Symetra Employee Reviews

Wonderful Company to work for
Sales Support Wholesaler (Current Employee) –  Bellevue, WAMay 28, 2017
If you are at all interested in the Insurance Benefits Finance Industry then Symetra is the place for you.

Terrific top down management. Wonderful and helpful HR and Employee related trainings etc.

Good benefits and compensation packages.

I only left because I was not passionate about the industry and so I did not want to do a disservice to such a great company.
A typical day at work
Customer Service Representative/Trainer (Current Employee) –  Enfield, CTFebruary 15, 2017
The most enjoyable part of the job is the coworkers. They are willing to help. Lack of training and management does serve a purpose but mostly missing in action. if they are around they don't know what to do, and goodness don't ask to answer a call. with the exception to one manager, Wish all were like him and willing to help.
Pros
The team
Cons
Healthcare. flexibility does not apply to all departments
Stability
VP, Governance & Business Technology (Former Employee) –  Bellevue, WAJanuary 6, 2017
Great job for someone looking for stability and good work life balance. Great location (downtown Bellevue). Lots of great transportation options (buses, walking and carpool).
Great non-management employees
Business Analyst III (Former Employee) –  Bellevue, WADecember 15, 2016
The employees, primarily non-management employees, make this a good company to work for. Work/life balance, pay, legitamet advancements (based on actual knowledge and hard work), and management needs vast improvement.
Unit Manager
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Bellevue, WAOctober 6, 2016
I think Symetra is a great company. I felt welcomed, the first day I started. It's a rapidly growing company and they really care about their employees and clients. The department I worked in - Retirement, New Business - was very fast paced. We had high expectations and worked a lot of overtime. It was stressful, at times, but we managed to meet our obligations to our clients. It's a great company to work for. I learned a lot, during my time there.
Great Coulture
Western Divisional Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  Bellevue, WASeptember 23, 2016
Great culture and work environment. Executive leadership is supportive. Fast moving and a leader in the industry with product solutions.
Pros
Cons
Small company
Fast paced, productive, workplace with fun and helpful employees.
Customer Service Representative - Call Center (Former Employee) –  Bellevue, WASeptember 3, 2016
I learned all about Life Insurance products, and how to explain them to clients and agents. I assisted callers and processed policy changes.
Employees across the company worked with me agreeably and answered questions thoroughly.
I enjoyed taking a worried or frustrated caller and ending the call with a smile in their voice.
Pros
Friendly co-workers, nice building with food in and nearby, good training and benefits.
Cons
Split lunches and breaks make it hard to socialize with co-workers.
Very Negative Environment
Sr. Financial Analyst (Former Employee) –  Bellevue, WAJuly 6, 2016
While the people were friendly enough, there was a universal attitude of negativity towards management, fellow colleagues, and towards the perceived direction of the company. Symetra stifles advancement, and they allow gross incompetence, making it nearly impossible to get fired. Management is rarely engaging with subordinates, and when they are, they do not readily accept opinion or theory. Expect to be treated like a child there. If you prefer to do the bare minimum without fear of losing your job, then this is the place for you.
Symetra was an amazing company to work for.
IT Transition Consultant (Former Employee) –  Bellevue, WAApril 29, 2016
I was hired on at Symetra after I lost my job of 34 years with an outsourcing company. I worked with Symetra at the outsourcing company from 2005 and had background knowledge required for their move to another outsourcing company. I was hired a a contractor for 2 months to help with the move and write documentation for them on jobs and processes they required. My co-workers at Symetra were the best. The most enjoyable part of my job was the people I worked with.
Pros
My co-workers.
Cons
No Cons, they were a great company
Great teammates
Loan Servicing Accounting Specialist (Current Employee) –  Bellevue, WAApril 14, 2016
I loved all of my co-workers and got along in the office famously.
The hardest part of the job was probably the constant interruption, though I managed the multi-tasking well.
I learned quite a bit about Accounting and the systems used in my position and Commercial Mortgage Servicing and the processing of loan events as I came into the position pretty green and it evolved with the needs of the department.
I loved when presented with the opportunity to work on special projects and I enjoyed training (which I did with all of my co-workers and manager)
A typical day at work would definitely vary from day to day, but a lot of check/wire processing, completing regular/ad-hoc reports, records maintenance, and document preparation.

Want to know more about Symetra?

Ask a question
Great for the unambitious
IT (Current Employee) –  Bellevue, WAMarch 18, 2016
If you are looking for a place where you are not expected to contribute much or are comfortable with letting your coworkers pick up your slack, Symetra's IT organization would be a great fit for you.

The management of the IT organization seems to have very limited technical knowledge and are highly susceptible to deception. If you can talk a big game you won't need to deliver much actual work.

Coworkers are friendly and helpful, and the work environment is very casual. It is not uncommon to find people that have remained loyal to Symetra for many years and the company offers good job security. This is not always good though, there are dozens of employees that have been squatting in the same position for a decade or more, just maintaining the status quo. The average age of the IT department is probably in the late 40s or early 50s and many of the employees could be best described as comfortable where they are at, with little desire to introduce improvements, new technology or new processes.

Performance reviews are 'calibrated' by other managers within the IT organization which makes it even easier to get away with being an idle employee, since many of the teams in IT are stove-piped with little interaction. This means managers, to whom you are a complete stranger, vote on your performance. As a result, the calibration meetings amongst the IT managers are unproductive and only serve to bring the vast majority of employees down to the same level unless you can really advertise how special you are and have a manager willing to stick their neck out for you in
  more... a setting with their peers (which is not likely). There are only three tiers of ratings (does not meet, meets, and exceeds expectations) and nearly everyone seems to get lumped into the same tier (meets expectations) regardless of their performance, good or bad.

If you are driven to excel you will find this workplace highly frustrating. Competency is rewarded with more and more work and responsibilities while you watch your idle coworkers browse Facebook, do some online shopping or take their 3rd trip to Starbucks for the day.

The increased workload and responsibilities for the competent does not translate into increased compensation though. That would require standing out from your peers in the annual review process, which has been made nearly impossible, especially if your manager does not feel like risking their reputation on you.

The company does not seem to have a great understanding of technology and often pushes for changes in their systems that have made supporting the systems very challenging.
Pros
Work/life balance, casual atmosphere, encouraging company values
Cons
Low expectations, difficult to advance, poor support from managers
Nice Place to Work
Customer Service Rep/IRP (Current Employee) –  Bellevue, WADecember 20, 2015
Awesome job.Nice benefits and good work/life balance. Good management team but looses site of upper management vision. Loses team focus.
Pros
Positive acknowledgement from supervisors.Pay was decent for call center position.
Cons
Competitiveness that hindered productivity, pressure to fit into a mold, no mentoring or training, commute to Bellevue is awful Helpful (1)
Great company culture needing stronger and more personable management
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Bellevue, WANovember 22, 2015
Good opportunities for career advancement with good benefits package. Great community support from company and employees. Need for single Project Management Office to manage all Project Managers and Projects. Hostile leadership, that has expectations of employees to work extra hours weekly without compensation.
Pros
Community support and culture
Not that great
Assistant Vice President / Senior Tax Manager (Former Employee) –  Bellevue, WASeptember 3, 2015
Not much positive can be said. I cannot, in good conscience, recommend working at Symetra. That is all I have to say about working at Symetra.
Pros
There are still some very good people there.
Cons
This system doesn't work well
Poor leadership
New Business (Former Employee) –  Bellevue, WAAugust 11, 2015
Management is very inexperienced and lacks the knowledge and skills necessary to properly run departments. There is no work/life balance and training is nonexistent.
Pros
Cons
Management, Pay, Job Security
SIU team is the best!
Fraud Investigator (Former Employee) –  Bellevue, WAJuly 30, 2015
Great place to work, nice office in downtown Bellevue. My supervisor and co-workers made the work day fun. The only reason I'm leaving is to join my husband in another state.
Cons
Commute, expensive parking
Relaxed environment
Underwriting Analyst I (Former Employee) –  Enfield, CTJuly 8, 2015
Good company to work for with potential to grow within company. Help encouragement movement throughout the company. Management for certain departments are great and others could use some improvement. Able to wear regular clothes, no business attire needed unless informed.
Great place to work with service oriented culture
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Bellevue, WAJuly 7, 2015
A lot of community outreach and managers are encouraged to allow employees time away from the office for community service projects. A lot of hiring from within creates room for advancement. Some managers play favorites which can lead to inexperienced or unqualified people being promoted, but for those who are ambitious and capable, it does not hinder growth.
Pros
Community involvement; great co-workers; great service/products for customers
Cons
My advice, avoid this company!
Training Specialist, Life New Business (Former Employee) –  Waltham, MAJuly 5, 2015
The lack of integrity among the management and human resources division of this office is truly astonishing! And this lack of integrity has filtered down through the ranks to cause an atmosphere of distrust among the entire New Business staff. I have never worked in an organization where those who lie are held in high regard and those who value hard work and honesty are seen as lacking qualifications. I believe if the CEO had any idea what was going on in this office, he would be appalled! Especially since he is counting on this office to build the life business. My advice, avoid this company!
Pros
Reasonable Benefits
Cons
Lack of integrity among management, lack of trust among staff
Work Life balance is non exsistant
Absence Management Specialis (Former Employee) –  enfield ctJune 25, 2015
poor training, poor management, favoritism abound, pay seemed reasonable until you got your caseload and job duties. keep looking.
Pros
Cons
all

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Symetra. Our community is ready to answer.

CEO Approval