TakeLessons Employee Reviews in United States

Bad place for teachers
Instructor (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMarch 2, 2016
They take 60% of your paycheck and don't have the teachers' best interests at heart. I have emailed them countless times about issues and it takes them weeks to return communication. They made a mistake with a student, resulting in the student leaving a bad review (before the student and I even met), and Take Lessons refuses to take down the bad review or admit that it was their mistake. Stay away.
Pros
Work at home
Cons
Poor communication; they don't look out for teachers
A top notch company
Guitar Instructor (Current Employee) –  Hot Springs, ARFebruary 1, 2016
Takelessons is a professionally run internet based company. It's employees are very helpful to the instructors. Calls for assistance are handled quickly and competently.
Pros
Knowledgeable employees
As a Piano and Voice Teacher
songwriter and singer (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJune 1, 2015
Takelessons is a on growing company to allow local teacher throughout the country, meet other musicians to use their instruments effectively.
Excellent Marketing, Lesson Scheduling, Tracking, and Communication Tools!!
Instructor (Current Employee) –  Chicagoland areaApril 3, 2015
TakeLessons.com is a terrific organization that provides exceptional support to instructors and students. Their marketing is second to none -- TakeLessons.com is the largest service of its kind in the States.

Great opportunity for students and instructors to increase their abilities using the TakeLessons.com blog articles.
Pros
Company support and marketing
Cons
None that I've experienced
Making the learning process easy and fun.
Voice Instructor (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAFebruary 13, 2015
Enjoyed working with many different styles of singing. Its and honor to be able to teach the very thing that I am passionate about.
Pros
making my own schedule.
Cons
not a consistent amount of students regularly.
OK if you drink the Kool-Aid
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDAugust 8, 2014
Its a glorified call center. Sure they treat you nice, but its a business model of being a call center and acting as the middle man for music teachers.
Pros
easy to use website, friendly
Cons
its kind of cultish. either you're in 100% or your osterziced
Very Flexible and Professional Tutoring Company
Voice/Piano Teacher (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAJuly 7, 2014
Each teacher sets their own schedule, and you have no minimum or maximum hours to work each week. I've learned better time management, how to prepare as a tutor/music instructor, and discovered how much I'm willing to drive each day. The hardest part is finding creative energy to teach difficult student, and working evenings can take a toll on family life. Luckily, teaching is generally extremely rewarding.
Pros
flexible scheduling, no earning limit
Cons
working evening, no employee benefits
work from home or travel
Independent Private Lesson Teacher (Current Employee) –  Tinley Park, ILMay 12, 2014
I like Take lessons they are always good with their teachers, sending them students that they think will fit. You don't have to worry about not having to look for students.
Consultant for Online Tutoring Site
Consulting Project - Selection System (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAApril 4, 2014
As a young start up I was tasked with creating a selection process that could identify high potential tutors. I collaborated with one other coworker and we successfully created a process that is used to this day.
Pros
autonomy, start up, remote work
Cons
n/a
Excellent environment!
Customer Experience (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAMarch 23, 2014
Surrounded by smart & friendly co-workers always willing to drop what they're doing to help.
Great place to work! Company that works hard and is passionate about making a difference by connecting students with teachers!
Customer Experience (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAMarch 19, 2014
TakeLessons is an online marketplace that helps students find great private instructors. We are a small start up company located in downtown San Diego with a great work environment.

We work here because we want to make difference by helping our teachers manage their business and connecting them with more students. We love teachers and are passionate about helping them!

We work hard but play hard as well. We have company lunches twice a month and other fun, organized events. You often see employees sitting together during lunch, high-fiving and celebrating wins or being silly and skating by each other, when on our break, on our TakeLessons razor scooter.

I personally feel the company does a great job with communication and sharing our goals, results etc. They are also constantly looking for opportunities to promote and challenge existing staff so we are always learning.
Pros
strong culture, fun co-workers, constantly growing, growth and career opportunities
Work Hard Play Hard Company Full Of Winners!
Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAMarch 19, 2014
This company is an awesome company to work for. I am constantly challenged to learn and grow due to the company constantly growing and changing! It is an exciting company to be a part of due to the innovation of ideas and desire that every employee has to win! I am proud to tell people about where I work and what an amazing place it is.
Pros
bi-monthly company meetings, company culture, open communication
Cons
parking downtown
Fun atmosphere, cool CEO, too much chaos
Sales Representative (Student Counselor) (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAMarch 19, 2014
TakeLessons has gone through a cornucopia of changes in the past several years. We have grown the number of employees, and then we have chopped that number in half.

There is a lot a pressure to perform, but there is usually always celebration when you perform to your maximum potential.

Within the sales department, you are given goals, not quotas, but it is made very clear that if you are not meeting your goal, you won't last very long in the company.

In the past 3 years, we've been given a raise once with no anticipation of when we will see another. Our commission structure has changed to now reward revenue collected rather than total number of sales, but upper management is still willing to bring down the axe on reps who are not bringing in a solid amount of sales, even when their total revenue collected is extremely high.

There isn't a lot of room for growth or advancement, which is something that is usually talked about. There's limited flexibility with scheduling and when you need to take time off for any particular reason, you are still responsible for meeting a monthly goal that assumes you will be working the entire month - this is very unrealistic.

However, the friends you will make here are ever-lasting. You will have the potential to work alongside one of San Diego's most successful CEO's and will learn a lot of valuable information around start-ups, business and technology.

This job is not for the light of heart and is for those with thick of skin. There is always a solid attempt to keep pushing the company to be the best that the company can be, but the internal
  more... stuff is usually the aspect of the business that is almost always over-looked.  less
Pros
cool office, great coworkers, meetings with beer
Cons
benefits are weak, not a lot of flexibility, no room for growth, unrealistic expectations
Customer Experience (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAMarch 18, 2014
Great, positive environment to work in. Constantly busy and working with a very intelligent group of people. Management is very supportive & encouraging of growth. Calls can get difficult but its also fun to get to know the providers.
Good!
Music instructor, voice and saxophone (Current Employee) –  NY, NYOctober 5, 2013
It's good, but not steady work. The managers and the website are great.
Pros
make your own schedule...
Cons
if you get get any students...
I got more students outside the website.
Private Piano Teacher (Current Employee) –  New York, NyAugust 13, 2013
I get most of my students through word-of-mouth and TakeLessons have never really done much for me.
TakeLessons Teaching Tools are fantastic!
Independent Contractor (Current Employee) –  San DiegoApril 26, 2013
As a founding teacher at TakeLessons starting in 2005, I have watched this company grow from the bottom up and have nothing but kind words to say.

TakeLessons Teaching Tools gives me the access that I need, when I need it. Scheduling on the "go" using my smartphone and keeping my roster up to speed has never been easier. I'm able to keep all of my In-Studio, Travel and Online students schedule patterns separate so that there is always availablility for any potential student to get the time slot they are looking for.

My Students teaching tool is great during those last minute moments before my session when I need to know where I'm traveling to or need to call a student between sessions for any reason. Sometimes my schedule gets so busy that I need to know if my next lesson is a guitar, piano, banjo, or ukulele lesson and all that information is right on the students page. To go a bit deeper I'm able to leave my students comments or help them create goals that are to help them guage their progress and they can log their practice time so I can tell how hard they are working.

Payments are never an issue with TakeLessons. The lesson is logged in a ledger so that you know exactly how much money you made and when you made it. You can check your history of payments and get the information that you need to find out how many more lessons you need to teach before you start making even more money!

My Profile has a professional headshot with a list of all my credentials, availability and reviews so that my students are confident in my teaching ability before they even have their first
  more... lesson. There are featured audio and video shots on my main page so my students can get a feel for both my personality and the things that I've created in the past.

The TakeLessons Team is always there for me whenever I have an questions or concerns about anything that has to do with scheduling, students, follow ups and new features that could help me get even more clients. Most of the time when I call the first words out of my mouth are ,"Thanks for the new students, keep up the hard work!".
Pros
opportunity, class, professionalism
Cons
taxes not taken out
This is a wonderful company to work for, and they give you the help as you need it.
Piano, Violin, and Cello Teacher (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MichiganApril 26, 2013
I really enjoy working for Take Lessons. They are very helpful if I have questions and they answer them in a timely manner.
I would like some more students.
Pros
they are a good company to work for.
Cons
i would like some more students.
Amazing Option For People Not Wanting To Teach Music In A Traditional Studio Setting
Music Instructor (Current Employee) –  East Palo Alto, CAApril 26, 2013
I've worked for TakeLessons as both a traveling In-Home studio instructor and as out of my own home studio. They generally trust you do what's best for your students, but they do seem to keep very thorough notes on any phone or email interactions you do have with them.

I've been really happy with the way everyone on their staff has worked with me any time I've interacted with them over the phone or via email. And, like I said, I've been fairly amazed at how well a staff that's never met me in person seems to know about my history with the company.

This is an amazing option for people that are hard working and self-motivated. If you do a good job because you want to do a good job, this might be one of the best places you've ever taught music for. If you want a place where you can just show up and collect a paycheck, this is a horrible choice for you. Nobody will push you to work, and if you don't get anything going for yourself, you'll probably be dismissed.

Overall rating: 5/5
If it wasn't for TakeLessons, I probably wouldn't be teaching music out of my own home full time. I feel so blessed to do what I love for work every day. Working with them has been good from the start, and it just keeps getting better and better.

Compensation / Benefits: 4/5
As some people said, pay may start out a little low depending on your area, but if you retain students and do good work it becomes REALLY lucrative over time. Aside from the slow start, I've had a few mistakes in my paycheck over the last few years. Being a small business owner, I personally go over all my invoices, so I caught
  more... them and they were completely glad to fix them immediately. Tough they were minute, the fact that they were there in the first place knocks them down a little bit. Also, since you're an independent contractor no benefits. That would be a big issue for me if I wasn't covered through my spouse's work.

Culture / Values: 4/5
Good values mostly. I haven't had to do any of the things involving the partnership with Best Buy. I was told in those cases you have to recommend your students buy instruments and supplies from Best Buy. That was a HUGE turn-off for me, but I never was in a situation where I had to do any of that, so I can't complain about it too much. Aside from that, I brought it down a little bit since correspondence is pretty much entirely over phone and email. So any sense of community feels kind of convoluted.

Job Security / Advancement: 3/5
I really can't complain too much about job security or chance for advancement, especially when comparing TakeLessons to other similar opportunities for work. I feel both of those things are fairly ambiguous though. I gave it a 3 out of 5 because those things seem okay, but the truth is, I really don't know.

Management: 5/5
Great. They've always supported me when I've reached out to them, even in sticky situations. All the policies almost always really look out for instructors and rarely inhibit anything good from happening.

Work / Life Balance: 5/5
I teach what I love out of my home as a full time job and have plenty of time to myself. That's nearly unbeatable.
Pros
teach what you want on your terms for competitive wages, basically be your own boss
Cons
all your responsibilities rest on your shoulders, no benefits, future with company somewhat ambiguous
Valuable resource for student referrals
Guitar, bass guitar, ukulele instructor (Current Employee) –  Chandler, ArizonaApril 13, 2013
Take lessons has been an important source of student referrals since I moved to Chandler, Arizona. Referrals and pay has increased as they have come to know my value as a competent and reliable instructor. Teaching lessons on-line has been a great way to increase my student roster. I am looking forward to a long and mutually beneficial relationship with Take Lessons.
Pros
great student referral source.
Cons
pay is a little low at the beginning, but increases to competitive levels after becoming established as a tenured instructor.

4.3