Talbert House Employee Reviews in United States

Fun place to work
Activity Security Monitor Intern (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHMarch 2, 2016
A typical day would be to start by sanitizing and organizing all aspects of the building for the morning routine. Ensure clients follow proper security procedures while checking in and out completing daily tasks. Maintained the front desk while the other monitors proceeded to do head counts of the clients.

I learned a lot during this internship and it was mostly how to communicate with the clients and observe them as well. Management was wonderful. While I was interning, there was a change in management and that went by smoothly. My "co-workers" were fun! I learned a lot about each one of them which was the most enjoyable part of the job. The hardest part of the job was dealing with clients that overdosed.
Talbert House is a great place to work, learn and train.
Program Manager and Clinical Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHMarch 16, 2016
I worked at Talbert House for 13 years and met some really great and talented people. I found this out by going to another organization and seeing how employment at Talbert House is a great place to work. You constantly learn new items that you need to advance your career. Their training program is outstanding. They lost some really good people by realigning the staff along more of a business model rather than a social work/human experience.
Good company
Clinical Service Provider/Therapist (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHJune 27, 2016
I have worked for several programs within Talbert House and have enjoyed them all. Correctional, residential programs tend to have high turnover and burn-out. Most in management are helpful and available to employees. Caseloads can be overwhelming at times but having a good team helps. A typical work day in the outpatient setting includes running a 3 hour IOP group and meeting with clients individually. The work really does make a difference in the community which is why I choose to work for this company. Compensation tends to be below what other non-profits pay but schedules tend to be flexible. I have worked for some amazing people in this company and I would recommend working here!
Pros
Flexibility, good people, positive impact in community.
Cons
Compensation, healthcare benefits.
Laid back, comfortable, tough work load environment.
Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHJune 8, 2016
A typical day really depends on your case load and how you manage your schedule. Sometimes you could be in the office all day or the majority of the day doing paper work and filling out forms. Other day you could be driving looking for housing, going to the grocery store or food panties, making home visits for client that have trouble coming to the office, and going to doctor appointments. The most enjoyable part about the job is the satisfaction of helping a client get there life back to where they want them to be. The hardest part is the dealing with crisis that throw you off your schedule.
Pros
Free lunch some days, and Flexible schedule
Cons
Too large of a work load, Some clients make no progress
Great place to work, poor management
Administrative Practitioner (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHDecember 9, 2015
As long as you don't go against the grain, you're fine. The moment you go against the grain, you have a target on your back. Management is terrible, especially at the Director level. I loved my job but disliked the bureaucracy of the business.
Pros
Working with the clients.
Cons
Benefits. Management.
Okay for co-op not to stay
ASM (Current Employee) –  CincinnatiJanuary 3, 2016
Management is horrible.They tell you they have a open door policy, but they dont. If you go to management about a problem, they tell everyone what you said, then you are treated horrible. Clients date staff and upper management knows. Clients are treated as a profit for the company, don't get fed enough and are treated bad by staff... Pay is horrible and you get no holiday pay.
Pros
Learning experience
Cons
Co workers are a different breed, cursing is everywhere, rules always broken
must have good supervisor to thrive
Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHSeptember 27, 2015
Independently schedule and keep own appts, learned about many facets of the social service field. Management is the main issue; too focused on numbers and making money, versus client care. Great co workers but high turn over. Hardest part of job is supervisor not being supportive/helpful. I enjoyed my job and would want to stay if my supervisor was efficient. Focus seems to be on quantity not quality. Most enjoyable part is client care and flexible schedule. It seems people care and want to make positive changes, but it seems what employees need is never in the budget. If TH took better care of it's employees, this would be a place to work until retirement.
Pros
flexibility, great learning experience
Cons
low pay for hard work
Talbert House has a very strong community mission to search and assist clients needing help in their daily lives.
VICE PRESIDENT-CFO (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHJuly 28, 2016
Talbert House provides assistance to those with alcohol and drug problems, behavioral health issues, homeless and work related needs.
Like helping people and this company provided this experience.
Employment Specialist/Job Coach (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHJune 6, 2016
Typical day was good working with clients and most of the co-worker was great also. Depending on the department in TH for co-workers who love or like the position of employment.
Review of Talbert House
Administrative Specialist (Current Employee) –  Mount Orab, OHNovember 30, 2015
I liked the majority of my co-workers. Our office had some wonderful therapists on staff. However, some of the physicians were not very caring or empathetic to the clients in need. I felt like the vision of the company was not really honored, as they stated it was. Work load was tremendous always increasing on therapists, case managers and administrative employees at our location. Understaffed. The company has a problem retaining staff. ( These problems likely all resulted from the corporate office and main VP of operations). This caused much stress and disgruntled employees.

I enjoyed working with the clients and helping them. I had empathy for every single client who came into our facility. This made my job very rewarding. I never judged anyone who needed our services, and did all I could to assist them.
Pros
Working with some wonderful therapists, rewarding job in helping clients in need.
Cons
Workload, understaffed, disgruntled employees, uncaring physicians
Great place to obtain trainings
CSP (Current Employee) –  CIncinnatiDecember 8, 2015
Great culture, great employees, great supervision, and upward mobility is potential. Great place to obtain trainings and get experience.
Pros
Free trainings
Cons
pay
Get Your Foot In The Door--Then Move On!
ASM (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHSeptember 6, 2014
Talbert House is not a very good place to stay for any length of time. Due to high employee turnover, it's a good place to get your foot in the door and move on as soon as you can. Management is very [protective of themselves, but scapegoat lower employees. Anything that goes wrong MUST be your fault because they DON'T make mistakes. Very low pay and employee morale, who realize that they can be fired for one of MANY different things. Impossible workload, meetings where problems are addressed and the typical response is, "we're working on it," or "it's part of the job." Huge amount of hypocrisy, BS and minority politics. If you're not black, forget about moving up!

This is one of the worst places I have ever worked and am looking for another job now. Can't wait to escape the evil clutches of Talbert House!
Pros
high turnover-easy to get foot in door
Cons
low pay, low employee morale, management blames you for their mistakes, inconsistant policies, scapegoating of employees
Easy going
Service Learning Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHApril 7, 2016
Assisted with the Fatherhood project. Help individuals express reasons for not currently being the Father they wanted to be to their child(ren).
Fair
Therapist (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHMarch 22, 2016
Supervision was greatly needed. I enjoyed working with a few staff members, the director, and the clients. The work is rewarding however the pay could stand improving. I was thankful for my time.
Difficult workplace good for learning social services
Clinical Service Provider (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHMarch 27, 2015
Long hours, hard work, difficult clients, and chaotic rapid changes in staff and management. It's by no means an easy job but the staff you work with are kind caring people who work hard.
Pros
Great training, experience, mentoring
Cons
Low pay, poor benefits, high stress, high turnover
Compassionate work environment and team
Public Relations Specialist (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHFebruary 23, 2015
I work at the Executive Office, which is different from all other Talbert House locations. This is a professional, business casual kind of environment. Great place to work if you are passionate for helping others. Coworkers are friendly and look out for each other. The President/CEO and Executive Team are very efficient at running the agency.
Pros
friendly environment, plenty of opportunity for advancement, free parking, occasional lunches
Cons
not up-to-date technology, pay is typically on low end of scale, high turnover, rough neighborhood
Poor job security at current location. TH as a whole is a very good orginization.
Case Manager-Adult Behavioral Health (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OhJune 24, 2015
I work hands on with clients who suffer from different mental illness. My day consist of clinical documention of time spent with client, create service plans for clients and referals for other services. I have learned how to handle risky situations betterand how to better engage clients. Management has it's ups and downs, they are not always on the same page which can be a problem for staff. My co-workers are easy to get along with and very helpful. The hardest part of my job is dealing with difficult clients, but it is a learning experience as well. The most enjoyable part of my job is my relationship with my coworkers.
Sucess Rate of clients
Activity and Security Monitor (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHOctober 5, 2015
The control and monitoring of clients
patience, and endurance
management accessible
the discipline of clients
the graduation of clients in the program
Pros
Fun activities with clients
Cons
long hour at times.
Too punitive for a treatment facility
Staff (Current Employee) –  Community CorrectionalJune 7, 2015
The culture at the corrections facility is highly punitive, focus often seems to be on the corrections aspect rather than the treatment aspect. Consistency is lacking, making it even harder for the clients to remain infraction free (one employee will let small infractions slide and the next will give out the maximum punishment for it).
On the plus side, it provides great experience for an entry level staff person, and working with the offenders can be very rewarding.
Pros
Flexible hours, great coworkers
Cons
Overworked and underpaid
Flexible agency
Intake Specialist, Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Lebanon, OHAugust 27, 2015
Easy going work place with supportive co-workers and management. Training department is excellent and you are encouraged to grow personally and professionally.
Pros
flexibility
Cons
training is in Cincinnati