TakeLessons

TakeLessons Employer Reviews

Very Flexible and Professional Tutoring Company
Voice/Piano Teacher (Current Employee), San Diego, CAJuly 7, 2014
Pros: flexible scheduling, no earning limit
Cons: working evening, no employee benefits
Each teacher sets their own schedule, and you have no minimum or maximum hours to work each week. I've learned better time management, how to prepare as a tutor/music instructor, and discovered how much I'm willing to drive each day. The hardest part is finding creative energy to teach difficult student, and working evenings can take a toll on family – more... life. Luckily, teaching is generally extremely rewarding. – less
work from home or travel
Independent Private Lesson Teacher (Current Employee), Tinley Park, ILMay 12, 2014
I like Take lessons they are always good with their teachers, sending them students that they think will fit. You don't have to worry about not having to look for students.
Consultant for Online Tutoring Site
Consulting Project - Selection System (Former Employee), San Diego, CAApril 4, 2014
Pros: autonomy, start up, remote work
Cons: n/a
As a young start up I was tasked with creating a selection process that could identify high potential tutors. I collaborated with one other coworker and we successfully created a process that is used to this day.
Excellent environment!
Customer Experience (Current Employee), San Diego, CAMarch 23, 2014
Surrounded by smart & friendly co-workers always willing to drop what they're doing to help.
Great place to work! Company that works hard and is passionate about making a difference by connecting students with teachers!
Customer Experience (Current Employee), San Diego, CAMarch 19, 2014
Pros: strong culture, fun co-workers, constantly growing, growth and career opportunities
TakeLessons is an online marketplace that helps students find great private instructors. We are a small start up company located in downtown San Diego with a great work environment.

We work here because we want to make difference by helping our teachers manage their business and connecting them with more students. We love teachers and are passionate – more... about helping them!

We work hard but play hard as well. We have company lunches twice a month and other fun, organized events. You often see employees sitting together during lunch, high-fiving and celebrating wins or being silly and skating by each other, when on our break, on our TakeLessons razor scooter.

I personally feel the company does a great job with communication and sharing our goals, results etc. They are also constantly looking for opportunities to promote and challenge existing staff so we are always learning. – less
Work Hard Play Hard Company Full Of Winners!
Sales Manager (Current Employee), San Diego, CAMarch 19, 2014
Pros: bi-monthly company meetings, company culture, open communication
Cons: parking downtown
This company is an awesome company to work for. I am constantly challenged to learn and grow due to the company constantly growing and changing! It is an exciting company to be a part of due to the innovation of ideas and desire that every employee has to win! I am proud to tell people about where I work and what an amazing place it is.
Fun atmosphere, cool CEO, too much chaos
Sales Representative (Student Counselor) (Current Employee), San Diego, CAMarch 19, 2014
Pros: cool office, great coworkers, meetings with beer
Cons: benefits are weak, not a lot of flexibility, no room for growth, unrealistic expectations
TakeLessons has gone through a cornucopia of changes in the past several years. We have grown the number of employees, and then we have chopped that number in half.

There is a lot a pressure to perform, but there is usually always celebration when you perform to your maximum potential.

Within the sales department, you are given goals, not quotas, – more... but it is made very clear that if you are not meeting your goal, you won't last very long in the company.

In the past 3 years, we've been given a raise once with no anticipation of when we will see another. Our commission structure has changed to now reward revenue collected rather than total number of sales, but upper management is still willing to bring down the axe on reps who are not bringing in a solid amount of sales, even when their total revenue collected is extremely high.

There isn't a lot of room for growth or advancement, which is something that is usually talked about. There's limited flexibility with scheduling and when you need to take time off for any particular reason, you are still responsible for meeting a monthly goal that assumes you will be working the entire month - this is very unrealistic.

However, the friends you will make here are ever-lasting. You will have the potential to work alongside one of San Diego's most successful CEO's and will learn a lot of valuable information around start-ups, business and technology.

This job is not for the light of heart and is for those with thick of skin. There is always a solid attempt to keep pushing the company to be the best that the company can be, but the internal stuff is usually the aspect of the business that is almost always over-looked. – less
Customer Experience (Current Employee), San Diego, CAMarch 18, 2014
Great, positive environment to work in. Constantly busy and working with a very intelligent group of people. Management is very supportive & encouraging of growth. Calls can get difficult but its also fun to get to know the providers.
Good!
Music instructor, voice and saxophone (Current Employee), NY, NYOctober 5, 2013
Pros: make your own schedule...
Cons: if you get get any students...
It's good, but not steady work. The managers and the website are great.
I got more students outside the website.
Private Piano Teacher (Current Employee), New York, NyAugust 13, 2013
I get most of my students through word-of-mouth and TakeLessons have never really done much for me.
You guys Rock!! thanks for all of your help/support!
Voice/piano teacher (Current Employee), San Diego, CAMay 6, 2013
Communications are easy and direct and for the most part very timely, which is really important to me! Thanks for everything you do!
TakeLessons Teaching Tools are fantastic!
Independent Contractor (Current Employee), San DiegoApril 26, 2013
Pros: opportunity, class, professionalism
Cons: taxes not taken out
As a founding teacher at TakeLessons starting in 2005, I have watched this company grow from the bottom up and have nothing but kind words to say.

TakeLessons Teaching Tools gives me the access that I need, when I need it. Scheduling on the "go" using my smartphone and keeping my roster up to speed has never been easier. I'm able to keep all of my – more... In-Studio, Travel and Online students schedule patterns separate so that there is always availablility for any potential student to get the time slot they are looking for.

My Students teaching tool is great during those last minute moments before my session when I need to know where I'm traveling to or need to call a student between sessions for any reason. Sometimes my schedule gets so busy that I need to know if my next lesson is a guitar, piano, banjo, or ukulele lesson and all that information is right on the students page. To go a bit deeper I'm able to leave my students comments or help them create goals that are to help them guage their progress and they can log their practice time so I can tell how hard they are working.

Payments are never an issue with TakeLessons. The lesson is logged in a ledger so that you know exactly how much money you made and when you made it. You can check your history of payments and get the information that you need to find out how many more lessons you need to teach before you start making even more money!

My Profile has a professional headshot with a list of all my credentials, availability and reviews so that my students are confident in my teaching ability before they even have their first lesson. There are featured audio and video shots on my main page so my students can get a feel for both my personality and the things that I've created in the past.

The TakeLessons Team is always there for me whenever I have an questions or concerns about anything that has to do with scheduling, students, follow ups and new features that could help me get even more clients. Most of the time when I call the first words out of my mouth are ,"Thanks for the new students, keep up the hard work!". – less
This is a wonderful company to work for, and they give you the help as you need it.
Piano, Violin, and Cello Teacher (Current Employee), Detroit, MichiganApril 26, 2013
Pros: they are a good company to work for.
Cons: i would like some more students.
I really enjoy working for Take Lessons. They are very helpful if I have questions and they answer them in a timely manner.
I would like some more students.
Valuable resource for student referrals
Guitar, bass guitar, ukulele instructor (Current Employee), Chandler, ArizonaApril 13, 2013
Pros: great student referral source.
Cons: pay is a little low at the beginning, but increases to competitive levels after becoming established as a tenured instructor.
Take lessons has been an important source of student referrals since I moved to Chandler, Arizona. Referrals and pay has increased as they have come to know my value as a competent and reliable instructor. Teaching lessons on-line has been a great way to increase my student roster. I am looking forward to a long and mutually beneficial relationship – more... with Take Lessons. – less
Great company, getting better all the time!
Guitar / Bass teacher (Current Employee), Oldsmar, FloridaApril 12, 2013
Pros: they handle all of the advertising, student recruitment, and money with an easy to use online system
Cons: would like to get more students
I have been teaching through takelessons for a little over 2 years now, and I have had nothing but a positive experience with them. The staff is very helpful and supportive, and their online scheduling and student management tools make everything relatively headache free. It was pretty slow going for me the first year, with not many students, but things – more... definitely picked up going into my 2nd year, and they seem to be doing a better job of recruiting students and advertising now. That's the only area in which I would like to see improvement, but like I said, it definitely has improved a lot already. Overall, though, great concept, great company, keeps getting better! – less
Great staff and software tools
Guitar Instructor (Current Employee), VirginiaApril 12, 2013
I've been teaching for TakeLessons for about a year now. They are by far the best company I've worked with. The management is very competent and professional. They are always trying to improve the teaching exeperience for their teachers and are diligent in doing so. They use the best software tools to make it easy managing your schedule, communicating – more... with your students and keeping track of the student's progress. All thumbs up for TakeLessons! – less
Good
Music Teacher (Current Employee), San Antonio, TXJanuary 6, 2013
I travel to student's Homes for private music instruction. The only contact that I have with the company is thru email.
TakeLessons is a great Company to Work For
Marketing (Current Employee), San DiegoAugust 14, 2012
Pros: friendly, casual work environment
TakeLessons has a strong leadership team and has established a great working environment. My favorite part about working at TakeLessons is definitely the people!
Great employers, firendly and easy to deal with!
Guitar Instructor (Current Employee), New York, NYJune 4, 2012
I've been teaching guitar through TakeLessons since January 2011, and I have nothing but positive things to say about them. The interview process was extremely easy going and pressure free, and the interaction with their helpful and friendly staff is always a pleasure. The are extremely professional and do everything in their power to accommodate their – more... employees. I am a private contractor through TakeLessons, and though the actual work aspect of my job is on my own, I feel a real partnership with this company. They hook me up with students, I teach the students guitar, and there isn't anything to get in either of our ways. Great company! – less
Flexible and easy to use!
private teacher (Current Employee), memphis, tnAugust 30, 2011
Pros: flexibility
Cons: does not advertise much for its teachers
Takelessons.com is great company that does a terrific job of keeping business records for its teachers so they do not have to.