Symantec Employee Reviews

Unstable company
Compliance Staff (Former Employee) –  Mountain View, CAJanuary 18, 2017
I would not recommend working at Symantec, due to constant lay off announcements. It created fear and too much uncertainties.
The only thing constant about Symantec is change
L2 escalation technician/ trainer/ QA (Former Employee) –  Springfield, ORJanuary 13, 2017
Overall, it is a good place to work. Benefits are good, Hours are good. I learned that no particular specific occupation has any kind of assured continuity or longevity. New CEOs come and go with frequency, and each new one brings about new aims and focus points. Jobs come and go. Most work groups are established with ceilings, and little opportunity for advancement. Only transfers to other work groups offer any change in assignment.
Pros
Pay and benefits
Cons
Job uncertainty
nothing current to relate
Principal Security Consultant (Former Employee) –  Springfield, ORJanuary 12, 2017
one two three four five six seven eight nine ten eleven twelve thirteen fourteen fifteen sixteen seventeen eighteen nineteen twenty twenty-one twenty-two
Nice place
Linux System administrator (Former Employee) –  INJanuary 11, 2017
Very easy to move on with staff and very flexible hours. You can have a great experince with all the technical aspects of Automation and development .
Great co workers
Project Coordinator to SVP, VP and Fellow (Current Employee) –  Mountain View, CAJanuary 8, 2017
Here I am in year 6 and my co workers are what I love most about my job. Management is very supportive with the constant changes happening in the organization and company wide. The best part of my job is the flexibility and travel.
Pros
growth and opportunity
Cons
constant changes that leave some with little motivation
Learned a lot from the service provider point of view after previously being the outsourcer at AMD.
Service Delivery Consultant (Former Employee) –  Palo Alto, CAJanuary 5, 2017
I really enjoyed working on standard service requests for Symantec account. The HP team was excellent and I felt like I contributed to the success of the account management and performance.
Pros
Working from home 3 days a week.
Cons
HP beuracracy, red tape, etc.
Great company
Provisioning Specialist - Technical Team Lead (Former Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 27, 2016
Loved the people I worked with. I have learned so much after training new hires.
The hardest part is always thinking whether your job is going overseas.
Pros
Excellent co-workers
Cons
Job security
Great place to work!
Senior Technical Engineer & Project Consultant (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTDecember 26, 2016
Had a great team and management. It was a pleasure to work for such a great company a friend. I took many good memories when I left.
Fun workplace with a ping pong table.
Software Engineer (Former Employee) –  Lake Mary, FLDecember 21, 2016
Great company, great people, and atmosphere.

Though, it's important to know people to advance, and the long game is the key here. The work environment is hard to beat.
Great!
Global Integrated Marketing Manager (Current Employee) –  Mountain View, CADecember 20, 2016
A typical day at work. Really good group to work with, good work/life balance, option to work from home once a week. Everyone is helpful and attentive.
Pros
Campus Gym
Cons
None I can think of
Top tier customers
Sales Engineer/Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Conshohocken, PADecember 18, 2016
A great opportunity to provide solutions for large enterprise customers using a variety of solutions. Roles are typically very independent so you have to set your own direction
Pros
A variety of technical solutions
Cons
Frequent layoffs, management changes
Well run
GLOBAL CONSUMER & SMALL BUSINESS DESIGN MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Cupertino, CADecember 8, 2016
Symantec was well run while I worked there. Leadership was one of the absolute strong points. There wasn't quite the same commitment to work-life balance, and bonuses and pay were average. The employee engagement was great and comradery was exceptional.
Pros
Lots of employee programs, fun environment, free soda
Short time at this company.
Business Continuity Consultant (Former Employee) –  Cupertino, CA 95014December 6, 2016
Symantec is good company but my manager had a lot of issues. They did not have much of a business case to establish their consulting arm. Could have worked well if properly organized.
Was great for the little time I was there
Sales Engineer (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXDecember 5, 2016
Symantec had a lot of promise, and probably has a ton more now that it has sold the Veritas business. It is making the right acquisitions and should be headed in the correct direction.
Symantec Life
Sr. Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Mountain View, CADecember 5, 2016
A typical work day would include; reading through emails to capture any of the previous days activities, meet with my leaders to discuss their day, organize calendars, and complete any pending projects.
Symantec is a fast paced, continuing changing environment. I've learned to adapt to a rapidly changing environment, work quickly and efficiently, and building successful working relationship across the company,both domestic and globally. The people are experienced and friendly and a pleasure to work with.
The hardest part of the job was being given a task with little context needing to be turn around as quickly and flawlessly as possible.

The most enjoyable part of the job was the people I interacted with daily.
Pros
Nice campus, intelligent people, great benefits
Cons
Continual layoffs and restructual changes, no work-life balance
Company to explore and work and collabortate within departments
Sr. Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Mountain View, CADecember 1, 2016
I am currently employed at Symantec. They have acquired Blue Coat and most recently Life Lock. I enjoy the people and time at Symantec. Their is an onsite cafeteria serving gourmet/healthy food.
Pros
Freedom to be creative
Cons
M&A - Job uncertainty
Fast paced environment
Business Development Executive (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXNovember 21, 2016
All of the pro's and con's of high tech, but better than most. Company has undergone a lot of change in past few years. Expect more, given state of industry.
Worked hard and played hard
SQA Engineering Manager (Former Employee) –  Beaverton, ORNovember 13, 2016
Had great camaraderie with coworkers and people reporting to me. We pushed each other to try the impossible, to ask the "what if..." questions, to expand our knowledge.
Great enviroment and team work!
Briefing Manager (Former Employee) –  Mountain View, CANovember 11, 2016
Working with Symantec was a great experience. The team environment was very supportive and encouraging. I had the best years of my career at Symantec.
Symantec has been a great place to work.
Sr. Software Engineer (Former Employee) –  Springfield, ORNovember 7, 2016
Symantec has been great with accommodations that I needed.

What I learned during my 20 years:
- Security practices
- Tracking suspicious computer/network behaviors
- Watching for individual/personal behaviors to watch out for abuse of network/corporate resources.
- Backup & Server availability.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Symantec. Our community is ready to answer.

Indeed Prime: Apply to 100 top tech companies with 1 application

100% free. Land your dream job and get $2k. Interested employers will reach out with salary and equity upfront.

Learn more about Indeed Prime