TakeLessons Employee Reviews in United States

Bad place for teachers
Instructor (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMarch 2, 2016
They take 60% of your paycheck and don't have the teachers' best interests at heart. I have emailed them countless times about issues and it takes them weeks to return communication. They made a mistake with a student, resulting in the student leaving a bad review (before the student and I even met), and Take Lessons refuses to take down the bad review or admit that it was their mistake. Stay away.
Pros
Work at home
Cons
Poor communication; they don't look out for teachers
A top notch company
Guitar Instructor (Current Employee) –  Hot Springs, ARFebruary 1, 2016
Takelessons is a professionally run internet based company. It's employees are very helpful to the instructors. Calls for assistance are handled quickly and competently.
Pros
Knowledgeable employees
Cons
Excellent Marketing, Lesson Scheduling, Tracking, and Communication Tools!!
Instructor (Current Employee) –  Chicagoland areaApril 3, 2015
TakeLessons.com is a terrific organization that provides exceptional support to instructors and students. Their marketing is second to none -- TakeLessons.com is the largest service of its kind in the States.

Great opportunity for students and instructors to increase their abilities using the TakeLessons.com blog articles.
Pros
Company support and marketing
Cons
None that I've experienced
As a Piano and Voice Teacher
songwriter and singer (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJune 1, 2015
Takelessons is a on growing company to allow local teacher throughout the country, meet other musicians to use their instruments effectively.
Very Flexible and Professional Tutoring Company
Voice/Piano Teacher (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAJuly 7, 2014
Each teacher sets their own schedule, and you have no minimum or maximum hours to work each week. I've learned better time management, how to prepare as a tutor/music instructor, and discovered how much I'm willing to drive each day. The hardest part is finding creative energy to teach difficult student, and working evenings can take a toll on family life. Luckily, teaching is generally extremely rewarding.
Pros
flexible scheduling, no earning limit
Cons
working evening, no employee benefits
Work Hard Play Hard Company Full Of Winners!
Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAMarch 19, 2014
This company is an awesome company to work for. I am constantly challenged to learn and grow due to the company constantly growing and changing! It is an exciting company to be a part of due to the innovation of ideas and desire that every employee has to win! I am proud to tell people about where I work and what an amazing place it is.
Pros
bi-monthly company meetings, company culture, open communication
Cons
parking downtown
Great employers, firendly and easy to deal with!
Guitar Instructor (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJune 4, 2012
I've been teaching guitar through TakeLessons since January 2011, and I have nothing but positive things to say about them. The interview process was extremely easy going and pressure free, and the interaction with their helpful and friendly staff is always a pleasure. The are extremely professional and do everything in their power to accommodate their employees. I am a private contractor through TakeLessons, and though the actual work aspect of my job is on my own, I feel a real partnership with this company. They hook me up with students, I teach the students guitar, and there isn't anything to get in either of our ways. Great company!
Great staff and software tools
Guitar Instructor (Current Employee) –  VirginiaApril 12, 2013
I've been teaching for TakeLessons for about a year now. They are by far the best company I've worked with. The management is very competent and professional. They are always trying to improve the teaching exeperience for their teachers and are diligent in doing so. They use the best software tools to make it easy managing your schedule, communicating with your students and keeping track of the student's progress. All thumbs up for TakeLessons!
Valuable resource for student referrals
Guitar, bass guitar, ukulele instructor (Current Employee) –  Chandler, ArizonaApril 13, 2013
Take lessons has been an important source of student referrals since I moved to Chandler, Arizona. Referrals and pay has increased as they have come to know my value as a competent and reliable instructor. Teaching lessons on-line has been a great way to increase my student roster. I am looking forward to a long and mutually beneficial relationship with Take Lessons.
Pros
great student referral source.
Cons
pay is a little low at the beginning, but increases to competitive levels after becoming established as a tenured instructor.
Making the learning process easy and fun.
Voice Instructor (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAFebruary 13, 2015
Enjoyed working with many different styles of singing. Its and honor to be able to teach the very thing that I am passionate about.
Pros
making my own schedule.
Cons
not a consistent amount of students regularly.
Great company, getting better all the time!
Guitar / Bass teacher (Current Employee) –  Oldsmar, FloridaApril 12, 2013
I have been teaching through takelessons for a little over 2 years now, and I have had nothing but a positive experience with them. The staff is very helpful and supportive, and their online scheduling and student management tools make everything relatively headache free. It was pretty slow going for me the first year, with not many students, but things definitely picked up going into my 2nd year, and they seem to be doing a better job of recruiting students and advertising now. That's the only area in which I would like to see improvement, but like I said, it definitely has improved a lot already. Overall, though, great concept, great company, keeps getting better!
Pros
they handle all of the advertising, student recruitment, and money with an easy to use online system
Cons
would like to get more students
Consultant for Online Tutoring Site
Consulting Project - Selection System (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAApril 4, 2014
As a young start up I was tasked with creating a selection process that could identify high potential tutors. I collaborated with one other coworker and we successfully created a process that is used to this day.
Pros
autonomy, start up, remote work
Cons
n/a
This is a wonderful company to work for, and they give you the help as you need it.
Piano, Violin, and Cello Teacher (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MichiganApril 26, 2013
I really enjoy working for Take Lessons. They are very helpful if I have questions and they answer them in a timely manner.
I would like some more students.
Pros
they are a good company to work for.
Cons
i would like some more students.
OK if you drink the Kool-Aid
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDAugust 8, 2014
Its a glorified call center. Sure they treat you nice, but its a business model of being a call center and acting as the middle man for music teachers.
Pros
easy to use website, friendly
Cons
its kind of cultish. either you're in 100% or your osterziced
Customer Experience (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAMarch 18, 2014
Great, positive environment to work in. Constantly busy and working with a very intelligent group of people. Management is very supportive & encouraging of growth. Calls can get difficult but its also fun to get to know the providers.
TakeLessons is a great Company to Work For
Marketing (Current Employee) –  San DiegoAugust 14, 2012
TakeLessons has a strong leadership team and has established a great working environment. My favorite part about working at TakeLessons is definitely the people!
Pros
friendly, casual work environment
work from home or travel
Independent Private Lesson Teacher (Current Employee) –  Tinley Park, ILMay 12, 2014
I like Take lessons they are always good with their teachers, sending them students that they think will fit. You don't have to worry about not having to look for students.
Flexible and easy to use!
private teacher (Current Employee) –  memphis, tnAugust 30, 2011
Takelessons.com is great company that does a terrific job of keeping business records for its teachers so they do not have to.
Pros
flexibility
Cons
does not advertise much for its teachers
Great place to work! Company that works hard and is passionate about making a difference by connecting students with teachers!
Customer Experience (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAMarch 19, 2014
TakeLessons is an online marketplace that helps students find great private instructors. We are a small start up company located in downtown San Diego with a great work environment.

We work here because we want to make difference by helping our teachers manage their business and connecting them with more students. We love teachers and are passionate about helping them!

We work hard but play hard as well. We have company lunches twice a month and other fun, organized events. You often see employees sitting together during lunch, high-fiving and celebrating wins or being silly and skating by each other, when on our break, on our TakeLessons razor scooter.

I personally feel the company does a great job with communication and sharing our goals, results etc. They are also constantly looking for opportunities to promote and challenge existing staff so we are always learning.
Pros
strong culture, fun co-workers, constantly growing, growth and career opportunities
You guys Rock!! thanks for all of your help/support!
Voice/piano teacher (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAMay 6, 2013
Communications are easy and direct and for the most part very timely, which is really important to me! Thanks for everything you do!

4.3