TakeLessons Employee Reviews

Nice and flexible second job
Private Tutor (Current Employee) –  Inland Empire, CADecember 19, 2016
This works great as a second job to supplement income. The company connects students and tutors and the tutors can set their own hours, so it is manageable with a second job.
do not recommend
customer (Former Employee) –  in HOmeAugust 15, 2016
this company provided an instructor named Angel for my granddaughter. He seemed very good and related to her very well. Suddenly he missed an appointment, then we never heard from him again. 3 months later after writing to the company for an explanation, they asked if he completed a lesson that was scheduled almost 2 months after he disappeared. Very unhappy with this company.
Pros
INitally a good instructor that related well with our 6 year ols
Cons
Insturctor failed to appear as scheduled then disappeared totally
good side job
Online Tutor (Current Employee) –  CaliforniaJuly 14, 2016
you can manage your own time. you can teach whenever and anywhere if you have internet.
sometimes it is really slow, but it is good side job!
Pros
flexibility. you can teach anywhere whenever.
Cons
40% fee. for every lessons that you teach.
Bad place for teachers
Instructor (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMarch 2, 2016
They take 60% of your paycheck and don't have the teachers' best interests at heart. I have emailed them countless times about issues and it takes them weeks to return communication. They made a mistake with a student, resulting in the student leaving a bad review (before the student and I even met), and Take Lessons refuses to take down the bad review or admit that it was their mistake. Stay away.
Pros
Work at home
Cons
Poor communication; they don't look out for teachers
A top notch company
Guitar Instructor (Current Employee) –  Hot Springs, ARFebruary 1, 2016
Takelessons is a professionally run internet based company. It's employees are very helpful to the instructors. Calls for assistance are handled quickly and competently.
Pros
Knowledgeable employees
As a Piano and Voice Teacher
songwriter and singer (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJune 1, 2015
Takelessons is a on growing company to allow local teacher throughout the country, meet other musicians to use their instruments effectively.
Excellent Marketing, Lesson Scheduling, Tracking, and Communication Tools!!
Instructor (Current Employee) –  Chicagoland areaApril 3, 2015
TakeLessons.com is a terrific organization that provides exceptional support to instructors and students. Their marketing is second to none -- TakeLessons.com is the largest service of its kind in the States.

Great opportunity for students and instructors to increase their abilities using the TakeLessons.com blog articles.
Pros
Company support and marketing
Cons
None that I've experienced
Making the learning process easy and fun.
Voice Instructor (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAFebruary 13, 2015
Enjoyed working with many different styles of singing. Its and honor to be able to teach the very thing that I am passionate about.
Pros
Making my own schedule.
Cons
Not a consistent amount of students regularly.
OK if you drink the Kool-Aid
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDAugust 8, 2014
Its a glorified call center. Sure they treat you nice, but its a business model of being a call center and acting as the middle man for music teachers.
Pros
Easy to use website, friendly
Cons
Its kind of cultish. Either you're in 100% or your osterziced
Very Flexible and Professional Tutoring Company
Voice/Piano Teacher (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAJuly 7, 2014
Each teacher sets their own schedule, and you have no minimum or maximum hours to work each week. I've learned better time management, how to prepare as a tutor/music instructor, and discovered how much I'm willing to drive each day. The hardest part is finding creative energy to teach difficult student, and working evenings can take a toll on family life. Luckily, teaching is generally extremely rewarding.
Pros
Flexible Scheduling, No Earning Limit
Cons
Working evening, no employee benefits

Want to know more about TakeLessons?

Ask a question
work from home or travel
Independent Private Lesson Teacher (Current Employee) –  Tinley Park, ILMay 12, 2014
I like Take lessons they are always good with their teachers, sending them students that they think will fit. You don't have to worry about not having to look for students.
Consultant for Online Tutoring Site
Consulting Project - Selection System (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAApril 4, 2014
As a young start up I was tasked with creating a selection process that could identify high potential tutors. I collaborated with one other coworker and we successfully created a process that is used to this day.
Pros
Autonomy, start up, remote work
Cons
n/a
Excellent environment!
Customer Experience (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAMarch 23, 2014
Surrounded by smart & friendly co-workers always willing to drop what they're doing to help.
Great place to work! Company that works hard and is passionate about making a difference by connecting students with teachers!
Customer Experience (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAMarch 19, 2014
TakeLessons is an online marketplace that helps students find great private instructors. We are a small start up company located in downtown San Diego with a great work environment.

We work here because we want to make difference by helping our teachers manage their business and connecting them with more students. We love teachers and are passionate about helping them!

We work hard but play hard as well. We have company lunches twice a month and other fun, organized events. You often see employees sitting together during lunch, high-fiving and celebrating wins or being silly and skating by each other, when on our break, on our TakeLessons razor scooter.

I personally feel the company does a great job with communication and sharing our goals, results etc. They are also constantly looking for opportunities to promote and challenge existing staff so we are always learning.
Pros
strong culture, fun co-workers, constantly growing, growth and career opportunities
Work Hard Play Hard Company Full Of Winners!
Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAMarch 19, 2014
This company is an awesome company to work for. I am constantly challenged to learn and grow due to the company constantly growing and changing! It is an exciting company to be a part of due to the innovation of ideas and desire that every employee has to win! I am proud to tell people about where I work and what an amazing place it is.
Pros
Bi-monthly company meetings, Company Culture, Open communication
Cons
Parking downtown
Fun atmosphere, cool CEO, too much chaos
Sales Representative (Student Counselor) (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAMarch 19, 2014
TakeLessons has gone through a cornucopia of changes in the past several years. We have grown the number of employees, and then we have chopped that number in half.

There is a lot a pressure to perform, but there is usually always celebration when you perform to your maximum potential.

Within the sales department, you are given goals, not quotas, but it is made very clear that if you are not meeting your goal, you won't last very long in the company.

In the past 3 years, we've been given a raise once with no anticipation of when we will see another. Our commission structure has changed to now reward revenue collected rather than total number of sales, but upper management is still willing to bring down the axe on reps who are not bringing in a solid amount of sales, even when their total revenue collected is extremely high.

There isn't a lot of room for growth or advancement, which is something that is usually talked about. There's limited flexibility with scheduling and when you need to take time off for any particular reason, you are still responsible for meeting a monthly goal that assumes you will be working the entire month - this is very unrealistic.

However, the friends you will make here are ever-lasting. You will have the potential to work alongside one of San Diego's most successful CEO's and will learn a lot of valuable information around start-ups, business and technology.

This job is not for the light of heart and is for those with thick of skin. There is always a solid attempt to keep pushing the company to be the best that the company can
  more... be, but the internal stuff is usually the aspect of the business that is almost always over-looked.  less
Pros
cool office, great coworkers, meetings with beer
Cons
benefits are weak, not a lot of flexibility, no room for growth, unrealistic expectations
Customer Experience (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAMarch 18, 2014
Great, positive environment to work in. Constantly busy and working with a very intelligent group of people. Management is very supportive & encouraging of growth. Calls can get difficult but its also fun to get to know the providers.
Good!
Music instructor, voice and saxophone (Current Employee) –  NY, NYOctober 5, 2013
It's good, but not steady work. The managers and the website are great.
Pros
Make your own schedule...
Cons
If you get get any students...
You guys Rock!! thanks for all of your help/support!
Voice/piano teacher (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAMay 6, 2013
Communications are easy and direct and for the most part very timely, which is really important to me! Thanks for everything you do!
TakeLessons Teaching Tools are fantastic!
Independent Contractor (Current Employee) –  San DiegoApril 26, 2013
As a founding teacher at TakeLessons starting in 2005, I have watched this company grow from the bottom up and have nothing but kind words to say.

TakeLessons Teaching Tools gives me the access that I need, when I need it. Scheduling on the "go" using my smartphone and keeping my roster up to speed has never been easier. I'm able to keep all of my In-Studio, Travel and Online students schedule patterns separate so that there is always availablility for any potential student to get the time slot they are looking for.

My Students teaching tool is great during those last minute moments before my session when I need to know where I'm traveling to or need to call a student between sessions for any reason. Sometimes my schedule gets so busy that I need to know if my next lesson is a guitar, piano, banjo, or ukulele lesson and all that information is right on the students page. To go a bit deeper I'm able to leave my students comments or help them create goals that are to help them guage their progress and they can log their practice time so I can tell how hard they are working.

Payments are never an issue with TakeLessons. The lesson is logged in a ledger so that you know exactly how much money you made and when you made it. You can check your history of payments and get the information that you need to find out how many more lessons you need to teach before you start making even more money!

My Profile has a professional headshot with a list of all my credentials, availability and reviews so that my students are confident in my teaching ability before they even have
  more... their first lesson. There are featured audio and video shots on my main page so my students can get a feel for both my personality and the things that I've created in the past.

The TakeLessons Team is always there for me whenever I have an questions or concerns about anything that has to do with scheduling, students, follow ups and new features that could help me get even more clients. Most of the time when I call the first words out of my mouth are ,"Thanks for the new students, keep up the hard work!".
Pros
Opportunity, Class, Professionalism
Cons
Taxes not taken out

Ask a question about working or interviewing at TakeLessons. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2