Talbots Employee Reviews

I love my job
Sales Associate/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Aurora, ILJuly 27, 2016
Talbots such an awesome place to work, I've learned so much over the 4 years that i have been working there your required to welcome everyone as they make there way in,as well as checking up on them. we also offer and are expected to sign customers up for credit cards as well as our loyalty cards. It isn't always easy to get credit cards but i have learned how to work with customers and you need to learn your product in order to be able to sell it. my management team is always willing to help and we all play a part in the company. I could honestly say that we are a family there .
Pros
family-like atmosphere, I love my customers, style dollars
Cons
no yearly raises and no advancement oppotunities
Strong brand finding its way
Area Manager - Store Manager - Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Vienna, WVNovember 13, 2016
Talbots went through many changes during my tenure. The corporate communications and organizational culture was excellent. Compensation and recognition were unparallelled. DM territories were a bit large for a strong leadership culture.
Pros
compensation & benefits, corporate culture, discounts
Cons
room for advancement in a small town
Good company and bad company to work for
Assistant Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  Farmington, CTAugust 14, 2016
Benefits as full-time manager are exceptional. As an associate I worked very hard for the little pay I was given. However working the company built my character and my leadership skills. Unfortunately the West Farms location is the beast of retail. Plus the current general manager needs to go back to management 101. Very nice woman but if you don't do what she wants she will make you pay. Half the management staff needs to be replaced with more structured and priotizing individuals. The other management staff works very hard to make the business succeed because they are passionate about all parts of the work place. You want to treat everyone with fairness, and when the time needs it, delegation and assertiveness needs to happen. All associates are very good associates and they respect one another. They often express their concerns about the training and communication of management. Again, there are two Assistants working their butt off while the other are running around with no agenda or list of tasks to complete especially with the priorities needs in the store
Pros
benefits as full time associates
Cons
management leadership
Steady work but terriable Management
Replenishment Associate (Current Employee) –  Lakeville, MAAugust 17, 2016
The leads and managers like to play favorites and reward certain people not based on their productivity.

I was promised a shift change to a earlier time weeks in advance and all I get is the run around when I ask about it a month later.

Managers don't answer the questions you ask which leaves me to wonder why they encourage us to ask questions in the first place?
Pros
friendly co-workers good breaks full benefits
Cons
Management is horrible
Calm and Friendly Clientel
Client Service Specialist (Current Employee) –  Montclair, NJSeptember 1, 2016
Working at Talbots is a fun experience for anyone looking into retail or women's fashion. Offering refine ware for the everyday business women to casual wear for her everyday outings. You'll find something there. Since working here I've learned that pretty much any piece of clothing can be dressed up or dressed down to fit whatever the occasion may be and that it's okay to experiment with a little color.
Pros
Short Shifts, Friendly Environment, Early Closes
Cons
Short Shifts, No benefits
Needs to start executing the values promoted
Financial Analyst (Current Employee) –  Hingham, MANovember 30, 2016
There is a massive disconnect between executives/ upper management and the rest of the company. Morale is MUCH lower than touted. Benefits are poor, communication is nonexistent, and there is almost zero room for growth.
Pros
Easy to get to
Cons
benefits, management, lack of raises
Great working environment
Client Specialist (Management) (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLNovember 17, 2016
Great customers
Great environment and customer service
Lack of good pay and job advancement/security
Compensation and hours are based on a certain budget available for payroll
Pros
Customer Service
Cons
Compensation
Worst management team ever
Keyholder (Former Employee) –  Carlsbad, CAJuly 2, 2016
The manager at this Carlsbad, CA store location is one of the worst I've ever had in my long retail career. She made impossible demands, was never happy, never gave positive feedback, attacked employees for trivial reasons or with only partial information, never took responsibility for her own mistakes and was, unfortunately, poorly educated. On my second day, several co-workers warned me about how awful she is, and I soon learned this was true. I was made a key holder within three months of starting, but then the abuse got worse. One assistant manager just hid in the back room whenever she could, and mostly avoided doing any work. Most of the store team was unmotivated to work hard because they knew they'd get yelled at no matter what they did, sometimes for nothing at all, by the store manager. I lasted 18 months until I couldn't take it anymore. Customers were great, co-workers were great, corporate ( including DM) is clueless, but work environment at this store is toxic.
Pros
Nice discount
Cons
Horrible management, Toxic work environment
Good co-workers
Customer Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Worthington, OHJune 29, 2016
A busy work place. The staff worked as a team. The hardest thing was working with irate patients. I enjoyed working with the staff, interns, and physicians.
Pros
Great co-workers, School reimbursement, Benefits, Incentive for perfect attendance
Productive and positive work environment
Key Holder (Current Employee) –  Perrysburg, OHOctober 30, 2016
A day at Talbots is a day full of creating stunning looks for ladies anywhere in between 45-65, sometimes even younger, and a few that tell me they're not a day over 21. Following her lead, my shift consists of pairing casual pieces with refined styles, in hopes of pleasing her eye and supporting her classic style.

A huge part of my development has come from the operational management role I've had to take on, which consists of shipping and receiving, inventory, and floor sets (setting windows, hanging banners, building walls) in their entirety.

I've learned what a challenging and meticulous job retail can be, whether it be folding every item of clothing in the store to perfection nightly, pinning our beautiful fabrics to mannequins without damaging them during monthly floor sets, or dealing with the fashion crises of many women.
Pros
Small group of ladies
Cons
Unable to offer full time
Great Fashionable Environment
Desk Associate/Sales Associate/Communications (Former Employee) –  Chevy Chase, MDJanuary 7, 2016
A typical day at work can be anywhere from a long line and messing clothes laying everywhere. To dealing with an emotional customer/customers who cant find anything to wear because of either time or the weight they gained/lost. For a male this would be an experience of a LIFEtime. Of course the majority of your co workers here are woman and you will soon learn how it is to be around woman 24/7 if you already aren't.
Pros
Discounts on clothes, great management
Cons
Short breaks and you only get benefits if you are full time.
peers were the best, they made it a fun place, caring individuals
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Knoxville TNOctober 15, 2016
Incoming call center, assisted customers with sales, tracking of orders, credit card inquiries, very little opportunity for advancement, loved the clothes/styles, 99% of customers let you know they appreciated your excellent customer service
Pros
vacation and personal time, peers were fabulous
Cons
management not all on the same page
Great Staff
Stock/Sales and Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCSeptember 29, 2016
We opened a new store and received training at another location. The training was great. Our manager was younger than all of her employees and they may have felt intimidated by her facial expressions or other things she did or did not do. She took it out on everyone when the sales were not reaching the goals. She made it a stressful environment. This is why I went back to school and finished my degree in Technical Management, because I'm interested in figuring out how the environment can be a healthy one and how to keep employees happy and motivated so that we can perform our best daily.
Pros
Staff and customers
Cons
A manager who has a hard time dealing with stress.
Great place to build wonderful relationships with coworkers and customers.
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Sewickley, PASeptember 29, 2016
A typical day at work is an awesome combination of all aspects of retail. I learned a great deal of patience and realized that saying yes is a wonderful feeling and making people happy is what retail should be about. My management is supportive and helpful while coworkers are hardworking toward a common goal. The hardest part of the job is feeling torn in several directions at once. The most enjoyable part of my job is the relationships that I have built with the customers!
Only good for temporary work
Client Specialist (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCOctober 23, 2016
This place will be awesome for the first few months but then they'll get tired of helping you advance and force you to work harder for a pay that isn't worth it. The customers and some managers usually discriminate as well.
fun upscale shopping
Shipping and Receiving Clerk (Former Employee) –  Los Gatos, CASeptember 14, 2015
clock in on register in store. Once to the stock room I would start unpacking shipment look at guide to tell me what garment goes where, determine what items go on sale/come down as back stock, pull items for online orders, fed ex forms make appointment for pickup. I learned how to speak with customers with more etiquette. Management was great!! By far some of the nicest most flexible boss. Majority of the coworkers were an older crowed (50-60's) but so full of life and great tips about the job. The hardest part was after moving to Milpitas it was harder to get to Los Gatos for work.
Pros
Full time employees get benefits, rewards for achievments, family type atmosphere
Productive and exciting workplace
Sales Associate/ Cashier (Current Employee) –  Fresno, CAMarch 2, 2016
A typical day in a retail job often consists of maintaining a store environment that is a pleasant experience for customers.I handle a wide variety of routine tasks, such as pulling reports; managing cash; marketing and promotional roll-outs. In addition, working retail we can expect to deal with customer complaints, employee work delegation, staff shortages, equipment failures and other unexpected things that occur in a retail environment.
I couldn't ask for a better management team, they always provided me with constructive criticism on how I could become a better team member.
The hardest part of the job was facing with some difficulties with some of the customers beliefs about working with me.
The most enjoyable part of my job was working with my staff and seeing how happy my customers were with my assistance.
Medium speed at this job
Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAOctober 25, 2016
Working for talbots was a good second job for me as far as retail clothing stores goes, at the time I really needed a job and had no idea of how much I knew nothing about women's clothing. I had great coworker there showing me the ways of everything and I had experience of cashiering and greeting customers also inventory. All there were fun for me, the experience was great.
Pros
Wish the luck was free
Cons
Wish the breaks were longer
Focused environment, friendly superiors, that give great compensation
Warehouse Associate (Current Employee) –  Lakeville, MAMay 18, 2016
Talbot's is an excellent entry level job. The workload is production based, so high numbers are expected, but not forced down your throat. The company gives free lunches when holiday seasons roll around, and overtime is always offered for those interested. The superiors are very amiable people, who give everyone a fair shot. I would recommend Talbot's to any one of my friends
Pros
Free lunches from time to time, 3 breaks per day, fair pay
Cons
Not many slow days
Very competitive, no teamwork, unprofessional management team, unhealthy dust enviroment.
Cashier/Sales Clerk (Former Employee) –  Destin, FLJanuary 27, 2016
Was very happy when I first started working here. A few weeks into my employment here, I started noticing the abuse of management toward employees. There was absolutely no teamwork, and was highly discouraged. I thought it very odd, due to the demands made on upping sales. I put up with allot because I was new. It got worse when the management was replaced. The last straw was when I was made to stay three hours past clock out time. I indured three hours of being cursed at and made fun of in front of other employees. As a result this manager was fired and Law suits are still in progress. I didn't like the fact that they wanted to work you sixty hours a week during busy season and drop you to six hours a week in off season, without forewarning. And divided those six hours up into three days. This company has allot of issues.