Tacoma Community College Employee Reviews

Worked for the job assistant center and different assistant positions while going to school.
Program Specialist- Work Source (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WAJanuary 19, 2016
I really liked working for Tacoma Community College. I worked for them while I was going to school there. It was a lot of fun and I learned a lot while working there.
Pros
Learned differnt skills
Cons
not enough hours
Belief in students
Academic Advisor (Current Employee) –  Tacoma, WAOctober 3, 2015
There is a strong belief in students at this institution. It is all about the students and not the staff. They provide a lot of support for student success. The campus is beautiful. There a great number of very caring individuals who work and teach at the institution.
Daily duties
Public Safety Officer (Current Employee) –  Tacoma, WASeptember 10, 2015
I patrol campus on a ATV-which is fun to drive on any surface-
We also have 40 acres of wooded area, which we patrol.
I also patrol parking lots and ticket illegal parking individuals.
I enforce city, state, federal regulations. Fun part is my daily job of walking amongst the people who work and attend this college and talking to all.
Pros
Freedom of movement-no micromanagement
Cons
NO real way to advance.
An interesting place to work
Student President (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WAAugust 20, 2015
A college is an unusual and chaotic place to work, but it is very satisfying. I would work there again if there was a bit more stability.
Student at TCC
Network Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WAJuly 9, 2015
Its very good that provides supportive teachers. Love the schools scenery great staff on campus; therefore, its is a great place to meet new friends and old friends too.
Excellent Campus and People
eLearning Help Desk (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WAMarch 24, 2015
I loved working here and would love to come back. I moved to Los Angeles! The people I met I've created long lasting friendships with. Working here and going to college here was one of the greatest times of my life. I will never forget my time at Tacoma Community College.
Pros
excellent team and wonderful place to work
Cons
this was a work study job
Office Assistant
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WAJanuary 15, 2015
I greeted students when they enter the office, I typed voucher for different vendor in Tacoma, WA. I archived old documents and created new files on the computer for the following year. I filed, scanned document, faxed.
Always something new to do everyday but there was no job security
Biology Department Laboratory Technician (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WAJanuary 12, 2015
A typical day at work involved maintaining the salmon aquaria by performing water quality tests and adjustments. Each day I helped the lead lab technician set up for biology laboratory classes by either setting up lab supplies, calibrating sensors, and/or preparing reagents. I was able to touch up on proper laboratory techniques and guidelines to ensure accurate results. The management was absolutely wonderful, very personable and compassionate about education as well as understanding when I had to move on to grow in my field of interest. My co-workers were comprised of a mixture of students and others hired externally (such as myself). They were always supportive in training and willing to offer a helping hand when needed. Overall, everyone was enthused about the position and had awesome attitudes. The hardest part of the job was the largest part of the position and involved a lot of critical thinking. An evaluation of the entire biology department was performed and together we brainstormed and implemented more efficient ways of running things. This was not an unexpected aspect of the position as it is a common thing for workers in the field of science to test innovative ideas to further advance efficiency and better results. Even though this was the hardest part it was also the most enjoyable because it was challenging. The few reasons for the 3 star rating are because the position was a temporary one and existing only as long as there was funding for it. So any week could have been my last. The pay could have also been higher for the level of experience I brought to the workplace  more... especially since my maximum time of work per week could not exceed 14 hours. Despite the downfalls, the position was definitely worth it and was a success as the stepping stone to my next position.  less
Pros
great attitudes and as the use for a stepping stone
Cons
little hours and pay not so great
Good place
Chemistry Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WADecember 15, 2014
Its a nice and good study place where you can gain good education and skills.they renovate buildings and also build recently new building for health department. its close to free way and easy to access.
Good job enviroment
Student Support and Information Systems Staff (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WAOctober 25, 2014
Working for Information Systems department of Tacoma Community College is one of my favorite job when I got a work-study position to help troubleshooting, maintenance and replace for computer systems at this school. Everyone in this department is friendly and helps new staff improving their IT skills.
Very fun and loving place to work.
temp. work (Former Employee) –  tacoma, wa.September 8, 2014
I loved all my coworkers even my boss and the students and I loved the environment I was in.
Cons
it was only while i was in school.
Lots of Turnover
Vice President of Finance for Students (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WAJuly 17, 2014
The turnover is to be expected due to the fact that it is a community College. Some mangers in the past have been intense micro mangers and have not done a great job helping students balance work and school.
A typical TCC Day
IT Specialist 3- Network (Current Employee) –  Tacoma, WAJuly 5, 2014
My TCC day starts out reviewing logs and taking actions of any alerts. If no actions are needed, I move on to my Helpdesk queue and resolve those tickets in a timely matter. Once those are done, I jump right into my project(s) and work with internal and external parties to ensure Quality of Service from end to end.
Productive and fun workplace
TUTOR & CLERICAL (Current Employee) –  Tacoma, WAJune 11, 2014
The work environment is fun, professional, and semi-laid back. My co-workers were diverse, great people. We were aloud to work together, independently, and we were not micro-managed. Our ideas were regarded and we received a lot of praise from the business professors. The hardest part of the job is staying on one task when you have the ability to bounce around and help people. The most enjoyable part is seeing students that you tutored graduate, or all the thanks and appreciate comments you receive.
Pros
great way to network within your career field, you become flexible and creative when faced with various tasks
Cons
limited availability of hours (20 or less a week), pay is minimum wage
An energetic academic atmospher
Continuing Education Assistant & Student Registrar (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WAMay 27, 2014
This was a job of many tasks and one day was not like the last. There was a lot of student interaction and involvement with instructors which made this job very interesting.

You assisted instructors in assembling course materials and maintained the class rosters. I gained a knowledge of the course materials and was able to talk to the prospective students about the course requirements and subject matter.

Nothing too difficult here if you are able to prioritize tasks and be mindful of detail.
Pros
high energy work environment
Cons
no negatives
Fun and enjoyable workplace.
Work Study (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WAMarch 31, 2014
The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to experience the intensity of the crowd and learning about different sports.
Fun with the other sudents
Student Worker (Former Employee) –  Gig Harbor, WAMarch 22, 2014
They really encouraged personal growth as this was a work study position.
productive work place
Teacher's Assistant- English Lab (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WAFebruary 18, 2014
It was a great place to work at because of the management and co-workers.
Learned to work with people whose primary language is not English
assist students, check out resources
Front Desk Assistant (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WANovember 21, 2013
answer phones, schedule tests for students per the instructor
Rewarding work with interesting people
Head Tutor (Current Employee) –  Tacoma, WANovember 10, 2013
Tutoring is a fun job, but it's even more fun when the people you're tutoring are invested in their education. I am now in my fourth year as a tutor at Tacoma Community College's Writing and Tutoring Center. Tutoring is a line of work that will teach you a lot about yourself and others.
Pros
secure, dependable pay
Cons
limited hours

4.2