Talbots Employee Reviews in United States

Great Fashionable Environment
Desk Associate/Sales Associate/Communications (Former Employee) –  Chevy Chase, MDJanuary 7, 2016
A typical day at work can be anywhere from a long line and messing clothes laying everywhere. To dealing with an emotional customer/customers who cant find anything to wear because of either time or the weight they gained/lost. For a male this would be an experience of a LIFEtime. Of course the majority of your co workers here are woman and you will soon learn how it is to be around woman 24/7 if you already aren't.
Pros
Discounts on clothes, great management
Cons
Short breaks and you only get benefits if you are full time.
Productive and exciting workplace
Sales Associate/ Cashier (Current Employee) –  Fresno, CAMarch 2, 2016
A typical day in a retail job often consists of maintaining a store environment that is a pleasant experience for customers.I handle a wide variety of routine tasks, such as pulling reports; managing cash; marketing and promotional roll-outs. In addition, working retail we can expect to deal with customer complaints, employee work delegation, staff shortages, equipment failures and other unexpected things that occur in a retail environment.
I couldn't ask for a better management team, they always provided me with constructive criticism on how I could become a better team member.
The hardest part of the job was facing with some difficulties with some of the customers beliefs about working with me.
The most enjoyable part of my job was working with my staff and seeing how happy my customers were with my assistance.
fun upscale shopping
Shipping and Receiving Clerk (Former Employee) –  Los Gatos, CASeptember 14, 2015
clock in on register in store. Once to the stock room I would start unpacking shipment look at guide to tell me what garment goes where, determine what items go on sale/come down as back stock, pull items for online orders, fed ex forms make appointment for pickup. I learned how to speak with customers with more etiquette. Management was great!! By far some of the nicest most flexible boss. Majority of the coworkers were an older crowed (50-60's) but so full of life and great tips about the job. The hardest part was after moving to Milpitas it was harder to get to Los Gatos for work.
Pros
Full time employees get benefits, rewards for achievments, family type atmosphere
Very competitive, no teamwork, unprofessional management team, unhealthy dust enviroment.
Cashier/Sales Clerk (Former Employee) –  Destin, FLJanuary 27, 2016
Was very happy when I first started working here. A few weeks into my employment here, I started noticing the abuse of management toward employees. There was absolutely no teamwork, and was highly discouraged. I thought it very odd, due to the demands made on upping sales. I put up with allot because I was new. It got worse when the management was replaced. The last straw was when I was made to stay three hours past clock out time. I indured three hours of being cursed at and made fun of in front of other employees. As a result this manager was fired and Law suits are still in progress. I didn't like the fact that they wanted to work you sixty hours a week during busy season and drop you to six hours a week in off season, without forewarning. And divided those six hours up into three days. This company has allot of issues.
Productive and fun work place
sales manager (Current Employee) –  Marlton, NJNovember 10, 2015
Supportive management team who enjoys demonstrating leadership roles to properly run a successful business. Overlooks a staff of 25 women who enjoy the art of selling culture.
Pros
Half hour meal breaks, excellent benefits, sick time, etc
great part time job
Authorization Specialist (Former Employee) –  Hingham, MADecember 16, 2015
this was a part time position that offered a great salary, benefits and work environment. Talbots overall is a great company to be employed for back then.
Worst management team ever
Keyholder (Former Employee) –  Carlsbad, CAJuly 2, 2016
The manager at this Carlsbad, CA store location is one of the worst I've ever had in my long retail career. She made impossible demands, was never happy, never gave positive feedback, attacked employees for trivial reasons or with only partial information, never took responsibility for her own mistakes and was, unfortunately, poorly educated. On my second day, several co-workers warned me about how awful she is, and I soon learned this was true. I was made a key holder within three months of starting, but then the abuse got worse. One assistant manager just hid in the back room whenever she could, and mostly avoided doing any work. Most of the store team was unmotivated to work hard because they knew they'd get yelled at no matter what they did, sometimes for nothing at all, by the store manager. I lasted 18 months until I couldn't take it anymore. Customers were great, co-workers were great, corporate ( including DM) is clueless, but work environment at this store is toxic.
Pros
Nice discount
Cons
Horrible management, Toxic work environment
Corporate office is an awful place to work! Stay away!
Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Hingham, MAMay 1, 2016
I worked in the product integrity group at Talbots for about 6 months. I quit because I started suffering from depression. Two of the three women that worked in the group were insufferable. They were rude, alienating and acted like they were better than me. They claimed to be so incredibly busy yet had hours a day to spend talking about the steps on their fit bits and various 5ks they had run over the past weeks. Unless you feel like picking up the slack, crying on your way home every night and dreading going to work everyday (not to mention get treated like dirt) then I would highly recommend you stay away from the Talbots Corporate Office (especially the product integrity group).
Pros
Cons
To many to list
fun and productive
SALES ASSOCIATE/DESK ASSOCIATE (Current Employee) –  Chevy Chase, MDDecember 18, 2015
A typical day at work includes assisting the customers during their shopping experience as well as during their transactions at the register. Maintaining the appearance of the sales floor, filling in the product, keeping the cash wrap stocked and well maintained. Answering the telephones quickly and accurately, transferring calls, answering customers questions. etc The management team at Talbots Chevy Chase is awesome! All very hard working people who do an outstanding job. The associates are also awesome and there is a diverse group of people. The hardest part of the job is assuring that each and EVERY customer has received exceptional service and will be likely to return to the store. The most enjoyable part of the job is being able to assist different people, with different needs, and different backgrounds whom all visit the store for the same reason: THE GREAT CUSTOMER SERVICE.
Pros
management, pay, incentives
Cons
no opportunity for promotions
very fun enjoyable workplace
Visual Window Display Associate (Current Employee) –  Charlottesville, VAApril 3, 2016
sending out orders and send sales, cover on the sales floor, unpack inventory, organize inventory. I learned how to do floor sets and window displays and how to do the sales associate job correct. Everyone of my co-workers are awesome I enjoy everyday when I have to work with them. The hardest part of my job is when I have nothing to do. The most enjoyable is my visual duties and my co-workers.
Pros
good breaks, great people, visual duties, 50% discount
Cons
low pay, no promotions
Productive, manageable and friendly environment
Part-time sales associate (Former Employee) –  Bridgewater, NJMay 17, 2016
My experience at Talbots was enjoyable compared to my other jobs because the manager was approachable and friendly. I didn't get the feeling that I was in tight working environment which is good. And my co-workers were able to help in all aspects of the store whether it was with deliveries, cleaning up the shelves, putting things away or sorting out the area. I was able to learn and deal with things quickly and efficiently.
Pros
Approachable co-workers and manager, flexible schedule, friendly learning environment and flexible lunch breaks.
Cons
Part-time work hours in the summer
Avoid at all costs
Research and Support Associate (Current Employee) –  Knoxville, TNOctober 14, 2015
Stay far, far away from this place. In 7 years, they gave everyone one 2% raise. If they don't like you, they will fabricate evidence and fire you. They only care about the temp associates.
Womens Retail Store
Operations Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Montclair, NJApril 13, 2016
In Talbots you have to teach yourself, there is no foundation training, it is basically winging it.I learned a lot by taking the initiative to learn on my own. I went from working in the stock room to being apart of the visual merchandising team to the position I am currently in, which is operations Key Holder. I have had a selected few great managers, who cheered on for my success and growth within the company, therefor I am grateful for their guidance. The job it's self is enjoyable and the visual aspect of the job is my favorite, however it is the staff that can be very draining and make the time very unpleasant. Working with women only can be competitive and a bit problematic but I try to stray away from the drama.
Good company and bad company to work for
Assistant Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  Farmington, CTAugust 14, 2016
Benefits as full-time manager are exceptional. As an associate I worked very hard for the little pay I was given. However working the company built my character and my leadership skills. Unfortunately the West Farms location is the beast of retail. Plus the current general manager needs to go back to management 101. Very nice woman but if you don't do what she wants she will make you pay. Half the management staff needs to be replaced with more structured and priotizing individuals. The other management staff works very hard to make the business succeed because they are passionate about all parts of the work place. You want to treat everyone with fairness, and when the time needs it, delegation and assertiveness needs to happen. All associates are very good associates and they respect one another. They often express their concerns about the training and communication of management. Again, there are two Assistants working their butt off while the other are running around with no agenda or list of tasks to complete especially with the priorities needs in the store
Pros
benefits as full time associates
Cons
management leadership
Fun Place to Work; Higher Expectation;
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Knoxville, TNApril 15, 2016
One day, I came to work at Talbot. My manager layed out the assignments that were needed to be done in 4 hour shift. I asked the MOD of what were priorities and which ones were not. I focused on the major parts that were required due to the changes of sales.
From this job, I learned all lot about time management. Teamwork were also a huge play in order to get the job done. The most important thing that I enjoyed was getting along with everyone in the company. It makes a big differences when everyone is on the same feeling of getting it done and making it fun at the same time.
Pros
Teamwork; Fast paced
Cons
Healthcare
Steady work but terriable Management
Replenishment Associate (Current Employee) –  Lakeville, MAAugust 17, 2016
The leads and managers like to play favorites and reward certain people not based on their productivity.

I was promised a shift change to a earlier time weeks in advance and all I get is the run around when I ask about it a month later.

Managers don't answer the questions you ask which leaves me to wonder why they encourage us to ask questions in the first place?
Pros
friendly co-workers good breaks full benefits
Cons
Management is horrible
Focused environment, friendly superiors, that give great compensation
Warehouse Associate (Current Employee) –  Lakeville, MAMay 18, 2016
Talbot's is an excellent entry level job. The workload is production based, so high numbers are expected, but not forced down your throat. The company gives free lunches when holiday seasons roll around, and overtime is always offered for those interested. The superiors are very amiable people, who give everyone a fair shot. I would recommend Talbot's to any one of my friends
Pros
Free lunches from time to time, 3 breaks per day, fair pay
Cons
Not many slow days
Exceptionally professional work environment
Key Holder (Current Employee) –  North CarolinaMarch 11, 2016
I love our work environment at Talbots. I am impressed by the fact that we are NOT paid on commission which might cause someone to give a client false information about a prospective new outfit. Our team is just that a great team. Each team member has strengths that are used at various times during the day. For example we all work together to help with processing new products as well as keeping the store clean and organized. We figure out ways to work together in advance: for example we now do our mannequins for new floor sets ahead of time. I would NOT consider even looking elsewhere for another position. Before I started working at Talbots I had offers from two other retail stores and I selected Talbots!!!! Glad I did. Our team is very positive and I look forward to going to have fun each time I am scheduled.
Pros
Discounts on latest fashions
Cons
Building gives limited space in Back Room
Pride and integrity for the company and clients
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Norcross, GAJanuary 20, 2016
Everyday is different because you have different clients coming in for different needs. You have to treat the returning clients with the same energy and excitement and customer service as the new clients. What I learned is to treat and respect people like you want want to be treaded. Management is always there to assists to retain your goals. Co-workers are fun and team players, more like family. The hardest part of the job is recovery after a busy day. The most enjoyable part of the job is the smiles and satisfaction of the clients.
Pros
Good quality merchandise and training standards
Cons
Hours are sometimes gauged by sales.
Great people to work with.
Senior Systems Analyst (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLMay 25, 2015
My typical day at Talbots was 10 to 12 hours, lunch at my desk. Also shared 24/7 beeper with one other person. We supported 6 key mainframe systems, resolved any data or coding issues, also did new development as requested.
There is very little training offered at Talbots, but working with knowledgeable and friendly, helpful people allowed me to learn much about the main frame, DB2 and databases, and other Web Based systems.
Management at Talbots is promoted from technical workers, and receive very little actual management training. However, they work hard and are dedicated to keeping the systems running smoothly.
Co-workers at Talbots are highly skilled and friendly and helpful. They make the bad days tolerable. In case of problems, everyone is willing to pitch in and help.
The hardest part of working at Talbots was the management expectation of long hours and no pay raises for several years. We had several lay-offs and it was difficult to lose old friends and to see the struggles that they had.
The best part of Talbots was the people who work there and the covered parking.
Pros
Comraderie of IT workers and the business users we supported.
Cons
Long hours, unreasonable expectations from management