TAMKO Employee Reviews in United States

Wonderful place to work...very high salary compared to other places and a rotating work shift , which allowed lots of time with family
Electrician/Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Frederick, MDFebruary 19, 2016
Great place to work...different challenges daily. Worked 12 hour shift with 3 breaks during day. Had 3 production lines...2 would be producing product while we performed preventive maintenance on the line that was "down". During my 9 years there it was an ongoing learning experience....combining my job in maintenance and how it affected and could improve the production process.We worked in four man maintenance crews..I enjoyed the working with my crew..working together and troubleshooting maintenance issues was one of the best parts of the job. Probably the worse part of the job was the production process and product being manufactured resulted in a very dirty work environment...and working on machine sometimes required laying in water and mud....constant dust in the air.
Pros
Salary, rotating work schedule, scheduled for 16 days each month 15 off days, fixed so once each month you had 7 consecutive days off
Cons
Very dirty work environment, lots of machinery with the potential for injury..very physically taxing at times
Poor line leaders in Joplin Mo
Forklift driver (Former Employee) –  Joplin, MOJanuary 28, 2016
Worst job I ever worked at! They hire ###kissers to take mgmt jobs than dont know from stop to go! Beware of working here!!!!!
They dont care about family at all, married to your job
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Line leaders must be from Florida
Tm
Territory Manager (Current Employee) –  Long Island, NYDecember 3, 2015
The company pays well. They do not train the rep, they give you a laptop and throw you into the market. Sink or swim, no help.
Pros
Comp
Cons
Too much work.
There are better places
Manager (Former Employee) –  Tuscaloosa, ALNovember 3, 2015
Owned and run by one family. The owner makes all the final decisions at multiple locations around the country. They have some rigid concepts about who they want to hire and how fast they should progress. Owner is a lawyer so, many decisions are risk based. Most Leadership at plant levels change very frequently.
Pros
Good compensation
Cons
Frequent changes and lack of control by local leadership
Maint. Planner/Scheduler (Current Employee) –  Ennis,TxAugust 25, 2015
Tamko is a fair employer. Management is involved in all aspects of jobs on line. Everybody in plant is a team member and not an I person. Great to be employeed here.
long hours, fluctuating schedule no room for home life.
Industrial Technician (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXAugust 25, 2015
The work schedule is very demanding. There are no set guidelines. The health conditions at this plant would not be good for me in the long run. I breathe in fiberglass daily and I'm not sure what else.
Pros
pay, benefits
Cons
health, job security, advancement
Pretty good place to work
Industrial Maintenance Technician (Current Employee) –  Joplin, MOAugust 16, 2015
Great pay, and pretty good people to work with. It's really hot in the summer and really cold in the winter. Safety is the number one goal all of the time.
It pays good, but they only care about shingles
MAINTENANCE/ PLANT ELECTRICIAN (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJuly 14, 2015
great pay and benefits, GREAT PEOPLE ON LINES AND MAINTENANCE,BUT MANAGEMENT IS REVOLVING DOOR
MORAL IS HORRIBLE everybody's worried about getting fired from management,
Pros
great pay and benefits
Cons
cant trust anybody, nobody cares about you
Never.HOME.
Packaging Technician-A (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXApril 1, 2015
Loved the work, training was horrible. Co-workers really don't want to to help train. Schedule is rough 4-12hr shifts two days off then 4-12hr nights, so not much of a home life.
Cons
Schedule and time away from home
real strict place
Forklift Driver (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXMarch 16, 2015
it was ok the other employes made it fun to work.we talked about ever thing.but theres no smoking on site.and we get free lunch on
holidays
Cons
we got three breaks a day pluse30 min lunch
employees are hard workers
Clean up crew member (Former Employee) –  Irving, TXOctober 21, 2014
i enjoyed my time working at tamko, it was an excellent experience to learn how making shingles is and how the machinery works.
They took care of there Employees with great Benefits.
Forklift / Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Frederick, MDOctober 2, 2014
I really liked Tamko as a company and Employer. I worked with great people to make our shift work as a Team. I learned how to manage a crew and lead by example.
Pros
benefits and paid lunches
Cons
swing shifts
TAMKO is a great company, and it is great working for them. They atmosphere is like a giant family.
Contractor Sales-Specialist (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHAugust 6, 2014
I am very thankful to work for TAMKO. They are a great company, and you cannot help but feel cared for.
Pros
they let you work like it's your business. they are very supportive, and communicate well.
Cons
there are none.
Machine Operator
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Lamar, MOMay 18, 2014
I was able to perform different jobs as needed on particular days. Jobs I performed included machine operator, loading and unloading railcars and trucks. (more details included in resume)
Pros
good paying job, good people, good overtime
Cons
job stability due to economy
far from professionals
process production trainee (fork lift driver) (Former Employee) –  joplin MoApril 28, 2014
I was put through hoop after hoop to get hired on and I started for orientaion and spent 6 hours there and when it was time to take a fork lift test I didnt even get a chance they walked me out the door without any reason. The manager said I quote "yeah its not working" and walked me out the door. Gave an employer 2 weeks notice for that. If Tamko ever is an opportunity again I will not make the same mistake twice.

If you value a stable work enviorment this is not a place for you this place is a joke
Pros
the pay was nearly 30 dollars an hour
Cons
unprofessional management
Great Company
Warehouse Manager (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMarch 11, 2014
TAMKO is a great company with great benefits and an amazing management team. I would recommend this employer to my closest friends.
Pros
management
good place to work
Robotic Palletizer Operator (Current Employee) –  Frederick, MDMarch 4, 2014
co workers are nice and managment is good always room for improvement
Pros
pay is good
Cons
shifts are long no home life
productive place
Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Tuscaloosa, ALFebruary 24, 2014
A typical day at work consisted of preparing for the shift getting the forklift check sheet done. Operate a forklift and run two lines picking up shingles and store them in the proper storage area throughout the shift and get the job done. My supervisor was very helpful and friendly. the most enjoyable part of the job after learning my job duties and responsibilities.
Pros
overtime
Good place to work if you don't smoke.
Machinist/Welder (Former Employee) –  Joplin, MOOctober 12, 2013
I worked in a division that traveled a lot. It got to be too much travel for my situation.
Pros
good pay
Cons
away from home too much
Good Company with great core values
Employee (Former Employee) –  Joplin, MOOctober 8, 2013
Great work environment that stresses safety for the production and maintenance staff. Focused on profitablility of the company and the common suppliers that they do buisness with for the mutal benefit of both. Honesty and Integrity, in all they do in buisness is a keystone to the company's core values.
Pros
core values, family environment, safety culture
Cons
not recession proof