Tallahassee Community College Employee Reviews

Working as a Secretary and Teacher Assistant.
Student Work (Former Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLFebruary 13, 2013
Prepare and manage correspondence, reports and documents
organize and coordinate meetings, conferences, travel arrangements
take,type and distribute minutes of meetings
implement and maintain office systems
maintain schedules and calendars
arrange and confirm appointments
organize internal and external events
handle incoming mail and other material
set up and maintain filing systems.

Discuss assigned duties with classroom teachers in order to coordinate instructional efforts.
Prepare lesson materials, bulletin board displays, exhibits, equipment, and demonstrations.
Present subject matter to students under the direction and guidance of teachers, using lectures, discussions, or supervised role-playing methods.
Tutor and assist students individually or in small groups in order to help them master assignments and to reinforce learning concepts presented by teachers.
Pros
working in the communication and humanities department
productive, interactive workplace
Administrative Assistant Senior Cashier (Former Employee) –  Tallahassee, FloridaOctober 28, 2014
A typical day as an administrative assistant varied from day to day, which kept it interesting. I was responsible for greeting students upon entrance, scheduling or re-scheduling appointments. Answering the phone within three rings, transferring, taking messages, operating the copy machine/ facsimile. And occasionally running errands. All the while making sure that everything pertaining to the front area was running calmly, peacefully and in order. My co-workers and I often times worked together to ensure that everything was operating smoothly, if someone was held up working on a specific task, the others would fill in. The hardest part of the job was trying to keep the peace while students are raging in anger. The easiest part of the job was the face to face interaction with the students.
productive and interactive work place
Supervisor - Aprell Griffin (Current Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLMarch 16, 2015
A typical day at work includes assisting customers, organizing data and files, manually totaling all drawer totals and the end of the day. Ive learned to access personal student information and operate in a system using keys that navigate through the computer system. The management is INCREDIBLE the supervisor checks on employees daily and teaches employees new and different ways to figure out the answers to student questions. Co-workers are friendly and helpful to those that are confused with any navigations and problems within the system. The most enjoyable part of my job is being able to assist students with information regarding their account and anything witholding their registration into school.
Pros
flexible hours, small office
A place where I learned to work well with others and gained plenty knowledge and experience
Record Specialist (Former Employee) –  Tallahassee,FLJanuary 18, 2012
On this job I sometimes helped students with their online application and other questions that they posed when if I was in that area. The environment was intense but it only motivated me to work faster to get the work done. I worked with individuals who had been employee of our department for many years. I was able to acquire much knowledge and got to assist new employees. As a student at the time, the job provided me with information that facilitated my experience while in school. We had meetings every Friday afternoon to obtain the status of our improvements or faults that week.
Pros
flexible, office lunches and breakfast
Cons
misplaced paper work sometimes
Productive at all times
Economic & Workforce Development (Former Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLJanuary 21, 2014
Working with adults to become students to obtain their GED is rewarding. I learn people communicate in many different ways. Therefore to be a successful teacher/instructor/coordinator, I must learn the culture of many people. With guide lines all can learn and reach their goals and become very successful. I feel we are ALL STUDENTS. WE CAN ALWAYS LEARN SOMETHING.

Coordinating programs for TCC Economic Workforce Development is challenging. TCC EWD has various learning sites. It was my responsibility setting up sites and aiding in hiring teachers for that particular site, whether it was in a school, hospital, library, or prison.
Pros
learning enviroment
Cons
ops positions/ not permanent
Internship at HR office
Information Technician Intern (Former Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLJuly 23, 2012
Overall, my internship at the human resources dept was great. Staff were kind and friendly. Co-workers did not hesitate to help me, when they were not busy or had a time crunch. I was able to work independently and finish my work quickly and in peace. I shared an office with two other co-workers. Although we had 3 employees in one office, work days were rather quiet with small talk from time to time. I worked with minimal supervision from co-workers and my supervisor. I was able to finish assignments quickly and often I ended up with nothing to do, so I was often sent home. (I worked as an OPS).
Pros
great campus, close parking, relaxed environment, good place to grow
I need to help family with finances by finding employment
College Student (Current Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLJuly 1, 2012
Most of my jobs were to work in inclement weather, holidays, and some weekends. I drove over the road in the Southeast with MBM for Chick-Fil-A restaurants. I was part of management with Barbers dairy which I supervised 12 employees. The hardest part of all the jobs were loading and unloading the trucks besides no touch freight. The most enjoyable times I had working with driving jobs was the independence of being alone, being responsible, and as always drive with all the safety precautions because of the crazy drivers who do not need a driver's license.
Pros
good benefits and bonus's
Cons
no holiday time
While working for TCC, my position allowed me to connect with other adult students,as well as the importance of staying connected to complete anything
PEER LEADER (Former Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLMay 27, 2014
A typical day at work consisted of assisting professors, having daily meetings in regards to the " Pantry," which is for students who have financial problems, will have one less stress of having a meal to eat during hard times. We also have a community "garden," that we are trying to incorporate into the Pantry. I learned leadership skills and service learning, while expanding my education and knowledge.
Pros
working with fellow students and staying connected to my future goal.
Cons
healthcare and part-time
Great opportunities for adjunct professors!
Adjunct Professor (Former Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLMay 15, 2013
The Communications and Humanities Division at Tallahassee Community College offers a great chance for an aspiring professor to gain experience in the classroom. The student body is largely committed to doing good academic work, and any teacher who is willing to take the time to be personally invested in his or her students will find great reward in making a positive impact on these young minds.
My job is a good all job have theri pros and cons
Custodial Worker (Current Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLMarch 3, 2015
My typical day at work is good there are good thing that happen and bad that's life. I have duties everyday I learn way s to make my job easer. I get a long with my management team and my co-workers. The hardest part is getting my supplies ready because sometimes we do more than one task. The enjoyable is that I do different task so it makes the day go by.
Pros
we have good benfits.
Cons
my day start at 6.00 am
Productive and Insightful on how a community based program is structured.
Assistant/Intern (Former Employee) –  444 Appleyard DriveJuly 23, 2014
Working in the Take Stock in Children office,a typical day would begin with me arriving 8:00am and greeting my co-workers. I would begin working on any previous tasks that I have been assigned and presenting them to my manager. I would make sure that all files are up to date and that each student personal file is correctly positioned for easy access.
wonderful work environment
clerical work-study (Former Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLJuly 25, 2012
I worked there as a work-study. The professors were very supportive and I assited them with different tasks on a day to day basis. I also assisted students with any questions they had and delivering papers or assignments to the correct professor. I also handled opening and delivering incoming and outgoing mail.
Pros
great people, great hours
Cons
delivering mail to the mailroom in the rain.
Productive and fun workplace with very flexible hours
Information Technology / Intern (Current Employee) –  Tallahassee,FlaJune 26, 2012
A typical day at work is productive and fun. There is a lot I have learned working here.
The management is great to get along with, as well as my co-workers. The hardest part of the job is not having enough hours, While most enjoyable part of the job is getting to know everyone.
Pros
flexible hours, nice people, good salary
Cons
job unstability

Comment – July 23, 2012

Nice.. I had an Internship like that; Mine was Information Technician and worked in Human Resources Dept. Your review sounds a lot like the internship I had at TCC.

Productive and Educational workplace that's like family.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLOctober 8, 2012
I enjoyed this job from beginning to end. The staff was more like family instead of just co-workers. All with the same mentality and teamwork ethics. Dedicating ourselves to our students and their success. As well as helping them along with Graduating with their High School Diploma.
Pros
very uplifting spirits and smiles all day.
Productive Work Place
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLOctober 26, 2015
A busy place to work with students.. I have learn to that in this line of work you have to multitask and i love working with the students.
Management is great hands on very helpful. my co workers are great i felt like family.. The most enjoyable part was planning the events.
Pros
free lunches, trips
Benefits
work place
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  TallahasseeMay 3, 2015
Tallahassee Community college has always been a great place to work! A typical day at work was very busy, answering and transferring phone calls, scheduling appointments and etc. The hardest part about my job was staying focused when we were slow and the easiest part was helping students to get what they need.
part-time job during the time of attending school. Work Study.
File Clerk (Former Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLJune 26, 2013
answered phone calls & direct them to the proper extensions or person they needed to talk to. Opened mail daily & disturbuted them in teachers mailboxes. Walk around campus picking up & delivering documentations. There was no hard work about it.
Cons
very short break.
fun and productive work place a great place to learn
Student (Former Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLSeptember 9, 2012
i learned alot from my professors and my class mates they showed me how to take resposibility for my actions learn to ask questions if you dont kno the answer it also showed me that if you work hard and strive for it your you can do or be anything you want to be
To many administrative duties.
Associate Professor, Science-Math Division (Current Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLSeptember 18, 2015
Faculty and Staff are very friendly. Administration would do well to communicate with Faculty more about our concerns with the increasing amount of non-teaching duties.
Pros
Faculty get along well
Cons
Large class sizes, pay below average
Very relaxed atmosphere
Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLNovember 3, 2012
Always busy with a lot of variety. Repairing light fixtures, repairing plumbing problems, carpentry, air handlers
Good management
Great co-workers
Having to work outside sometimes(winter)
Could always get help if needed.
Pros
great place to work
Cons
low pay

4.3