Tampa Bay Times Employee Reviews

Great Experience
Times Correspondent (Current Employee) –  Tampa Bay, FLApril 23, 2017
I thoroughly enjoy writing for the TBT. It has been a great platform for me to cover sports, represent the Tampa Bay Area and put my name out there from a journalism standpoint.
Pros
Duties, Schedule and Reputation
Cons
Great company to work for
Recruitment Specialist (Former Employee) –  St. Petersburg, FLMarch 5, 2017
Great company to work for and I enjoyed my 14 1/2 years of employment with the Tampa Bay Times. The environment, co-workers, managers are were great individuals to work with.
Fun alot of different people some which smell bad
Warehouse Team Member (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLFebruary 21, 2017
I worked the for a few months the lead manager sucks she doesn't do anything helpful but yell.... leaves employees to manage them selves while she runs papers doesn't not fix problems. I liked some of the contractors but the management sucks
Pros
Laid back
Cons
If contractors don't show you have to deliver
Prestigious paper, often a fun place to work
Senior copy editor/designer (Former Employee) –  St. Petersburg, FLNovember 30, 2016
The Tampa Bay Times is, unfortunately, in the midst of hard times right now. It's a shame because it has traditionally been the best newspaper in Florida, and one of the best in the country. I was truly honored to work there, and enjoyed my 16 years there. Anyone who goes to work for the Times will learn a lot and become a better journalist from the experience. I hope the future brightens for them.
Great Company
Sales/Customer Service Call Center Manager (Current Employee) –  St. Petersburg, FLOctober 31, 2016
Love working here. Great Atmosphere and Great Management
Lots of changes however the helpfulness of everyone here made the transition smooth.
Pros
Great Atmosphere
great people, professional environment
Designer (Current Employee) –  St. Petersburg, FLOctober 13, 2016
Worked with a dedicated staff who were not hesitant to help me improve at my job. Professional working environment with talented people. Limited opportunities in an industry that seems to be in decline.
Pros
great staff
Cons
newspaper industry in flux
Waste of My Time
Press Operator (Former Employee) –  St Petersburg Beach, FLOctober 4, 2016
Wont last much longer as company because they are losing production jobs. Not much to print. No commercial jobs other then car adds in the daily. They should rename it The Tampa Bay Titanic.
I work in a important job from my view. Dealing on such a personal level, it is rewarding.
Obituary Writer (Current Employee) –  St. Petersburg, FLAugust 18, 2016
I come in everyday, usually first, and greet my co-workers. They are really dependable and people persons. We all work well together and have a good energy. The only hard part of the job is sometimes having to receive the calls when family's of the deceased are upset or crying. It does hit you a bit. The most enjoyable part is to hear afterwards is they call our supervisor or our CEO and give their praise. We are all part of a community and should all be kind to one another.
good income, long hours, time consuming
Independent Contractor (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLJune 28, 2016
long hours, good pay, fast paced, be your own boss, Bad things about being a independent contractor is the wear and tear on vehicle and not getting paid for fuel expenses
Pros
good pay job security
Cons
wear and tear on vehicles, no days off, overwhelming sundays
Current delivery person riverview fl.
Newspaper Delivery (Current Employee) –  Riverview, FLApril 19, 2016
The route I have pay is good in winter but not summer,carriers are great to work with management sucks ,but field assistant are great.
Pros
Free newspaper free time during day
Cons
Hard on vehicle management in this office needs replaced
Distribution Job
Distributor (Current Employee) –  Largo, FLApril 18, 2016
If you like the night shift then this job is for you. It is only a few hours a night, however, it is 7 days a week. You are your own boss but you have to have the papers down by 6am. It doesn't take long to get use to a route. The only thing I'm not fond of is how they nickel and dime you. You have to pay for rain bags when it rains. You have to pay for your route book to be printed every day. You have to pay a table fee every week. After 2 weeks you pay for any complaints from customers, no matter if thier paper was just stolen or not. They do offer workers comp and insurance you can pay for as well.

All said and done after gas and such you make just above minimum wage per hour.
Pros
Great hours for night owls
Cons
Not that great of pay after all said and done.
Delivery person
Independent Contractor (Former Employee) –  Saint Petersburg, FLApril 14, 2016
Prep and deliver daily newspapers according to the weather to assigned homes. Maintain daily paper work and delivery on daily basis
It was a fast pace place and it always keep you on your toes.
Newspaper Delivery (Former Employee) –  Saint Petersburg, FLMarch 29, 2016
I would go to bed at 5pm and get up at 12am. My day would start with getting to work and waiting for the truck with the newspapers, we would get the amount you needed. You would have to fold them and put in bags, stack them up in your car and head out to deliver them. I learned to work very fast and get there early to be first in line. Management would only talk to you if there was a problem with your route. Co workers where fun and very helpful. The hardest part of my job is getting the routine to go to bed at 5pm and getting up at 12am. The most enjoyable part is I had the whole day to do what I wanted.
Pros
You got done early to where you had the day to yourself.
Cons
have to work very early mornings
Its a Job....nothing more
PostPress Staffer (Current Employee) –  Saint Petersburg, FLMarch 24, 2016
Only partime.... Average 17 hours. This company will used you. Nuff said. Upper management sucks...good coworkers. I learn about jogging news paper
Pros
You will have some gas money for the week....free tbt
Cons
Short breaks, not enough hours. 8.05
Customer Relations Representative (Current Employee) –  Saint Petersburg, FLMarch 21, 2016
I enjoy my co-workers, the job itself is very flexible. I would say the best thing and hardest thing would have been learned account management. I enjoy my job.
Pros
Environment
Cons
No benefits
No inter office communication
Workforce Analyst (Former Employee) –  Saint Petersburg, FLJanuary 27, 2016
Poor Compensation there was many pay cuts and and layoffs. Upper Management not hands nor are they aware of how mid management operates.
Pros
Good Job Life Balance
Cons
Many
Operations Management / Leadership (Former Employee) –  St. Petersburg, FLJanuary 13, 2016
The Times is still one of the best Newspapers around. Especially when it comes to local reporting. Unfortunately, all newspapers are suffering from a decline in print revenue.
Good place to work for self employment
Independent Contractor (Former Employee) –  Zephyrhills, FLNovember 27, 2015
Day starts really early delivering newspapers. People are good to work with until leaving to deliver routes. Managers are good to work with.
Pros
Free newspapers
Cons
Lots of wear and tear on the car
A lot of hard work
Lead Product Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Saint Petersburg, FLOctober 7, 2015
• Managed a crew of 6, managed work flow for contractors, made schedules for the crew weekly, nightly paperwork, open and closed warehouse each night, consulted with upper management when possible issues, covered open routes to ensure product was on time to the right customers
Pros
3rd shift
Cons
very demanding
Fun Workplace
Contractor/Distributor (Former Employee) –  Saint Petersburg, FLSeptember 24, 2015
Fun atmosphere, great people who were always willing to help.
I loved going to work they were like a second family. Small office so everyone knew each other it was pretty cool.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Tampa Bay Times. Our community is ready to answer.

2.6