Systems Made Simple Employee Reviews

Typical Tech Writing
Senior Technical Writer (Former Employee) –  Syracuse, NYOctober 24, 2017
Encountered nothing I hadn't seen before. Was remote work and I struggled because I'm an extrovert and want to be around people. Everyone was nice. My project was a bit chaotic and got cancelled. So filled in as a gopher for other projects. Not ideal but it paid the bills.
Pros
Good Company
Cons
Contactor with Govt (bureaucracy), remote, hard to make strong connections
Enjoyed working for SMS
Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Syracuse, NYJuly 7, 2017
Great company and management to work for. I enjoyed my role and responsibilities which gave me the opportunity to continue working in the Veterans Affairs environment.
Pros
Worked remote
Cons
Not the most inviting place to work
Project Manager/Senior Strategic Planner (Former Employee) –  RemoteJune 13, 2017
As a remote employee, I often felt very much on the outside and not informed of the overall company deals. With no insight as to upcoming business opportunities
Great team
System/Software Architect (Current Employee) –  Martinsburg, WVJune 10, 2017
Great team, very talented staff, Not much else I can say about the team, the processes are time consuming, the amount of documentation is high, but the work is fun
Pros
challanging
Cons
politics
Excellent Company until Lockheed took over
Benefits Manager (Former Employee) –  Syracuse, NYOctober 27, 2016
Loved working at Systems Made Simple, but owners sold to Lockheed Martin and it all went down hill from there. Employees left and jobs were eliminated. The Systems Made Simple name is gone!
Dynamic place to work
Director (Current Employee) –  McLean, VAOctober 27, 2015
Fast paced environment surrounded by good people. Emphasis on individual contributions and less on processes, however, this lack of process became an obstacle to growth. The Lockheed Martin acquisition was perfect timing to instill more mature processes, while still retaining some of the nimbleness that the original organization possessed.
Pros
Great people
Nice place to work
Sr Test Engineer (Current Employee) –  Vienna, VAMay 26, 2015
The management is great in communication; benefit is reasonable. It is about standard in other perspectives. There are social gatherings online as well as annual picnic which are nice.
Pros
Free vision for families.
Cons
Healthcare is medium in cost, not top.
Work dayat the VA
Test Manager - Senior Principal Consultant (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXOctober 9, 2014
A very productive day working at the Dept. of VA. Following PMAS and ProPath for all VA project. Meet daily with the VA PM, SMES, Business owneres, and system development team.
Contract based with no future
Analyst (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXOctober 9, 2014
As a contractor, a typical day involves logging in and finding no emails from the day before and then searching for things to do to keep you busy. When something does come up to work on, it takes 3-6 months to complete because it SO important at first and then the supervisors take forever to respond or focus on the task. It's government based work for the VA and it's very slow. You run into all kinds of people, but almost everyone is very pleasant and facing the same battles with lack of work. Your SMS manager will most likely have no idea what you do since your work is mainly for the VA managers. The benefits are pretty good, the pay is good, and you typically get 3 weeks of PTO. Depending on the job, flexibility is pretty good with telework.
Pros
Pay, Pto, Benefits, Flexibility
Cons
lack of work, lack of challenge, lack of advancement
Government work is definitely different than the private sector
IT Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXOctober 2, 2014
A typical day at the VA involves meetings, meetings and more meetings. The culture is based on meetings, lots of email and lots of procedures that span multiple departments and where few people understand anything beyound their small part of the workflow. If you area born problem-solver who can deal with paperwork and email, this might be a the place for you.
Educational benefits
Unemployed (Former Employee) –  FloridaAugust 16, 2014
Computer programming... All education is online somewhere.

I read these reviews before applying... I often see people showing their faults as accusatory statements against a business.

After completing my masters (which I paid for) and completing my certification (which I paid for) I became more marketable because of it... ... For two reasons...

I invested in myself without needing someone to push me.
I WANT the education and nothing will stop me.

Just an FYI but if you really are a programmer because you love to do it, you do not need someone to hand it to you.

If you need someone to offer you education before you will learn, other programmers do not want to work with you. Not because you are bad but because it is a wasted investment that takes up valuable time.

Why people still blame businesses for their lack of motivation is disturbing.
Pros
You are employed
Cons
I am not
a fun place to work
Telecommunications Technician (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJuly 7, 2014
A good place to work.

I work on the Avaya phone system. programming features on phones, contact vendors on trouble tickets, doing soft updates on video units, scheduling video conference using TMS etc
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
short breaks
Horrible Management and Human Resources department
Quality Assurance Analyst (Former Employee) –  Vienna, VAMarch 24, 2014
The work as a Quality Assurance Analyst/Tester was challenging and interesting and the compensation and benefits were good.

However, that is where the positive ends. Where I was employed, we weren't encouraged to bring up issues concerning software problems and defects and weren't encouraged to try to improve testing processes.

In my opinion, management is "out of touch" with their employees, not well informed concerning company policies and procedures, and offered unsatisfactory support in investigating and resolving problems or issues. Human Resources seemed to put managers first and were little help in resolving problems between employees and management. There was no feeling of an "open door policy" between management and employees.

Systems Made Simple Management needs to have more respect for and value the employees who are out there doing all the technical work.
Pros
Challenging and interesting work
Cons
Poor management and poor Human Resources.
Not a good company
Software Quality Engineer III (Current Employee) –  remoteFebruary 19, 2014
This is not a good company to work for. There are no educational benefits, so it's tough to progress in your skill levels. There is not much of a concern for employees.
Executive management team takes interest in all projects
IT Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXNovember 11, 2013
SMS is a great small company to work for. The exeuctive leadership team takes interest in projects. The compensation is very competitive and the company is growing and expanding.
Pros
Excellent compensation
Cons
Limited customer base - primarily Veterans Administration (VA)
great company with good compensation and benefits
ROI Specialist and Implementation Analyst (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAApril 30, 2013
this was a contract position for a special program under the Obama Healthcare initiative to coordinate and combine the medical records of US Veterans to achieve better healthcare of the patients for the service they provided their country. a typical day on the job included with heavy data entry, followed by recruitment of patients into the program. that entailed going out into the open areas of the hospital setting up a table and talking to patients explaining the benefits the program offered to improve their care. having them sign release forms, entering the release forms into the system and also inputting the information into a database system. tracking the information on flow charts and diagrams. and making reports for my supervisors.
Pros
freedom to manage my time
Cons
distance, transportation, traffic
Not worth it
Developer, C# (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXMarch 3, 2013
The work they had me do was below what i had been doing in prior years. Project had so many imppediments that they were loosing people at a high rate.
Nice place to work just need to be more structure
IT (Current Employee) –  VTJanuary 2, 2013
SMS is a nice place to work. The people are friendly and if you are involved, you will learn a lot. The company however needs much more structure.
Pros
nice and smart people
Cons
poor management. structure is needed
Challenging projects
Business Analyst (Current Employee) –  Syracuse, NYAugust 13, 2012
Enjoy working with the government client and leading a team to resolve the challenges of the organization.
Returned to SMS a second time
Project Manager (Progressed from BA to PM) (Current Employee) –  Palm Beach Gardens, FL (remote)April 1, 2012
Enjoy the work with the Veteran's Admistration with overseeing 12 pilot sites across the country. This involves staff supervision, conference calls, time keeping, invoice approval, timeline maintenance, weekly and monthly reporting, as well as handling staff issues should they arise. Work mostly with contractors on site and the VA employees as well as another vendor and find them all dedicated to this project and nice to work with on a daily basis. Hardest part of my job is that at times I cannot make critical decisions without waiting for upper management approval that agrees with me in the end having made my decision knowing the project and situation involved. Prefer being respected in my field, if I error then discussed and know not to make the same mistake again rather than the delay this process can create. I have learned that I do my job well and need to be trusted to do it based on my own experience and past reputation with the company.
benefits
Cons
as in any company that depends on contracts, whether fulltime or contract work, the uncertainty of job security

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Systems Made Simple. Our community is ready to answer.

Systems Made Simple Reviews by Location