Tacoma Goodwill Industries

Tacoma Goodwill Industries Employer Reviews

Horrible workplace
Cashier (Former Employee), Federal Way, WAJune 19, 2014
Employees are never professional the managers and supervisors are not either.
Worst Job I ever had
Production Assistant/ Customer Service (Former Employee), Tacoma, WAMay 15, 2014
Pros: i was able to add to my nonprofit business skills.
Cons: everything else
Punitive management, Unrealistic expectations, Slave driving and disrespect for workers. Too many rules to keep people from doing something wrong also kept people from doing anything above and beyond. The management did not work together well. They pitted the employees against each other. They started rumors about employees and then even planted a spy – more... in the break room which would go and tattle to the managers about anything they felt they wanted to. The Goodwill functions as "transitional employment or so we were told and not to expect to move forward in the company."

Over the span of a year, a good team that was excited and worked well together, were let go or bullied to quit.

I sometimes hesitate to put the Goodwill on my resume but I do because I have nothing to be ashamed of. I worked hard for the Goodwill and was kind to my coworkers and participated with interest in any meeting, training, or activity I was asked to. I endured everything to the end. I was not even formally separated from the organization. They just stopped giving me work hours.

The Goodwill is just not a professional organization.

It was great at first as we had different management. I got a feeling of belonging and experienced team work as we set up a new store.On opening day it was such a pleasure to see the lines of people go around the building. – less
Great place to work/ creating jobs for others
Donation Supervisor (Current Employee), Tacoma, WashingtonNovember 25, 2013
Take care of donation sites, keep them maintained and supplied. Do payroll for employees.Do furniture and other donation pickups with a 27 foot box truck.First line of management in our department.I really enjoy working closely with the public and meeting so many interesting people. I am very well a people person with strong customer service skills.
Great... if you need a job fast
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee), Centralia, WANovember 24, 2013
Pros: they hire pretty much everyone and the work is simple
Cons: part time, no raises, rarely is there an opportunity for advancement, unhappy environment
Only offer part time and encourage you to find another job.
They offer vacation time after a year of employment but they don't offer benefits unless you make full time (which they don't offer)
The work its self is not difficult but everyone is unhappy and that makes it hard to be happy yourself.
They also advertise that they will help you find better – more... employment because the bosses get a bonus if you find a better job but rarely do they do anything to help you find a job. – less
Family type atmosphere
Forklift, customer service, warehouse management (Former Employee), Tacoma, WANovember 20, 2013
Pros: no stress and you get to help people
Shifts were not always the same but the work day for the shop was between 8 am and 10 pm. I learned a lot about customer service and the management was friendly and helpful. Co-workers were friendly. There was nothing hard about the job and it was enjoyable because there was no stress and we were helping people.
friendly and open atmosphere with a sense of caring of others
Supervisor/Sales Lead (Former Employee), Bonney Lake, WAJune 14, 2013
Pros: flexible hours, day job (close at 9pm), friendly but professional atmosphere
Cons: lower salary, no raises, advancement opportunities lacking or take awhile to transpire
A typical day at work for a supervisor would be checking emails for job assignments, meeting with the store manager or assistant manager for job assignments, and managing the cashiers and donations attendants to achieve goals and serve customers to support the Goodwill mission.
Always something to do in a short amount of time
Cashier/Customer Service/Stocker (Former Employee), Auburn, WAJune 9, 2013
Pros: always an opportunity for extra hours, lockers in the break room
Cons: short breaks, half hour lunches, mostly employs part-time.
Typically when I got on my shift I would count in my register and do any special tasks the supervisors needed me to do such as: picking up clothes, and organizing the store to make it look nice for customers, putting clothes away and other items to the shelves, cleaning and/or stocking bathrooms when needed, pulled expired items off of shelves, and – more... sometimes helped in the back with loading/unloading of product or helping with the donation center all while still providing customer service to any customer that may have a question or demand. If I was the lead cashier I would be up at the register providing customer service for customers which was great because I love helping people in every possible way that I can. I learned better people skills and how to create friendships and rapport. I'm always looking to learn new things so even though it wasn't my job, I helped the supervisors with the Point-of-Sale system for malfunctions or complications and other duties they were suppose to have known. (Mostly for the new supervisors). The management team was always well aware of the things that needed to be done and did their best to schedule everyone needed for one day to get everything done. They were nice and friendly, but also strict to hold up the policies for everyone and their safety. My co-workers were always friendly to one another and adapting to the new volunteers and always made sure we were all on the same page with break schedules and things we were doing. We worked as a great team. The hardest part about this job was dealing with angry or unhappy customers (especially the ones that just seem to come in simply to make your day awful), I don't take on negativity so well but there are people who encourage me in the process and make me feel better or forget about the customer. I most enjoyed learning everything and even wanting to learn more to become a supervisor and helping people when I could. – less
Very diverse workplace but overall good culture.
E-Commerce Store Suport (Former Employee), Maple Valley, WAApril 15, 2013
Pros: easy to move up the ladder if you stay focused and are willing to learn as much as you can.
Cons: management changed very frequently, healthcare is available but far from affordable if you are covering anybody other than yourself, never a steady schedule.
There was never a shortage of things to do. Kept me on my toes. Loved my customers and co-workers. Things were always changing.

Tacoma Goodwill Industries Photos