Tacoma-Pierce County Health Department Employee Reviews

Kind people with little room for personal advancement
Volunteer Intern (Current Employee) –  Tacoma, WAAugust 10, 2016
I have gotten to know a number of people throughout departments who have all proven to be kind and hard working. However, there is little/no room for people to move up or laterally (from personal experience and what my mentors have hinted at). There is little funding available so workers are forced to do too much work for too little money. The building is small and outdated and there is little work space.
Dedicated to improve and protect the health and well-being of the citizens of Pierce County.
Grants and Contracts Specialist (Former Employee) –  37th and Pacific AvenueJanuary 22, 2015
My typical day at work involved working with public health trained professionals in our department. Our basic activities involved contracting with local community based organizations, nonprofits and schools, doing chronic disease prevention, physical activity, nutrition and anti-tobacco projects.

I learned that many of our contractors needed a substantial amount of assistance to comply with the terms and obligations in our contracts.

Overall, my management and co-workers were very supportive of each other and supported our mutual efforts to improve the health and well-being of the people in Pierce County.

The hardest part of the work was the limited funding.

The best part of the job was seeing people in the community work hard to improve the health of their constitutents.
The people are great, and the organization is moving in the right direction.
program manager (Current Employee) –  Tacoma, WADecember 11, 2014
This is a great place if you enjoy working toward the department's vision of healthy people in healthy communities. Everyone here is truly dedicated.
Pros
Good people with good hearts, great benefits (e.g., vacation and health care), good work culture
Cons
Lots of work to do
Forward looking Public Health
Administrative Assistant III (Current Employee) –  Tacoma, WAJune 6, 2014
It is a great place to work. If the commute wasn't so long and the buses about to be cut, I would not be trying to leave.
Pros
Everyone here really works hard to be part of the solution
Cons
Sometimes ego's get in the way of doing the job right
Great place but laid off due to budget cuts
Public Health Nurse (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WAFebruary 8, 2014
Great place to work and fun people. Fun to work at and lots of learning and workshops.
Pros
Great management
Cons
budget cuts
Public Sector Employment
Administrative (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WAMay 22, 2012
Department is focused on "Health People in Healthy Communities." Prevention focused. Enjoyed working with staff. Enjoyed providing service to internal and external customers.
Pros
excellent compensation and benefits 8-5 mon-fri
Cons
lack of upward mobility