Systems Made Simple

Systems Made Simple Employer Reviews

Work dayat the VA
Test Manager - Senior Principal Consultant (Current Employee), Austin, TXOctober 9, 2014
A very productive day working at the Dept. of VA. Following PMAS and ProPath for all VA project. Meet daily with the VA PM, SMES, Business owneres, and system development team.
Contract based with no future
Analyst (Former Employee), Austin, TXOctober 9, 2014
Pros: pay, pto, benefits, flexibility
Cons: lack of work, lack of challenge, lack of advancement
As a contractor, a typical day involves logging in and finding no emails from the day before and then searching for things to do to keep you busy. When something does come up to work on, it takes 3-6 months to complete because it SO important at first and then the supervisors take forever to respond or focus on the task. It's government based work for the VA and it's very slow. You run into all kinds of people, but almost everyone is very pleasant and facing the same battles with lack of work. Your SMS manager will most likely have no idea what you do since your work is mainly for the VA managers. The benefits are pretty good, the pay is good, and you typically get 3 weeks of PTO. Depending on the job, flexibility is pretty good with telework.
Government work is definitely different than the private sector
IT Project Manager (Current Employee), Austin, TXOctober 2, 2014
A typical day at the VA involves meetings, meetings and more meetings. The culture is based on meetings, lots of email and lots of procedures that span multiple departments and where few people understand anything beyound their small part of the workflow. If you area born problem-solver who can deal with paperwork and email, this might be a the place for you.
Educational benefits
Unemployed (Former Employee), FloridaAugust 16, 2014
Pros: you are employed
Cons: i am not
Computer programming... All education is online somewhere.

I read these reviews before applying... I often see people showing their faults as accusatory statements against a business.

After completing my masters (which I paid for) and completing my certification (which I paid for) I became more marketable because of it... ... For two reasons...

I invested in myself without needing someone to push me.
I WANT the education and nothing will stop me.

Just an FYI but if you really are a programmer because you love to do it, you do not need someone to hand it to you.

If you need someone to offer you education before you will learn, other programmers do not want to work with you. Not because you are bad but because it is a wasted investment that takes up valuable time.

Why people still blame businesses for their lack of motivation is disturbing.
a fun place to work
Telecommunications Technician (Current Employee), Philadelphia, PAJuly 7, 2014
Pros: good benefits
Cons: short breaks
A good place to work.

I work on the Avaya phone system. programming features on phones, contact vendors on trouble tickets, doing soft updates on video units, scheduling video conference using TMS etc
Not a good company
Software Quality Engineer III (Current Employee), remoteFebruary 19, 2014
This is not a good company to work for. There are no educational benefits, so it's tough to progress in your skill levels. There is not much of a concern for employees.
Fast pace friendly enviroment
Executive Office Manager (Current Employee), McLean, VAFebruary 4, 2014
Pros: staff
Cons: location
I have enjoyed my time here at SMS, it is a company with an outstanding vision and mission.
Executive management team takes interest in all projects
IT Project Manager (Current Employee), Austin, TXNovember 11, 2013
Pros: excellent compensation
Cons: limited customer base - primarily veterans administration (va)
SMS is a great small company to work for. The exeuctive leadership team takes interest in projects. The compensation is very competitive and the company is growing and expanding.
great company with good compensation and benefits
ROI Specialist and Implementation Analyst (Former Employee), San Diego, CAApril 30, 2013
Pros: freedom to manage my time
Cons: distance, transportation, traffic
this was a contract position for a special program under the Obama Healthcare initiative to coordinate and combine the medical records of US Veterans to achieve better healthcare of the patients for the service they provided their country. a typical day on the job included with heavy data entry, followed by recruitment of patients into the program. that entailed going out into the open areas of the hospital setting up a table and talking to patients explaining the benefits the program offered to improve their care. having them sign release forms, entering the release forms into the system and also inputting the information into a database system. tracking the information on flow charts and diagrams. and making reports for my supervisors.
Not worth it
Developer, C# (Former Employee), Austin, TXMarch 3, 2013
The work they had me do was below what i had been doing in prior years. Project had so many imppediments that they were loosing people at a high rate.
Nice place to work just need to be more structure
IT (Current Employee), VTJanuary 2, 2013
Pros: nice and smart people
Cons: poor management. structure is needed
SMS is a nice place to work. The people are friendly and if you are involved, you will learn a lot. The company however needs much more structure.
Challenging projects
Business Analyst (Current Employee), Syracuse, NYAugust 13, 2012
Enjoy working with the government client and leading a team to resolve the challenges of the organization.
Returned to SMS a second time
Project Manager (Progressed from BA to PM) (Current Employee), Palm Beach Gardens, FL (remote)April 1, 2012
Pros: benefits
Cons: as in any company that depends on contracts, whether fulltime or contract work, the uncertainty of job security
Enjoy the work with the Veteran's Admistration with overseeing 12 pilot sites across the country. This involves staff supervision, conference calls, time keeping, invoice approval, timeline maintenance, weekly and monthly reporting, as well as handling staff issues should they arise. Work mostly with contractors on site and the VA employees as well as another vendor and find them all dedicated to this project and nice to work with on a daily basis. Hardest part of my job is that at times I cannot make critical decisions without waiting for upper management approval that agrees with me in the end having made my decision knowing the project and situation involved. Prefer being respected in my field, if I error then discussed and know not to make the same mistake again rather than the delay this process can create. I have learned that I do my job well and need to be trusted to do it based on my own experience and past reputation with the company.

About Systems Made Simple

SMS offers a flexible array of Application Support Services to help you manage your application portfolio. Our services range – Read more