the job is not obtaining the necessary training or feedback to best improve your skills.

The most enjoyable part of working are the kids. Watching you make a connection with them and watching thyem feel great when they accomplish something new.
Pros
Helping Children with Academics
Cons
Great to help kids, but nothing else good about it
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Montgomery, ALJuly 28, 2015
Tutoring kids is very rewarding, but that was the only positive about this place for me. The owners were mostly interested in their profits, and employees' pay suffered as a result... to the point where they refused to discipline children for fear they may leave and not pay anymore.
Pros
Rewarding to teach
Cons
Everything else you can think of
Great place to tutor for. Co-workers are wonderful.
Tutor (Current Employee) –  Northridge, CAJuly 23, 2015
Having tutored at Sylvan for 6 years, it is a wonderful place to work. My co-workers are supportive and helpful. Administration is always ready to jump in and help out.
Pros
Great co-workers
Cons
A great place to apply my skillset in administration.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Fort Walton Beach, FLJuly 20, 2015
I was responsible for all phone lines, answering calls and setting appointments. Also, responsible for all accounts receivable/payable for the company. A great place to apply my new skillset in administration.
An enjoyable place to work with a variety of tasks and opportunities to see growth in our students.
Center Director (Former Employee) –  Anderson, OH Eastgate, OHJuly 19, 2015
A typical day at work could involve many things: testing a student, conferencing with parents, scheduling teachers and students, instructing, managing budget issues and sales. I learned a lot about managing a business since I was typically the only full-time employee responsible for both the educational and business components of each location. Middle management was great. She was always approachable and we had a good rapport. I had a good relationship with my co-workers and we often communicated regarding best practices and suggestions. The hardest part of my job was meeting families whose child really needed help yet they could not afford the tuition despite our multiple options. The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing students grow in academic skills and confidence and receiving positive feedback from the parents.
It's okay
Instructor (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 16, 2015
It's okay. No healthcare, no security, no benefits. this job is more for college students. the job was diversify and working with high school students
Pros
nice breaks
Cons
no healthvare
Hectic workplace but great kids
Sylvan Trained Tutor (Former Employee) –  Portage, MIJuly 15, 2015
Was a frustrating place to work, I felt the tutors were underpaid and organizational priorities were out of order. I did enjoy working with the students there
Great and energetic environment to work in.
Educational Consultant (Current Employee) –  McAllen, TXJuly 13, 2015
Opened the business at 8 a.m and made sure all was ready for the first class at 8:30. Replied to all e-mail inquires and calls. Learned a little more about designing monthly e-mail blast.
The hardest but also great part of the job was its fast paced energy along with must multi-tasking skills to run the job effectively. The most enjoyable part of the job was all the summer campaigns for monthly educational camps held at the business.
great to work for a franchise owner and make a difference in young peoples' lives
Education Admissions Counselor/Administration (Former Employee) –  Danville, KYJuly 11, 2015
Reporting to the franchise owner, served as focal point for all inquires with client base.Conducted testing of students.Recruited and hired teachers on an on-contract basis.Discussed and recommended all financing options with parents. Coordinated all monthly billings and collections
Pros
working with students
Not Managed the Best
Director of Sylvan Learning Center (Former Employee) –  Rocky MountJuly 10, 2015
It was great working with kids of all ages and help them with their struggles in math and reading.. But the Management needed a little updated.
Pros
Great experience with Kids of all ages
Cons
Management was not very helpful
Fun and positive place to work
Lead Teacher/ Interventionist (Former Employee) –  Chisago City, MNJuly 10, 2015
Co- workers worked as a team and students could see we really cared about their success. Parents could see the improvement in how their student viewed homework as a positive instead of a negative.
Pros
Free coffee, chance to grow in the company
Cons
Company closed where I live
Great program for childrten
Assistant Director (Former Employee) –  Rome, GAJuly 10, 2015
Sylvan learning center provides a great, individualized program for students who are struggling with school and even those who need to be more challenged.
A typical work day for me would consist of standardized testing for students upon starting their program. I would compile lesson plans based on their test scores, prepare materials (books and manipulatives), and occasionally teach lesson plans. I also managed from 15-20 employees including scheduling and payroll.
The best part of my job was watching children gain confidence and knowledge to become successful at school and in life. The hardest part was working with children with special needs. These children would still benefit from the program, but sometimes the pace was not as great.
Pros
Helping children
Cons
Late work hours
ACT Tutor (Current Employee) –  Algonquin, ILJuly 3, 2015
Great bosses, work well with schedules and are very personable when they talk to you. Very professional in educational approach. Put students first!
Horrible Job
Runner for the instructors (Former Employee) –  Fayetteville, GaJune 26, 2015
You work very short hours to do whatever the instructors tell you. Horrible pay..However, the teachers and the directors are very nice people.
great teaching staff
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Queens, NYJune 22, 2015
i truly believe this program works, it is expensive, but with its guarantee, if you can do it, i would suggest doing it. they updated their resources which is a plus
Effiecient computer and hands-on training.
Trained Student Tutor (Former Employee) –  High Point, NCJune 21, 2015
It was a pleasure to be trained by assisting director and fellow coworkers. Management allowed creative tutoring and schedule adjustments.
Director of Education
Director of Education (Former Employee) –  Kirkland, WashingtonJune 20, 2015
I worked with Center Directors to build educational programs for youth. I was a teacher, tester and overall administrator for the program.
I loved the people I worked with and the children were wonderful.
The most enjoyable part of this job was working with the Children and Families.
Pros
Children, Education, families and good staff
Cons
Low pay and not a lot of room for growth
Great Place
Math/Reading Tutor (Current Employee) –  Zephyrhills, FLJune 19, 2015
I love working for Sylvan Learning Center, It is great place to work with wonderful people. The hours are flexible and work with my full time job that I work, Just a great place.
Pros
Flexible Hours
3-1 students ratio
Teacher Student Ratio (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJune 17, 2015
handling difficult student set expectational teaching different method.
see when students learn understand the subject .
Fun place to work
Mathematics Teacher (Former Employee) –  Lynnwood, WAJune 17, 2015
This is a great place to work if you are a stay at home dad or mom. I worked there part-time as a mathematics teacher. They don't give very many hours though.

Sylvan Learning Center Reviews by Location