Taco John's Employee Reviews

Excellent place to work. Love the owners.
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Mason City, IASeptember 27, 2016
TacoJohns in Mason City is privately owned by Rick and Lorene. Excellent employers. I have worked for them forever. They are flexible with time offs if needed, etc. Clean and fully stocked when I am in charge of the front lobby area. I believe it is important for the customers to see a clean restaurant when first coming in with excellent customer service all the way until they leave the restaurant. Calling our customers by their first name AND remembering them is VERY important to me. And the customers seem to appreciate the extra friendly service. I have been recruited by other stores BECAUSE of my outgoing, friendly customer service.
Pros
TacoJohns feels like a family and not just employees.
Cons
No benefits
Good people but no chance of going anywhere
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Grand Island, NEFebruary 7, 2017
The job was the same everyday with no opportunity for advancement and no benefits. The general manager is great but the job isn't worth it. You are overworked and underpaid.
Pros
Half price food while you work
Cons
No benefits no advancement.
Fun place to work
Cook/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Council Bluffs IowaJanuary 8, 2017
Meet new people every day. Face pace. Many positions to move around to so your not doing the same thing every day. The hardest part would be trying to up during the lunch rush and orders are accurate and on time.
Pros
Half price meals
Cons
Benefits/advancements
Ok place to work for, people are nice
Crew Member (Current Employee) –  Lawrence, KSJanuary 23, 2017
A typical day consists of working hard, dealing with customers, taking orders, lifting boxes, and learning how to be productive. I enjoy learning and staying busy and keeping on track, being on time, and meeting new people. My job is boring at times but I keep myself busy and work really hard.
Pros
Nice people
Cons
Not good benefits
Fun enviorment to work at
Food Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Casper, WYNovember 3, 2016
I feel like they could make their hard working employees happier. Instead of hiring new people at 9$ they can give their employs that been with them a raise. They only will give you a raise if you choose to leave them.
Pros
Good co-workers
i was hired on as a shift supervisor i got one raise in 4 1/2 yrs
Shift Supervisor/Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Great Falls, MTNovember 1, 2016
I felt I didn't have anywhere to go from the supervisor because they went thru 20 managers in the time I was there benefits were good but poorest ran restaurant Ive ever worked for
Pros
easy work
Cons
bad management
nice place to work for kids
Cashier/Cook (Current Employee) –  Madisonville, KYNovember 11, 2016
very upbeat and busy place to work, does not offer any kind of benefits but it is very fast paced and good work experience to learn how to deal with people on a daily basis.
Pros
fast paced
Cons
short breaks, no raises
Very upbeat and fast paced work enviornment
Shift Manager (Former Employee) –  Cheyenne, WYJanuary 11, 2017
If you're looking for a fast paced job and upbeat work enviornment I recommend Taco John's. I would recommend this as a part time job as a downside to this job is if you're really trying to move forward in training, and possible position advancement, it doesn't really happen very fast, or within the time guarenteed. Tried to get my food safety certification done for my management position and pushed for it to happen, even contacted my district manager directly and it never happened in the entire time (1yr.) I had worked for the company. Also have a hard time working with your personal schedule if you are not in school or do not have proof of necessary changing to your schedule.
Pros
Nice friendly enviornment overall
Cons
Not very promissing in advancement for pay or positions
Busy
Night Manager (Former Employee) –  Hardin, MTSeptember 6, 2016
Good team and management. Strong work ethic background. They need to focus on speed. The wait time for customers is too long. It costs them several hundred dollars a day.
Pros
compensation
Cons
busy
Closely knit and supportive teammates
Shift leader (Former Employee) –  Oakwood Mall, Eau Claire, WIFebruary 10, 2017
The location itself is very friendly and accepting. I felt a very close bond with the general manager and other shift leaders. The crew and atmosphere define the word "team," and the district manager visited regularly to the point where I had a positive relationship with him. Despite it being food service in a mall, it has been my favorite job so far.
Pros
Understanding management, willing to work with schedule, room for advancement
Cons
Smells like grease all the time, typical rude customers
Terrible store
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Topeka, KSFebruary 14, 2017
I got hired on as crew at the Taco Johns here in Topeka, KS. Then I moved my way up to a supervisor (which they can all their supervisors managers.) Then I put in my two weeks and to make me stay I got a promotion as general manager. Worst idea ever was for me to take this promotion at this location. The owners were never there to check on the store and the area manager of the one Topeka store worked 15 hours a week if I was lucky. She called in half her shifts. In other words she got all the pay while I did all the work. And the crew was even worse, had no respect for any of the managers because the other higher ups never did anything to pull their weight in work. Decided I couldn't change the whole store around by myself so I quit and got a different job. And I have to say this new job is 100% better!
Pros
Cons
Terrible store
fun to work
Manager (Current Employee) –  Willmar, MNAugust 28, 2016
Easy job not hard. Fun place to work. No benefits of other free food to some stressful job. Work to much. Not enough time off. General manager sucks. Always gone and leaves me to do everything.
Ok environment
Manager (Former Employee) –  Marshall, MNNovember 28, 2016
Ok work environment to gain some experience. Promises made for advancement weren't quite as they seemed when first entering the job field. Other than lack of opportunity or expected eventual pay it was a good learning opportunity. The hardest part of the job was the turn over rate or people not showing up for work. The most enjoyable part of the job was the people I worked that came there on time every time. The thing I learned most was when to cut people when the sales slowed down to keep our profits going. When the sales went down hourly everyday I told people to go home but planned ahead for events such as homecoming at the college in town. If I expected an increase in sales even thought there was 1 slow hour it wouldnt necessarily mean they were gone but I also learned how to prepare for the slow hours and while I had time and the man power I got the tasks that needed attention finished.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
High turnover
Taco Johns Work Summary
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Cody, WYFebruary 9, 2017
A typical day at work included taking orders, mopping, sweeping, expediting, drive through, closing, cooking, prepping, and customer service. I learned a lot of my people skills and customer service skills in this job. The management was okay. The hardest part of the job was keeping up with work coworkers would not do on their own. The most enjoyable part of the job was closing the store. The closing crew I worked with was a fabulous crew. This was a fast food job though so I don't think there were a lot of things I learned and took with me to my next job, except for the customer service part of it.
Nice workplace
Cook/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Lamar, COJanuary 10, 2017
It was a good first job. This is not a career I would like to work for the rest of my life. It helped me learn to work with people and customers. The management could have been better and the employees under more control.
ok work experience
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Salina, KSFebruary 1, 2017
While working at Taco John's I acquired superb customer service skills and was able to enhance my ability to multitask. I enjoyed working with others and being able to provide great service to our customers. I feel as though Taco Johns could have had a stronger management team and provided enhancement opportunities, however it was a great stepping stone.
Pros
Discounted food
Cons
Not enough hours
Good place to work when there is teamwork
Crew Member/Supervisor/Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Monona, WIJanuary 8, 2017
I enjoyed the environment and atmosphere while working at Taco Johns. The food is excellent quality than that of their counterparts and the People that were in charge were excellent to work with.

As of lately the Monona Location has a high turn over rate of people that work there so the quality has been fluctuating. I enjoyed making the food. Having good customer service and teamwork is key to excellent customer and employee relationships.

The best part of the job was making the food and having people come back specifically for you to make their food again. The hardest part of the job I would say is when a co-worker isn't doing their part within the team.

A typical day at work was a breeze as my job was easy especially when it came to making food and dealing with customers in a professional and courteous manner while giving them the best that we could.
Pros
Free meal and 50% off when not working. Great food and environment.
Cons
A starter job unless you move up to the highest position, and as of right now the turnover rate is high.
Fun workplace
Assistant Manager, Aug (Current Employee) –  Billings, MTMay 2, 2016
I really enjoy Taco Johns its just not a lifelong goal. I would keep drive thru times down and really enjoyed cooking. I loved seeing the customers face when I handed out their food quickly.
Pros
Easy to learn and the employees were fun.
Cons
Benefits and pay.
A good place and good people to work with.
Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Aberdeen, SDNovember 2, 2016
My work at Taco John's taught a lot of things like, how to work fast-pace, and how to have better communication. I've managed to learn how to make the food, bag the food, properly wrap it, be polite and smile when handing the customer the order because they are the ones keeping us in business.
My co-workers were the best. When I would have a bad day, they would always manage to bring me up and keep me working. The hardest part of the job was honestly making the food and keeping up because there was a lot to remember but i was getting better at it. The most enjoyable part of the job was working drive-thru, and just working there in general.
Pros
Half off the food
Cons
Had 15 minute breaks
fast paced , well rounded and enjoyable environment.
Handling and promoting sales (Former Employee) –  Greeley, COJanuary 5, 2017
Working at Taco Johns I opened the store weekly and got the store ready for the day. My responsibilities included counting the drawers and safe for the day, making sure the cash was correct and white its supposed to be. I managed a team from 5-8 people. I dealt and handled customer complaints.I had the store clean properly and above store standards. I worked great with other people the employees on my shifts always were in a great mood and enjoyed working as a team. The hardest part of the team is wanting to

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Taco John's. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8