Tacoma Community College

Tacoma Community College Employer Reviews

Lots of Turnover
Vice President of Finance for Students (Former Employee), Tacoma, WAJuly 17, 2014
The turnover is to be expected due to the fact that it is a community College. Some mangers in the past have been intense micro mangers and have not done a great job helping students balance work and school.
A typical TCC Day
IT Specialist 3- Network (Current Employee), Tacoma, WAJuly 5, 2014
My TCC day starts out reviewing logs and taking actions of any alerts. If no actions are needed, I move on to my Helpdesk queue and resolve those tickets in a timely matter. Once those are done, I jump right into my project(s) and work with internal and external parties to ensure Quality of Service from end to end.
Productive and fun workplace
TUTOR & CLERICAL (Current Employee), Tacoma, WAJune 11, 2014
Pros: great way to network within your career field, you become flexible and creative when faced with various tasks
Cons: limited availability of hours (20 or less a week), pay is minimum wage
The work environment is fun, professional, and semi-laid back. My co-workers were diverse, great people. We were aloud to work together, independently, and we were not micro-managed. Our ideas were regarded and we received a lot of praise from the business professors. The hardest part of the job is staying on one task when you have the ability to bounce – more... around and help people. The most enjoyable part is seeing students that you tutored graduate, or all the thanks and appreciate comments you receive. – less
Supplemental Instructor (TA) experience
Supplemental Instructor (Current Employee), Tacoma, WAJune 3, 2014
Pros: everything
Cons: training seminars can be a little brutal, not a full time job
Working as a supplemental instructor gave me the choice of being a teacher after college. Supplemental Instructor (SI) really made my experience at TCC the best. Mae Stephenson who is the most personable supervisor who really cares about her team was a great pleasure to work with. Working with the SI group and peers was easily the best decision I made – more... while at TCC, where I got the opportunity to build on the foundation of my academic career, work with a diverse and extremely entertaining group of people whom I am happy to say that I still talk and hang out with regularly today. The SI program isn't just a social gathering though but a fantastic building block and experience. – less
An energetic academic atmospher
Continuing Education Assistant & Student Registrar (Former Employee), Tacoma, WAMay 27, 2014
Pros: high energy work environment
Cons: no negatives
This was a job of many tasks and one day was not like the last. There was a lot of student interaction and involvement with instructors which made this job very interesting.

You assisted instructors in assembling course materials and maintained the class rosters. I gained a knowledge of the course materials and was able to talk to the prospective students – more... about the course requirements and subject matter.

Nothing too difficult here if you are able to prioritize tasks and be mindful of detail. – less
Fun and enjoyable workplace.
Work Study (Former Employee), Tacoma, WAMarch 31, 2014
The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to experience the intensity of the crowd and learning about different sports.
Fun with the other sudents
Student Worker (Former Employee), Gig Harbor, WAMarch 22, 2014
They really encouraged personal growth as this was a work study position.
productive work place
Teacher's Assistant- English Lab (Former Employee), Tacoma, WAFebruary 18, 2014
It was a great place to work at because of the management and co-workers.
Learned to work with people whose primary language is not English
assist students, check out resources
Front Desk Assistant (Former Employee), Tacoma, WANovember 21, 2013
answer phones, schedule tests for students per the instructor
Rewarding work with interesting people
Head Tutor (Current Employee), Tacoma, WANovember 10, 2013
Pros: secure, dependable pay
Cons: limited hours
Tutoring is a fun job, but it's even more fun when the people you're tutoring are invested in their education. I am now in my fourth year as a tutor at Tacoma Community College's Writing and Tutoring Center. Tutoring is a line of work that will teach you a lot about yourself and others.
A Fun Work Place
Security (Former Employee), Tacoma, WAAugust 16, 2013
Pros: free lunches
Cons: job was only for a month
A typical day at work at Tacoma Community college (TCC) was maintenance, fixing up the campus for the up coming quarter. I learned many things while working at (TCC) learned how to work with others to get a job done. And Also how to work in hard conditions.
The hardest part of the job was the weather some days were hot some were rainy. The best part – more... of the job was the lunch break the boss would usually get it for us. – less
Learned a lot
Instructor (Current Employee), Tacoma, WAAugust 2, 2013
Flexible schedule, valuable learning opportunities on instructional planning.
Gained much practical experience and knowledge.
Paid intern for the Registered Nursing Program (Former Employee), Tacoma, WAJune 19, 2013
the job while providing relatively low income offered an diverse amount of experience that spanned several fields. An emphasis upon science,office and customer service.
Fun loving work environment
Event Coordinator (Former Employee), Tacoma, WAMay 27, 2013
It was the best job I had with good team spirit environment and good advisors
Routine and fun
Custodian- I (Former Employee), Tacoma, WAApril 15, 2013
I enjoyed the time I spent there as a PT employee. The hardest part of the job was dealing with a constant high call in rate on Sundays.
Exciting and fun workplace
Human Resource Specialist (Former Employee), Tacoma, WAJanuary 11, 2013
A typical day at work involved working with students, interviewing for open positions and daily instructor critiques
Gratifying and Challenging
Front Office Clerk (Former Employee), Gig Harbor, WAOctober 16, 2012
Pros: working with people that care
Cons: part-time position, economically strained, laid off after three months
A typical day at work begins with turning all the lights, computers, and setting up the bookstore register, and unlocking the classrooms that are scheduled to be utilized. Next, logging into computer programs that are most likely to be accessed on a typical day that meets the needs of students updating accounts, paying tuitions, purchasing books, or – more... crediting printing accounts. Also, the programs necessary to help high schools students so that they may be able to register for fresh start assessments, and high school graduates planning to register for college.

Furthermore, a typical day would also involve setting advising appointments according to schedule openings for teachers, advisors, and students using Microsoft Outlook, provide notification of class cancellations and changes that may occur. Making copies, send faxes, and communicating with many of the institutions depts to answer student questions as well to ensure proper procedural standards are being upheld while submitting official information.

Lastly, providing students with the books available from the mini bookstore and operating a cash register to complete transactions made in cash, check, or credit cards. Keeping inventory of supplies for sale, books sold, and books still available. This look into the typical day is still missing several tasks duties, and responsibilities, however, the Gig Harbor campus works both with and independantly from the main campus to assist student in acquiring the high quality of services Tacoma Community College provides to accomplish their academic goals and ensure their future success into the future. – less
Interactive
Office Assistant (Current Employee), Tacoma, WAJuly 24, 2012
There is always something to be excited about and look forward to. Conversating with teachers and informing fellow students are a daily task I find comforting. Everyone has respect for one another and never steps on anyones toes. I have really enjoyed working here and feel sad that I have to leave it. I have learned how to time manage, set weekly assignments – more... and be proficient in my excel and word documents. – less
Well managed teams, Good communication among co-workers
Custodian (Former Employee), Tacoma, WAJune 9, 2012
Pros: made alot of new friends, and learned new skills
Cons: long shifts, graveyard, and shortness of co-workers almost daily
At the first of our shift we would all meet in the main custodial building and wait untill everyone would arrive for there shifts and the ones who didn't show up for work we would work together as team mates and get all the work done. We would get directed into teams of two or more people and go off to our building and work the night aways making sure – more... all the things were done for the next day. A few things I learned woring at TCC was deatail cleaning with things I would have necer noticed or thought about cleaning that I use every day in my own home. I also learned as much communication among other team mates no matter if its just the little things makes a difference, makes your shift go smoother and overall helps not only yourself but teamates at the end of the day. The most enjoyable part of my day was when we do our final walk through of the buiding to make sure everything was locked, secured, and done right. That was my favorite part because I got to see My work, my team mates work and knowing that we did a good job made me feel better leaving at the end of our shift. – less