TSA

TSA Employer Reviews

High alert job but not difficult..
Security Guard Officer (Former Employee), Newark, NJOctober 9, 2014
Pros: self fulfillment
Cons: short breaks
Perform security patrols of designated areas on foot. Watched for irregular or unusual conditions that may create security concerns or safety hazards. Checked bags and persons via machines and metal detectors. I learned that everything is not always as it seems management did now want to be bothered unless it was a security issue. Co-workers were friendly the most difficult part of the job is standing on your feet all day but you get used to it. The most enjoyable is knowing that you are keeping passengers safe.
Passenger and Bomb Screener
Baggage Screener (Former Employee), San Diego, CAOctober 7, 2014
Pros: keeping people safe, seeing new people everyday
Cons: hard on your body
Following the 9/11/01, the TSA was formed to provided screening at the nations airports to ensure passenger safety. I was the first group hired and trained to screen passengers and baggage for IED's(bombs).

I worked with passengers and with luggage to screen and clear all items going on board a plane for safety.

Would see thousands of people each and everyday and well as screen thousands of pieces of luggage everyday. Working quickly without room odor error was a everyday occurrence. I worked in the busiest airline in the airport and the pace was non-stop for up to 12 hours a day.

I enjoyed that i was able to keep the nations airways safe from terrorist attack.
Great Advancement Oppurtunities
Federal security officer (Former Employee), Kenner, LaSeptember 25, 2014
Working for the government is always a good thing, with the benefits. Management isn't always the best, but the security of the job was well worth it.
Love it.
Security Officer (Current Employee), Gulfport, MSSeptember 17, 2014
Protecting the general public and allowing them fly safely.
Productive And Fun Place to work at.
Service Desk Analyst (Current Employee), Bossier City, LASeptember 14, 2014
Productive And Fun Place to work at. You will experience new issues dailly with end users with helps you to become very knowledgeable on your job.
Productive and Professional
Transportation Security Officer (TSO) (Current Employee), Jamaica, NYSeptember 11, 2014
Department of Homeland Security (DHS), JFK Airport, Jamaica, N.Y Supervisor: Michal Burton .Hours worked: 40 weekly. Presently employed. Often called upon to perform the duties of an acting lead, I supervised security officers in the screening of outbound passengers and their carry on baggage prior to their entrance into the sterile area at JFK airport. I searched for and identify illegal prohibited, and dangerous items on passengers and their luggage, I supervised officers performing this task. I complied with federal laws and regulations regarding passenger and carry-on baggage screening . I confirmed the accuracy of travel documents tactfully, yet firmly I handled irate passengers in their non-adherence to federal laws all the while ensuring their compliance to federal policy. I educated the flying community concerning TSA restrictions concerning prohibited items. I performed lane assignments of TSO’s, scheduled lane breaks for TSO’s , I determined resolutions to x-ray threats and ETD alarms, ensured lane rotations were accomplished, I resolved passenger disputes, I documented manning , wait time and passenger count to be inputted into the PMIS system, I maintained proper records of daily reports, and I filed incident reports in a timely manner, I determined the threat level of Improvised Modified Electronics (IME’s) and responded accordingly, I tracked equipment outages, I maintained proper records of daily reports. I was often called upon to perform additional screening functions which is now known as “Ref Plays.” I screened passengers at their departure gates, I found – more... prohibited items that were missed at the checkpoint, I watch for passenger behavioral anomalies and documented them accordingly. Working with the Terminal Training Liaison, I participated in facilitations terminal training by being a member of a training team, and I assist the terminal training liaison in overseeing the team’s actions to ensure that the terminal training needs were met. I am a certified (C.D.S.O) collateral duty safety officer – less
Behavior Specialist (Current Employee), Odessa, TXSeptember 8, 2014
•Conducts BDA Program duties at assigned airport(s) or other transportation terminals providing commercial service to the public.
•Engages in voluntary encounters and casual conversations with individuals to analyze and assess behaviors and refers individuals for additional screening when criteria is met.
•Develops baseline data which includes identifying flight destinations, understanding the anticipated composition of travelers associated with the flights, behaviors to be expected, and deviations from those behaviors.
•Assesses multiple individuals simultaneously and uses defined methods to detect unusual behavior. Exercises sound judgment while performing passive observation.
•Determines when behaviors have been resolved based on the completion of Behavior Detection Referral Screening.
•Verifies appropriate checkpoint procedures are followed if prohibited items or hazardous materials are discovered during a referral.
•Documents identified behaviors used as the basis for referrals.
•Prepares incident reports when law enforcement is involved.
•Ensures that superiors are aware of all ongoing activities.
•Participates in Playbook Plays and joint law enforcement assignments such as Visible Intermodal Prevention Response (VIPR). May participate in National Special Security Events (NSSE).
•Responds to breaches of security and/or emergency situations; taking appropriate steps to prevent entry to secure areas.
•Utilizes computer hardware and software to create documents and report information in the appropriate format.
•Operates equipment as assigned, e.g. cell phone, radio, etc.
•May be required to perform Transportation Security Officer (TSO) duties, as assigned.
Supervisor:
n/a
Homeland Security Transportation Security Officer (Current Employee), San Diego, CASeptember 7, 2014
Pros: great benefits, great stepping stone job, diverse mixture of employees, night deffrential, friendly people
Cons: management, constant short staffing, stressful at times, rude passengers, hard to get days off, constant testing, constant rotation of supervisors, constant payroll misshaps
Aside from the great diverse people you come across on a day to day basis, the only good thing I can say at this point is the benefits are great.
Good starting point
Transportation Security Officer (Current Employee), Arlington, VASeptember 1, 2014
Good place to start out to advance your career. Get in get your work done and there will be plenty of advancement opportunities. Just don't be lazy and complain about not moving if you are not taking the initiative.
TSA hass no activities except outside of work
Security Screener Officer (Current Employee), Miami, FLAugust 25, 2014
Pros: tsa has some of the best benifits i have ever seen.
Cons: i spend to much time in the airport.
I get to work an hour early everyday,i eat breakfast and relax a little while,i clock in and sit through an Inbreafing then i go to work. Ive learned a lot when it comes to what i can and can not do.If you show respect for managment you can expect the same in return even if you disagree on something it can be said with respect and you can sometimes find common ground. My coworkers are fine people and those who are not is fine by me,all you have to do is be polite and respectful and you can make it through the day even with the hardest of personalitys. The shift because i work from 12 till 8:30 so it seems like i spend the whole day there. The most enjoyable time for me is just before the debreafing when you get to unwind and talk with the other TSOs.
Productive at times
BDA Manager (Current Employee), Reno, NVAugust 23, 2014
Pros: networking with security and law enforcement professionals
Cons: no leadership at local level
10 to 9 hour work days are fine. The most enjoyable part of the job are the Officers I manage and work with. The hardest part of the job is increasing the size of my team.
Great start to a government career.
Security Officer (Former Employee), jfkAugust 20, 2014
Pros: good pay, good benefits.
Cons: stressful environment
TSA is a great job for anyone wanting to step up in the government area. You can always branch to another agency within the government. So days are easier than others, you meet a lot of different people. Working in the airport is very diverse. Managers are managers. The hardest part of this job is dealing with irate passengers or difficult passengers. Passengers that do not agree with tsa.
Fun place to work.
Security Screener - Team Lead (Former Employee), Newark, NJAugust 16, 2014
I enjoyed working for TSA because everyday was different and the support system was very good.
Workplace
Transportation Security Officer (Former Employee), Jamaica, NYAugust 15, 2014
Pros: time i started work
Cons: pay
A typical day at work started at 4 am for me which was great, I found management to have favoritism. I enjoyed the job and would have stayed but the pay only paid for the commute so I had to leave.
I enjoyed working with the many people I met daily and enjoyed the job.
just bad real bad
Transportation Security Officer (Former Employee), Newark, NJAugust 11, 2014
horrible. do not work here, bad management. too much negativity. coworkers act like the enemy
EXCELLENT CUSTOMER SERVICE AND GREAT LEADERSHIP
Program Analyst / Technical Support (Current Employee), Arlington, VAAugust 6, 2014
Pros: early dismissals
Cons: working during lunch
My typical work day consist of providing technical support and managing special projects such as DHS technology refresh. My leadership has help me strengthen my management skills and concur my high expectation. I am a great team player and work well with my team and office. The hardest part of my job is to explain to a a employee that my office is unsure of their decision which sometimes cause frustrations. The most enjoyable part of the job is that I learn something new everyday and my office provides opportunities to obtain certifications.
To protect America's transportation
Transportation Security Officer (Former Employee), Denver, COAugust 6, 2014
Most of what I did was confidential. CoWorkers are great, opportunites to lead and manage are there if you step up.
Constantly interacting with people
Sceening Officer (Former Employee), Atlanta, GAJuly 25, 2014
Pros: various avenues for growth
Cons: alot of early mornings
While employed with the TSA I constantly interacted with people. Inspecting luggage and passengers. Directing passenger traffic as well as answering any questions that passengers may have had. Keeping close watch on passengers items while passengers were being screened. Kept my co-workers abreast of any changes that may have taken place. Maintained break schedules and ensured all paperwork was entered into the computer system on a daily basis.
Good Place to Work
Transportation Security Officer (Current Employee), Shreveport, LAJuly 24, 2014
Good job to work for if you are just starting off working for the federal goverment
A very fast paced and customer service skills required
Transportation Security Officer (Former Employee), SeaTac, WAJuly 22, 2014
Pros: job security as long as you can pass a test every year
Cons: promise of promotion, but there is none if you are light duty, paint a pretty pic but job is really worse then what they say, treatment of the public isn't always pretty
many different shifts from full time to part time. High volume of screening majority of the time. some down time that's when you take advantages of any training or refresh your training you may need. Challenges are people and coworkers plus management. Not all supported or backed you up. Some people were back stabbers and didn't care if they stepped on you to get a position. favoritism was there and you could see it that came from upper management to lower levels.

Rules constantly changing, or lingo used. many supervisors were not on same page makes it a challenging work environment. Working a lot of hours made it difficult to obtain family time or weekends off.

About TSA

The Teaching Supply Agency: Is a specialist Education recruitment Agency. We specialise in the placement of high quality education – Read more