TIAA-CREF

TIAA-CREF United States Employee Reviews

Great company to work for
Contractor (Former Employee), Charlotte, NCSeptember 11, 2014
Pros: job growth
Cons: constant reorganizations
My experience started out great but during a reorganization, my assignment ended.
Too Many Chiefs, Not Enough Indians
Director, Enterprise Financial Crime (Current Employee), Charlotte, NCSeptember 2, 2014
Pros: pay
Cons: management, organization
Management is horrible. Complete chaos. Good Pay. Jobs not as described.
Great Mission
Senior Business Analyst (Former Employee), Charlotte, NCAugust 29, 2014
I like the mission and the purpose of the company and what it stands for. The Charlotte campus is also amazing.
I held three positions at TIAA CREF and am only going to discuss my role as Manager, General Ledger Operations
Manager, General Ledger Operations (Former Employee), Charlotte, NCAugust 21, 2014
Pros: great benefits
Directed a 10-person team responsible for closing cycle for the BASE and Statutory book code. Coordinated an achievement of a 4 day close cycle. Managed account reconciliations. Moved the New York work to Charlotte. Was part of the team that upgraded to PeopleSoft 9.0 General Ledger and developed best practices for the department. As part of the upgrade I identified and developed gap resolutions within the current process and also managed user acceptance testing for my department. The hardest part of my job was doing performance appraisals because they took up a great deal of my time. The most enjoyable part of my job was interacting with other departments to see if there was a way to make their use of the general ledger easier.
Great Career Starter
Financial Consultant (Current Employee), Denver, COAugust 19, 2014
Pros: free lunches, overtime pay, éco-pass
Cons: non-traditional schedule, commute
TIAA-CREF is a wonderful place to start a career. In addition to the downtown atmosphere, it is a progressive and caring employer. The people are what make the company. I have learned that retirement readiness is one of the biggest shortfalls in the United States. There are millions of people that do not have enough saved to transition out of employment.

The hardest part of the job is the amount of knowledge needed to really be a benefit to the membership. Management is willing to help, but the non-traditional hours of the call center make it difficult to maintain a healthy family life. TIAA-CREF is willing to compensate those that can work a difficult schedule.
Worst place I've worked at in a long time
UX Lead (Former Employee), NY, NC, MA, COAugust 14, 2014
Pros: great co-workers ( not management )
Cons: dishonesty, unrealistic timelines, extreme disorganization, unrealistic expectations, no grasp of reality, lying to clients, acts of obscure doings, lack of morals and ethics
As a UX Lead, do not expect to have much time to design, but you will be required to none the less. The UX Lead will be held responsible to do a mixture of jobs that are combined into one.

Those jobs include the following: UX Director, Project Manager, and Information Architect

This is what you will have to do, and you will have no choice, unless to quit or be let go. More than likely you will setup meetings all day, facilitate them and then report back to a director that really doesn't understand good design or what that even means. It's even worse if you're a contractor.

Management and Leadership have no clue what their doing. Not just in UX but the entire company as a whole. From Marketing, to Tech, to different lines of business. If they did, they would realize how horrible their process is and change it.

Apparently a major change has not been initiated due to the laziness of management. They know what needs to be changed, but won't because they can't actually lock down a great form of working habits, usually because they don't really work themselves.

If you are a worker bee of any kind: Business Analyst, Content Writer, Marketing Strategist, Developer, Ui/UX Designer or anything else that does not involve a management title... please steer clear of this place, unless of course you wish to waste your time running in circles.

There is no amount of money that I would ever accept in order to do this job again,
Not a bad culture, not too exciting either.
Technology Analsyt (Former Employee), New YorkAugust 13, 2014
Pros: good compensation
Cons: boring, old, slow culture.
Not much to complain about however if you do not find your own projects to latch onto you will have no work to do. Very drab, grey looking offices as well.
Great company to worked for to learn about retirement funds.
Sr. Benefits Representative (Former Employee), Denver, COAugust 9, 2014
Processing retirement payments as requested by the participant, via OMNI system. Managing retirees' request for their funds greatly enhanced my acknowledge of the payout of funds, as well as the tax implications.
Management had an open door policy to address company issues and concerns. Quarterly town halls meetings were held, would was greatly appreciated.
Keeping track of the thousands of complicated intuitions/universities plan rules was tough to commit to memory, thus, reviewing these rules was time consuming but very necessary.
Co-workers worked independently and showed a great deal of team work when a situation preceded itself, we didn't hesitate in helping each other.
Work was like a box of chocolates
Director, Business Integration (Current Employee), Charlotte, NCAugust 8, 2014
Pros: corporate values
Cons: long commute
Each day is unique, presenting it's own challenges and successes. I've learned the art of compromise and thoughtful risk, in addition to increased confidence when making decisions that touch our thousands of customers. The hardest part of this job is the constant pressure above the ideal threashold of stress.

Seeing the hard work pay off is the most enjoyable part of the day.
payout for pension plans
WEALTH MANAGEMENT REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee), Denver, COJuly 29, 2014
The job isn't very challenging but it pays market price. The process is very convoluted. The hardest part of the job is that others don't perform theirs.
great place to work
Manager, Administration (Former Employee), New York, New YorkJuly 24, 2014
excellent place to grow and be recognized. Learned to follow my dreams and ambition and worked with fabulous people.
TIAA-CREF provided a productive and culturally sound working environment.
Consultant - Financial/Investment Corporation (Current Employee), Charlotte, NCJuly 15, 2014
Pros: everyone was expected to be responsible, and to do their part. we all worked hard on the project.
Cons: the position/job ended at the completion of the project.
I looked forward to being at work each day. Each day presented you with tasks that were challenging, you had the resources to get the job done. Management was supportive of the projects as managers had an open door policy to help the project run smoothly. Criticisms were constructive and co workers were quite cooperative. Everyone's goal was to see that the project was successful. This made the job easy and a lot of fun.
Stable, Productive and Fun workplace
IT Project Manager (Former Employee), New York, NYJuly 10, 2014
Learnt a lot from my colleagues - was one of the best places where everyone was very supportive, helpful.
Great Workplace
UI Developer/Designer (Former Employee), Charlotte, NCJuly 8, 2014
Great management team.
Perfect vision and mission.
Well assigned teams.
Easy accessibility to all levels in the management.
great learning experience
Security Specialist/Administrative Asst (Former Employee), Charlotte, NCJuly 2, 2014
Pros: learning experience
Cons: lots of hours in consecutive days
A typical day at Tiaa-Cref was a very fast pace and intense job placement. I answered multiple phone lines, dispatched officers to appropriate locations, dealt with medical emergencies on a daily basis. I was Administrative Assistant to Corporate Security.
Productive, diversified, fun workplace, friendly atmosphere
Sr. Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), New York, NYJune 27, 2014
Pros: great benefits
Always busy, moving from one project to another. The atmosphere amongst co-workers was one of unity, respect each willing to help when needed to get a specific project completed. Management, though firm in seeing projects through was also notably considerate and helpful in giving clear guidance.
Very Nice place to work
ID3 Insurance Software -Senior ISeries Developer (Former Employee), Charlotte, NCJune 25, 2014
Professional environment. Excellent campus

a typical day at work
what you learned
management
your co-workers
the hardest part of the job
the most enjoyable part of the job
Great Environment Felt At Home
Mutual Fund Accountant-Finance Department (Former Employee), Manhattan, NYCJune 24, 2014
Pros: i felt like the employees were great as if they were my personal friends
Cons: the laid-back environment was abused by some of the employees
Working for TIAA-CREF was excellent! I felt like The employees and environment were very good to me. When I needed help there were there to the rescue! I love them I wish I never left! sometimes in life we make decisions that are not good, but we have to live with them Right.
Fast paced enivronment
Administrative Assistant/Office Manager (Former Employee), Lewisville, TXJune 11, 2014
Pros: great people and beneifts.
Cons: long hours and lots of turn over.
I was there from the time they moved to their facility. Worked lots of overtime supporting a lot of people. I felt appreciated at times but as the years rolled by, worked harder and was appreciated less.
Busy
Service Excellent Team (Former Employee), Lewisville, TXJune 6, 2014
Pros: the work enviorment
Cons: department was let go and hard to move around without a lincense
A typical work day for myself would be inbound call for varies things with investment backing for an unlicensed representive. With great management that work with you for advancement with becoming lincensed. The hardest part of the job was trying to become lincensed and not passing. The most enjoyable expereinece I had at the job was the enviorment.

About TIAA-CREF

TIAA-CREF is a Fortune 100 financial services organization with $481 billion in assets under management (as of 6/30/12). The firm – Read more

TIAA-CREF Salaries