Symantec Employee Reviews

Sometimes it was a good place to work
NOC Engineer (Former Employee) –  Mountain View, CA 94043November 17, 2017
The people are awesome, the work is challenging.. the management is very confused about where technology is going and how to address it for the future of Symantec.. making it a very confusing place to work.. many people just couldn't take it and resigned..
Pros
Good work life balance
Cons
Overload with work due to people leaving
Average big corp support box
Senior Technical Support Engineer (Former Employee) –  Springfield, ORNovember 13, 2017
Big Yellow box of support for numerous products. Learn a ton, had some fun, enjoyed the work but was plagued by an incredibly poor manager. Onward to the next job.
Outsourced to death
Security Analyst (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, VANovember 10, 2017
The culture and close-knit work environment was destroyed by greed and the outsourcing of the SOC.
I would not recommend anyone planning a career there. A stepping stone maybe but...
Fast spaced work load
Capstone Project Software Engineer Intern (Current Employee) –  East Lansing, MINovember 10, 2017
The work load is pretty overwhelming and fast spaced.We mainly working on transmitting SOAP API to REST API, meanwhile, keep some original features. We use 11 APIs.
It was great until the layoffs started
Advanced Technical Support Engineer/Training (Former Employee) –  Eugene, OregonNovember 6, 2017
After a series of bad software releases, the board members became unhappy and fired the CEO. Then they wanted to outsource all support to India and proceeded to layoff all support personnel in Eugene.
Pros
onsite cafeteria
Cons
It's a shame about the company direction now.
A lot of changes
Latin America Buyer (Former Employee) –  Lake Mary, FLNovember 2, 2017
Company in transition - going through lot of changes. Frequent changes at the leadership level. Continuous changes to the company direction - acquisitions and divestitures
Grinding
Global Director of Endpoint Virtualization (Former Employee) –  Mountain View, CANovember 1, 2017
Big software company where employees had little passion or enthusiasm. Good products and savvy management which was trying but unsuccessful in creating a more positive and fun culture. Its been a few years so perhaps its gotten better.
Pros
Advancement and stability
Cons
No fun
Excellent Company with excellent people
Principal Software Engineer (Current Employee) –  Mountain View, CAOctober 31, 2017
Superb place to work for. You learn a lot about security’ and focus on most important aspect of your job. No micro management and very collaborative colleagues
Not Interested
Director, Enterprise Support Services (Former Employee) –  Heathrow, FLOctober 31, 2017
Not Interested in writing a review, as the manager was very narrow minded and biased in building his crew from his previous company and promoting them.
Pros
Not Interested
Cons
Not Interested
contract worker supporting IT
Imaging and support Technician (Former Employee) –  CaliforniaOctober 29, 2017
I started and ended the day with a commute I really didn't like. It has nothing to do with the company but it set a feeling for the workday. It was very busy helping clients with their laptop problems, we always seem to have needed more people staffing our help center, but never got them (as long as I was there). I had duties I felt I wasn't really hired for but got stuck with. And I had a manager that loved to micro manage all aspects of his department and my work day; IE when to go to lunch, which clients to do first, weekly inventories, using a red pen on paperwork,etc. I felt this created a hostile work environment. I was actually glad when my contract ended.
Pros
a weekly paycheck
Cons
couldn't say anything about the manager's performance for fear of losing the job.
Quick Paced Work Enviornment
Software Development Intern (Former Employee) –  Boxborough, MAOctober 27, 2017
Symantec is a challenging work enviornment. As an intern, I was given real projects and expected to meet deadlines. I really felt like I was a part of the team, and contributing to the product.
Symantec was a good place to work
Norton Executive Escalations Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Springfield, OROctober 26, 2017
I enjoyed working at Symantec and did not intend to leave. Dealing with our customers was a rewarding but sometime frustrating experience. I would recmond them to someone looking for a job.
in transition
Technical Account Manager (Current Employee) –  Springfield, OROctober 25, 2017
Symantec is in transition. It's hard to say what the culture will ultimately be like after the transition is completed. It's been a constant change culture over the last 3 years and doesn't seem to be slowing down anytime soon.
A good company that is leaving the area
Senior Technical Support Engineer (Current Employee) –  Springfield, OROctober 24, 2017
Symantec has generally been a good company and a good place to work.
It does not have loyalty to the cities and towns where it is located and will move for any business reasons.
Great work environment, but little job security
Senior Buyer (Former Employee) –  Heathrow, FLOctober 20, 2017
Management by the latest fad meant that you could not feel secure, otherwise it is a fun place to work with good pay and benefits. Sadly there is a sense of a company being on the down side of its growth cycle.
Pros
Great people and work environment
Cons
Management by latest fad
Not bad to work at
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  CaliforniaOctober 19, 2017
Nice culture. Good facilities, Feels like the company cares for its employees. Management was consistent and caring. There was good work/ life balance.
Pros
nice campus
Slow Moving, Poor Management
Principal Trade Compliance Analyst (Former Employee) –  Mountain View, CAOctober 13, 2017
There were 3 CEOs in a 5 year period when i was there
Not open to new ideas or change
Management 'good ole boy' mentality
No co-worker commeradery
required to 'report in' on every action
Great place to work!
Corporate/Technical Recruiter (Former Employee) –  Culver City, CAOctober 12, 2017
Excellent place to work. The management was supportive, along the team. Working with the hiring managers was a pleasure, made many placements, fast paced environment. Ideal working environment!
Pros
People, location, production
Cons
That it was not a full-time position, I was a contractor.
Symantec was a great place to start
Security Engineer Intern (Former Employee) –  Herndon, VAOctober 11, 2017
Symantec was a great initial place to start a career. They have some really great employees and their MSS division is top notch. The culture in the MSS division is less about micro managing you and more about you figuring out the best way to get your work done.

I will say that upper management can be hassle as they often refuse to hire individuals to meet the demand of the growing business.
Pros
Always something free, great work life balance
Fast paced, with exciting technology
Technical Infrastructure Analyst (Current Employee) –  Springfield, OROctober 7, 2017
The most enjoyable experiences with Symantec is the exciting projects and people who work on them. Professional technical training isn't abundant but if you can balance the fast paced project progression, heavy workload and have the ability to learn on the fly you'll enjoy working within Symantec. I did!

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Symantec. Our community is ready to answer.