SYSCO Employee Reviews

Relaxed atmosphere
SMS Costing Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 4, 2013
Maintain pricing for assigned Sysco suppliers. I have learned Supply Chain functionalities, costing updates, and internal bill-back system while managing dual systems. Management is flexible and often hands on. My co-workers are team players who take the lead when assistance is needed. I often struggle with pricing not updating properly due to system problems which have been known to delay pricing. The most enjoyable part of the job the relaxed atmosphere.
Pros
food giveaways
Cons
the pay is bad, over worked, inability to take time off due to heavy work load
The Culture at Sysco is staying focused and working hard.
SMS Costing Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 23, 2012
A typical day at Sysco actually flies by because before I know it. I haven't taken a lunch and it's almost time to leave. I work with a lot of friendly down to earth people that makes the long days more enjoyable. The hardest part of my position is beating the clock. There never seems to be enough time in the day. The part I like most about my job is woking with my suppliers. They are in Canada,New York, East Texas everywhere and we talk and share life stories like we have known each other a lifetime.
Pros
location
Cons
healthcare
Insane standards!
Order Selector (Current Employee) –  Jessup, MdOctober 16, 2014
If you want to know what it feels like to be a modern day slave, then join Sysco as a order Selector. This is my third week and my supervisor is expecting me to run at 70% or higher everyday. I work 12 to 15 hours daily with no time to really recuperate from the previous day of work. Every muscle on my body aches literally. Hourly reminders that if u don't select at the rate they want, u will be let go. I can honestly say the only thing keeping me going is the money, but even that is not worth it. Be prepared to ravage your body!
Pros
money money money
Cons
everything besides the money
Order Selector
Order Selector (Former Employee) –  ILOctober 25, 2013
Log on wrist-mounted computer device.
Complete inspection sheet (Electric Pallet Jack)
Select product by slot & description
Assemble customer order from stock
Place order on pallets in proper sequences
Attach labels on product printed out on belt-mounted printer
Proceed to correct slot location
Transport product to duck area for staging
Communicated basic skills to understand work system and instructions
Use basic computer skills to operate systems
Adhere to company safety policies, procedures and rules
Pros
the money
Cons
this was a tiresome job
Productive and fast paced environment
ChefEx Specialist (Current Employee) –  HOUSTON, TEXASOctober 5, 2013
A typical day included price changes, item maintenance, creating new items for new and existing vendors. Resolving damage claims or contacting FedEx/vendors to obtain claim status or track payments sent. Answering emails regarding tracking or product issues. The hardest part is not being able to fully complete my job duties due to system or network issues. The most enjoyable part of the job is building and maintaining relationships with my suppliers.
Pros
onsite gym with zumba classes and personal trainer, flex schedule
Would not reccomend this company
not going to say (Former Employee) –  Denver, CO.March 5, 2014
No training at all. Management is never in the office to assist in making decisions yet you are held 100% accountable for your work with little to no instruction or expectations. Allow "senior" employees to treat co-workers poorly without reprimand. If you aren't in the "it crowd" your not accepted or praised for your work even though it's better than the favorites. By far the worst experience ever with any employer.
Pros
yummy food from amazing chefs!
Cons
human resources interaction is like being treated as if you are a terrorist or a maggot
Great promotion opportunities.
Transportation Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Denver, COAugust 23, 2015
I moved up from a driver to a clerk to a supervisor. However as I moved upwards my paycheck for hours worked became smaller, due to becoming salaried vs hourly. This is a great company to work for if you don't mind the union and all the negativity that some of the old "union hands" bring to the table. There is no better feeling in the world than looking back on an empty 48' trailer and just seeing your 2-wheeler, empty pallets, and pallet jack.
Pros
Mostly great people
Cons
Union leaves a bad taste in your mouth. Poor work life balance.
Great place to work, but fast paced environment
Freight Handler/Receiving Clerk (Former Employee) –  Belleville, MIMarch 25, 2014
The work place was fast moving and never dull. Unfortunately they later asked me to work hours that conflicted with my school schedule. Promotions are frequent if you show skills necessary in higher management positions. Friendly and generally decent people. Some of the more difficult parts of this job were things such as the heavy lifting and climate changes as you may end up working in the freezer one moment and dry dock the next.
Pros
good pay, plenty of overtime
Cons
constant climate changes
Really Great Concept - Just couldn't deliver
HR extraordinaire (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 13, 2013
Started out great at Sysco - but mid level leaders starting modeling the really personal and political agendas of top level leaders. The agenda of your leader was oriented towards the individual. There were several instances where my boss took direct credit and won awards for work that I designed and performed, with no acknowledgement for my part.
Pros
jeans on fridays - located outside of galleria or downtown
Cons
politically motivated leadership and peers;low trust and confidence in your team or sr. leaders
Think twice before applying for this company!
Outbound Warehouse Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Jersey City, NJDecember 31, 2015
High employee turn over rate. Management is clueless. Lack of training. They do hire convicted felons. Need I say more?

I worked the night shift and had no personal life what so ever. It's a union shop for the selectors. In order to make the union they work you like a dog and create numbers for you to achieve that are basically impossible so right before you make the union they fire you and hire more cheap labor employees.
Pros
Free Gym access, free dinner once in a blue moon
Cons
No life outside of work
Work environment very unorganized and unprofessional
Delivery Associate (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INOctober 6, 2013
No chance for advancement, unless you are part of the (click). Management very unprofessional and very underhanded. Department Managers have little or no knowledge necessary in their positions. long physical and thank less hours everyday. No support from Operations but constant harassment wanting to know why you can't meet you delivery windows, management is extremely lazy.
Pros
good pay
Cons
very physically and mentally stress full, with little to no personal or time for self or family
Excellent Job until the market crashed
Sales and Marketing Territory Manager (Former Employee) –  Palmetto, FLJuly 26, 2013
I loved working for this company and made A Lot of money until the market crash. Went from making over 75k annual commission plus bonus to $300 a week commission average in the summer and $600 in season in 2010. Company was doing a total reconstruction at West Coast Florida. I fell back on my nursing license during this professional and personal transition, but extremely motivated and ready to get back into food sales!!
Pros
autonomy and money
Cons
7 days a week/70 hrs a week/vertually no money
High expectations and Quality Management
Operations Assistant (Former Employee) –  Fremont, CAJune 10, 2015
Although I was hired on a temporary basis, I learned various office procedures and was trained in programs that will help me in the future in the work world. The hardest part of the job was getting a hold of supervisors due to the high volume of work/responsibilities they had which sometimes made completely tasks take longer than expected. The most enjoyable part of the job was learning office tactics (filing, new technology, tools to increase efficiency) in an open and helpful environment.
Very Productive and Wonderful Place to Work!
Senior Enterprise Architect (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 11, 2012
Learning and constantly evolving new information technology and business to make sure SYSCO stays on top. SYSCO has an entrepreneurial tradition, and a general willingness to tolerate and even embrace technological and business change. A company such as SYSCO is always watching for outstanding employees who can bring a wealth of knowledge to the company and also know what it takes to keep a positive ROI.
Pros
healthcare, benefits, compensation, willing to listen to new ideas, etc.
Rough Work Environment
Professional (Former Employee) –  Harmony, PAJune 7, 2015
The management is not supportive and very discriminatory about minorities moving up in the company. Managers only care about how good they look not what a vital asset their employees are or how they are the ones that make them look that way. The hardest part of the job is dealing with the fact it is a service industry and nothing you do is ever good enough. The most enjoyable part of the job was the personal support you get from coworkers. This atmosphere is not good for someone who is looking for long term employment.
Accounts Receivable & Earned Income Analyst
Earned Income Analyst (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 24, 2014
During my position at Sysco. I had duties such as accounts receivable, and a supplier audits. I was able to learn how to balance multiple tasks at once and adjust to the environment that I was in. All though I find pleasure in taking on difficult situations working with my co-workers, I can learn and achieve the task set before me. The hardest part of my job is not always being able meet the customers’ needs. I always enjoy interacting with my customers and co-workers.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
the pay
terrible place to work!!
finance (Former Employee) –  sysco central pa, HarrisburgNovember 15, 2013
Sysco Central PA is one of the worst places ive ever worked at. The office politics there are extreme. Some of the most cut throat people I have ever met. The benefits are not very good, expensive. They keep taking more and more away from the employees. Any issues that were raised to direct supervisors or HR, were completely ignored. All the good employees that were once there have quit and now only the trouble makers remain.
Pros
occasional free food in the break room
Cons
terrible benefits, low pay, nasty office gossip and politics

Comment – November 19, 2013

I couldnt agree more. I have worked at two different sysco houses and sysco central PA was terrible.

Comment – January 14, 2014

I am a former employee of Sysco Central PA and that place was a joke. They abide by their own rules. There were people that were a year away from retirement that got let go. People that had 25-30 years in that were let go. The going trend was to let these people go so they could replace with cheaper wages. Every day I spent in that place, I felt like a scared rat in a cage, never knew when I was going to get picked out and fed to the snake. Fridays were extra stressful because they did their firings on fridays. All the people that were decent at their jobs have now left so just the slackers now remain. Didnt get raises for years at a time. The pay was terrible. Proceed with caution.

well established company with up to date technology, stock options, above average pay scales
supervisor (Former Employee) –  Calera, ALAugust 28, 2015
Can be long hard days at times but the compensation makes it worth your wild. User friendly modern programs are easy to use. Plenty of equipment with crowding not an issue. Good opportunities to crosstrain. Incentive based pay! Local hr person is not necessarily on your side.
Pros
great pay, stock options, incentive pay, sound company
Cons
can be long hours at times, management decisions locally can be somewhat harsh at times with no real appeal process
dont do it
sales rep (Current Employee) –  flint, miJanuary 21, 2015
i interviewed with the manager and trainer of Flint Michigan region. I have numerous experience in this type of work. This was the worst interview i have ever had. these guys have no respect for anyone and simply want to cut you down and teach you how to do things there way. I cannot believe the company would allow such egotistical people to represent there company. they will never find anyone of value to work for them by treating people this way. DO NOT WORK FOR THEM. it will not end well for you.
Pros
nothing
Cons
flint michigan management
Enjoyed the foodservcie sales careers and hospitality industry
Sales Rep/Territory Manager (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKApril 5, 2013
Enjoyed creating sales territories in the foodservice industry earning decent money but disliked the eventual territory re-alignments which were common place for every distributor I worked with. The restaurant business was really satisfying as you gave people experiences that were rarely found, The only bad part of restaurant management back then was I worked over 90 hours in six days every week and all holidays.
Pros
self gratifying - all of it!