Join our team as a Writer/Editor/Project Manager. You’ll be responsible for creating and editing support copy on marketing campaigns that span multiple media, including print, web, and emerging mediums. Projects vary widely in size and scope, and may include brochures, event programs, posters, invitations, save-the-date postcards, newsletters, annual reports, promotional emails, monitor signs, and advertising.
The right candidate will have an ear for captivating copy, an ability to hone a concise message within the limitations of a given medium, a collaborative sense of compromise when dealing with both internal and external departmental partners, and a creative and flexible attitude toward educational marketing. A sense of humor is a big plus.
This position shares responsibilities with another publications coordinator and is part of an integrated marketing team along with print and web designers.
RESPONSIBILITIES & TASKS
- Write original and/or edit provided marketing copy
- Compile, review, and approve text changes throughout each project
- Occasionally write PR profiles, captions, ad copy, press releases, and other materials
Project Management (35%)
- Plan, monitor, and track all projects to ensure deadlines are met
- Provide client updates, addressing issues and ensuring project approval
- Collaborate with in-house designers; manage freelance designers
- Collaborate with internal staff to ensure accurate, consistent information
- Coordinate with internal clients to acquire mailing lists (address and/or email)
- Meet with clients and designers to determine the scope of a particular project —deadlines, budget, content, and design
- Assist in the development of a marketing plan for a particular event, program, or center
- Weekly department meetings
SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE & CHARACTERISTICS
- Proficient in written and spoken English
- Proficient with Microsoft Office
- Able to maintain multiple projects and freelancer activity
- Creative and collaborative with a startling attention to detail
- Fluent in copyeditor and proofreader marks (preferred)
- Familiar with Adobe InDesign (preferred)
- Familiar with web content best practices (preferred)
- Familiar with printing modes and conventions (preferred)
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
- BA in English, journalism, or communications (etc.) or relevant experience
- 3-5 years professional writing/editing experience
- Proficiency with the Chicago Manual of Style; familiarity with the AP Stylebook
- Professional project management experience
We fully recognize that the candidate who is best suited for this position may have additional creative talents – photography, video editing, interviewing skills, etc. Be sure to include that information; it may spark new ideas.
The John Marshall Law School offers a competitive salary and an excellent benefits package, including paid vacation, sick time, 401(k), and medical/dental benefits.
MINIMUM Salary: $45,000
HOW TO APPLY
Submit your cover letter, resume, and *writing samples*.
The John Marshall Law School is an EEO/ADA/FMLA compliant employer.
Must live in the Chicagoland area.