Tampa General Hospital Employee Reviews

tampa general hosptial
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLJune 23, 2017
it is a very huge hospital very good hospital unfortunately it is not well located and no parking for nurses and the area always flood when there is a hurricane.
Great Place to Work
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FL 33606June 22, 2017
Great place to work. The pay is not as good, but benefits are great. My current Supervisor usually gives me my time off that I request. The atmosphere is also usually relaxed...
Benefits
Cons
Pay
productive work day
Anesthesia Technician (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLJune 20, 2017
The typical day at work was very productive. I enjoyed working at tampa general. The company was very challenging learning wise. I learned a lot from there.
benefits
Cons
no breaks
Loved what I did. Seeing patients so sick in the ICU and then walking out of the hospital was such a meaning feeling.
Certified Respiratory Therapist (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLJune 20, 2017
Learned more about health care from different departments and the doctors, witnessed quite a few surgeries and I was the head of Trauma Team and Day shift Supervisor in which I learned so much. Working at Tampa General Hospital was a life changing experience for me.
Pros
Great education on a daily basis. Learned something new every day.
very fun
Dietary Aide Technician (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLJune 19, 2017
I really like working for tgh because the people there is very nice an willing to help you in any way. they also do nice things like birthday breakfast.
Wonderful place to work.
Express Temp (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLJune 16, 2017
This place is full of love. The people here are awesome and also makes you feel at. Their kind and generous. And loves helping others and great at saving lives.
CEO walks the halls - Its awesome
Resource Center Associate (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLJune 15, 2017
I have never worked for any company where your CEO takes pride in their employees. He would walk the halls of the hospital and greet most everyone that walked past him. I love that about TGH. I was very proud to work for Tampa General Hospital!
Pros
Food all the time in the department
Cons
had to ask to go to the bathroom
Fun place to work
IT Analyst II (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLJune 14, 2017
Great leadership with a focus on success. Fun place to work with great benefits if your looking for something long term and stable. Very relaxed IT environment but constantly challenging your skills and creativity.
Great colleagues with exceptional management
Licensed Physical Therapist Assistant (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLJune 14, 2017
TGH is an amazing place to work but pay is low as compared to other hospitals. Will highly recommend Tampa General Hospital as a top hospital to work in Tampa area.
Tampa General Salary
Patient Care Technician (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLJune 14, 2017
Tmpa General is a very good company to work for. Evening shifts after 3pm gets 15% differential while night shifts after 7pm get 19% and weekends get an aditional 5%.

Want to know more about Tampa General Hospital?

Ask a question
Hustling fast pace work environment.
LABORATORY TECHNICIAN (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLJune 13, 2017
Working at the Laboratory at Tampa General Hospital is a challenging working experience. The assiduous department is a constant barrage of both inpatients and outpatients issues that most be solved at a timely manner. The great thing about the Hospital is the sense comradery throughout the employees, all with the single purpose of achieving excellent patient care.
Great Teaching Hospital
Administrative Secretary (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLJune 13, 2017
I enjoyed working here and only left because of the abysmal compensation; however, the low compensation I received is understandable because it's a not-for-profit. No real advancement opportunities for those without a medical degree
Excellent Manager/Team
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLJune 12, 2017
Tampa General is a great place to work, depending on your manager. The floor I worked, Surgical-Trauma had an incredible manager who was understanding, skilled, patient, kind...the works. The rest of the team on that floor was great as well.

The patient load was heavy...trauma patients are no cakewalk. 4 patients could feel like 8 sometimes, and many patients...typically the most difficult ones, are there for weeks or even months. Meaning you may get that patient multiple times. This sometime caused anxiety. You never knew whether you were walking into a good, or bad, night at work. One thing though is that the teamwork is incredible on that floor.

Team meetings weren't great, as they were always scheduled either in the morning from 8-12, or in the afternoon from 1-5. Working overnights meant either having a 16 hour day, or coming into work at 1 and having to stay until the next morning. They were quarterly though, so can't complain too much, just a bit of a drag, especially if you were in the 1-5 group and had to work that night.

Company-wide, not a bad place. Plenty of opportunities to learn, move around, etc. In the year I was there I received free BLS, free ACLS, and had the opportunity to spend a day down in the ER starting IVs to gain some more skill at them.

Every month they hold a birthday party for all the birthdays that month with good prizes. Holidays mean a publix giftcard in the couple hundred dollars range. They have an employee clinic on site where you can go when you're sick and need antibiotics, need vaccines, TB test, etc. They provide tuition,
  more... I was able to go to school for free for 2 semesters when I was there (and it was prepaid, so I didn't even have to pay for it out of pocket first).

Decent compensation...not great, but not horrible either. Middle-of-the road. Difficult to move up...you can move laterally easily, but moving up can be hard just because they have so many employees who have been there for years upon years. Insurance benefits are good, they offer a lot of little ways you can lower your premiums. They also have a gym across the street that is super cheap.

Parking sucks. If you work nights, you get an automatic parking pass to park in the on-site garage...but it costs you $10 a pay period.

If you work days, you have to park offsite (free) and take a shuttle in. You're put on a waiting list for the garage, but last I heard, it was at least a year's wait before you had any hope of getting a garage pass.

Also..don't work Gasparilla. Just...don't if you can help it. Working Fourth of July and New Year's is pretty cool though, as you have a great view of the fireworks.

Cafeteria is open to midnight, and the food is ok. During the day the selections are much more diverse. A little expensive for hospital food though. An entree, 2 sides, and a drink will run you about $10, and you don't get an employee discount.
Pros
excellent team, manager, learning opportunities, diverse patients/diseases, on-site employee clinic, prepaid tuition, gym, Insurance
Cons
Parking, Cafeteria prices, Pay is middle of the road, Patient load.
Stressful and unorganized management
Cardiac Monitor Technician (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLJune 11, 2017
Your manager determines your experience. If you have a good one you are set, if not WATCH OUT! Some of the clinicians got their roles by being friends with management and are highly unprofessional. There is a lot of attitude. Some of the staff really makes it worth being there, you will make lifelong friendships over your shared misery. Pay is not competitive. They do not work with your school schedule as promised.
Pros
Great benefits, great friendships
Cons
Too much drama, pay is not competitive, don't work with school hours
Tgh
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLJune 8, 2017
Great place to work. Enjoyed my time I spent there. Many competent staff members. Benefits are somewhat in need of repair, although they are sufficient.
Great place to learn
Patient Care Technician (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLJune 8, 2017
I really enjoyed working at TGH. I was allowed to learn how to do a lot of things. I felt that I was a valuable part of the nursing staff unlike another hospital where nursing asst./pct's were not recognized as part of the nursing team.
Pros
Great learning environment.
Cons
Hours cut when patient load was down.
not a real team oriented work place
Biomedical Equipment Technician (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLJune 5, 2017
lowest paid Biomed's in the state.
only 2 levels of positions, no advancement.
not a real team oriented work place.
management is worried about their job not yours.
Pros
good benefits
Productive and a great learning environment
Cardiac Monitor Technician (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLJune 2, 2017
A typical day at Tampa General is fast past and exciting. I have learned how to multi-task under stressful situations. I have learned how to be patient and how to receive constructive criticism. The hardest part of my job is learning the many departments. The most enjoyable is helping those who are in need.
Pros
working in different areas
Cons
short breaks
Great Place to work
PCT (Patient Care Technician) (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLJune 2, 2017
I had a great experience working there. I had wonderful coworkers and had a very good learning experience. I work at the Surgical Oncology unit which was very busy and very passionate floor. Had very sick patient that needed chemo as well as dialysis. Which made them very sick and weak. So helping with bath, food, walks was always on high demand.
Great
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLJune 1, 2017
Low salary but benefits were great. some managers don't have the experience to lead. Nurses can be rude , they look down on other employees . work schedule was great
Pros
great benefit
Cons
low salary

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Tampa General Hospital. Our community is ready to answer.

Tampa General Hospital Reviews by Location