Target Employee Reviews in United States

Found 17,271 reviews matching the search
Review
WAREHOUSE WORKER (Current Employee) –  Midway, GAFebruary 24, 2016
Job is very Physically demanding with long hours. The compensation makes up for the difficulty of the work. Management requirements are no experience required so they many times have no idea what is going on. Absolutely no room for advancement the promise is there but the steps to gain advancement are impossible. The time frame for advancing is in years after you have meet the requirements. Once hired you are in a dead end when pay (three years) is maxed there is nothing else to look forward to but more vacation. This may be a limited experience based on location but management is afraid to back you for promotion because workers know more than they will every know about the business due to the high turnover rate of management.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Long hours, no advancement ever!!
Productive and fun job with great co-workers
Starbucks Barista (Current Employee) –  Fredericksburg, VAMarch 29, 2016
A typical day at work involves taking orders from customers and making their drinks to their liking. Also, cleaning the dishes and handling the register. I've learned a lot about customer satisfaction and team work from this job. I really loved my bosses and the team at Target. My co-workers have been extremely helpful and hard-working. The hardest part of the job would be when we get a rush on the weekends, having to assign certain workers different places at the job (one at cashier, one making drinks, etc) and keeping a steady flow. The most enjoyable part is working with a great team and knowing you are satisfying customers, along with my regular customers.
Pros
Target Discount
Cons
Not very high raises
am i in high school again? or middle school?
Logistics Team Member (Current Employee) –  Delran, NJMarch 3, 2016
very unappreciative and thankless towards their staff. it's very clear when the management disrespects you as you catch them making childish faces at you as you talk to them and catch them doing so behind your back. if you no call no show for a week fear not you'll still have your job because the management is "too busy
to worry about reading attendance reports but never miss a sporting even thanks to the internet and direct TV in the breakroom. when asked for feedback on how they can improve the store, dont be honest because then the management will label you as "negative", but you you tell them they are doing a great job, you will be an example of what a "good" team member should be.in short, the management wants you to praise them for working hard, and you the employee should view them as a role model.
Pros
its near a taco bell
Cons
work ethic counts for nothing
Fast Paced/ Hard Work
Logistics Team Member (Overngight)/ Team Trainer (Current Employee) –  Glendale, CAMarch 24, 2016
A typical day at target overnight is a lot of heavy lifting and big excpectations. I learned a lot at target how to stock, back stock, store plano gram. The management at target at times is questionable. Some times they seem to know what there doing and others they seem lost. The co-workers at target all seem to get along fine. Theres a good vibe between team members. The hardest part of the job is the managents expectations. The harder someone works the more they seem to excpect and yet the hard workers still get paid the same as day 1 people.
Pros
The Starting Pay
Cons
High Expectations, Low raises, Messes up sleep
It was a pleasure working at this company.
Stock Clerk/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Mount Vernon, NYMarch 24, 2016
I really enjoyed working at the target store . I learn how to scan for perishable products. These are the products that are spoil and out dated. I really enjoyed working in the stock room because there were a feeling of serenity and joy. I would work alone some days because the manager didn't have to tell me what to do. I also learn about recall. Recall, means that the product has a defect. An recall product would be taken off the shelf. The hardest part of the job is working into the freezer. A target employer must work accurate and fast in this cold environment. It was a pleasure working at target because every one was a team player.
Pros
They should pay for your uniform.
Cons
I agree with the raise.
Become toxic, not fun anymore, time to move forward
Receiving/Logistics Team Trainer (Current Employee) –  Timonium, MDFebruary 26, 2016
Target used to be a fun, competitive, productive place to work but in recent years (the last 3 or so) it has gone downhill. I used to enjoy working there but now I dread going in for my shifts. I also just recently graduated and am looking for a job in my field of study. The management at the particular store I work has gone downhill, there seems to be no integrity, team work, or disciplinary action given to those who need it. They cut the team member hours thus cutting the benefits and it is incredibly hard to pay mortgages, rent, loans, and take care of children on such small wages and minimal hours. That's just a small portion. Target has, unfortunately, become a toxic place to work and it is time for me to move forward with my career and my life.
Pros
work with your schedule, easy to take time off, free food occasionally
Cons
cut hours, poor pay, no discipline, poor management, no sense of team anymore
Great for a retail company
Trainer/Baker (Current Employee) –  Leesburg, VAMarch 10, 2016
The experience will vary depending on the location you are at. The location I am at has been a great experience. The management team is approachable and looks out for your best interest. Considering this is a major retailer, the benefits and pay are decent. Outside of that this is a retail job, expect some co workers with poor work ethics, weekends, and bad hours. Out of all the retailer's i've worked for, Target is the best. Lots of room for advancement if that's what you want to do, and the opportunity to transfer locations.
Pros
flexible hours, advancement opportunities
Cons
no set schedule, hours are cut after the holiday season
Great place to work, besides compensation
Human Resource Team Member (Current Employee) –  King of Prussia, PAMarch 12, 2016
If Target paid a livable wage, I would work for this company forever. Target lives up up to their reputation as a "Fast, Fun and Friendly" place to work by providing many wellness sources for team members, such as television in the break room, law compliant break times, a "LifeResources" hotline for personal help, a NurseLine for health questions, opportunities to volunteer, and a human resources department at every store and distribution center. Management at every location is trained to pick the best candidates for each job and train them to their fullest potential.

If there are any issues in the work place, team members have multiple outlets to make sure it gets resolved with integrity and sensitivity. Target's business model relies heavily on a happy and well trained workforce. If they didn't pay the standard low retail wages and limit payroll hours so much, they would really be the "Best Company Ever" they claim to want to be!
Pros
Work environment, well-being initiatives, work/life balance, legal compliance
Cons
Compensation
Target
Utility Attendant (Current Employee) –  Rialto, CAMarch 3, 2016
A typical day requires communication and preparation to achieve tasks for the day. Throughout my employment at Target I have learned the importance of evolving and learning new things. It is also very important to come up with new ideas to improved the business. Management has an open door policy and listens to employee's concerns and ideas to improve as a company. Co-workers are a team at Target and treat each other with respect, people help each other and care for one another. The hardest part of working at Target is performing up to their standards, they pay very well but have very high standards for their employees. The most enjoyable part about working here is the sense of accomplishment one feels after they are finished with a hard days work, and the feeling of being valued as an important part of the team.
Pros
Good benefits, and pay
Cons
very high standards
Average entry-level Management
Assets Protection Executive Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Harrisburg, PAFebruary 8, 2016
Executive Team Leaders (i.e. Middle Management/Salary):
-Start 4 a.m. or 7 a.m depending on position
-Expected to work 10+, with no scheduled meal time or break
-Pay is based on an 8 hour work day
-During 6 week training, paid hourly but not at the salary match, expected to work 10-15 hours of over time weekly to make salary equivalent

-401k is a 5% match, cannot start contributions until after 1000hrs of work
-Medical benefits are average at best. Great if you are single, rather high priced for family.

-Upper Management/Corporate claims to be family friendly/oriented but will not budge for life changes.

-Best part of the job is working with people who enjoy doing what they do
-Worst part is dealing with multiple bosses who directly influence your raise/promotion and continually have conflicting priorities.

Want to know more about Target?

Ask a question
Target is a blackhole
Logistics team member (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 19, 2016
ETLs(management) is trained (brainwashed) to hustle every bit of your soul. You will be overworked and underpaid. If you work too hard they will only take advantage of that and label you as a sucker. As team sucker you're rewarded with more workload while the lazy people mock you and float through the day without doing anything. Nevertheless, you will find comfort in knowing that your hard work will not pay off because Target doesnt promote hardwork. Supervisors are selected based on workplace politics and the fact that the ETL and supervisor are secretly cousins. It's okay because you'll go to school and better yourself; unless an ETL finds out and systematically set up your schedule during your class hours. How dare you try to better yourself. New people aren't told about their second break or the fact that they don't have to work past scheduled time...but slave on because everyone loves Target.
Pros
You may politrick your way to teamlead
Cons
no healthcare, raises are worthless, your being supervised by idiots
Target Brand
Warehousing trainer, charged (Former Employee) –  Newton, NCFebruary 19, 2016
We all know the name Target, but it is much more than just a retailer with comical and well put together adds. It has been for me an opportunity of great stature that has shown me many things that I can carry to other companies. My coworkers are my team and, for the most part, they are my work family. The team member that I oversee and regulate are exactly that, a team. Inclusion is a big part of Target's strategy and has proven its worth on many different occasions. The hardest part of my job is watching someone who either does not wish to or simply will not engage their full potential. For me personally, I enjoy developing, leading, and strategically making game plans for success with and for my team.
Pros
Excellent benefits and monetary compensation
Cons
Poor use of skills and no advancement opportunities without a 4 year degree
Lot of potential for advancement
Store Team Leader (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 16, 2016
The compensation is better than most if not all other retailers. The work life balance is good in terms of the schedule (every other weekend) but it is nearly impossible to work only 50 hours per week and get everything done. An average week is usually about 60 hours per week. There are definitely some politics involved, and a ridiculous culture around visits from senior leaders that requires everyone to put in extra hours leading up to their arrival.
Pros
Schedule, Compensation
Cons
Work/life balance, hoops to jump through
Early Days to work with heavy class loads
Logistics Specialist and Team Trainer (Current Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAApril 5, 2016
The company as a whole is horrible for advancement and the management is very self-centered and it is a very stressful environment, but the department i worked with had many great team members.

They also worked my schedule for my heavy class loads more than most companies ever would but that is because trucks were at 4 am for the greater part of my time at this company.

A typical day was spent with a quick pace and always striving to get out before scheduled time to save money on payroll for management, and hours were kept short for most non-management personnel.

I learned a lot from this job though, how to ask questions and who to ask in the workplace was a big part, but also productivity when your body can barely stand or how to work under extremely stressful situations between lack of sleep and heavy work weeks made me a better worker and make college a breeze when exam season came around.
Pros
Early hours conducive to class schedules, Benefits after a year if you do manage 20 hours a week or more
Cons
Short days, lack of hours to non-management and inability to advance, no change in daily operation, inability to trust management
In terms of retail, Target gets an A!
Target Team Member (Current Employee) –  Aurora, COFebruary 20, 2016
My experience with Target has been far superior than previous retail jobs. Your discount is fantastic and aside from gift cards, isn't restrictive. You can even receive vacation hours as a part time employee (based on average hours worked). The management is in most cases, reliable and when you need certain time off, it's generally not too hard to get.
The team culture aspect is brought up by many different companies, but Target is really the first I've seen to make it a reality while making it feel like the company genuinely cares about its employees. My co workers are fantastic and overall, most make the job even more amazing.
The hardest part of the job is just the typical retail environment - your occasional screaming child and upset or difficult guest, though the guests seem to be a bit more respectable, especially in comparison to Walmart.
Pros
free food pretty often, works easily with your schedule, benefits even for part time, decent management, DISCOUNT!
Cons
General retail issues
productive and fun place to work
Logistics Team Member (Current Employee) –  Rohnert Park, CAApril 5, 2016
Working at Target with fun employees makes the work environment more enjoyable. On a day to day basis, I unload the products from the truck and stock on the sales floor. Attention to detail and maintaining strong organizational skills is a must. The most challenging part of my job is lifting heavy boxes. It's important to practice safety when lifting, so often I get another team member to help me lift the box. The most enjoyable part of my job is moving at a fast pace. It's convenient working early morning shifts as well.
Pros
early morning shifts, fun employees
Cons
no benefits, time scheduling
its great as a starter job or for students but not somewhere you would want to stay for years and years.
Guest Service Attendant (Former Employee) –  Kissimmee, FLFebruary 25, 2016
Target likes to hire toddlers that have just graduated from college that have no retail experience at all. this way they can train them in the ways of Target. Moving up in the company is almost impossible unless you find a manager you can suck up to and get on your side. raises are only given once a year and they are small, typically 5-15 cents and hour. no cost of living raises unless you're management.
Pros
flexible schedule good for students
Cons
working every weekend
Horrible management
Guest Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Queen Creek, AZJanuary 29, 2016
I worked at Target for 2 years received 1 raise which was like 12 cents.. I started as a cashier and quickly moved to the service desk. It could've been the easiest job in the world if I worked with better people. They talk about keeping it "brand" and making the guest enjoy their experience but only 2 out of the 7 employees they rotated back there would actually do the job. And even when my work would get recognized by my peers, management was only interested if it made them look good to their bosses during walk throughs. Overall horrible place to work and in the end nobody I started there with even worked there anymore.
Pros
Few good people
Cons
Pay, management, hours
fast paced and extremely stressful on holidays
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Brownsville, TXFebruary 12, 2016
weekdays are generally well paced, weekends are another story. but it also depends on the area. there isn't much to be learned unless you're team lead or at a management lever position. Every store is different, we had our share of both good and bad LODs. Some will constantly be on the floor with you others stay at the front or in clerical throughout the day. The guests are probably the best part, the bad outnumber the good 10/1 . Watch out for couponers finding loopholes in company policy and printing duplicates. Throughout the day you will find the merch you got for them back in your foreign basket two hours later. id say the best part of the job would probably be the other team mates. odds are the majority will come to realize working the target sales floor was a mistake and you'll all come to the agreement that you need to get out.
Pros
good benefits if mandatory hours are met
Cons
Some bad management, low pay and hours depending on the season
Former great employer now has overstretched employees not given the resources to complete their jobs.
Executive Team Leader, Logistics (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJanuary 8, 2016
Target was once a great employer who treated people well. It has since become a place where you are asked to accomplish the impossible without being given the resources to accomplish the bare minimum. They continue to roll out half thought out programs that are not backed up or are in beta, adding to the stress of an already stretched workforce. Most of the veteran store level leadership has already left. Many of the district and above leadership have never worked in this new, extremely stretched Target and have problems relating.
Pros
Compensation
Cons
Long hours, 14+ hour 6 day weeks, not supported with adequate resources, constantly understaffed or undertrained management provided.