Our client, established in 1859 and headquartered in Central Delaware, is a rapidly growing utility company with offices in seven states. The company’s leadership is recognized for its keen business acumen, disciplined yet innovative approach, strong corporate citizenship and relentless care of its employees and customers.
TH Easter Consulting has been retained to find the company’s next AVP of Customer Engagement and Operations to lead national operations for customer care and related service operations. The incumbent will plan, direct and manage the back office and front office operations of several business units serving corporate and consumer customers. Duties and responsibilities include: policy development, billing administration, process management, credit and collections, and customer service (including multiple call/contact centers). This individual will also manage human resources, communications and technology requirements across several locations. The incumbent will share P&L responsibility with the various business unit leaders.
Organizational and Departmental
- Establish and implement departmental goals, objectives, policies and procedures, in concert with the business unit leaders and the executive team.
- Determine staffing requirements, and oversee hiring, training and development of new employees.
- Performance management including employee reviews and disciplinary actions.
- Ensure adherence to all aspects of federal, state and company compliance requirements.
- Review financial statements, activity reports, and other performance data to measure productivity against defined goals; identify targets for program and process improvement and cost management.
- Deliver reports and analysis to members of the leadership team including trend identification, best practices, problem resolution and risk mitigation.
- Serve as liaison to other departments to gather requirements and implement customer service initiatives in support of business units’ products and services.
Billing - Systems and Technology
- Provide direction and management oversight of billing, including review, billing cycle close process and audit of processes, e.g. credit balance refunds, accounts receivable system balancing, batch selection/posting and rates/fees.
- Provide management oversight of customer payment processing activities.
- Conduct ROI analysis and evaluation of systems and technology including tangible and intangible costs.
- Partner with IT project managers in the design, development, implementation and evaluation processes.
- Measure system performance in terms of quantifiable business metrics and operational outcomes.
- Provide direction and oversight for procurement and management of third-party BPO relationships for various billing process related services.
- Provide management oversight and guidance with respect to applicable tax regimes and requirements including exemptions and credits, up-to-date backup and documentation.
Credit and Collections
- Ensure the prompt collection of past due accounts
- Develop and implement management reports for the business unit leaders and executive leadership team
- Responsible for collections tracking and reporting
- Make recommendations to the leadership team to reduce delinquent accounts
Customer Contact Provide direction and management oversight of contact centers, including walk-in service centers and call centers.
- Oversee quality assurance including issue resolution, call monitoring, development of performance metrics and monitoring of service quality.
- Develop and implement management reports for the business unit leaders and executive leadership team.
Communication and Interpersonal
- Soliciting and Acquiring Information -- Observe, receive, and otherwise obtain information from all relevant sources.
- Communicating with Supervisors, Peers and Subordinates -- Provide information to supervisors, co-workers, and subordinates.
- Establishing and Maintaining Interpersonal Relationships -- Develop constructive and cooperative working relationships with others.
- Negotiating and Resolving Conflicts -- Handle complaints, settle disputes, and resolve grievances and conflicts and otherwise negotiate with others.
Knowledge, Experience, Education Required
Incumbent will have general and specialized knowledge in the following areas: general operations management, business administration, billing, credit and collections, customer service, human resources, business process management, quality control, computer and telephony technology and public safety and security.
Experience – 10+ years of experience in a customer service environment with additional emphasis on operational functions such as billing, credit and collections and customer service procedures and issues in a utility or highly regulated industry. Experience in management of both back office and front office functions is preferred but not required.
Education -- Bachelor’s degree (MBA preferred, but not required), Six Sigma Certification or similar specialized training desired
Travel -- Position requires 50% travel
Salary is commensurate with experience. Please forward your resume and cover letter with your compensation requirements for immediate consideration.