Symons Ambulance Employee Reviews

Great company to start as an EMT
Emergency Medical Technician (Current Employee) –  San Bernardino, CAApril 19, 2017
I've been working for Symons Ambulance for over a year now and I have had a very positive experience. My manager and supervisor at my station have been helpful in guiding me to grow with the company and they are big team players that hop on a rig with us whenever needed. My coworkers have been great too and we've become like family. Also, we get to work fun events every summer.

I highly recommend working here when you're starting out as an EMT!
Pros
Flexible scheduling, involved management, cool events
Cons
We don't always get paid 24 hours if we don't run night calls
Good starting EMT job
EMT (Former Employee) –  Murrieta, CAApril 18, 2017
The atmosphere of the employees was awesome they were awesome people to work with. Management had a few downfalls that need work for future employees.
Cons
Good employees. Terrible management.
Emergency Medical Technician (Former Employee) –  Murrieta, CAMarch 13, 2017
I did enjoy working here. I loved the job I did. The employees were great as well. I just wasn't too fond of the management. Very greedy and stingy. Didn't like to pay employees for their full hours worked. Wasn't very organized either.
Emergency Medical Technician (Current Employee) –  Tustin, CAFebruary 2, 2017
We work 24 hour shifts and are run almost the entire shift. The dispatch does not allow times to take even a small rest to get something to eat or drink. All calls are non emergency and we only do IFT service. management is very two faced and will find any little thing wrong with what you do.
People complain too much.
EMT-B (Current Employee) –  Symons Events.January 17, 2017
I am fairly new to Symons Ambulance, and I am an events only EMT. First of all, just about everything that everybody is complaining about on here is disclosed before you start working. They are a growing company, and guess what... Nobody is making you come to work for them. If you have good work ethic, and need a good place to begin your EMS career, Symons is a pretty good place.
Pros
Staff keeps things pretty drama free, Managers are clear on what is expected of you as an employee, Hiring process is very welcoming, Plenty of room for growth as this company is expanding.
Cons
Pay starts at minimum wage but that's expected, Have to be on your toes to self schedule hours for events.
It was good for starters
Emergency Medical Technician (Former Employee) –  San Bernardino, CAAugust 17, 2016
The company was a great place to get experience as beginning EMT. The management was all over the place though and the structure wasn't that great.
The employees though were great and even though it was a little crazy it had its benefits.
Highly Recommend You Apply Somewhere Else
Emergency Medical Technician (Current Employee) –  Murrieta, CAMay 27, 2016
This is an honest review of the company and I will try and cover as much as I can.

For starters, management or dispatch are not your friends. They are looking for any reason to fire you at any given moment the minute you don't follow a command from them. If you are scheduled to work at 9:00 and they say come in at 7:00, expect to hear about it from your supervisor or HR the following day. They will take advantage of you and belittle you because they are management. They put on this persona at the orientation that they are here for you but trust me they're not. Dispatchers hate EMT's. They play favorites big time here. Everyday you will hear about how 1 crew got ran all night and the other crew got at most 1 call.

Your co-workers are generally nice. Some will talk about you behind your back but generally you establish a good relationship with your partner because you work with each other the same shift each week.

The interview process is easy. Expect to get hired on the spot. You get paid minimum wage. Recently I've have been told that they can no longer guarantee you hours. They have 4 units per station (3 stations total). They over hired people so the remainder of the employees that do not work on the rigs work at events. You are basically working per diem.

The job itself is actually easy just don't push anyone's buttons. All you do is pick people up and drop them off somewhere else. Basically, a taxi service. You will do no EMT type work here I swear. If you were to be so lucky to come across a Traffic Collision, the fire department and AMR will boot you off
  more... the scene and laugh at the fact that you were there. It is the law though to stop at the scene so stop and help.

I would not work here for no more than 3 months. Do your absolute best to get into a better higher paying job. It's a start but do no get stuck here like some of these other guys that have been here for 2+ years. Making $10 an hour isn't a career.
Company has amazing potential.
EMT-Basic (Current Employee) –  Murrieta CAOctober 15, 2014
Learned a lot about patient care during transports. Worked really well with others in the company. I enjoyed working long 24 hour shifts two days a week.
Pros
2 days a week
Cons
very low pay. no incentives
Good place to start as New Emt, but over-rated
Emergency Medical Technician (Former Employee) –  Murrieta, CAAugust 26, 2014
If you can't get into AMR, it's a great place to get your feet wet. Easy interview process. Do not expect any skills testing. The only thing I will say is that they have been going through a lot of changes and employee morale has gone down.
However, the EMTs that work there are very nice and will help you when you need it. Also, expect to get called in to work unexpectedly or to get held over at work. This is the norm for Symons.
Finally, be aware that the 24 hr shifts do not pay between the hours of 10pm-6am if you get 5 hours of uninterrupted sleep. Yes, it is legal. Other employees have already looked it up.
A lot of BLS calls so minimal 911 response experience here unless you sign up for events. Those are the best!
Otherwise, good starting place for new EMTs. The company needs some improvements.
Pros
flexible, able to work at awesome events like concerts and raves!
Cons
minimum wage, low employee morale
Disorganized management
Emergency Medical Technician (Current Employee) –  Murrieta, CAApril 30, 2014
Co- workers are not trustworthy and will stab you in the back.
Management does not communicate, and does not respond to concerns.
Pros
some gas station give free coffee and food.
Cons
Disorganized dispatch
Expanding ambulance company
EMT-B (Current Employee) –  Tustin, CAJanuary 22, 2014
Working for Symons is just your typical non-emergent ambulance company. The company is in the process of expanding so things are a little tough but it will all come around soon.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Symons Ambulance. Our community is ready to answer.

2.3