Symetra

Symetra Employee Reviews

My advice, avoid this company!
Training Specialist, Life New Business (Former Employee) –  Waltham, MAJuly 5, 2015
The lack of integrity among the management and human resources division of this office is truly astonishing! And this lack of integrity has filtered down through the ranks to cause an atmosphere of distrust among the entire New Business staff. I have never worked in an organization where those who lie are held in high regard and those who value hard work and honesty are seen as lacking qualifications. I believe if the CEO had any idea what was going on in this office, he would be appalled! Especially since he is counting on this office to build the life business. My advice, avoid this company!
Pros
Reasonable Benefits
Cons
Lack of integrity among management, lack of trust among staff
Opportunity
Marketing (Current Employee) –  Bellevue, WAMarch 7, 2012
I'm a 16-year employee who has seen a lot of change in my time at Symetra. Through it all, I feel we are a company with employees who care about our customers, our distributors and each other.

Since we were sold in 2004 and became an independent life insurance company, we've admittedly had some growing pains, but change always creates opportunity. New ideas and engaged employees are welcome!

If you have a passion for helping people protect their families and businesses from financial loss and ensure a financially secure retirement, Symetra is a great place to be.
Pros
opportunity to help shape a growing, but stable, financial services company
Cons
change, higher level of expectation than a decade ago
Productive and easy to advance
CSR IV (Former Employee) –  Bellevue, WAJuly 24, 2013
Worked with agents and policyholders on a daily basis. Performed audits on Whole Life policies. Processed illustrations for agents and clients. Trained agents to use our online tool to process illustrations and rate calculations. Trained co-workers to utilize their soft-skills, and was on the escalation team for my co-workers. The hardest part of my job was getting the claim call when a client had just lost a loved one and was calling to process a claim. The most enjoyable part of my job was helping a client receive her life insurance early cause she was terminally ill, so she could use that money as she needed.
Pros
bonuses, company picnics
Cons
healthcare, advancement
Flexible and Friendly Environment
Shared Services (Current Employee) –  Bellevue, WAMarch 7, 2012
I started at Symetra in July 2011 after relocating to the PNW. I didn't know anything about the company but was curious to learn more after seeing the brand on one of the buildings in downtown Bellevue. Since I've been here, I've found my coworkers to all be very supportive and willing to help with training. My management team trusts that I will do my job and provides me with the freedom to determine my own best way to get results.I still have a lot more to learn, but I'm confident that I'll have the resources to do so.
Pros
great location, friendly and supportive coworkers
Cons
only one main location for the fridge/microwaves
Awesome people, great opportunities and professional atmosphere
n/a (Current Employee) –  Bellevue, WAMarch 7, 2012
I've worked at Symetra for several years now, and so glad I made the choice to come here. I appreciate my manager's flexibility with me as I try to balance a busy life outside of work, while still holding me accountable for strong results and pushing me to new levels. I've had a lot of opportunity to take on new challenges. My co-workers are great - I look forward to coming to work! I appreciate how people here treat each other professionally.
Pros
focus on the community and giving back, great location, professional environment
Growing pains
AVP (Former Employee) –  BellevuewApril 25, 2012
Symetra is attempting to change everthing that once was and make it new. This means a lot of growing pains and morale is very low. Management doesn't have a clear vision of the changes and what impacts they will have. The changes are in the right direction but they are starting to affect performance and it is difficult to get things done. The people are the best part of this organization. They truly care about their customers and getting things done.
Pros
benefits, people, location
Cons
morale is low, work life balance, growing pains
Great place to work with service oriented culture
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Bellevue, WAJuly 7, 2015
A lot of community outreach and managers are encouraged to allow employees time away from the office for community service projects. A lot of hiring from within creates room for advancement. Some managers play favorites which can lead to inexperienced or unqualified people being promoted, but for those who are ambitious and capable, it does not hinder growth.
Pros
Community involvement; great co-workers; great service/products for customers
Not good ... Really really not good
Operations (Current Employee) –  Bellevue, WAApril 18, 2015
This place is a mess. Several reorgs have happened over the years and it just keeps getting worse.

Senior management is not connected to the employees like it was under the Safeco brand name. Most have come from other companies, and make quick sweeping changes, only to change again a few months/years later.

I can't emphasize this point enough: Symetra is a mess.
Pros
pay is okay
Cons
really bad coporate culture, things keep changing (and getting worse)
Great company culture needing stronger and more personable management
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Bellevue, WANovember 22, 2015
Good opportunities for career advancement with good benefits package. Great community support from company and employees. Need for single Project Management Office to manage all Project Managers and Projects. Hostile leadership, that has expectations of employees to work extra hours weekly without compensation.
Pros
Community support and culture
Great experience
Intern, Application Developer/Systems Analyst (Current Employee) –  Bellevue, WAMarch 8, 2015
Working at Symetra was a great experience for me. The work life balance and ability to make your own start and end work times daily were great. It was pretty rare that I worked with someone I did not like working with. All the management, including VPs and executives, I was in contact with were approachable and friendly. They wanted to provide you with a path to success.
Great coworkers but dull management
Graphic Designer (Former Employee) –  Bellevue, WAFebruary 16, 2013
I was part of the Marketing Team. The work was a bit dry as this was a insurance company but my coworkers were great, the benefits and pay were awesome and the work was fairly easy. No coming in over the weekend and that sort of thing.
Pros
coworkers, jeans, compensation
Cons
layoffs during christmas time, un-creative marketing director, no enough room for advancement
keep looking
claims (Former Employee) –  Enfield, CTMay 23, 2015
Salary is low based on work expected. Management is inexperienced and catty. Over time and hours expected to work differ from what is presented in job offer. 100% quality metrics are unattainable and you will never meet expectations in a review, unless you are favored. This is a biased work environment on many levels.
Pros
nothing
Cons
management, salary, work/life/balance non-existent, benefits
Dynamic culture with a lot of professional growth opportunities.
NA (Current Employee) –  Bellevue, WAMarch 8, 2012
I've been provided with so many new opportunities during my time with Symetra. I've grown my leadership skills, tackled new projects, and am now learning a whole new field. The saying, "You learn something new everyday." is an understatement.
Pros
great downtown location, educational opportunities, excellent coworkers!
Poor Management
Accounting Clerk (Current Employee) –  Bellevue, WAMarch 26, 2013
Symetra has gone from place to work, to a place where you feel big brother is watching you. Management has been making some questionable decisions regarding job responsibilities lately, having over-worked teams take on more and those who need work with less. Benefits are good as and compensation is okay.
benefits
Cons
poor management
Relaxed environment
Underwriting Analyst I (Former Employee) –  Enfield, CTJuly 8, 2015
Good company to work for with potential to grow within company. Help encouragement movement throughout the company. Management for certain departments are great and others could use some improvement. Able to wear regular clothes, no business attire needed unless informed.
Symetra is a company emerging in the financial services industry
AVP Symetra Financial (Current Employee) –  Bellevue, WAMarch 8, 2012
Symetra is a dynamic company to work for. There are strong career opportunies given the aspiration the company has to advance in the financial services and insurance industries
Pros
dynamic corporate culture
Cons
growing pains
Bank brokers where great to work with.
Regional Vice President (Former Employee) –  Tn, Al and MsJune 8, 2015
On the road 90% of the time after territory cut and licensed bankers eliminated from the sales process. Started new relationships and did not get the opportunity to cultivate those new producers. The banking business is great in both Al and Ms.
Not that great
Assistant Vice President / Senior Tax Manager (Former Employee) –  Bellevue, WASeptember 3, 2015
Not much positive can be said. I cannot, in good conscience, recommend working at Symetra. That is all I have to say about working at Symetra.
Pros
There are still some very good people there.
Cons
This system doesn't work well
Not a nice place to work
Software Developer (Current Employee) –  Bellevue, WASeptember 28, 2013
Too much whispering, too much favoritism, too much micro-management, old IT infrastructure, some poor hires into management positions, good people leaving with alarming regularity.
Pros
location and co-workers
Cons
management
Overall very pleasant work environment with pleasant and helpful colleagues.
ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT II (Former Employee) –  Bellevue, WAApril 15, 2013
Prepare training materials; handle communications such as telephone calls, e-mail and in person.
Worked with wonderful, helpful and caring co-workers.