Tampa Bay Times Employee Reviews

Horrible job
Independent Contractor/Courier (Current Employee) –  Dade City, FLFebruary 9, 2018
This is a horrible job. We do not get paid enough for what we do. Never get days off. 365 day job. Not worth the stuff we deal with. If there is any problems don't expect management to fix the issue.
Lousy place to work. Sub par pay
Independent Contractor (Former Employee) –  Saint Petersburg, FLFebruary 6, 2018
Nothing good to say except the job itself was a pleasure because of the customers and the exercise. Would probably come back if money was better and management had a better understanding of carriers needs.
Pros
excercise and most customers
Waste of energy
Newspaper Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  Saint Petersburg, FLFebruary 5, 2018
You come into the plant, insert and bag your papers and then leave to deliver them. You get a lot of freedom and the people you work with are nice (usually). It's pretty fast pace because you have so many papers to deliver in such a little time not to mention the plant is usually opened late. Sundays are hectic. Management doesn't tell you a thing, pretty much sends you in blind and leaves it up to you to figure out your way around things. Worst parts are there's no benefits AT ALL. You don't get anything... no paid vacations in fact you don't even get a day off. You work 365 days a year, no days off, no one to cover your shifts, no sick days (emergencies included!), no millage reimbursement... And then you pay the company $300 if you want to quit before the contract ends. Weeks of energy wasted being up 1-6 am and walking/driving around delivering papers. Plus it's a dying company. Obviously the cons outweigh the pros. Of course this is just my experience but save your time and energy.
Pros
freedom, nice coworkers, alright pay
Cons
no benefits AT ALL, not reimbursed for millage or car issues, no days off, no one to cover shifts, no sick days, etc.
Very competitive environment.
Deputy Librarian (Former Employee) –  Saint Petersburg, FLJanuary 15, 2018
Because of this company's relationship with the Poynter Institute, employees had constant opportunity to learn in a structured educational environment.
Pros
Great staff, journalistic integrity.
Cons
Management turmoil and turnover.
Security and safety officer.
SECURITY & SAFETY OFFICER (Former Employee) –  Saint Petersburg, FLDecember 26, 2017
Enjoyed my time at the newspaper. This was my third newspaper I worked for and I am saddened that newspaper business is declining. My position was enjoyable and rewarding and met a lot of great professionals.
Poor company overall
Independent Contractor (Former Employee) –  Brooksville, FLNovember 27, 2017
Management was horrible, the pay did not compensate for the miles and gas, and the hours were horrible. You couldn’t take a day off, if you left before your contract was up they charge you $300!
n/a
Employee, Tampa Bay Times (Current Employee) –  St. Petersburg, FLNovember 20, 2017
operate newspaper press '
run stacker machine
run cart loader on loading dock
stack newspaper into bundle
operate pallet remover
use a radio to communicate
Productive place to work
Field Manager (Former Employee) –  West Tampa, FLNovember 16, 2017
At first working at the Tampa Bay Times wasn't bad. It got to the point where I had no days off, and felt like I lived a there. I had no energy when I left.
Very loyal staff, most employees have been there 15+ years.
Digital Analyst (Former Employee) –  Saint Petersburg, FLOctober 25, 2017
Conducted daily client communication, assisted Digital Sales staff in metrics and reporting for client presentations.

Pulled reporting and KPI info monthly to present to Senior Management.

Often spread to thin as most sales reps were more familiar with print products and only learned the online aspect as needed to meet goals. Over promising and promising operations that were not sales products to clients then having to back peddle on deliverables.

Very good relationship with managers, dedicated departments that believe in "all hands on deck" when necessary.

Great relationships with co-workers
Pros
Excellent people, staff and direct managers.
Cons
Often over-worked and under paid.
tbt
Digital Sales Specialist (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLOctober 10, 2017
I liked working there. Just wanted to move up and find a job where my skills would be utilized. Somewhere i could thrive, and move up. I felt like I was stuck in the position I was at
good company to work with.
Java Software Engineer II (Former Employee) –  Saint Petersburg, FLOctober 9, 2017
The company adapts new technology and provide nice pay to employees. It is is good experience to work in there. The managers encourage employees to be creative and provide good opportunity to improve their skills.
GReat place to work
Retail Account Executive (Former Employee) –  Saint Petersburg, FLOctober 5, 2017
I love it , I was there for 11 years and will go back if I wasn't in the field that I am in now which is basically something completely different but I loved it
productive place to work
Production Pressman (Former Employee) –  Saint Petersburg, FLAugust 12, 2017
productive fun with ping pong tables. the employees are very good and kind they will help you, learn to ran goss presses.management very good and caring
Cons
decent breas
My friend had a long history as a media superstar..
Automotive advertising sales (Former Employee) –  Saint Petersburg, FloridaAugust 5, 2017
A "legend" in the radio business for years my friend went for an interview there, only to stumble out dazed and confused and asking the rhetorical question: "How come they only pay $2,000 per month?!" He's still stumbling around downtown Saint Petersburg, asking passers-by the same question over and over.
Pros
The prestigue of working for a legendary publication
Cons
The sight of my friend, stumbling around town and mumbling to himself.
good
Warehouse Manager (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLJuly 24, 2017
this is a warehouse and I hired agents weekly to run different routes also helped in prepping each route for delivery
I also boosted morale
and encouraged contractors to be present to fulfill their route daily
Do Not Work Here
Post Packaging Dept (Former Employee) –  Saint Petersburg, FLJuly 5, 2017
Do Not Work Here. everything about this place sucks. the company sucks. the people are rude and suck. the bosses don't talk to each other. just a overall horrible place to work at and for
Pros
Cons
the whole company
Productive and fun workplace
Plant Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Saint Petersburg, FLJune 29, 2017
On an average day I would ensure that my 15 employees were given their breaks in the proper manner as the employees arrive at work, and I would also ensure that the new employees were trained correctly so that they would understand how to input the flyers into the machine properly without them ripping or crumbling into the machine. The purpose of our job was to make sure that all the constituents flyers would end up into the newspaper so that the consumers would be able to decide which constituent they would want to shop.
Pros
Meeting new people
Cons
Continuous training
Management don't care about anyone!
Carrier (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLJune 15, 2017
This place really sucks to work for. Management only cares about themselves and making their bonus, place is disorganized, they expect alot from you and pay you very little. They say be your own boss, but how if you have to be there by 2:15 or you're fired, must finish at a certain time or you get complaints, no time off even if it storms or hails, you get paid what they wanna pay you, you have no say on anything at all. Only thing would be when paying your taxes you have to pay them as its your company so that means little pay throughout the year and then give up your money at the end aswell. Plus you pay for your table, bags when it rains, your cart and your gas, insurance, tires, repairs. It's a good job just for a few months but that's all. I heard other papers pay almost twice as much as they do. Get your night sleep people. I wasted 8 months of my life there.
Pros
Good to just have something to do.
Cons
Bad management, pay sucks, vehicles tear apart, 7 days a week
Independent job. Sucess based on your own effort. Enjoyable work enviroment if you put in the effort.
Independent Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLMay 10, 2017
I enjoyed working for Tampa Bay Times. My job title was an independent contractor therefore I would only see results/pay if I worked hard. I loved the opportunity to work a flexible schedule and to create my own success.
Pros
Flexible schedule, own boss.
Cons
No hourly compensation.
Great Experience
Times Correspondent (Current Employee) –  Tampa Bay, FLApril 23, 2017
I thoroughly enjoy writing for the TBT. It has been a great platform for me to cover sports, represent the Tampa Bay Area and put my name out there from a journalism standpoint.
Pros
Duties, Schedule and Reputation
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Tampa Bay Times. Our community is ready to answer.