Tandy Leather Factory

Tandy Leather Factory Employer Reviews

Terrible corporate office People are of no value
Clerk (Former Employee), HoustonFebruary 25, 2014
Pros: great depending on the manager
Cons: do not care about people. charging customers an incredable markup on products. not a good company!
Worst place I have every worked!! The local store enviroment was fun until the District Manager of Houston fired our manager because he was getting a lot of her business.

The corporate office has no idea what is going on in the stores because they do not visit the stores!
Fun place to work.
Sales Representative & Customer Support (Former Employee), Colorado Springs, CODecember 10, 2013
Pros: great learning environment.
Cons: not a lot of traffic probably due to the store's location.
Tandy is a specialized store that deals leather products and tools. Typically, probably due to the location and customers not knowing that they have opened a store in our city, we did not have a lot of traffic come to the store. It was rather slow during the week but we did offer tooling classes on the weekends. That was quite a bit of fun. Through – more... my time there, I was able to learn quite a bit about the different types of leather and the tools. To be honest, there wasn't a lot that I could say was hard about the job. The people that did come by were great. I was able to learn so much and improve my skills. Funny thing was that I never had any actual training with leather before I started working there and when I left, I felt that I could be considered an expert. – less
Great place untill upper managenemt notices you
Asociate (Former Employee), boston, MaOctober 1, 2013
Pros: store manager was great hours were great, healthcare reasonable, family environment, paid holidays. learned alot.
Cons: no hr dept to voice complaints or defend yourself, having to fight for 25 cent raise every 6-12 months
Worked there for nearly two years loved it. Retail and mail order would do everything a manager would do from processing orders teach classes stock and open/close. But you are helpless if you cross the district manager. With no available HR representative the District manager can collect and write up anyone for anything to get rid of you. Managers who – more... defend employees also get targeted. Stay out of the new England district!!!!!! – less
Productive and fun workplace with a chance to learn a new skill
sales associate (Former Employee), Cleveland, OHSeptember 11, 2013
Pros: learning about leathercraft
Cons: medical benefits were too expensive
A typical day starts out with opening the store, doing web orders if there are any. After that there is inventory and catering to our customer's needs. By the time that is done it is lunchtime and after that is sales phone calls, finishing inventory, and closing the store.

As far as management goes, it has been shaky in the past but is looking up now. – more... One would have to say that despite a current management change, the management there is inexperienced but they are decent, eager to succeed, and hopeful. The staff may be entirely new, but the new girls are helpful.

The most enjoyable part of the job was the ability to connect to other leathercrafters and the opportunity to learn about a new craft. – less
We have fun at work but we get treated badly.
Warehouse Worker (Current Employee), Fort Worth, TXMarch 5, 2013
Cons: horrible raises.
The manager Iwork for is cheap and very unprofessional,we receive a twenty five cent raise for the year.I enjoy the people I work with but their is no room for advancement.
Our store was a quaint little store with a big heart.
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Lubbock, TXFebruary 14, 2013
We were associated with a large business, but our store was run like a mom and pop store. We valued every single customer.
Sales and Marketing plus Managing a warehouse location
Wholesale/Retail Sales Manager (Former Employee), Houston, TXFebruary 7, 2013
Pros: your boss is in ft worth, tx
Cons: part of your bonus goes towards store renavations
You need to do everything you would do to start and run your own warehouse,
Great Teacher
Administrative Technician (Former Employee), TexasFebruary 7, 2013
This was a GREAT learning place for me. the people I shared my work space with were so nurturing and made it easy to cross learn many tasks. This made promoting so quickly to HR possible for me.
Tandy was a great company to work for
Store Manager (Former Employee), Baltimore, MDJanuary 29, 2013
Pros: using a the great tools
Cons: some days long hours
As soon as I entered my store in morning you could smell the leather. That was the best smell. It was fun when you could talk to customers and help them find the things they needed. The best part of the job was teaching the customers, young and old how to work on their leather projects. I think the hardest part of the job sometimes was trying to increase – more... the sales and finding new customers. The people I worked with were great. At my store and through out the company. – less
Great Job enviornment
Customer/Sales Representative (Former Employee), Union City, CAJanuary 26, 2013
Pros: great customers
Cons: retail and counting all of the buckles.
It was a lot of fun working there. If there wasn't any issues with my manager. I would still be here. It was fun, the customers were nice. I got to help teach people how to do things.

I enjoyed it.
Creative work environment with a family feel
Retail sales (Former Employee), Denver, CODecember 3, 2012
I really enjoyed working here - it was a positive environment.
Over all it was a great company to work for. Too bad my manager had to die and I was let go after almost working 5 years.
Sales Assoicate (Former Employee), Tacoma, WAJune 23, 2012
Pros: got sick days, paid holidays, paid vacation, benefits, and didn't have to work sundays.
Cons: took over 4 years to get my first raise, company didn't let me have time off to go to my boss's wake, new boss fired me for no real reason.
I would come in 10 mintues before we open and pull out money for till, turn on computers, lights, and pull down open sign. I would check out customers, clean the store, work on phone, internet and walk-in customers. I would get orders out via usps and ups. I would close the store every night. Count the till and e-mail nightly report to headquarters – more... and take nightly deposit to the bank and lock up the store. – less
No growth
Manager (Former Employee), Toronto, ONJune 15, 2014
Pros: discount on leather
Cons: little pay
Passionate about leather but little pay and no growth opportunities.

About Tandy Leather Factory

Tandy Leather Factory (aka TLF)┬áhas built a business turning hides into a cash cow. The company┬ámakes, distributes, and sells – Read more