Target Employee Reviews in United States

Found 16,846 reviews matching the search
Sales Floor Associate (Former Employee) –  Fresno, CADecember 11, 2015
Management was insulting, and fickle. Their relationship with new employees were weak, and very unfriendly. Some were very unprofessional, and others expected far too much in such little time. Teamwork isn't always provided. They expect you to find everything on the scanners that many were broken, logged you out, or frozen most of the time, and everyone was fighting for one. We were almost never allowed to call things in, because the scanner should be enough (which it wasn't). Some of management was understanding, others scolded you like a child. I was asked to stay full-time but, I just didn't feel like I was being treated right. I do not expect an employer to praise me, but I do expect respectful constructive criticism, and actual teamwork. They expected a lot from new employees during holiday season in a very short amount of time. Customers were very nice, and pleasant. Co-workers were very informative and helpful more so than some trainers. Target made it feel like I was working hard, and doing well to be constantly scolded at the end of the day. Target needs employees just as much as employees need a job. Working at Target is over-hyped.
Pros
free snacks, good customers "guests"
Cons
Management relationship
Nice people, but terrible management and responsibility
Flow Team Member (Former Employee) –  Savannah, GAMarch 24, 2016
The company seems fine on the outside but to many people are advanced because of favoritism and friendship, and as such there is very little responsibility at the manager and up level. everything is blamed on the team members at the bottom whether they have adequate management, time, realistic goals, etc.
Pros
Nice people
Cons
No responsibility at the top, culture of blame instead of fixing problems.
There have been many changes in the 11 years I have worked there
Starbucks Team Leader, (Current Employee) –  Exton, PAJanuary 5, 2016
I mainly worked in the human resources department. Advancement opportunities were to work in other areas of the store. I miss the culture of working in human resources. I enjoyed onboarding new team members and making their experience enjoyable.
Pros
Strong company, good benefits
Cons
Advancement opportunities
Needs improvement in management and a clear list of expectations.
Fulfillment Center Team Member (Former Employee) –  Woodbury, MNFebruary 10, 2016
A typical day at work was rather monotonous. I learned to not rely on the good nature of any supervisor. Follow all guidelines. The management is incompetent. Period. My coworkers were fine however some were allowed to get away with breaking rules and regulations while others were not. The hardest part of the job was the monotony. The most enjoyable part was the few good people and the competitive pay.
Pros
Competitive pay.
Cons
An uncomfortable work enviroment.
Cashier, Clinical Assistant
Medical Front Desk Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCMarch 1, 2016
Working at Target was fun . Hours are good only in summer and in holiday season . Sometimes Management only give 10 hours a week and they expect us to pay bills and be happy at job.
I really enjoyed working as clinical assistant at Target Clinic but unfortunately I lost my job to Tablet after CVS Bought target clinic and pharmacies
Pros
Fun work, Great co workers
Cons
Poor pay and less hours, No room for advancement
Long Work Days
Executive - Sales Floor / Guest Experience (Former Employee) –  Swansea, MADecember 14, 2015
The company has amazing benefits for the employees and very diverse. The company offers full medical and dental insurance along with a 401k plus a company 5% match. There are other corporate discounts.

As an Executive Team Leader you are expected to work 10 hour days (this does not include your commute) and be on call 24/7.

The culture in the work area varies by store manager and is not consistent.
Fun place to work
CASHIER (Current Employee) –  Hutchinson, MNFebruary 1, 2016
Before Starbucks opened I worked as a cashier, a typical day would be scanning items, being friendly with a smile and trying to promote redcards for target. I learned to be friendly and good communication skills. Management was good, I enjoyed working with everyone. The hardest part of the job was doing the same thing over and over the shift felt long and standing in one spot. The most enjoyable part of the job was the co-workers they always made it fun, that always made the time pass by
Pros
3 breaks, %15 discount
Cons
No other benifits
"Fast, fun, and friendly" meets high expectations in an ever-changing environment.
Manager (Current Employee) –  North Olmsted, OHOctober 5, 2015
The most enjoyable part of the job was working with the team, providing support, and learning from each other. It is often a fun and engaging atmosphere with a supportive management team. It is very much about the numbers but also about personal and team growth to accomplish objectives. Regardless of whether the situations and resources are ideal or challenging in nature, problem solving skills and critical thinking methodologies are useful disciplines when ensuring business needs are met with the most advantageous outcome.
Pros
Ability to develop/manage talent, engage/inspire others, and use problem-solving skills
Cons
Work/Life Balance and Compensation
Positive and uplifting work environment
Cashier/ softlines (Former Employee) –  Walnut Creek, CASeptember 2, 2015
Fun and enjoyable job culture, enjoyed management and felt as if everyone enjoyed me being a part of the Target team.The most enjoyable part of my job at target was being able to interact with and help guests and know that they are leaving with a smile and good impression. The only thing I felt was difficult was the ability to juggle my every day life and my work life due to the forever changing/rotating schedule, which I was not expecting whatsoever. All in all I enjoyed working at target and enjoyed the team I worked with.
Pros
positive work environment, helpful and understanding management, discount
Cons
short breaks, no set schedule, no free lunches or snacks, little to no benefits for part time employees
Broad view
Flow Team Member (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MN [HQ] local:Dover, DEFebruary 27, 2016
Because I have been with Target for over a decade I have seen many changes. There was a time I got a new Executive in my department every 5 months or so. They just did NOT understand all the things that are needed to keep the process rolling along.
I have been assigned to four stores. But I have helped in 6-7 stores in 4 states because they were remodelling or had undergone a major staff crisis. You learn that what you were taught is not the only way to do a process or even the best way.
I have worked as few as 15 hours in a week. I have been blessed with 45 hours & the chance to get more. I also learned that past a certain point the taxes do not make the extra hours worth the time and effort you invest.
It has been eye opening to see the wide gap in attitudes/ effort from one employee to the next. I believe that is one of the hardest things I have discovered. The challenge of weeding out the personal by the book can make the labourers VERY frustrated with management.
Pros
until recently: Medical, dental, vision, LTD, STD, life insurance, & legal aide ALL for $140/month. that is what kept me during the lean times.
Cons
in the past 3 years my 'benefits' have dropped off, but, the outlay has jumped up. I currently loose half my check to taxes and 'benefits'
Management looks out for themselves and don't care about the rest of the empoyees
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJanuary 17, 2016
I have worked at target for 5 years and have finally decided to leave because I can no longer work for people who continuously say one thing and do another. Management promises promotions to their team members but never promotes them but continues having them do the work of an assistant manager for free believing that they will eventually get promoted. I have seen this happen several times to co-workers who eventually realize what management is doing and are forced to quit because there is no room for growth. Also all the managers are males except for HR and the lead of the clothing area.The areas that get payed more are electronics, p fresh, backroom, and bike builders. All those jobs are offered to the male employees first and if they feel none of then are qualified then they ask the females. The claim its an equal opportunity work place but they don't give everyone a fair chance to apply. We don't know when openings are available and when there are they already have people in mind for them so there is no point.
Pros
Co workers
Cons
Decent place to work but unfortunately limiting hours
Electronics Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Marquette, MIJanuary 22, 2016
This is a nice place to work, and I really enjoy my job. I get to interact with customers primarily in the electronics department, but I also am in toys, sporting goods, market and more. Target won't give me the necessary hours to receive benefits, and are reducing hours store wide to the point that I cannot even support myself even though I am working hard.
Pros
Great atmosphere, great management, sales
Cons
Hours are being cut, benefits are nonexistent, could never be a permanent job
One of the Best places to work
Stock Selector (Current Employee) –  Tucson, AZFebruary 3, 2016
Work days are 10 hours 4 days a week. I learned how to operate multiple job functions within a warehouse setting. Management was always available for help and to answer questions. Friendly and knowledgeable co-workers. Hardest part of the job is becoming permanent. Only way to become permanent is after seasonal contract is up and based on business need. The starting pay was the best part. Target was the highest paying job I have had.
Pros
Competitive Wages
Cons
Seasonal work to start
Great!
Sales Floor Team Lead (Current Employee) –  Tyler, TXMarch 14, 2016
Love the company and most importantly the people. Very interested in helping people advance. There is a lack of transparency and you do need to do all the asking and digging when it comes to proper training and moving up the corporate ladder. Great team, great benefits, great culture.
Pros
Great benefits and team culture.
Cons
No proper training.
not good for people that are not submissive to any and everything
Guest Services Representative (Former Employee) –  Mechanicsville, VAJanuary 18, 2016
if you are not the favorite or the butt kisser then you dont get hours. i learned that people are miserable in their life long careers and that most management in retail are very miserable. co-workers where nice and the hardest part was how nasty people are just because they know they can be. the most enjoyable part was meeting people that you see come in the store often and being very helpful to people that want or need help.
Pros
discount
Cons
not enough hours
Could be better
Price Accuracy Team Member (Former Employee) –  Overland Park, KSNovember 2, 2015
There's always room for improvement, it would be great if they hired more managers and executive team leads that have more experience in the location they were going to manage instead of taking kids straight out of college with no leadership experience.

Too many leaders trying to assert their authority because they lack the skills to lead their teams which resulted in disgruntled team members who felt they were not being treated fairly, and justly so.

Too many hours cut in all departments, my Pricing department was especially neglected to the point where 40 hour workload days were only supplied with 14 man hours to complete the day's quota.

Unacceptable. And no one who cared but the team members.

Benefits were too expensive to pay for and entirely not worth the trouble, and the raises were unfair and almost nonexistant. No incentives, no recognition-- only when it was convenient for leadership.

Would not recommend for long term employment, would never work for Target again.
Pros
Fellow Coworkers, initially the schedule was consistent and reliable
Cons
poor leadership, poor benefits, not worth the pay
exciting but stressful workplace
Backroom Stocker (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PADecember 18, 2015
my typical day is coffee at starbucks then backroom stock work.ranging from replenishing the sales floor customer service requests. reverse logistics, bales of cardboard,running powerjacks .learned and got certicates in operating equipment I never did. management wasn't that great when I was employed a lot of them were fired. my co workers were great and kind. hardest part of that job was leaving a person by they self with a shipment of tasks that's impossible for one man or woman to get done. the fun part was winning prizes game events and recognizing your work in team huddles
Pros
free, food, games and prizes
Cons
short breaks
Its fun but...
Food Service Worker (Current Employee) –  Pomona, CAJanuary 4, 2016
Its a great place to work, everyone's great, the environment and the management, the only thing is, its so hard to move up in the corporate ladder. Ive been there two years and no raises or promotions were ever presented to me no matter how much i asked.
Pros
Discout 10%, long lunch 45 mins, everyones nice
Cons
Hard to move up.
Love Target!
Team Leader (Current Employee) –  MichiganJanuary 27, 2016
Fast-paced rewarding retail setting. The greatest and hardest working team I've ever work with so far in my work history. Pay is good and having the option of benefits is great. Always opportunity for advancement. I personal have held multiple positions in several departments and have had several leadership positions at several locations. Work, life, balance can be a challenge but always had lots of vacation and personal time that could be used.
Wonderful Environment
Overnight Stocker (Former Employee) –  Charter Township of Clinton, MIFebruary 11, 2016
Loved the flexibility, recognition everyone received for their hard work, along with the advancement opportunities, pay increases was very fair and often. Co-workers were friendly, I made life long friends there. Within 2 years I advanced to team trainer, it was a wonderful experience, I would have so say being team trainer had to be the most enjoyable part of my job.
Pros
Work hours, co-workers
Cons
Change of management to often