Talbots

Talbots Employee Reviews

Productive work place and environment great people
Loss Prevention Officer (Current Employee), Hingham, MAMay 24, 2015
A typical day at work : I come to work 10 -15 minutes early so I can relieve my co-worker on time. I answer phone calls from all of our Talbots stores and direct them as needed. Anything that goes on is put in the log.
Productive with a trendy work enviorment
Assistant Manager (Current Employee), Nashville, TNMay 16, 2015
Pros: Rewards program, Co-workers
Cons: Healthcare, Scheduling
We help woman look and feel their best. We provided personal shopping appointments to help manage their time. We go above and beyond to help meet our customers needs. Community outreach with local businesses and charities are apart of who we are. We love giving back to others!
No room for growth
Key Holder/Sales Lead (Current Employee), Collierville, TNMay 13, 2015
It's really hard to advance your career at Talbots because the people who are in management aren't going anywhere any time soon. They'll die in their positions. I guess that's good for them because they must really love the job. However, its not ideal for people looking for advancement. The pay isn't great either but its above minimum wage.
very comfortable friendly place to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Niagara Falls, NYApril 22, 2015
Pros: interacting with customers
Cons: short breaks
A typical day at work for me is interacting with customers shopping in the store, helping them with sizes and recommended certain styles for their body types. Folding and hanging clothing. Cashing customers out at the register, offering the company credit card to every non cardholder shopping in the store.
Great people
Assistant Manager (Current Employee), North WalesMarch 28, 2015
Talbots is lovely! The people I wok with are great and so are the customers. It is a very high quality product that both the customers and associates are passionate about.
Work Experience
Store Manager (Former Employee), Charlotte, NCMarch 26, 2015
Pros: small network
Cons: favoritism
I have been with Talbots for over 10 years. I found much personal and professional growth with the company. However, in the midst of my growth in the company, I discovered operations was driven by personal relationships, inconsistent follow through and treatment, as well as unfair targets. I discovered the company to be one where their employees are used to their benefit and replaced as needs be. My time and dedication to the company proved meaningless and I saw my skill set would no longer be appreciated and valued.
seasonal
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Hagerstown, MDMarch 18, 2015
This was my first job and i worked here just seasonal. It paid very well for a first time seasonal job! besides that i didnt like the manager back in 2011 i know they have had a new one since then.
The company has changed over the years. It no longer cares about its employees. It is all about the dollars. Everyone is disposable.
GENERAL MANAGER (Former Employee), Savannah, GAMarch 13, 2015
Pros: my co-workers were wonderful and all worked hard.
Cons: district management provides no support and is very negative.
Employees are under valued and there is a lack of job security for members of management. Many members of management have lost their jobs this past year due to downsizing and cost cutting. Be prepared to work overnight shifts every month to complete floor sets. They can not be done while the store is open. If your store closes at 9PM you have to start the floor set then and finish before you open the next morning.
Middle management was good
Financial Analyst (Former Employee), Hingham, MAMarch 10, 2015
Pros: employee discounts
Cons: pay scale was on the lower end of the spectrum.
Management was overall good and supportive, particularly line management (ie., Directors of Store Location Planning, and Finance). Little overtime was required.
Definitely dedicated to customers
Assistant Store Manger (Former Employee), Gonzales, LAMarch 4, 2015
Pros: employee discount
Cons: management
Management style not friendly, aggressive and dishonest. Management not taking responsibility for non-working employees or employees who show up late, and who call out on a weekly basis. Management babies younger employees and disregards others. Co-workers were relatively friendly and caring for others. Benefits were fair.
Excellent place to work with great advancement options
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Santa Barbara, CAFebruary 26, 2015
Typical day at Talbots involves greeting your customers, making sure they feel welcome and comfortable with you helping them, getting excited about their choices and suggesting some great accessories.

I learned that many ladies can feel vulnerable when clothes shopping, and associates really do make a difference when they genuinely get excited about helping them find "just the right piece."

Management is amazing. The store manager really brings out the "teammate" in all of us.
Repeated
Lead Visual, (Former Employee), Philadelphia, PAFebruary 17, 2015
Everything has been expressed within the first entry of Talbots. Great Place to work. with freedom to keep your own clientele along with great team members.
proud of teamwork amoung peirs
Sales Support -sales associate (Current Employee), Waterford, CTFebruary 6, 2015
I would prepare for business opening .I learned how important good customer service drives business. I would never be afraid to consult with management advice. Worked wonderful with all co-workers. The hardest part of the job was having to much time off. The best part of the job was having the pride in this company.
Good Company
Assistant Store Manger (Current Employee), Flemington, NJFebruary 1, 2015
Talbots is a good company to work for. The travel time from home to work is becoming too much. Great co-workers

Quality products and company
Great place to work with a family-like environment
Sales associate/Key holder (Current Employee), Birmingham, ALJanuary 15, 2015
Pros: reasonable pay and fun co-workers
Cons: unstable hours, inconsistent expectations, unreliable employees
A typical day at work includes selling clothing and credit cards to customers, coaching associates, and performing daily tasks such as visual merchandising, processing shipment, and organizing my client book. I have learned many different aspects of retail and business throughout this job by differentiating superior customer service from average customer service. I have learned how to clientele, prioritize my tasks in a timely efficient manner, manage over 15 employees, and plan and organize visual changes and floorsets. I have many co-workers that take much pride in their work and always have a great attitude; however, there are some co-workers that I feel won't exude their true potential and cause unnecessary work for the ones who really care about their job.

The hardest part of my job is balancing 3 different aspects of retail (operational, visual, and selling) while being part-time and having a very inexperienced and under-established staff.

The most enjoyable part of my job is seeing all of our hard work as a team being collaborated to end with a successful result. I also enjoy my co-workers, thoroughly-- I feel as though they are a second family to me.
Fun job and great learning experience
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Auburn Hills, MIJanuary 5, 2015
Working here gave me great insight on working with many people and being able to manage them and their schedules. Each person had many needs and requests for their work lives and I realized the value of flexibility in a persons personal vs. work life. I was able to work with individuals to help them become more productive at work by working with them. This was a fun job and a great learning experience.
Changes
Sales, Customer Service and Credit Agent (Former Employee), Knoxville, TNJanuary 5, 2015
Talbots when I started there was great, as the economy took a downturn, as many companies did, it made changes. I understand companies had to make changes, but they moved away from being customer service oriented (and I firmly believe customer service is a strong selling point for all customers), to making all of it's call center employees sales first, customer service last. I was there for 5 years, and I can't say they were bad because they weren't, they did train, and work with their employees; they didn't just give up on employees if they didn't succeed right away. My biggest complaint is they had a handful of employees who were very strong in the customer service area, and when they went to the sales first approach, they easily could have had those employees primarily handling customer service calls, to give the customer the best experience possible. Instead you noticed people not ready, not experienced, or just not capable taking customer service calls. It caused a lot of complaints in my opinion. This caused stress on our leads, where the mistakes would be escalated to or the experienced customer service employees who would try their best with in their abilities to fix the issues.

My other large complaint is promotions. I was there 5 years and in customer service for 4 years. I applied for promotions 6 or 7 times at least, with strong recommendations for each assistant manager I worked under, and leads I worked under as well. I never received a promotion except within my 1st year from sales to customer service. They did hire from outside the company at times, and train – more... people from scratch to be a lead, or they would hire people who had very little customer service experience to be a lead, when we were all cross trained in customer service, credit, and sales. I felt they overlooked real possibilities when promoting (or not promoting). And it wasn't just me, there were very strong candidates when I applied and a lot of us would have been great leads, and we would all get passed over in most occasions. I can say I thing out of the 6 or 7 times I tried for a promotion, 2 of those they made good choices for promoting.

I do believe this company has been bought out by an investment group, so the work environment maybe very different. – less
love work with different culture groups.
Sales Associate/Customer Service (Former Employee), Upper Montclair, NJDecember 16, 2014
Pros: new shipment
Cons: health insurance
i learned working in a work space that i didn't always judge people on they work area, i always enjoyed helping people and meeting new people and being great at they service, i love to dress the elderly into the fancy fabric that the store brought in. i never had bad customer service experience with the public i always made sure the the customers was satisfied and happy.
Great corporate support, but lacks diversity.
Store Management (Former Employee), Naples, FLDecember 3, 2014
Pros: people, client programs
Cons: poor pay, training program needs improvement
Nice store setting, valuable directives, great corporate support with product knowledge and customer care.
Needs better training programs for associates, as well as diversity training. Associates spend far too long ringing one transaction because it's so complicated with all the different information they need to input and the systems are very slow. Constant issues with technology. Makes for a poor experience at the closing of the sale.
Best part is the development of the clientele program.Talbot's really strives to make it a personal experience that builds lasting relationships and loyalty.
Very professional, enjoyable place to work
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Athens, GANovember 28, 2014
Pros: working with others and making them feel and look better
Cons: i was forced to get another position else where, because i was just not paid enough to support my family.
I was considered a part-time employee, so I only worked about 30 hours a week, had a varying schedule, which I enjoyed. It is fun to me not doing the "Same old thing over and over." My title at Talbots was "Lead Sales" and I was also a "Key Holder" which meant I could open and close the store when needed. I love to shop, and most of my shopping was done at a Talboys store, so I was already familiar with their clothing, what looked nice together, ect. My manager was a very nice lady with a good disposiiton in life. She was very posiitve and had a wonderful heart. I really enjoyed working for her. When I showed interest in something, she was there to show me the correct way to perform said task and stayed with me until I mastered the task. The co-workers that I worked with were much younger than me, college age mostly, and they were very kind girls. There weren't too many hard things about my experience at Talbots, but if I had to say one thing that I found challenging, it was when an unhappy customer would enter the store and trying my best to please that customer so she would leave the store in a better mood than she entered the store with. I am very good at working with difficult people, so this was always a challenge for me, and 95% of the time, I would succeed at lifting that customer's spirits and making their time at Talbots a plesent one.
The most enjoyable part of my job was selling clothes to women that made them look better. I am a very honest person with others and don't sell something just to make a commission. I try very hard to make one look better and feel comfortable at the same time. Once I have accomplished that, It really made me happy, especially when I would see them return to the store and specifically ask for me by name. It was a very huge compliment to me.

1 2 3 4 5

About Talbots

In the trend-driven world of women's fashion, The Talbots is a 'head-to-toe' constant.¬†Although it flirted with hipper styles, – Read more

Talbots Salaries