TakeLessons Employee Review

Amazing Option For People Not Wanting To Teach Music In A Traditional Studio Setting
Music Instructor (Current Employee) –  East Palo Alto, CAApril 26, 2013
I've worked for TakeLessons as both a traveling In-Home studio instructor and as out of my own home studio. They generally trust you do what's best for your students, but they do seem to keep very thorough notes on any phone or email interactions you do have with them.

I've been really happy with the way everyone on their staff has worked with me any time I've interacted with them over the phone or via email. And, like I said, I've been fairly amazed at how well a staff that's never met me in person seems to know about my history with the company.

This is an amazing option for people that are hard working and self-motivated. If you do a good job because you want to do a good job, this might be one of the best places you've ever taught music for. If you want a place where you can just show up and collect a paycheck, this is a horrible choice for you. Nobody will push you to work, and if you don't get anything going for yourself, you'll probably be dismissed.

Overall rating: 5/5
If it wasn't for TakeLessons, I probably wouldn't be teaching music out of my own home full time. I feel so blessed to do what I love for work every day. Working with them has been good from the start, and it just keeps getting better and better.

Compensation / Benefits: 4/5
As some people said, pay may start out a little low depending on your area, but if you retain students and do good work it becomes REALLY lucrative over time. Aside from the slow start, I've had a few mistakes in my paycheck over the last few years. Being a small business owner, I personally go over all my invoices, so I caught
  more... them and they were completely glad to fix them immediately. Tough they were minute, the fact that they were there in the first place knocks them down a little bit. Also, since you're an independent contractor no benefits. That would be a big issue for me if I wasn't covered through my spouse's work.

Culture / Values: 4/5
Good values mostly. I haven't had to do any of the things involving the partnership with Best Buy. I was told in those cases you have to recommend your students buy instruments and supplies from Best Buy. That was a HUGE turn-off for me, but I never was in a situation where I had to do any of that, so I can't complain about it too much. Aside from that, I brought it down a little bit since correspondence is pretty much entirely over phone and email. So any sense of community feels kind of convoluted.

Job Security / Advancement: 3/5
I really can't complain too much about job security or chance for advancement, especially when comparing TakeLessons to other similar opportunities for work. I feel both of those things are fairly ambiguous though. I gave it a 3 out of 5 because those things seem okay, but the truth is, I really don't know.

Management: 5/5
Great. They've always supported me when I've reached out to them, even in sticky situations. All the policies almost always really look out for instructors and rarely inhibit anything good from happening.

Work / Life Balance: 5/5
I teach what I love out of my home as a full time job and have plenty of time to myself. That's nearly unbeatable.
Pros
teach what you want on your terms for competitive wages, basically be your own boss
Cons
all your responsibilities rest on your shoulders, no benefits, future with company somewhat ambiguous

Other TakeLessons Employee Reviews

As an instructor
Private Music Instructor (PT) Salary (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CASeptember 20, 2017
I worked as a private teacher when the company had paired up with Best Buy to host lessons and demo gear at their music instrument divisions. The minimum hours and hourly rate promised were lowered almost immediately, took 6 weeks to get my first check and the job just disintegrated in bad planning and poor management.
Pros
got to work with up tp date gear & instruments
Cons
company just wasnt straight with the job from the beginning
Very productive and fun company
Piano Teacher (Current Employee) –  Sacramento, CAJune 19, 2017
Being a part time piano teacher on TakeLessons is such a joyful experience. I love getting the chance to teach students, both young and old, music theory and technique in there piano training.
Pros
Something that I love to do
Cons
Conflicting times

Ask a question about working or interviewing at TakeLessons. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2