Tandy Leather Factory Employee Reviews

Tandy Leather Factory was the best retail position I ever had!
Sales Associate/Shipping Department/Hardlines (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNAugust 18, 2017
It was a lot of fun being a sales associate/shipment handler at Tandy Leather Factory. It was a great job that helped with time management skills, and the slow days were filled with interesting conversations with talented coworkers.
Pros
Great Management, Friendly Staff
Cons
Fixed Scheduling
A paycheck
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIApril 26, 2017
Not a good work experience at all. Poor management no delegation. No training, for the first two days I was told to just walk around the store. Employees are afraid of the manager. This was the worst job of my life.
Worst place!
Warehouse Associate (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXApril 18, 2017
Hated working for them. They have people in management that talk to you like you're a child! When you stand up for yourself you get fired! If they let go of the horrible managers then the company would be great!
great job, horrible magagement
Sales (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDApril 13, 2017
the work was easy to learn and maintain, however the manager is given complete control with very little guidence on how to run the store. several unnessacery arguments occured because of poor mangement
Growing company with limited opportunity
Dock Worker (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXApril 5, 2017
Good place to work but wages were a bit low. I enjoyed my time there but was happy to find other lucrative opportunities. Warehouse environment with plenty of job security.
Not a good place to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  West Columbia, SCMarch 31, 2017
This was not a good place to work. The boss let one person do whatever they wanted but then for on to other employees if they did something wrong. I did not like working there.
Lots to learn
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSMarch 7, 2017
Lots to learn and teach. Easy going as well. Management is for the most part cool. Corporate is ran a little like use em and lose em. No way to get any sort of pay raise or promotion
A fun and crafty environment.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Grandville, MIJanuary 19, 2017
A typical day at Tandy involves a lot of orders. We pull items for orders that are submitted through the mail, over the phone, and online. Attention to detail is important. There is also foot traffic from customers. Our customers are from all walks of life, from housewives choosing projects to keep their children busy, to craftsmen maintaining their businesses.

I have learned a lot about leather crafting and specific product knowledge.

The store could use more employees to share the load. We're almost always busy!

I love putting projects together with customers! Getting excited along with them in their endeavors makes my day.
Pros
Free evenings due to early closing time.
Cons
Currently short-staffed, which makes time-off requests a huge issue.
Creative work enviroment
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Lithia Springs, GAJanuary 8, 2017
Every day I help my customers build there art/projects. I help furnish there homes with leather. Were a small team of only 5 people were like a family of leather workers. The hardest part of my job is doing everyone else job. The most enjoyable is being creative and helping other people build there dreams.
Pros
I can be creative, think out side of the box
Cons
Slow days
Terrible Corporate Management
Store Associate (Former Employee) –  Lithia Springs, GADecember 30, 2016
The level of enjoyment at Tandy is entirely dependent on the store manager. Corporate seems to activity try to keep store profits down to keep store manager pay to a minimum. That said, with a good store manager and co-workers, the job can be enjoyable. I was luck to have a great group of people in my store, and regret having to leave.
Pros
Predictable hours, good lunch break, great store discounts
Cons
Terrible Corporate culture, little room for advancement
Review
Office Manager (Current Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXSeptember 13, 2016
Prepare to work your butt off and get nothing in return. Corporate is greedy and only worry about themselves. They are after individuals in the company.
Interesting and fun
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZAugust 16, 2016
They go out of there way to help in form the works of all types of leather and tools. They are a fun family. They teach you how to do leather work. Amazing
Good job, poor training, poor environment
Sales Associate/Interim Manager (Former Employee) –  Harrisburg, PAAugust 12, 2016
I worked with good people, in store. Upper management was nonexistent and hard to get ahold of. Hours were nice, pay was OK. Training came in the form of write ups. No info given before hand. I had no knowledge of working with leather and no one was interested in teaching me
Pros
Good hours, ok pay
Cons
poor work environment, bad management
Tandy was a great place to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Fort Wayne, INAugust 10, 2016
The job involved learning the skill of leather craft. Which is fun and interesting, the customers and my co workers were great. Management opportunity if your willing to move.
Pros
Great work culture
Cons
Low pay unless management
Not the best place to work.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Independence, MOMay 27, 2016
Days are long, pay is crummy, and there is little to no job advancement opportunities. New management had no clue how to run the daily sore operations and left them up to the employees to do.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKApril 14, 2016
Typical day being helping customers with the product, getting emails for products and shipping it to them. Learned how to use leather and the different types of leather. Management is ok. Co-workers are ok. Hrdest part is dealing with customers that have to have all the attention instead of the other customers. Enjoyable part is shipping the products to the customers.
Pros
Paid lunches
Upbeat and Fun
First Key Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Parkland, WAMarch 15, 2016
Its a fast pace wonderful business I enjoy the different customers and learning the new products that would come into our store. I learn how to tool leather and make different thing out of it. My manager was an amazing person he taught me how to use the P.O.S systime, how to open and close the store, and how to sign for delivery's. Hardest part of working for this company was trying to multi task while super busy. Most enjoyable was the end of the day when you knew you did a great job.
Pros
Great benafits, Fun enviroment
Cons
N/a
A great way to learn and learn about a dying craft that is still highly sought after and appreciated.
person, over the phone, or online (Former Employee) –  Corpus Christi, TXSeptember 24, 2015
i loved working here. I learned much and had a great relationship with my coworkers and customers. of course, most customers were a real pain haha. But overall a good place to work.
Excellent Customers
Retail Store (Former Employee) –  coSeptember 1, 2015
Good start for young person, starting there work experience in Management. Really low wages for hourly employee's. The heart and soul of any good store. Manager has freedom to run operation on all aspects except taking care of there employee's with proper compensation. Also important to note, if you relocated make sure you have a exit plan. You will need one.
Pros
Awsome exposure to hands on job.
Cons
Sucesse in sales not reconized
Fun environment with ups and downs
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Syracuse, NYAugust 29, 2015
Small crew. Lots of joking among getting our job duties completed and assisting customers. Traveling for the company is great to see new places.
Did not get much home time.
Pros
Traveling. Meal reimbursement. Mileage reimbursement
Cons
Horrible Healthcare. Hard to schedule a day off

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Tandy Leather Factory. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9