SYSCO Employee Reviews

Sysco was good for my career.
Operations Systems Analyst, Warehouse Manager. (Former Employee) –  Norman, OKSeptember 20, 2016
Sysco is a good company that loves to promote from within. They will train your in all aspects of the job role you're in and if they see improvement in your they will promote you to the next level.
Pros
Great that they promote from within the company.
Cons
Long hours.
Great Place
Regional Market Manager (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOSeptember 20, 2016
Sysco is the best food company in the country. If you want to learn the business is the best university. Great place to work and have fun.
Its is a great place to work at
Selector (Former Employee) –  Jersey City, NJSeptember 19, 2016
I was a overnight seloctor meaning i would select orders for restrants an other food companies all arround the world an the truck drivers will deliver them
Law Enforcement
Marketing Associate (Current Employee) –  Baraboo, WISeptember 19, 2016
I started as a jailer, to patrol and then as a detective sgt. It depends on who the sheriff is at the time as far as the work enviroment goes. Right now I think it is good.
Good place to learn
Marketing Associate (Former Employee) –  Fremont, CASeptember 16, 2016
The company gave me the opportunity to enter into the sales side of foodservice after having a chef career. They had very good training and good products to sell.
Overworked and Under-paid.
Operations Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLSeptember 16, 2016
Long hours every day, never appreciated for the work you complete. if you want to work 65 hours a week and 6 days a week this is the job for you, you will get burned out fast and will stay on night shift for years.
Pros
cant think of any
Cons
poor upper management team, all out for themselves, HR director involved in everything except what he needs to be involved in.
The most stressful work environment you will ever be in!!
Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MISeptember 15, 2016
Let me start this by saying that this job COULD be the best job ever, but unfortunately everything about it just sucked. They sell you the biggest bill of goods ever and pretty much do the complete opposite of what they sold you on. First off the management is absolutely atrocious, they could care less about you or your life outside of sysco, the cases that are on the truck is the only thing that matters in their eyes and if you cannot get it handled than your completely expendable. As a truck driver, you always like to see a good strong structure in terms of how your trucked is picked and loaded, and especially how it is routed but at this place it is the worst you could ever imagine. The truck is a complete train wreck, you open the back door and all of your first stops product is on the bottom of the pallets so you have to spend an extra hour just breaking it all down in your truck just to get your first stop off, and that pretty much continues the whole day, you will literally spend an extra 3 hours of day digging for product and reorganizing your truck over and over throughout the day..the loaders are just as horrible, they just throw product wherever they want to and you have to constantly climb over product to get to what you need or they just bury it all together to where you have to take everything off your truck and reorganize it yourself which eats up a massive amount of time. The routing is hideous, they don't care where you are, if they need a stop done they will send you to it, even if its an hour off your route you have to go take care of it or you get wrote up.  more... Speaking of wrote up, you get written up for EVERYTHING here. Don't even think about getting hurt here or your wrote up, even if your just walking back to your truck and someone hits you with a car its your fault and your wrote up, freaking joke. if your ill and call in, your written up, 2 more times your fired..all they preach is safety yet we are required to pull 300 lb 2 wheelers up and down flights of stairs all day long no matter how bad that is for your back, yet if you hurt your back doing it its your fault and your written up..multiple DOT violations that are overlooked and not followed like they're supposed to be by management, all they care about is getting those cases off the truck no matter what..its a guaranteed 14-16 hours of work a day, forced to work saturdays with only 1 day off mid week which can be a violation because you need a 34 hour stretch off at some point during the week. People always rave about how great the money is but the money is great anywhere if your working a guaranteed 70 hours a week and have no life outside of work! Plus they mess up your pay and try to cheat you out of money if you don't pay attention and catch it and call them out on it, its ridiculous..if you value your life at all, stay as far away from this place as you can!!  less
Pros
Money I guess
Cons
Horrible management, pickers, loaders, routers, schedules
The customer services was a great standard and consistency rule.
class a driver (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVSeptember 14, 2016
Typical day includes up at 1:30am with a mim 10 hr work day.average14 to 16 every work day.I learned DOT rules and health department rules were not the# 1 priority.I have no comment on management,due to lack of being approachable.My coworkers were some of the best iv'e ever worked with.drivers relied on each other.The hardest part of the job was the reverse stacking of product that worked against the routing.The best part of my job was our customers,every delivery was a good delivery.
Pros
occasionally free lunch
Cons
professional leadership.
Career growth
Corporate Business Development Manager (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 11, 2016
Typical work day were always filled with opportunities to interact both internally within the corporate office and with individual divisions who were are customers.

I was recruited from the Orlando division in 1995 to relocate back to Texas in the Poultry department as a Product Manager, promoted to Senior Product Manager in Pork, Promoted to Department Manager for all Poultry, and then to the Business Development Group built across all categories Nationally with the responsibility of all Fresh Chicken Sales within the organization.

Worked with a great group of people doing the heavy lifting and hardest part of the job due to volumes were the sourcing of quality suppliers to meet our specifications and volumes demand on a regular basis.

Enjoyed the most the daily challenges, sourcing and program development, dealing with the divisions, sales and street customers.
Pros
opportunities for growth, people, and challenges to gain knowledge
Cons
competitive salaries for tasks
Good pay, favoritism big time and no life
HR Generalist (Former Employee) –  FloridaSeptember 4, 2016
I loved working for Sysco. Then I realized that since I wasn't a chosen one I would never go anywhere. I worked my butt off for 13 years and when I became ill I was dropped like a hot potato. No fundraiser, no notice to sales that one of their long time co workers had cancer. Nothing. I just disappeared like I was fired. Then the person they hired to replace me (before my 12 weeks were up) was included in my benefits meeting. They were new to the company and I had to correct them.
Pros
Decent pay
Cons
long hours, promotion based on favorites not work
Highly stressful environment, but opportunity galore
Management (various) (Former Employee) –  MN, OH, TX, ILAugust 31, 2016
SYSCO consistently promotes from within -- even to a fault. So if you want to "move up," or relocate with the U.S., then this is a good company. Wonderful benefits because of their 150,000 employee base. Typically works weekends and holidays, depending on your job there. Warehouse and Transportation for sure will work weekends.
productive
Hand select (Current Employee) –  Olathe, KSAugust 30, 2016
great paying job. Very good management and supervising team. great company overall but and i prefer a forklift there i drive a 3 leg pallet jack. hardest part of the job is the standards employees have to meet.
Safe enviroment
Accounts Payable Clerk (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLAugust 28, 2016
Sysco is a very company. It has an awesome benefit plan for employees. The environment is excellent. Only the location is a bit far for where I want to be.
Pros
Employees recognition lunch, prizes
Cons
computer system is a bit of a challenge
Hard work long hours
Delivery Driver (Current Employee) –  Pocomoke City, MDAugust 28, 2016
This is a job for a young man with no family.The work is hard the hours are long the pay is good but you're gonna earn it.If you can stick with it you do get better routes but you get paid less because they are easier. Pay is based on the difficulty of the stop estimated travel time etc.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
hard work long hours
Your just a number
clerical (Former Employee) –  Jackson, WIAugust 26, 2016
Many wrong decisions have been made costing the company tons of money, so now to try and offset the loses they did a 2% workforce reduction. So many of the benefits have all been taken away. Health insurance is not cheap. Heavy stress in all departments. Pay is not competitive if you work in the office they do pay the drivers very well.
Lots of favoritism

Jackson, WI location
Pros
Free coffee and gym
Cons
little room for advancement high stress, clicky and favortism under average pay
All about saving money
Coordinator, Fleet & MHE Asset Management (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 26, 2016
This is a company that is going through lots of changes at the moment, but is till managing stay stay on top of its competitors and is in a goal for saving money..
Fun place to work
Picker/Packer/Shipper (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAAugust 25, 2016
Overall a good company to work for. Has a lot of opprrtunites for employees to grow. Job security is good and does a good job in trying to give back to the need
Pros
Pay was good with overtime
Cons
Managent
Amazing company to work for, dominates in food distribution.
Account Executive - Inside Sales (Former Employee) –  Wilsonville, ORAugust 24, 2016
Great team members and advancement is available in many different career fields.

I have learned at Sysco how the company operates from the ground up. Transportation logistics, freight specifications, pricing structures, group purchasing organizations(Sodexo, Foodbuy and Aramark) and master distribution agreements. Compliancy amongst Sysco corporate policies for vendor agreements, bill backs, and audits.
Pros
Learning the food distribution company every aspect from the ground up.
Cons
Corporate office dictates local Operating Company protocols, regardless of the local competitive market.
Beverage distributor serving 3 states carrying such iconic brands as Canada Dry Ginger Ale
Marketing Associate (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDAugust 24, 2016
I covered a territory encompassing three counties. I was promoted after 3 months of employment to the institutional account manager servicing the largest accounts in the portfolio.
Avoid this place
Warehouse Associate (Former Employee) –  Alachua, FLAugust 21, 2016
They will sell you a dream. Once you get hired you will see the ugly truth. You are just a number and you can work hard and try to move up but if you not the favorite you wont go any where. If you are looking for a check this is the place for you. Other than that keep it moving. This place has had 4 HR Directors in 8 years that should be a clear RED FLAG!!
Pros
Benefits employee purchase
Cons
Poor management and human resources needs work