Target Employee Reviews

Found 18,051 reviews matching the search
Great first job
Executive Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Boulder, ColoradoOctober 16, 2016
Hired out of college to be an ETL (assistant store manager). Very intense training, and information overload for 6 weeks. Expected to perform and manage every single day. Weekends, holidays, overnight, early morning shifts are all fair game. Expected to work on average 50 hours/ week (but it's a salaries position so you will probably work more). Promoting is difficult. It's highly political so superior relationships with those above your boss are a necessity. It's a great position for someone looking for a lot of on hand management experience. However, it's retail, it's a lot of managing damage control, cleaning up after others (call-ins, actual mess on the sales floor). Not very rewarding.
Pros
Pay, benefits, peer culture
Cons
Promotion opps, hours, upper management
Competitive opportunities for advancement
Executive Team Leader, Sales Floor (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAAugust 14, 2016
At the management level, Target provides great advancement opportunities for those who own their development and are able to produce results. For those who punch-in & punch-out, you may get worn down by the repetitive nature and challenges of big-box retail. Overall great culture, and definitely will provide opportunities to learn. Target is evolving into an even greater company, but with change comes growing pains, and learning to shred old expectations to produce higher quality results. Retail is not easy, but Target compensates well at the managerial level. As one colleague described it - it's "dirty money" because work get down and dirty and work hard to run a great store and make good pay, but don't expect a white collar cubicle job. You have to like to stay busy and be ok with constant engagement with guests and team members.
Disorganization and no respect to employees from management
Perishables Assistant (Former Employee) –  Rock Hill, SCOctober 27, 2016
Almost everyone in management are unfair and show no respect to employees. Advancement comes only by how much management likes you. It's not based on your work or experience. There is a lot of he say she say at the Rock Hill store and others will believe it whether it's based on fact or opinion. It used to be a fun place to work and almost everyone got along but with the new management people only seem to be looking out for themselves and turning on each other just to get ahead. It's sad.
Cons
Yours hours are based on sales, so if the store doesn't make its sales quota, that is set by corporate you won't get many hours, You have to work there a year before you can get medical benefits and start earning vacation pay, A lot of gossiping between employees and management
Friendly environment, decent pay, not many advancement opportunities
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Cottage Grove, MNDecember 1, 2016
I was a cashier for a year and a half and it wasn't bad. The minimum wage was $8 an hr when I was hired but it had been raised to $10 before I quit earlier this year.The hardest part of the job was selling the Target RedCard to customers and it was pretty much the only way to get recognized as a cashier. Benefits are good, and they include holiday pay and (I think) insurance. The reason I quit was because there weren't any opportunities for me to change positions the entire time I worked there and it felt like everyone else was moving up except me. Management was okay but not the absolute best. The best part was working with the customers. If I went beyond their expectations, they voiced it and it would make me feel great.
Pros
Benefits, friendly and welcoming work environment
Cons
Management, few job openings other than in customer service area
No advancement
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Waterbury, CTOctober 4, 2016
I dont know if is my store. But there's zero recognition from management. There's no advancement besides getting cross trained. We work hard and get expire food as compensation for our work. Again, may be my just my Target. Good friendships.
Pros
You can express yourself from having bright colorful hair, to piercings, to tattoos. You can also play with the uniform, plaided button open shirt with white shirt. or even a shawl over a white or black shirt.
Cons
No advancement. Expire snacks. No fun events between employees. Hours not guaranteed.
Executive Team Lead, Sales Floor: Super Target
Executive Team Leader - Sales Floor (Current Employee) –  McKinney, TXDecember 7, 2016
Executive Team Leads (assistant managers) of Target Stores typically work five, ten-hour work days per week with every other weekend and one specific weekday off per week (week is Sunday-Saturday). This is exceptional for a retail conglomerate as large and successful as Target.
Target's brand identity is in-line with my actual experience. They are progressive, forward-leaning, and they truly care about their employees and their communities.
The hardest part of the job is maintaining a work-life balance. If you are a hard charger (I am), and you manage a Super Target (I do) it is not abnormal to walk 5-10 miles per shift and to forget to sit down. This turns time off of work into serious rest time. However, the "hardest part" is also my favorite part. I enjoy the fast-paced environment and the variety of the day-to-day challenges in problem solving and teamwork that are innate to the environment.
Pros
Pay and Benefits, Fast-Paced
Cons
Work-life balance
My Positive Experience Working for Target
Warehouse Associate at Distribution Center (Former Employee) –  Rialto, CASeptember 7, 2016
At Target I learned how to effectively meet high productivity standards, individually and as a team while maintaining quality and safety. I learned how to give and receive feedback and constructive criticism with both my peers and superiors. The most challenging aspects of my job were trying to exceed the productivity standards daily, and the most rewarding part of my job was when these goals were accomplished. Over my eight year career with Target I made some great relationships with coworkers, and I am grateful for the daily support and feedback from my supervisors and management. I am truly grateful for my time at Target and the positive impact it has had on my life.
Pros
Healthcare, Competitive Wages, Vacation Time, Sick Time, Recognition Events, and Volunteer Opportunities
Cons
N/A
Loved it at first
Logistics Specialist (Current Employee) –  Shorewood, ILAugust 23, 2016
target is literally one of my favorite stores so when i got the job opportunity i was thrilled. The team members i worked with were very nice and friendly and it seemed like this was going to be a great experience up until a couple months ago when i started to realize that the retail world is full of lazy and drama filled people. the management treats the workers as if they are slaves and demand things that they can handle on their own, Also when problems are brought to hr confidentially they are shared amongst other people within the building which is pretty crazy because if you don't even feel comfortable going to hr then thats a problem within itself. The raises are a pretty good amount when they come around but it makes you wonder if its worth it when the management isn't up to par.
Great First Job.. Thats about it
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Addison, TXSeptember 26, 2016
This was my first ever job. It was interesting learning new things. But management is corrupt. While I worked hard to earn my place other people were being recognized because they were friends. Everyone else got an amazing raise while I got a penny as a raise. You must think I didn't do my job well to earn a raise. I beg to differ. Lets just say if you aren't best friends with management or agree to kiss... you know where I am trying to get. You wont be able to move up in the company. Which is unfortunate since I do love the company and what it stands for. Corporate needs to take a look at who they hire as their management.
Love the Target family!
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Panama City, FLSeptember 29, 2016
This was a great place to work. I was a cashier, and I loved the work environment. The team leaders are so nice and I became very close with the people I worked with. And the company treated us well too. There was a break room with food available a few days a week. Schedule is flexible also, I worked approximately 30 hours while attending college. Pay is ok, I believe that the minimum cashier wage was raised but I could be wrong. The hardest part of the job was obviously dealing with the occasionally unreasonable customer, and there were times when the computers would glitch, but that all comes with any job. The best part was the sense of family and support among the team members and management. I would recommend this job for anyone, whether you want a part time job or a career there is opportunity for advancement and the hours are flexible!
Pros
Frequent breaks, good management, free food, flexible hours, opportunity or advancement, healthcare available.
Cons
standing for long periods of time, frequent technological difficulties.
Good compensation
Operations Clerical/Former Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  West Jefferson, OHOctober 17, 2016
Horrible culture at West Jefferson DC. I had 30+ managers, 10+ Senior Managers and 5+ General Managers in 12 years. The compensation is good and makes you feel like you are trapped there.
They used to have a good core team, but have run most off and replaced a lot of people with temps. Revolving door for employees. At one point I knew almost everyone that worked there, but only knew about 15% when I departed. There is not an attendance policy, OM can give you corrective action for missing 3 or 4 days in a year and do nothing to someone who misses 3 or 4 days per month.
You only receive 1 15 minute break and a 25 minute lunch for a 10 hr shift. You are not allowed to leave the premises, and have to get special permission to even go to your car. You have to accrue vacation time weekly, but if you leave or get fired you lose it, even though you earned it. Just be prepared to work like a dog for 10 or 12 hours per day.
Was expected to be perfect and never make a mistake. 0 support from managers.
Pros
Pay, occasional free lunch
Cons
Short breaks, work extremely hard for compensation
Target as a Whole
Perishables Assistant (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHSeptember 12, 2016
My career at target started out fantastic, I was given support from all of my coworkers and the management, but the longer I was there the support fell, they put a lot of pressure on two people, and I am in college so when I put in the days that I could not work my hours were dropped way below what i was expecting, they only put me on with minimum shifts. Almost trying to get me to leave. Well they won that battle I am actively looking for a new job. I would not recommend working for target unless you are willing to devote your life to target.
Pros
Lunch breaks and good benefits
Cons
poor management
Solid company that cares about your development
Executive Team Leader Intern (Assistant Manager) (Current Employee) –  San Francisco Bay Area, CANovember 21, 2016
Target has created a very professional environment in their stores, with clear goals for each and every day and visible paths to promotion through development. Management and team members beneath them are paid well and motivated to be there. The only con is the work-life flexibility-- it's nonexistent, because retail requires long hours, working holidays, etc. So, don't work here if you're not open to flexibility. In personal experience, not having a 9-5 really kind of sucks.
Job security- there is none
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  Rialto, CASeptember 8, 2016
Target is an "at will" employer and they will fire you for anything, I mean anything.If anyone goes to hr and makes a complaint, target will terminate you. They pay good, but job security is no good. You never know when is your last day. Management likes to micromange all their employees. There is a lot of favoritism at target too. I am talking about target ware houe d.C locations in rialto. The culture isnt good neither. Everyone stabs eachother in the back. No one is trusted and target doesnt care about their employees , their medical insurance sucks.
Pros
PAY
Cons
HARD LABOR, NO JOB SECURITY
Executive Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 2, 2016
A typical day at work will include work center management, performance management for part time staff, and full time management staff. I've learned how to operate a very complex work center that focuses on driving results. Management staff is very talented and understand collaboration to meet goals. The hardest part of the job is the work-life balance when employed as salary. The needs of the business sometimes will affect your off-time. The most enjoyable part of the job is developing other leaders and promoting those that have worked so hard to get there.
Pros
Compensation and benefits (Management)
Cons
Work-life / Retail scheduling
Typical Corporate Job
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Midlothian VASeptember 27, 2016
HR accepts your availability change, but then continues to schedule you when you are not available. They'll schedule you just under the minimum hours where they have to provide you with benefits. Some managers are better than others, but overall they kinda all suck. Very very little advancement and the culture is all about red cards.
Pros
10% discount, but you have to use cash or a red card
Cons
Red and khaki, poor management.
Great Place to Work
Brand TM, Operator, Fitting Room (Current Employee) –  Spokane, WAJuly 6, 2016
The Team Culture is decidedly positive. Of course, every team will be different, but no matter what store you're working in, the team is going to be very supportive, and willing to help. Management varies, but is constantly looking for feedback and ways to improve. Job advancement is a combination of proactively looking for internal job openings, and passing internal interviews. Some jobs are more competitive than others during the interview process.
Target allows you to swap shifts, so you can give away shifts to other team members, or pick up hours!
Overall, I have always looked forward to coming to work at Target!
Pros
recognition and rewards ie: food in the breakroom, inclusive culture, easy to get time off
Cons
job advancement is very competitive
Almost a great job
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Coon Rapids, MNJuly 31, 2016
I worked for Target for almost three years and received very small to almost non existent raises. They don't care about loyalty and are more concerned with selling and promoting the redcard. They see their team members as easily replaceable. The hours are good if its 4th quarter (christmas time) but after that you're lucky to get more than 20 hours per week. Management could be good or bad depending on who you work with. Some are excellent and care very much about their team and the company and some only care about making sales. My fellow team members for the most part are phenomenal and hard working. I've made many good friends while working here. Working with the guests can be very enjoyable and you meet many great and friendly people. I enjoyed working with a team very much. We all had each others backs. Unfortunately this job was not what it could have been because of the lack of respect and compassion from management.
Pros
Awesome team members, okay discount
Cons
bad raises, bad hours, no loyalty
Heartless managment.
Pmt (Former Employee) –  Palm Harbor, FLJuly 22, 2016
The job it self is good, mon-Fri 6 to 230pm. Work can be challenging but depends on how good you are trained. Biggest down fall is Management. They do not care about the team members, they preach about development but it's all talk. They tend to promote a pretty faces over experince, exact words from HR-ETL, which hurts the moral of the team. They talk about fairness but they pick and choose who they reprimand I'm order to get the results they want. No one is happy that works there, they Work hard for poor yearly compensation and a note that says you did good. Hours for normal team members are always cut back. The place is a joke.
Pros
Peanut buttet and jelly in the break room
Cons
Management, no time off during holidays.
Target expects a lot out of it's leaders, compensates fairly well but is inconsistent with team development.
Store Team Leader (GM) (Former Employee) –  Southern CaliforniaOctober 17, 2016
Target expects a lot out of it's leadership teams and focuses on constructive feedback and recognition to develop their teams. Compensation is fair although ETL and STL work/life balance is compromised and is largely dependent on the condition of the store you're assigned to. Personal accountability is also a necessary quality to having a successful career with the company.
Pros
Pay, Benefits
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Target. Our community is ready to answer.